food I miss by not living there anymore.

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
john_1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2010/02/01 22:18:21 (permalink)
OK, I admit I am whacko about food.  Here are life's favorites:

CHICAGO in the 50's:  King's Ribs.  They burned down around 1960, but I grew up eating them.  Last time I had them, I was about 8 years old, but I can still remember them.  No sauce, dry, but I wish I knew what they put on them to make me remember 50 years later.

CHICAGO in recent years:  1.  White castle.  Hadn't been back in a decade, but flew into Midway and first stop before going anyplace else was the one around Ogden and Harlem, though any one would do.

2.  Bohemian Crystal Restaurant in Westmont.  My best friend form high school and his wife took us there for the best Bohemian food I had ever eaten.  I almost dream about that place and can hardly wait to return from San Diego.

3.  White Fence Farm in Romeoville.  Another friend took us here and I had the best steak almost in my life, and my wife still, after 5 years, talks about how delicious the chicken was...crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside.  We used to get it at the to-go place on Harlem in the 60's but I may not have appreciated it so much back then.  NO steak place I have ever been to in the U.S has compared to that steak that night.

4.  Cock Robin in Brookfield by the train station.  Now closed.  I brought a huge bag of burgers back on the plane.  We were on the way to the airport and I bought as much as I could carry.  I was in heaven for a week!

5.  Italian Beef Sandwiches.  There was a place on our way to the near north side from Riverside area.  I have a picture of it and will try to find out what restaurant really tickled my tastebuds.  However, almost ANY Italian Beef in Chicago area flat out beats anything in San Diego.

Champaign, IL, near UIUC:  Really, about my favorite thing in the whole world to eat is PAPA DEL'S PIZZA.  I was a student when they opened for the first time around the corner from that big bookstore on Green St.  I have adored their pizza ever since, and I just read that they ship.  I will have to call later this week.  No website up and running yet, but they say one is on the way.

Paris, FR:  Last time we were there, I had Lasagna Bolognese at the cafeteria on the top (I think) floor of Galeries Lafayette.  Topped with a sauce, can't hink of what it is right now, that kind of semi-fluffy cream sauce.  OMG, it was sooo delicious.

Zurich, Switzerland:  The Kalbfleisch Bratwurst they sell all over town that people walk around eating.  I have a secret supplier here that is very, very close though, but they only sell them at the various street fairs around town.

San Diego:  If I ever leave, and that is doubtful, there are 4 restaurants I would find it hard to live without:

1.  Jack and Giulios for Scampi Giulio.  They have been making the same recipe for like 40 years, and it is as good today as when I first had it in about 1980.

2.  The Grant Grill downtown.  Has the most absolutely delicious "chicken fried steak and eggs" in the world.  "Filet Country-Fried Niman Ranch New York Steak with Apple Wood Smoked Bacon Gravy, Eggs any style, and truffled hash browns" on a custom English Muffin...most of that from their website.  They serve these delicious crispy big cracker things and wonderful bread while you are waiting for your masterpiece to arrive.  Erin has been our server many times, though it is like going to a friend's house for brunch.  She is absolutely wonderful, as is everyone else.  The chef came out once or twice to say hi too.  Wonderful place.  Not quite road food, but it is near a road.  Well worth the trip from ANYPLACE!

3.  Siesel's Meats in Bay Park:  Many things in there are to die for, but grab a roast beef sandwich from the deli counter.  It is the best RB I have ever had.  Wonderful store to wander around for unusual meats, and the butcher area has deeelicious meats of all kinds.

4.  Used to love the Iowa Porker Breakfast at Valley House in Santee.  They closed though.  Best fried pork tenderloin floating on a lake of cream gravy next to an island of fantastic hashbrowns.  OMG. Too bad they turned it into Filippi's Pizza, though Filippi's might be number 5 for me.  I used to love Square Pan Pizza in La Jolla.  They closed in the 70's though.

5.  Used to love Anthony's, but they changed the shrimp in their salads and I swear the Mama's Platter, or whatever it is called, changed too.  I won't supply any more details, but we don't go there much anymore, though the Fishette is still on our list.  It was much better 30 years ago though too back when SD had half as many people as it does now. 

I could probably go on for a few more, but that is it for now. 

We will be going to New York to see Manhattan sometime this year, and hope to find a lot of new favorites.

Regards.
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2010/02/02 07:55:59 (permalink)
Well, considering I have lived in the Dayton, OH vicinity my whole life there isn't anything I miss by not living here per say, but there are a few things I miss because they just aren't around anymore.

1) Willihana's Asian Buffet - Used to be this great little Asian buffet within 5 min of my parents house. Had the best out of any of the dishes that I love: General Tso's, Vegetable Lo Mein, Crab rangoon, and dumplings. Alas they closed down a short while ago and haven't found the right replacement. Their old spot is now occupied by Grub Steak.

