The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

food I miss by not living there anymore.

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 101
NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Sat, 12/9/06 10:05 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

Tasti-D-Lite? Is that one of those non-fat, lo-cal, non-dairy, Kosher frozen dessert miracles they only sell in the tri-state area?

At one time the big one was Skimpy Treat. It sort-of lost popularity after the Times food editors looked into it and discovered that, yes, it could be as lo-cal as they say if prepared according to factory standards, but no-one in the City did, or could, actually serve it that way.

Oh yes, T-D-L is a non-fat, non-sugar, non-nutritious "frozen dessert" that is totally addictive and quite the NYC cult thing. I have written about it in "desserts" forum, but it has gone unrecognized by RF. Such a shame! In fact the weather's 14 degress here, and I think I might just go out and get me some!

corabeth

• Total Posts: 157
    RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Sun, 12/10/06 12:42 PM (permalink)
    From West Virginia:

Hot dogs with chili, slaw, onions,mustard

Real sweet tea

Anything my mother cooks or bakes. She is the best cook & baker that I have ever seen in 59 years.

BunnySlippers

• Total Posts: 126
      RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Sun, 12/10/06 12:52 PM (permalink)
      Takeout Teriyaki pork or chicken from Seattle. There's nothing like it here in NC.

boilermaker

• Total Posts: 55
        RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Tue, 01/26/10 7:29 PM (permalink)
        Wendy62

From Lafayette Indiana:

My sons miss Pizza King pizza. Not just the restaurant experience, with the out-of-date games, the cartoons and the train bringing around your orders. The pizza, because kids are weird.

It's gotta be a local thing. Pizza King and Arni's. Pretty much the same thing. I moved back to LAF in August and so far have been able to avoid them.

Lord, I miss date shakes. Years ago, you could drive along the Pacific Coast Highway and there would be little shacks and lunch trucks with signs saying "Date Shakes." When I last lived in SoCal, my job would take me out to Palm Springs monthly, so I would stop by Hadley's in Cabazon.

Was out in Arizona and had to stop off in Dateland for a shake.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
          RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Tue, 01/26/10 7:43 PM (permalink)
          Capial Lunch hot dogs
          Blackies hot dogs
          Franklin Ave. Giant Grinders
          Pizza Pal
          99 Resturaunt
          Chucks Steakhouse
          Stew Leonards

all in central Connecticut

MiamiDon

RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Tue, 01/26/10 7:57 PM (permalink)
            Whoa, a 3-year thread revival!

dadetigl

• Total Posts: 116
              RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Tue, 01/26/10 8:32 PM (permalink)
              Cincinnati: Skyline Chili, et al.
              New Orleans:  Roast beef and swiss Po-boy/ Acey's Pool Hall.

Large Man

• Total Posts: 75
                RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Tue, 01/26/10 8:41 PM (permalink)
                Hoagies in New Jersey and fresh seafood in North Florida.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                  RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Wed, 01/27/10 5:27 PM (permalink)
                  I thought I posted on this a couple years ago but I was mistooken

Lindseyup67

• Total Posts: 175
                    RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Wed, 01/27/10 6:28 PM (permalink)
                    Hate to be lame...but I am from downstate Michigan...and I miss.........White Castle's (not just their burgers, but their sides of fried clams), the BEST damn pizza and subs in the world at Green Lanterns tavern (Michael and Jane, you NEED to experience this..and all the awesome Chinese restaurants that are to be had in that neck of the woods!!!!!!

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                      RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Wed, 01/27/10 9:02 PM (permalink)
                        Chipotle chicken tacos from The Mecca Restaurant and Cantina in Wickenburg, AZ. I make them at home but it is not the same.

The Kentucky Hot Brown at Phantom Canyon Brewery in Colorado Springs,CO. I make these at home but alas, not the same.

JMHO

David O.

boilermaker

• Total Posts: 55
                        RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Wed, 01/27/10 9:27 PM (permalink)
                        sk bob

Blackies hot dogs
                        Stew Leonards

all in central Connecticut

I never lived there, but did spend considerable time there in 2004-2005. Blackies was a favorite of mine, too.

It's interesting the threads one finds when searching for places to eat while traveling ;)

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                          RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Wed, 01/27/10 10:22 PM (permalink)
                          I moved from Brooklyn to New Jersey years ago when my daughter was a baby, so it's not far enough to have never gone back, and the food isn't all that different anyway.

But what I do miss is having a tavern on practically every corner, including right up the block from where my wife and I lived before moving to NJ. We could knock off a bottle of wine over Friday night pizza and just walk home, or I could watch Monday night football or baseball with the boys over several beers. Now I gotta drive everywhere.

cameron074

• Total Posts: 135
                            RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Wed, 01/27/10 10:56 PM (permalink)
                            Buffalo wings from Porkys in Shelton, Connecticut. I lived less than a mile away after moving from Milford. If I had to eat 1 restaurants buffalo wings for the rest of my life I'd be honored if it was from Porkys. I need to make a trip...

