food I miss by not living there anymore.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
cyrano
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/03 21:37:36 (permalink)
quote:
And actual butcher shops where they make their own sausage and hot dogs.

Go to Shiner, get there during daylight hours on any day other than Sunday, look for the tall spire of the Catholic church on the edge of town, and find the grocery store next to it. It's Patek's, an amazing meat market. Yeah, they make sausage with jalapenos, but they also make far more subtle-tasting sausage (ask for their regular pork and beef mix). Put it on ice, drive home, steam it in a little water in a covered skillet. Wonderful.

Oh yeah, Robb Walsh has raved about their hot dogs too. I wouldn't know, I always fill the cooler with Shiner sausage, an elemental food in our family for four generations. But there you are, made from scratch hot dogs by master butchers.

The church is pretty special too.
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/03 21:37:54 (permalink)
cyrano, i can relate..when i get a real hankering for tex mex, i go to pancho's.
now THAT is desperation.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/03 23:34:09 (permalink)
In Dallas: A little tip for you Chicago expats that miss a good Polish deli. If you don't already know about "Euro Deli" at the SW corner of Central and Forest Lane in Dallas, you might just take yourself there and once inside you will be transported back to Chicago to a great Polish style deli serving hot Polish specialties and the best selection of hams, sausages and even stuffed duck salami. All imported from, where else? Chicago! Their "cold cut" selection is the best! The warm and friendly owners are a lovely Polish family all eager to help with your selections. A huge selection of imported Polish and East European candy, canned goods, etc. are available as well.
No, I am neither from Chicago or a relative. Nor do I work there. Just a happy customer.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2403
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/04 00:05:44 (permalink)
From the time I lived in Boston, I'm missing the carnitas burritos at Anna's Taqueria in Brookline, the corned beef hash from the B&D Deli, sweet potato fries w/tarragon mustard dipping sauce at Johnny's Luncheonette, Grape Nuts ice cream from Toscanini's, a pie from Pizzeria Regina, Roast Beef sandwiches from Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere, wild mushroom risotto from Trattoria Il Panino in the North End, the Haymarket on the weekends, and weekend trips to my aunt's place in New Harbor, Maine when we'd go to Shaw's for a seafood feast!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15272
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/05 08:39:10 (permalink)
Earlier this weekend, both Janet and I got a real desire for a good (cold) Roast Beef Sub. I introduced her to that particular sandwich on one of our trips to the Philly/NJ area, where we were able to do a couple of the local subshops near Veterans Stadium/South Broad Street. I don't remember names, but they had the best rolls, and meat and the trimmings made for a good sandwich. To shorten the story a bit, We wanted that sort of item.... but had absolutely no options within 25 miles to consider. I am not sure if in the entire Louisville area there is a place that makes sandwiches that could match the local ones found in So.Philly or NJ. I lived in NJ for 6 years, and have few 'good' memories of the area. But their sandwiches were indeed of superior quality at moderate prices.

What we settled for from a 'Quiznos' about 13 miles from here was disgusting. It did not come close to ringing the bell for me. Duffy got my second half, even though I was very hungry and the damn sandwich cost close to $9.00.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8358
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/05 08:57:24 (permalink)
There was a sub shop in the Milw.area in the 70s called Suburpia.Just loved them!!!They closed up and I have been searching for a suitable substitute since.While I have come upon good subs(and Al,I agree on the Quiznos)they just werent the same.Well, lo and behold, about a year ago,Suburpia returned!!!!!They are exactly as I remember them...And the nice part is they are out here in the western suburbs so I do not have to drive into the city.Miracles DO happen!
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/05 13:35:04 (permalink)
One of my favorite bread items are Bolos Levados....
Portuguese Sweet Muffins.
They were a staple for breakfast and lunch...
The Portuguese population in Massachusetts has made some good eats.
I now buy them online ... get my fix for about a two months for $20 bucks......
These are the best ones I have found.

http://ccdsonline.zesthost.com/amaralsbakery/muffins.asp
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/05 17:21:54 (permalink)
Al,

Have you tried Boar’s Head roast beef? It’s always rare, just the way I like it, I get it sliced very thin. If I’m going to load it up I get fresh, soft sub rolls; for a creamy horseradish and mustard with RB only I like a crusty sub roll.

John
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2403
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/05 22:34:23 (permalink)
John, Boar's Head also makes a horseradish cheddar that I used to get at Stop-N-Shop supermarkets when I worked in Western MA. It had a really great kick to it and counterpeople at the market were very nice and would let me try a sample before buying it.
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/06 19:56:57 (permalink)
Cyrano-
I feel your pain...we moved from Houston to Topeka. I'd kill for a Whataburger, James Coney Island, original Ninfa's and Lopez Mexican Restaurtant in Stafford. I miss picking up kolaches after Mass on Sunday mornings, too.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6371
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/06 19:59:22 (permalink)
When you miss it go back to it. That's what I did with deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches after nearly 40 years. I might add in a big way.
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1509
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/06 20:08:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy62

From Southern California:

I miss Armenian markets. I've only found one or two here, and they don't sell locally made zoolobiyeh (sp?). I can't find yoghurt sodas here, or store-made cracked green olives with lemon. This is Fresno, there must be Armenian markets someplace, maybe I just don't know where to look?

