food trailer question at the flea market...

Author
koloa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2006/03/22 19:30:40 (permalink)

food trailer question at the flea market...

hi, i will be venturing off into my first attempt at the food business next yr and was wondering if I could get some ideas on what kind of food to serve. i have 4 favorites... garlic shrimp, bbq(ribs, chicken, pulled pork), kabobs(chicken, pork, beef) and fried chicken wings. each category that i like has pros and cons. i was wondering if any experts can give me an idea of what they see at the outdoor flea market that seems successful. like are there any food trucks/trailers that sell out of the ordinary food that seem to do well. i would like to be known for a particular item and do that particular item well.

thanks to all listening

11 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: food trailer question at the flea market... 2006/03/22 22:19:54 (permalink)
    I beleive CSD posted a story about a lady selling shrimp out of a trailer at one time. Figured she was making mega bucks doing it.. But I couldnt find that story.

But here's a couple past discussions that may be of some intrest to ya:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4385

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3716
    Red Sox Nation
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: food trailer question at the flea market... 2006/03/28 16:32:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by koloa

hi, i will be venturing off into my first attempt at the food business next yr and was wondering if I could get some ideas on what kind of food to serve. i have 4 favorites... garlic shrimp, bbq(ribs, chicken, pulled pork), kabobs(chicken, pork, beef) and fried chicken wings. each category that i like has pros and cons. i was wondering if any experts can give me an idea of what they see at the outdoor flea market that seems successful. like are there any food trucks/trailers that sell out of the ordinary food that seem to do well. i would like to be known for a particular item and do that particular item well.
    That food line up would not fly at the flea markets up here in MA. Do your home work check out if any food is being sold presently. If not check out the type of people at these flea markets. Go to the parking lot see if the vehicles are new of older. Your menu is fine the the BMW crowd not people who viit fleamarkets. KISS
    thanks to all listening
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: food trailer question at the flea market... 2006/03/28 17:13:33 (permalink)
    koloa,
    i wish you well. most flea markets in florida won't let you sell as they own the food concessions.
    your menu tho might need some paring down. the best place to start is what one product is your best? after that go to #2 and so on. then figure your food costs which will give you an idea of your selling price. it may take awhile to generate profits and find your best place to sell. do not get discouraged it is all part of the business
    jack
    koloa
    Junior Burger
    RE: food trailer question at the flea market... 2006/03/28 18:27:03 (permalink)
    im sorry, not all of those foods are what I would serve. I was just posting options of what I like.
    koloa
    Junior Burger
    RE: food trailer question at the flea market... 2006/03/28 18:28:26 (permalink)

what type of food would fly in MA? lobster rolls and hotdogs?
    quote:
    Originally posted by Red Sox Nation

quote:

That food line up would not fly at the flea markets up here in MA. Do your home work check out if any food is being sold presently. If not check out the type of people at these flea markets. Go to the parking lot see if the vehicles are new of older. Your menu is fine the the BMW crowd not people who viit fleamarkets. KISS
    thanks to all listening

koloa
    Junior Burger
    RE: food trailer question at the flea market... 2006/03/28 18:29:37 (permalink)
    thanks for the links, they were good reads.

quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

I beleive CSD posted a story about a lady selling shrimp out of a trailer at one time. Figured she was making mega bucks doing it.. But I couldnt find that story.

Kinsman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: food trailer question at the flea market... 2006/03/29 11:25:10 (permalink)
    I have got to agree with Prisonchef here....don't try to do too much at once.
    Depending on what type of events you do, and how many customers you anticipate serving, try to focus on a very simple menu, at least in the beginning. Keep a close eye on your food cost. Quality above anything else counts big in my book, never mind the line of hungry and impatient folks.

Red Sox Nation
    Hamburger
    RE: food trailer question at the flea market... 2006/03/29 13:09:50 (permalink)
    quote:

I found the shrimp lady link http://www.rit.edu/~cma8660/mirror/www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/18c.htm
    Red Sox Nation
    Hamburger
    RE: food trailer question at the flea market... 2006/03/29 13:12:53 (permalink)
    quote:

thanks for the links, they were good reads.

quote:

The two flea markets I go to have the typical concession stand with hot dogs rolling on rollers FF and a grill for hamburgers. When the wether is nice the owner sells sauges with onions and peppers on a seeded roll.
    samo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: food trailer question at the flea market... 2006/03/31 08:31:10 (permalink)
    Hi,
    We are in the concession business.
    Here is my 2 cent worth ;-)

First, contact the Flea Market you think you might want to work.
    Ask them what they need as far as food and drinks. We do a lot of fairs, and they limit the variety of food. For example, if there is a trailer already selling Hot Dogs, more likely, they will not let you sell them.

Then remember, this is a business, and you just can't pull in an start selling. The Flea Market will want you to sign a contract, have Liability Insurance, and the Flea Market will charge you a flat fee, or a percentage of your gross.

Then, once you have decided what food item you want to sell...... make it the best you can. Remember people will only come back to your business if the food is good.

Good Luck!

PS. I have some friends in Florida that sell Chinese Food. Now you wouldn't think that would go good at a Flea Market, you would think, people want a grab food to go, ........but they put out picinic table, and have GREAT food, so they have a good going business. People look forward to going to the Flea Market and having their GOOD Food.
    oldfrt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: food trailer question at the flea market... 2006/04/02 17:58:43 (permalink)
    Back in the early 90's after long thinking of getting outa Corp America and, had a few bucks, I was going to get a trailer and do the Hot Dog thing and Beef in the Midwest. Born and raised in Chicago, I knew Dogs and Beef like "Chicago Style Dog". I was tired of going to Fairs and Flea Markets in Michigan, IL and WI, and seeing "Chicago Style Hot Dogs" signs and getting a Oscar Meyer Wiener, a plain bun, and Ketchup (Ugh).

I went and got quotes for a trailer (Indiana has a lot of places that will build them for yah), Equipment, Quotes from Vienna for dogs and beef, and was ready for my big venture! Not only do something I would love to do but also traveling and meeting more Midwestern people.

Well, then, with a lot of checking around, you just don't drive to a Fair and set up! The Fairs have a "booked" list of concessions and, like someone also said, it may take years to get on that list. Then come the Sanitary Laws (for each State) that you have to apply for and be Licensed. The trailer had to be inspected and you had to pass a class based on Sanitation. You would not believe the rules/laws in Illinois.

Designing a trailer and equipment was easy compared to the legal aspects. I was virtually going to need a full time lawyer on my staff and a marketing VP to book events!

Needless to say, my vision went down the drain but for all of those that still want to run with it, go for it! It is very lucrative, not going to make you a Bill Gates but, can make you very comfortable and there is a market still out there as noted on this forum topic and others.

Once you get over all the legal and financial aspects, and get scheduled for events, you will be on a great path! Good Luck! (I mean this seriously).

Don

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1