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
                              RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Thu, 01/28/10 6:47 AM (permalink)
                              From Central Pa....

Subs and Pizza from the O.I.P. (Original Italian Pizza) Milroy, Pa. There are othe locations this one is my favorite.

Hotdogs w/everything from Laskarisis in Lewistown Pa.

Sausage, Scrapple, Bacon, Souse, from Peachey's Market in Barrville, Pa.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Thu, 01/28/10 10:02 AM (permalink)
                                Although I've never actually lived in North Carolina, I've spent such a sizable part of my life there that, here at home in the Chicago area, I tend to be preoccupied with all the Tarheel goodies that I can't get around here. Country ham, sausage biscuits, Carolina 'que, sweet tea, hushpuppies, fried apple pies... the list goes on and on.

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
                                  RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Thu, 01/28/10 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                  Moved from upstate NY (Mid Hudson area) to Dallas 25 years ago- went back one time almost 11 years ago- miss the most...... Friendly's ice cream, Texas Hot Weiners, really good pizza, and decent Chinese food. When we first moved here- their idea of "good" Italian food was Chucky Cheese- it's a little better now, but not much. As for Chinese, I still haven't found any place that can do it like up north- I swear, it must be the water! As for Texas Hots, I make my own sauce ( I have George's recipe) and I order my top cut buns from Famous Foods!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15057
                                    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Thu, 01/28/10 12:18 PM (permalink)
                                     We've lived in several parts of the USA, West, East, NorthEast, and Midwest, but the move that has affected us the most in terms of homesick for the food was our move from SoCal to Louisville in 2000.

Now I am not complaining, as we have gained some great BBQ and Midwest/Southern Fusion foods that have really added to our "favorites" list. However we do miss some things that seemed to be 'more available' or just better out there.

Burgers- Farmer Boys and In n Out!

Mexican
                                    - Casa Delicious by the tracks in Hesperia. Very low key but super Mexican food and tons of trains to watch while enjoying it !

Chinese
                                    - Laugh if you will, but my favorite (non-Burger) FF in SoCal was Panda Express. I love the Orange Chicken and Pork BBQ with Noodles Combo plate. Again, this was then taken to a RR overlook to be enjoyed as the trains rolled by!

Chicken- I do avoid KFC these days. Our favorite FF Chicken now comes from Popeyes....but I would like to do some El Pollo Loco now and then and there are none within a reasonable drive of us.

Desserts- We have excellent Ice Creams, and the Pies here in the Midwest are easy to find and quite good, but I miss the annual Marie Callandars Pie Sale ( February) When whole pies go on sale at all the M C bakery/restaurants. We would really pig-out on the pie during that month-long sale. We can buy MC pies for home baking or just thaw and serve, but they aren't quite the same as those Fresh from the Oven Pies we found each winter in SoCal.

From an earlier Generation--  From my College Days in Mass. (Salem State)-  Whole-Belly Clams, Indian Pudding, Putnam's Pantry Ice Cream, Fried Fish Cakes, and Moxie.

From a 4 year stint teaching in Upstate NY (Oswego State)-  Hot Ham Sandwiches from Eddies in Sylvan Beach. Maple Syrup made in a wood-fired evaporator at my neighbors farm, using sap from our own Maple trees.

6 years in New Jersey  gave us some good Subs and Salt Water Taffy...and thats about all.

<message edited by mayor al on Sun, 01/31/10 12:16 PM>

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                                      RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Thu, 01/28/10 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                      nocarolina

Although I've never actually lived in North Carolina, I've spent such a sizable part of my life there that, here at home in the Chicago area, I tend to be preoccupied with all the Tarheel goodies that I can't get around here. Country ham, sausage biscuits, Carolina 'que, sweet tea, hushpuppies, fried apple pies... the list goes on and on.

I'll agree here..while I, too, never lived in NC, I did spend several summers there decades ago...and I miss footlongs with cole slaw....homemade hushpuppies, great country ham...and correctly made grits!!!!!...oh and those blue ridge mountains near Burnsville NC!!!!I miss southern meals at the Nu-Wray Inn off the Square there!

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                        RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Thu, 01/28/10 1:35 PM (permalink)
                                        Al, I had a Farmer Boys chili burger last week.

Well, 2 of them. With avocado. Delicious.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Fri, 01/29/10 11:20 AM (permalink)
                                          You really enjoy reminding me of them, don't you?  As i said in my first post, I do miss those things...and with the temp in the low teens and threatening skies with ice and Snow forecasted, I miss the whole scene a bit more right now than I might under other circumstances !!

However I can counter with some really good BBQ choices and Hearty Mid-Western Chow that equals many of those things I long for from SoCal.

See you in a few monthes, and we hope to share those Burgers at that time !

