fritada.... i think that's the name

Author
naxet76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 351
2007/03/19 14:58:28 (permalink)

fritada.... i think that's the name

every year during Easter my husband's 97 year old grandmother makes a dish that I believe she calls "fritada". Her sons buy and slaughter a goat and reserve the blood and some meat. Then she gets the blood and meat and mixes it with spices and cooks it slowly in a large pot. Anyone heard of this?? It's an interesting flavor. I'm of Mexican descent myself but I'd never heard of this until I met my husband. I know my dad's mom and my mom's mom love it. And my husband's paternal grandmother used to make it also *but they called it 'son of a b***h)

6 Replies Related Threads

Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: fritada.... i think that's the name 2007/03/19 15:56:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by naxet76

every year during Easter my husband's 97 year old grandmother makes a dish that I believe she calls "fritada". Her sons buy and slaughter a goat and reserve the blood and some meat. Then she gets the blood and meat and mixes it with spices and cooks it slowly in a large pot. Anyone heard of this?? It's an interesting flavor. I'm of Mexican descent myself but I'd never heard of this until I met my husband. I know my dad's mom and my mom's mom love it. And my husband's paternal grandmother used to make it also *but they called it 'son of a b***h)

Oh yes, good stuff. Some in northern Mexico call it Cabrito en Sangrita, usually served with sliced onions on top. Fritada is the same thing but without the blood and usually with a tomatoe sauce, I guess names are a regional thing. Cabrito has to be still suckling. Otherwise it is the smelliest thing you ever put you nose too. Machitos are cabrito parts such as liver, lungs, heart wrapped in the fatty membrane around the mid section and then wrapped and tied with intestines. I know to some this sound gross but its and acquired taste. Not much different from haggis the Scottish dish.

joe
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: fritada.... i think that's the name 2007/03/19 21:28:08 (permalink)
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Foodwise, the Mexican culture wastes nothing.
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: fritada.... i think that's the name 2007/03/19 22:14:38 (permalink)
    you are so right engincapt! haha
    Here in South TExas, especially in the valley there are tons of people that go up north during the summers to work in the fields, aka migrant workers. anyway, many many years ago the butchers up north used to throw away all the "scraps", but then migrants began asking for them and the meat markets would give it to them. Well, fast forward a few years and now these same meat markets know they can make a buck and have started selling meat specifically to mexicans, etc.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: fritada.... i think that's the name 2007/03/20 07:37:38 (permalink)
    CHICKEN FRITADA

1 med. sized chicken, cut into serving pieces
    1/2 lb. pork, cut into serving pieces
    2 tbsp. oil
    1 tbsp. garlic, crushed
    1/2 c. onion, sliced
    1 c. tomato (sliced thinly or 1/2 c. tomato sauce)
    Sweet potatoes, optional
    1 sweet pepper, quartered
    2 pieces liver, sliced thinly
    1/2 tsp. white pepper
    2 c. rice water (water left over after cooking rice)

Saute garlic in oil until brown. Add onions and tomatoes; cook until sauce is formed. Add chicken and pork; season with salt and pepper. Cook over low flame. If chicken is tough, add more rice water and cook over low flame until tender. When done, add sweet potatoes, pepper and liver. Cook until liver is done. Serve hot for 8 people
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: fritada.... i think that's the name 2007/03/20 07:47:28 (permalink)
    Rice water? What am I missing here? I never have any water left over after cooking rice, it all goes into the rice.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: fritada.... i think that's the name 2007/03/20 08:05:17 (permalink)
    I think our latino friends cook rice differently and use an entirely different type of rice.I am not sure but I just thought I would post the recipe for comparison to the conversation.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1