? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz.

Author
Mr&MrsIce
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2012/01/10 18:23:59 (permalink)

? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz.

How do you keep records of your sales? I only ask because I've seen people just put 
money into their apron pocket instead of using a cash register. So I guess what I'm asking is how do you keep records if you are not using a cash registers?

18 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8401
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/10 19:06:53 (permalink)
    Count the cups?

KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/10 19:13:07 (permalink)
    What about counting the cash when your done, subtract what you started with, and that is your sales.

Or are you talking about inventory, how many grape or strawberry you sell?

We vend BBQ, we take cash and occasional debit card but no cash register, maybe ice business is different
    Mr&MrsIce
    Junior Burger
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/10 19:13:50 (permalink)
    lol...I know but how would you show that info to your accountant at tax time?
    Mr&MrsIce
    Junior Burger
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/10 20:01:11 (permalink)
    @KurtSara just the cups. Thanks 4 your help![:)
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/10 20:26:12 (permalink)
    Mr&MrsIce lol...I know but how would you show that info to your accountant at tax time?

If your serious any cash register made today is all you need, once set up you total at the end of the day and save the tape.
    Count the cups to keep your help honest. But I doubt many that are in the shaved ice business are big accountant users.

And I'm not saying that there isn't great money in the ice business and I'm just finding out how complicated it can be. I had no idea that ice can be to cold to shave properly until I recently joined an ice forum. And if your sharp you'll buy the flavors by the largest quantity you can afford, prepare your own sugar water and  make your own mix. And a lot of people on the forum are making there own ice. Do a search online for shaved ice forums. You'll like the imformation exchange.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/10 20:29:22 (permalink)
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/10 22:19:48 (permalink)
    Mr&MrsIce

lol...I know but how would you show that info to your accountant at tax time?

I still enter the daily sale into Quickbooks Pro
    Mr&MrsIce
    Junior Burger
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/10 23:49:35 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone! This has been so helpful!:0)
    ice queen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/11 15:09:03 (permalink)
    I use a highly technical approach to keeping track of my italian ice sales...I put a hash mark on a dated piece of paper for each cup that goes out.  Count up the marks at the end of the day and record in the books (and hang on to the paper just in case).

Stephanie
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/11 16:27:51 (permalink)
    we are going to try and use the Ipad with the Square App to track sales this summer.
    Mr&MrsIce
    Junior Burger
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/13 11:14:16 (permalink)
    Thanks again everyone!:0)
    neonlady
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/19 15:08:07 (permalink)
    I have an Italian Ice business and have been doing events for four years. Some require a register tape as they take a percentage of sales. Some require you take tokens that they sell, and then they pay you out at the end of the event, less their percentage. Most allow you to handle the sales and simply charge a space fee.

When handling our own sales, we start with a "bank" which is counted and noted in a form. ( Bank can be a metal box or an apron, depending on the type of event and volume.) Then at the end of the day, we count the "till" and subtract the starting bank.  We record our sales on a form I have created that also has other info: i.e. Event name, dates and times, notes on the weather, how many food vendors, how many frozen dessert vendors, what we were selling (sometimes we add other things into the mix). Use this form to look back at previous events to determine value and sales. (After doing a lot of these, these notes become very valuable!)

We do have a register, and, at times, have separated out items to see what items sell relative to each other.

Counting cups can be a problem in that sometimes cups fall and have to be trashed, or people ask for an extra cup, or....   this is not a reliable method.

Pat
    Mita's Italian Ice
    post edited by neonlady - 2012/01/19 15:09:11
    Mr&MrsIce
    Junior Burger
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/01/19 16:16:40 (permalink)
    Thanks neonlady!
    Tsboss
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2012/11/07 16:40:16 (permalink)
    I have a chart with sheets on it that I do a cup count each morning and then again a quick one at mid day ( if slow)  then at days end.. I have them drop the money down into a  large box with a slit on top so they cant open it.  ( kinda like a wedding money box)  Any cups that are broke I have them put it in a empty box or any cup they give away I have that written on a sheet as well.. Its not exact science but pretty darn close.  Its just me . my husband  and my sons ..no out side employees yet. I enter everything into the computer on my days off.  I keep these daily sheets incase someone sarts asking questions ( IRS etc) ..

As for when I do fundraising and give a portion of my money then I use a adding machine and keep hitting enter each time I sell one and that adds another 2-3 dollars to the total.. at the end I hit total. and thats the amount I use to split with customer.
    post edited by Tsboss - 2012/11/07 16:49:50
    crazy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2013/07/24 00:01:59 (permalink)
    Sorry for what may be a dumb question. What's the difference between Hawaiian Ice and Italian Ice? I've googled it and haven't gotten an answer I can understand.
    neonlady
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2013/07/24 16:53:00 (permalink)
    Hawaiian Ice is similar to shaved ice. It starts as a block of ice (water) and pieces are "shaved off" and scooped into a cup. Then a flavored syrup is poured over it. Snow cones are similar, but the ice is cut more in crystals as opposed to shaved off the block.

Italian Ice is a recipe that is placed in a large batch freezer, turned and frozen together, resulting in a scoop-able frozen product. The recipes vary greatly, from a sugar water with artificial flavor to a fruit based recipe (like sorbet)  Likewise, prices on product vary, depending on the type and quality of ingredients.
    I hope this helps!
    Pat aka Mita
    Mita's Italian Ice
    www.MitasItalianIce.ocm
    crazy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2013/07/24 23:19:54 (permalink)
    Thank you.
    Sun Spot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:? for people who run shaved ice/italian ice/or sno cone biz. 2013/08/12 17:18:01 (permalink)
    I bought a cash register as one of the events I did required seeing the tape at the end of the day to take their commission.  I've worked at a cup counting event, and it works too.  I do like the cash register as it quickly lets me see how we are doing even during the day.  I also like the cash register as it helps my mathematically challenged help figure out the right amount of change quickly.  However, I use the cash box as the "real" total for bookkeeping.  I don't want to pay taxes because somebody didn't void out a sale or rang things up incorrectly.  I track my daily sales totals in an Excel sheet.  That lets me plan how many to prepare for when I'm at that event next year.  I only sell mini donuts and fresh squeezed lemonade most of the year, it is the bookkeeping (excel sheet) that helped me realize that canned/bottled sodas and water were more hassle than I was getting in sales.  And the cash register was only $100 or so. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1