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1054
                                            RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Fri, 01/29/10 11:29 AM (permalink)
                                            I used to be stationed in San Diego and I really miss the awesome menudo I could get there. Just not the same here in Texas. But I guess the Migas make up for it.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1054
                                              RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Fri, 01/29/10 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                              Oh yeah and them artery clogging double-double with onions at In and Out.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                                RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Fri, 01/29/10 11:34 AM (permalink)
                                                Lindseyup67

Hate to be lame...but I am from downstate Michigan...and I miss.........White Castle's (not just their burgers, but their sides of fried clams), the BEST damn pizza and subs in the world at Green Lanterns tavern (Michael and Jane, you NEED to experience this..and all the awesome Chinese restaurants that are to be had in that neck of the woods!!!!!!

I love my White Castles in Ohio - are fried clams just available in Michigan?

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                                                  RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Sat, 01/30/10 10:22 PM (permalink)
                                                  i am from chicago ( skokie ) and miss
                                                  lou malnatis
                                                  sarkis
                                                  poochies
                                                  herms
                                                  mannys
                                                  lawrence fisheries fried shrimp
                                                  barnabys
                                                  superdawg
                                                  kauffmans deli
                                                  carsons
                                                  peqods

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                                    RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Sat, 01/30/10 11:17 PM (permalink)
                                                    I lived in Pensacola FL for 16 years--Miss the FRESH Seafood!
                                                    Grouper, Snapper, Shrimp, Crab, Oysters and Deep Fried Mullet Backs!

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
                                                      • Location: Alexandria, VA
                                                      RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Mon, 02/1/10 12:41 PM (permalink)
                                                      I was born and raised in Kalamazoo Michigan.  Left Michigan to go to school in the DC area and been here ever since.  Get ready because I really miss the food back home...okay here we go
                                                      Places/things I miss eating in Kalamazoo MI:

"Request by Radaghast" (now called "Recommended by Doan") Pizza at Bilbos Pizza

Beer Battered Shrimp from Olde Peninsula Brewpub

Prime Rib Steak Sandwich with the special white horseradish type of sauce from Old Burdick's (I think it's not a sandwich now, they turned it into a wrap)

Frosty Boy Ice Cream - I miss the Ice Cream and they had one of the best BBQ Beef Sandwiches I've ever had

The Italian Grinder from Samuel Mancino's

The Chicken Pizzas at the Meijer Grocery Store Pizza Station was the best, believe it or not

The Jumbo Boneless Wings from Lee's Chicken

Soft Tacos from Taco Bob's (used to go here since I was a kid when it was in the little space in Downtown K-zoo)

One of the best Chicken Salad Sandwiches I ever had at Sandwich Express Downtown Kalamazoo

Shrimp with Chili Sauce or anything else from Hunan Gardens (best Chinese I've ever had)

Chili and Cheese Hot Dogs from Coney Island

6 egg sausage and cheese omelette from Colonial Kitchen

The Chicken Deluxe Sub or the Colossal Sub from Roma's Pizza

BBQ Rib Tips or the Catfish Dinner from the BBQ Pit

The Three Cheese Olga's Gyro from Olga's Kitchen

The best California Reuben Sandwich ever...at University Roadhouse

Anything is good at Blue Dolphin Greek Restaurant

Ok ok...let me stop....that's all folks

<message edited by IntelligentT82 on Mon, 02/1/10 1:55 PM>

eyejms

• Total Posts: 1
                                                        • Location: St. Charles, MO
                                                        RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Mon, 02/1/10 5:34 PM (permalink)
                                                        The food I miss most are the Flint-style Coney Dogs from Flint Michigan.   The TSA no longer allows coney sauce in your bag..... Damn  those terrorists.
                                                        <message edited by eyejms on Mon, 02/1/10 8:10 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                                          • Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                          RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Mon, 02/1/10 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                                          eyejms

The food I miss most are the Flint-style Coney Dogs from Flint Michigan.   The TSA no longer allows coney sauce in your bag..... Dam those terrorists.

The TSA is SO Stupid about some things. No Proactive Planning, Only Reactive Responding. Next thing you know, they'll make us drop our "Pants on the Ground"' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X9AUZoG0I0  so they can check for our exploding Boxers! ( If you've not seen "Pants on the Ground", you gotta watch "The General", Age 62!) LMAO!

I wanted to bring 2 Jars of some really Good Horseradish home from Nashville. I even offered to open it just to watch the TSA person's Nose flair wide open and his eyes to water. I hope he enjoyed eating it as much as I wanted to!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                                            RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. Mon, 02/1/10 8:02 PM (permalink)
                                                            eyejms- Yeah TSA has altered a lot of our 'bring-home' foodie supplies !! I am not sure how Poverty Pete managed to get the 2 Four-Pound pkgs of thick-sliced Bacon in his carry on thru the security in SoCal....but he did it ! AS a result I now have some really good Maple-flavored Bacon again !

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 101

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com