From Lafayette Indiana:

My sons miss Pizza King pizza. Not just the restaurant experience, with the out-of-date games, the cartoons and the train bringing around your orders. The pizza, because kids are weird.

They also miss Purple Cow Superman flavor ice cream from Meijer.

I miss farmers along the roads in deep Summer, selling really ripe tomatos out of the backs of their trucks. Also having a Cobblestone and a bottomless cup of coffee at Panera.

Wendy.. Ashlan and Fresno Streets next to DaVinci's Pizza is a good armenian market..
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/09 18:48:57 (permalink)
I left New Mexico for Georgia 24 years ago and have never regretted it. As wonderful as my home area was, I enjoy Atlanta more. However, green chile cheeseburgers, real New Mexico sopaipillas, and Navajo tacos, and mutton stew are only a memory now. The culinary variety of metro Atlanta far surpasses my hometown of 20,000 people - but there are still foods from home that I miss. Maybe next summer!
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/10 09:27:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Earlier this weekend, both Janet and I got a real desire for a good (cold) Roast Beef Sub. I introduced her to that particular sandwich on one of our trips to the Philly/NJ area, where we were able to do a couple of the local subshops near Veterans Stadium/South Broad Street. I don't remember names, but they had the best rolls, and meat and the trimmings made for a good sandwich. To shorten the story a bit, We wanted that sort of item.... but had absolutely no options within 25 miles to consider. I am not sure if in the entire Louisville area there is a place that makes sandwiches that could match the local ones found in So.Philly or NJ. I lived in NJ for 6 years, and have few 'good' memories of the area. But their sandwiches were indeed of superior quality at moderate prices.

What we settled for from a 'Quiznos' about 13 miles from here was disgusting. It did not come close to ringing the bell for me. Duffy got my second half, even though I was very hungry and the damn sandwich cost close to $9.00.

Al--you are right, NJ has the best bread & rolls. Try Thumanns roast beef if you can get it near you. Made here in NJ & always perfect from the deli. Yeah--Quiznos sucks--I can't even stomach the pictures in their ads--the meat looks like wet rubber is there Blimpie near you? They have always been pretty good for a chain.
Bulldozer Rectangle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/10 14:23:41 (permalink)
Fried clams, good donuts, and pizza.

Cyrano, I'm down in your old home and love the food. Those 3 above though... not happening down here.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/10 18:02:38 (permalink)
Coming from Miami, Fl.. I miss ALL Cuban food, the GREAT Jewish Deli's, Italian grocery stores.
So.. Its hard to say what I really miss in particular, since there are so many I do miss....
And still cant get decent ribs after 8 months here in South Carolina!
Bwahahahahahahahahah............
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/10 18:04:05 (permalink)
Why is this in the hamburger thread anyway?
Did I miss something?
cyrano
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/11 00:08:00 (permalink)
quote:

Cyrano, I'm down in your old home and love the food. Those 3 above though... not happening down here.

Totally sympathize on items 1 and 3-- even the best pizza Houston has to offer (probably Star Pizza, at least it was when I was there) can't compare to the merely competent pizza of NYC.

But I recommend catching Shipley's when the doughnuts are fresh, typically early in the morning. Yeah, it's a chain, but they always had good quality control in the branches.
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/11 13:06:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cyrano

quote:

Totally sympathize on items 1 and 3-- even the best pizza Houston has to offer (probably Star Pizza, at least it was when I was there) can't compare to the merely competent pizza of NYC.

But I recommend catching Shipley's when the doughnuts are fresh, typically early in the morning. Yeah, it's a chain, but they always had good quality control in the branches.

I love Shipley's too, but only when they're warm; the recipe includes unflavored gelatin which makes them soak up more grease and they're pretty awful cold. I've always heard the best place to get them is the N. Main location which is open 24 hours and always has them hot but I think there are several locations throughout the area that make them fresh throughout the day.

Bulldozer Rectangle - have you tried Christy's donuts at W. Gray and Montrose. They specialize in the cake style donuts which may be what you're looking for.

You made some excellent recommendations on pizza on a thread a few months back; I've found the one I like best for thin crust pizza is Napoli but what do I know about pizza?...I'm a Houston native .
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/11 14:55:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by billyboy

John, Boar's Head also makes a horseradish cheddar that I used to get at Stop-N-Shop supermarkets when I worked in Western MA. It had a really great kick to it and counterpeople at the market were very nice and would let me try a sample before buying it.