2) Casa Lupita's - Was a great little Mexican restaurant that had the best breakfast brunch that I can ever remember with wonderful waffles made to order, mounds of perfectly cooked bacon and of course sopapillas. It has been closed for a good 10 years at least now. It's old spot is now occupied by Carver's Steak house.
vindelicato
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2010/02/02 09:55:16 (permalink)
I haven't actually lived there, but when I go out west to NW Arkansas to visit the in-laws, two places I have to eat at every time are AQ in Springdale (chicken tenders, chicken "over the coals", fried dill pickle chips, huge fried mushrooms) and Catfish John's in Rogers (tons of good cornmeal coated catfish for a cheap price).

Also, on the trips out there, when we take the "northern" route from Northern VA (along I-70), I have to stop at least one time at a White Castle...CraveCase time!

Finally, I love going to Steak n' Shake on our trips out there. First one we hit is in Ohio, just across the WV line...perfectly timed for lunch. Though Culver's Butterburgers are pretty good too.

D-mn, now I'm getting hungry!
HPlatz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2010/02/02 10:25:20 (permalink)
Tony's screamers and growlers from Girardville, PA.  Similarly, Marrone's and Centiole's pizza.  Two hour ride one way to get that stuff now.  It's a rare treat and not sometihng always handy now.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2010/02/02 10:29:41 (permalink)
From Hannibal, MO - pork tenderloins and homemade root beer from the Dinette.  No better place in the area to get a good tenderloin - you sure can't get them in St. Louis....

From Columbia, MO - pizza from Shakespeare's - if this place was in NY, it would have a national following!
                                -burgers from Booche's, as well as their chili -  what more can you say about a burger slapped on a piece of waxed paper and handed to you hot from the grill?
                               - pizza and gyro's, as well as steak, from G & D -  just a nice friendly neighborhood spot....

From Peoria, Il - sandwiches and bread from Avanti's; the italian bread they use is a little sweet, and takes a bit of getting used to; but the flavor and the texture is great.

From Dayton and Kettering, OH - Cassano's and Mama DiSalvo's
                              - steaks from the Pine Club.
                              - grilled seafood from Jay's

Cassano's is an acquired taste, but there's nothing else like it. 

cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1619
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2010/02/03 16:44:03 (permalink)
john_1 

We will be going to New York to see Manhattan sometime this year, and hope to find a lot of new favorites.

Regards.

When there, try a breakfast of bacon, egg & cheese on a NYC Hard Roll. I really miss those down here.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3139
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2010/02/03 16:49:19 (permalink)
cavandre

john_1 

Regards.

When there, try a breakfast of bacon, egg & cheese on a NYC Hard Roll. I really miss those down here.
We really miss them here also.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10071
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2010/02/03 19:16:16 (permalink)
cavandre

john_1 

Regards.

You can get Bacon, Egg & Cheese anywhere-----But there's absolutely Nothing that can replace a NY City Hard Roll!
 I've heard the NYC Water System is what makes for all the good Bakery Products in NYC.It comes down from Upstate NY via a viaduct system. NYC water is rated as one of the best water systems in the country for purity & Clarity! 

post edited by Foodbme - 2010/02/03 19:21:12
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2010/02/04 12:11:31 (permalink)
stlouisguy

Cassano's is an acquired taste, but there's nothing else like it. 

Yes there is, it's called Marion's and it is the superior of the two versions in my opinion. The sauces are pretty much exactly the same as Marion took the recipe from Cassano's when he started Marion's.
sailawayklm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2010/02/04 13:55:22 (permalink)
I miss Sonoran food from South Tucson........nothing like carne asada tacos and a cold Tecate to cure a hangover.  I'm in Colorado now......Rocky Mountain Oysters anyone?
mrh581166
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: food I miss by not living there anymore. 2010/02/06 09:30:14 (permalink)
Oh so many...in my "home away from home Chicago" I definitely miss the Chicago Italian beef sandwich (Mr. Beef on Orleans being my fave -- though Portillo's by mail helps fill the gap).  The double-butter crust thin pepperoni pizza at Lou Malnatis...and, of course, the pan (sorry everyone, Lou's is the best!  And the Uno's chain here in Jersey isn't cutting it...)  The Whoopskidog and strawberry shake at Super Dog on Milwaukee Ave.  The french onion soup at Mity Nice in Water Tower (I really miss the mac & cheese and chicken pot pie, but they changed the recipe, so everyone misses them now!)  My Hebrew Natl with grilled onions behind the third base dugout at Wrigley (though that may have something to do with the atmosphere too!) 

And from my true  home (Texas)?  The yeast rolls at Black-eyed Pea (I know, a chain...but darn fine rolls!)  Love Burgers at the Stockyards.  Cheese & onion enchiladas at El Fenix (again, a chain, but they really are the best!)  Croque monsieur at Bess Bistro in Austin.  Blackberry cobbler at Salt Lick BBQ. 

My mother's round steak (truly, its own food group). 
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1