food packaging

Author
oqanani
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
2012/07/09 07:32:54 (permalink)

food packaging

So I was looking at different options for presenting food and I ran into a really nice food tray.  I was wondering if anyone was running anything unique like this?

13 Replies Related Threads

oqanani
    Hamburger
    Re:food packaging 2012/07/09 07:34:53 (permalink)
    cant post links so its designisblank DOT com /2012/03/guactruck-mobile-eatery/
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:food packaging 2012/07/09 09:09:54 (permalink)
    http://design-milk.com/guactruck-mobile-eatery/

The oragami design?

Here's the thing about packaging. Nobody but you really cares once it's open and you think about all of the time and/or money spent making it so special and pretty. Like Christmas morning. Unless it's especially more functional...what's inside counts. It may also become far less attractive when saucy stuff is rolling around in it and sticking to the flaps.

When it it a somewhat unique design geared for aesthetics and people have to figure out how to open it...not spill it...close it if they want to...eyes roll.

Pickles now come in nice plastic containers. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to open a new container a few weeks ago and had an arm full of pickle juice in that initial process.

Complicated envelope designs that house a check.. All you hope for is to get it open without ripping the check in half. When you have to think on that for a minute...you start to think there must be an easier way when they owe me money in the first place.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/07/09 09:29:19
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:food packaging 2012/07/09 10:20:50 (permalink)

What a nice cozy sitting area for the staff to rest in LOL

I do like the way they incorporated the contact information.

The almost all glass wall shows the cleanliness but what a waste of space

why no cooking equipment? Would an all salads/cold products truck make it here in the USA?

And a single sink (hand wash) only? To do that in Illinois you could only serve prepackaged items. Interesting truck.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:food packaging 2012/07/09 10:22:58 (permalink)
    CCinNJ Pickles now come in nice plastic containers. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to open a new container a few weeks ago and had an arm full of pickle juice in that initial process.

Complicated envelope designs that house a check.. All you hope for is to get it open without ripping the check in half. When you have to think on that for a minute...you start to think there must be an easier way when they owe me money in the first place.

I agree 100% Packaging makes me crazy. LOL
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:food packaging 2012/07/09 10:40:01 (permalink)
    It' looks like a nice place to spend a weekend..AWAY FROM CHILDREN!!! LOL

Another thought about that packaging. Could it be handled easily (for hot stuff) in a mobile food venue without having to use the palm of your hand for support?

When it's windy will it easily be stable? It's usually very windy in this area. So windy we have a new wind turbine that whips around at the end of the block.

Here's a trip report for the truck...

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/guac-truck

From oragami to wax paper?
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/07/09 11:01:13
    oqanani
    Hamburger
    Re:food packaging 2012/07/09 11:14:24 (permalink)
    I agree with you DoB about the truck setup and prepackaged food.  And I can see what CC is saying about packaging.  However as a chef I am always concerned with plating.  We eat with our eyes before our taste buds.  If I can make food more visually appealing this is a good thing.  It doesnt have to be uber fancy or complicated but if it helps in presentation as well as brands the truck.  Why not?

Let me pose a scenario, you are at a food truck rally.  Everyone is using GFS containers, something looks good, you want to try it.  You dont know what truck it came from.  If your packaging branded your truck and anyone who saw it knew right away which truck it was, would it be worth the extra investment? 
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:food packaging 2012/07/09 11:31:36 (permalink)
    100% of your customer base is mobile. They care most about croutons not blowing away on 6th Ave. or getting the food to the final destination without leaks. Your best intentions won't matter if it comes at the risk of accidents or inconveniences because of the different nature of how food is consumed in this venue vs. a restaurant.

At the end of the day...they don't give a s**t about your branding if it takes away from or complicates their mobile dining experience.

If you're at a rally and people get to eat the other vendors food and enjoy it without thinking how does this work? or how am I going to hold this and a drink? while they have to think that way about your offerings...you have little to gain with instant recognition on a package that's a PITA.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/07/09 11:42:42
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:food packaging 2012/07/09 11:43:45 (permalink)
    oqanani Let me pose a scenario, you are at a food truck rally.  Everyone is using GFS containers, something looks good, you want to try it.  You dont know what truck it came from.  If your packaging branded your truck and anyone who saw it knew right away which truck it was, would it be worth the extra investment? 

That's a good question. I find at new events when we serve 50 or so sandwiches, we will have people walk up and order having never even glanced at the menu. It's then that I know (or think anyway) that someone they know or asked recommended our food. I think with the party type atmosphere at events strangers are fast to offer suggestions to other strangers good or bad.  I don't use special packaging maybe I should, I just always thought it was an unnecessary expense. But all the chains do so I may well be dead wrong. 

My big complaint about packaging is trying to get some of them open without having the contents in my lap.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10332
    Re:food packaging 2012/07/10 05:58:11 (permalink)
    oqanani

I agree with you DoB about the truck setup and prepackaged food.  And I can see what CC is saying about packaging.  However as a chef I am always concerned with plating.  We eat with our eyes before our taste buds.  If I can make food more visually appealing this is a good thing.  It doesn't have to be uber fancy or complicated but if it helps in presentation as well as brands the truck.  Why not?

Let me pose a scenario, you are at a food truck rally.  Everyone is using GFS containers, something looks good, you want to try it.  You dent know what truck it came from.  If your packaging branded your truck and anyone who saw it knew right away which truck it was, would it be worth the extra investment? 

I know you came from "Fine Dining" but I think you need to re-tool your thinking to adapt to food truck vending.
    "Plating" is not a major factor in a customers decision to buy food truck food. They want something to eat that's a little different, fast, and reasonably priced. If you spend any time around food trucks you'll notice people shoveling food in their faces out of all kinds of containers. As long as it's easy to eat from, easy to hold and servicable, it doesn't matter what it looks like or if it's "Sustainable". Concentrate of the food, not the packaging.
    Here's some interesting research.
    http://www.restaurant.org/nra_news_blog/2011/09/food-trucks-gaining-momentum-new-research-finds.cfm
    The Midwest lags behind the other regions in Food Truck use and recognition.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:food packaging 2012/07/10 10:34:50 (permalink)
    Spencer on the Go might come closest to a "plating" experience...

http://www.gourmet.com/re...9/bay-area-street-food

Nothing fancy as far as the packaging. However...as someone who has experienced a large variety of NYC mobile food my entire life...a large percentage of people will expect to be able to journey to a destination with the food...in a convenient manner. Many many many people don't just stand there.

If you plate it and then many many people say "ohhh...I need that wrapped." it will slow you down...considerably. Then...when it's 100 degrees? Pouring rain?  No plating. Then the stick in the asses who now expect a 5 Star plating...want to know why the change. Going downhill? Don't care anymore?
    RestaurantBiz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:food packaging 2012/07/17 14:58:39 (permalink)
    I don't think food packaging has to be super slick looking. I think that helps, but most consumers are looking for simplicity and ease of use. 

Something to keep in mind.
    jessicasmith
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:food packaging 2012/08/21 04:16:53 (permalink)
    Interesting. Food packaging is important to ensure the food is safe to eat. If you end up making a quadruple batch of your recipe to share with friends and family every time you make it, you just might have what it takes to make it work for you. Before you do so there are several factors that you should be aware of:
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:food packaging 2012/08/22 09:27:04 (permalink)
    Here's a handheld functional package that gets lots of positive comments...from CheeseBall Wagon customers. Cone with corner cup...

http://foodtruckadventure...rsts-cheeseball-wagon/

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1