Hey Billyboy,

You're right about the HorseyCheddar. Absolutely delish! We still get it here in AZ at better Safeway grocery stores that have a REAL deli.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/13 14:57:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by billyboy

Thanks billyboy,

I'll look for it.

John

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/15 08:46:01 (permalink)
I truely believe that its the rolls that make so.jersey and the philly area hoagies and cheesesteaks what they are. Add to the aforementioned , soft pretzels soaked in car exhaust, scrapple. pork roll (I just had a "fix" because my daughter brought some back from her trip) Drink-a-Toast (boost)we get it shipped here but use it sparringly a big change from when it was available at the corner store. The Philadelphia Inquierier or the Bulletin (our sunday paper is barely an insert to those)Tasty Takes, franks soda (whisahiken black cherry or vanilla cream) Seasides itallian sausage sandwich. Theres probably others I cant think of at the moment
Bulldozer Rectangle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/15 16:57:07 (permalink)
I've actually never tried Napoli. I'll give it a go.

As for Christys and Shipleys... you two picked the best 2 in town. But nothing compares to the chocolate cake donut at Coffee An' in Westport CT. I think it would be my last meal request. Or at least the dessert portion.

I still think I worked out better in the deal having access to good Mexican. So sorry...
Wendy62
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/11/15 17:49:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4
Wendy.. Ashlan and Fresno Streets next to DaVinci's Pizza is a good armenian market..

Thank you, Jennifer, I knew there had to be one someplace.
Tootiered
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/12/05 23:17:46 (permalink)
Indiana: Pizza King, White Castle, Pork Tenderloin sandwiches, Sugar Cream Pie!!

Buffalo: Anchor Bar Wings

Pennsylvania: Amish sausage

Annapolis: Blue crabs!!!!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/12/06 01:37:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Tiki,
Hate to interrupt the thread, but... I FOUND YOUR RECORD!!! Yes, I found you a nice copy of "Since I Fell For You" by Lenny Welch on the CADENCE original. E-mail me again at ort30601@hotmail.com and give me your address in lovely downtown Rentiesville. I think your record cost me all of 25 cents at Records Galore in Clarkston, Georgia.
Missing Step (Cadence Went Out Of Business In 1965), Ort. Carlton in Marching To Stay Warm Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Moderator: please let this one in. This has been my quest for a couple of years now, and I wanted others to know of my -- and subsequently his -- success.

Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/12/06 01:46:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Milt
I left New Mexico for Georgia 24 years ago and have never regretted it. As wonderful as my home area was, I enjoy Atlanta more. However, green chile cheeseburgers, real New Mexico sopaipillas, and Navajo tacos, and mutton stew are only a memory now. The culinary variety of metro Atlanta far surpasses my hometown of 20,000 people - but there are still foods from home that I miss. Maybe next summer!

Milt,
I don't know about the mutton stew or the Navajo tacos, but you ought to be able to find sopapillas (made from scratch) and green chile cheeseburgers in Atlanta somewhere. Have you been over to the Mexican place on Chattahoochee Avenue, right off Marietta Boulevard? It's owned and run by gringos, but Mexicans eat there.
The Buford Highway-Peachtree Indistrial Blvd. area has just about anything. You can also look through the Thursday Food & Drink section of the Atlanta paper; there's a column where you can write in and ask for what you're looking for.
Good luck; let us know what you find.
Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in Nearby Athens, Georgia.
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/12/06 01:56:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldozer Rectangle

I still think I worked out better in the deal having access to good Mexican. So sorry...

Vurry innaresting! I wish you and Texianjoe would do a thread on Mexican in Houston. I've mostly stuck with old tried and true favorites and turned to Tex-Mex for comfort food only occasionally. I think you two know much more about what's available than I and I'd love to pick up some pointers.

The chocolate cake donut sounds awesome.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/12/07 15:46:11 (permalink)
When I am in NYC I miss my chile, but when I am in NM I sure do miss my Tasti-D-Lite!!!!!
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2006/12/08 12:25:35 (permalink)
Tasti-D-Lite? Is that one of those non-fat, lo-cal, non-dairy, Kosher frozen dessert miracles they only sell in the tri-state area?

At one time the big one was Skimpy Treat. It sort-of lost popularity after the Times food editors looked into it and discovered that, yes, it could be as lo-cal as they say if prepared according to factory standards, but no-one in the City did, or could, actually serve it that way.

Anyway, the Skimpy Treat connection near my work was a Korean fried seafood outlet, one of the ones that were all called some variation of "Sea World," although we called it "World of Grease." We used to joke about going downstairs for a shrimpy treat or a cone of haddock. Fried whiting & chips with slaw was $3.50, broasted chicken leg and fries $1.95. I sure miss the cheap fish & chips and broasted chicken and the sesame oil infused rice.

But then, judging from how the neighborhood of 59th and 9th has developed since I left, I'd probably miss it if I were there.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1