The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

food truck powered by????.....

kougs8

• Total Posts: 4
food truck powered by????..... Wed, 07/18/12 5:01 PM (permalink)
First off this is a fantastic forum, a wealth of information for somebody new like me 

I just want to know if any of you have done builds to trucks that are powered under propane, instead of diesel or gas?
Is there any major issues with building a kitchen on the back of a propane powered step van??? Other than the fact that you are riding around with A LOT of propane (for the appliances too!)
what are your thoughts?

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
    Re:food truck powered by????..... Wed, 07/18/12 9:05 PM (permalink)
    There should be no problems. The price for propane is much more attractive over gas/diesel too. Gas here is $3.65....diesel 3.95....
    I paid $1.89 gal for my propane fill today.

roadkillgrill

• Total Posts: 174
      Re:food truck powered by????..... Wed, 07/18/12 11:29 PM (permalink)
      There's  a natural fear of running out of LP. I would hate the thought of running out of Propane at an event and not be able to drive for a refill at midnight. Otherwise might be workable.

Solivares00

• Total Posts: 3
        Re:food truck powered by????..... Thu, 07/19/12 2:28 AM (permalink)
        Do i have to have propane ina set place before inspection or can i take it out and connect then i dont have any cages thats how it came when i bought it

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
          Re:food truck powered by????..... Thu, 07/19/12 9:54 AM (permalink)
          ???

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
            Re:food truck powered by????..... Fri, 07/20/12 12:02 AM (permalink)
            Propane weighs about 4.2 pounds per US gallon, at 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Propane expands 1.5% per 10 degrees. 
            40 gals of propane = 168#
            Gasoline weighs 6.073 pounds per US Gallon.
            40 Gals of Gasoline = 243#
            A difference of 75#
            The differential would be the weight of a gas tank verses the weight of a propane tank.
            Smaller propane tanks such as a 40# tank refer to the amount of propane it will hold. A 20# tank holds 20#'s a 40# tank hold 40#'s etc.. The empty weight of the tank is located on the collar and is marked as T.W (tare weight). You can add 40 to that number and that is the tanks full weight. If you need to know how much propane is in the tank take the total current weight of the tank subtract the empty weight (T.W) from that and divided that number by 4.125 which is the weight per gallon of propane.
            My guess would be that a filled 40 Gal Propane tank would weigh a little less than a Gasoline tank. 
            Next factor is weight distribution. Where's the gas tank and where's the propane tank going to be located?
            EDIT:
            OOOOPS!!!! Forgot you're in Canada! Need to convert to Imperial Gallons????
            <message edited by Foodbme on Fri, 07/20/12 12:06 AM>

kougs8

Re:food truck powered by????..... Fri, 07/20/12 11:39 AM (permalink)
              I think I am confusing everybody down there in the states :)

Up here in canada we have vehicles that run off propane. Exactly the same as a gas or deisil vehicle. You just pull up to the propane pump at the gas station. They converted a lot of step van's to this form of power cause it's cheaper than gasoline.  
              The main issue with it is you loose torque. I haven't bought the step van yet, I was just curious what others thought, but now i realize that you don't have these type of step vans in the USA....my bad :)

RJ's

• Total Posts: 7
                Re:food truck powered by????..... Sun, 07/22/12 6:18 PM (permalink)
                Hey Kougs8, I am in BC as well. Building a food truck on Vancouver Island. I'm pretty sure they have propane powered vehicles in the U.S. Anyways, I understand your question. You should have no problem whatsoever having a propane powered truck. As far as the torque is concerned, if you plan on crossing the Rockies, you can expect some very slow climbs up the hills. Other than that, you should have no problem. If you have a lot of heavy equipment, you will definetely be rolling slowly. I have had many propane vehicles, the fuel savings are huge. Finding propane at gas stations can be a pain in the neck, but other than that, Go for it man!!

kougs8

Re:food truck powered by????..... Mon, 07/23/12 11:28 AM (permalink)
                  hey I am on vancouver island as well!!! 
                  I am deciding what truck to buy right now, and the one i looked at had 2 huge propane tanks underneath, so i was wondering where i could put my grey water tank?
                  Does anyone have pictures of exactly how and where people have hooked them up under their trucks....and can you have a drainage pipe system leading to it? Or does it pretty much have to be underneath the sinks? For example if my sinks are up near the front of the truck can i drain through pipe work to the grey water tank located between the rear axle of the truck?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com