frozen meatballs

Author
pom7756
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2007/12/20 15:42:54 (permalink)

frozen meatballs

HELP! Desperate in the Midwest and looking for friendly help with buying frozen meatballs for holiday dinner. Time crunch won't allow to make homemade. But have never tried the supermarket frozen types and have heard stories about bad ones, although don't remember which ones to stay away from. Anyone out there know of a tasty brand from common shopping chains, like Sam's, Super Wal-Mart, Kroger, Martin's in South Bend area?, Super K-Mart, GFS, or just a great brand name???? Would so greatly appreciate suggestions that you have tried. FYI....going to make the ole Grape Jelly and Chili Sauce recipes for BBQ Meatballs. Recipes gratefully accepted!!

19 Replies Related Threads

bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/20 15:49:55 (permalink)
    i dont know why you cant make your own, now, like today. then freeze them...
    susanll
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/20 15:52:27 (permalink)
    I think the frozen meatballs are mushy. I would try to make my own, if possible.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/20 15:58:43 (permalink)
    I had some really terrific meatballs and sauce at a friends party. They were very tender and tasty. I was flabbergasted to learn he bought them at, Sam's!
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/20 16:03:40 (permalink)
    Guess I can't be of much help to you, but I get frozen meatballs, both regular size and mini size, at Trader Joe's all the time and they are fantastic. I will never make my own again as long as I can get to Trader Joe's. I would hazard a guess and say that any you might get at Sam's Club would be good also, as I never had anything from Sam's Club that I didn't like.

Also, how difficult is it to make a batch of meatballs, cook them in the oven and freeze them for use over the holidays? This is only Thursday, so surely you have enough time to mix up a batch and get them baked and frozen.

Good luck, and Happy Holidays.

Donna

Big_g
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/20 16:04:07 (permalink)
    We've used the Sam's meatballs that twinwillow talked about quite a few times and they are pretty dog gone tasty. Whether you thaw some and throw them in your marinara for some quick spagetti and meat ball or it you toss them in a slow cooker with some bbq sauce or some meat gravy for appetizer's.
    qwerty79
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/20 16:11:48 (permalink)
    Ikea swedish meatballs are the best! We use them with the gravy they have or homemade bbq style sauce. If there is an Ikea within driving distance I suggest you get those. Walmart meatballs are not bad. They are homestyle meatballs(not sure of the brand but they come in a bag for usually under $6). Walmart has homestyle meatballs, swedish meatballs, and italian meatballs. I have not tried the italian ones, because I make my own.

If I don't have Ikea meatballs(I moved to FL from NY and they just opened Ikea in Orlando, but have not been there yet)I use the walmart meatballs, heat them up and stir in jars of beef gravy and sour cream. Sorry, I don't have any measurements. Just mix in the stuff til it tastes good. This makes an easy swedish meatball appetizer or dinner over egg noodles.

For the BBQ ones I mix whatever I have on hand. Usually BBQ sauce and apple or grape jelly and sometimes teriyaki or cranberry sauce. They always come out good but never taste the same.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2212
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/20 17:07:52 (permalink)
    I usually make the meatballs for our family but, if they are to be used in the grape jelly/chili sauce crockpot recipe, the Sam's product works just fine. pb
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/20 19:07:30 (permalink)
    I've used the 6-lb. bags of frozen meatballs from SAM'S CLUB and COSTCO for years in sweet and sour meatballs. Nice texture, decent enough taste and a major timesaver. You really just need them as a vehicle for the sauce. In our area (NY- Lower Hudson Valley) the SAM'S CLUB increased the actual meatball size, which I consider too big, now. So back to COSTCO. I think they're made in the same place; they are quite similar in all ways.
    A friend's mom was kind enough to share her recipe, which she tore out of the newspaper over 40 years ago. As simple as it is good; they are always a big hit.
    This version uses HEINZ CHILI SAUCE and red currant jelly in equal parts. I throw in dark raisins for that "homemade" touch.
    Give yourself a break; you won't regret it.
    Ron
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/20 20:27:26 (permalink)
    I was pretty surprised at the quality of the Murry's brand meatballs,they have several variations.Alas,they appear to be solely a Mid-Atlantic distributed product line.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/20 21:06:59 (permalink)
    I really believe home made meatballs are the best( always cook them raw in the sauce-takes on a beautiful texture and flavor)But in a pinch, I buy frozen.I first defrost them, and then throw them in whatever sauce I am making( Swedish,marinara, sweet and sour, etc..)
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10080
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/20 21:15:58 (permalink)
    Go to Costco's GREAT meatballs!
    ShenB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/21 00:42:26 (permalink)
    I've always done the GFS meatballs with their brand of BBQ sauce sold in plastic half gallon bottles ($3.79).
    I start out by first bringing them to a slow boil in a big pot for 30-45 minutes which allows a whole lot of the grease and excess salt to come out of the meat and toss the oily salty water and put them into the crockpot with enough sauce snd 2-3 cups of apple juice to create enough liquid for them to simmer in. Since the meatballs are already hot they will be ready to serve in 3-4 hours. Boiling does not ruin the taste. Trust me you wont miss all the salt and grease that you boil out of them. It also helps the texture by firming them up so they don't have that mushiness you typically have by slowly heating them up. The longer they simmer the more that smokey rich BBQ flavor becomes infused into the meat.
    My wife brought 10 lbs of them in a large crockpot where she works (the Meijer stores Corporate offices) for their holiday food grazing this past Monday and they were gone very quickly. For this last batch we used the Meijer Brand of cocktail meatballs as they had them as a BOGO on their 5# bags for $9.95 a couple of weeks ago. Thats less than a buck a pound before you add the sauce and besides, If anybody complained about the taste she could drag the frozen meat buyer over to explain to all!
    drummagick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/23 00:28:14 (permalink)
    Do you have Schwan's delivery where you are? I get their meatballs, item #420 (my kids love that). I think they're better than any fozen meatball anywhere. I've tried different brands from different stores, even the ones Costco carries, and Schwans is much better than any other.
    drummagick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/23 00:33:48 (permalink)
    And here's our family's take on the chili sauce/grape jelly recipe.

half bottle of Heinz chili sauce
    equal amount of ketchup
    1/4 - 1/3 C Thai sweet chili sauce
    Tabasco to taste
    1 tsp onion powder
    1/4 C brown sugar
    1 T spicy brown mustard
    1 T A-1 sauce
    1 T Pickapeppa sauce

and I think I tossed in some Worcestershire sauce last time too.

Yummy!
    Tinker.Belle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/23 15:18:09 (permalink)
    I am making the grape jelly and chili sauce meatballs in about 10 minutes too. The only brand that they had left at Wal-Mart when I went to buy some, was the Great Value brand. I just ate a couple, and they are actually really good. Not as god as my homemade ones, but I still really like them. qwerty79 said Ikea. Ikea meatballs are the best, unfortunately I just moved to Missouri and there aren't any around here. Same with Trader Joes, they have the best meatballs. I hope I helped at least a little bit. Happy Holidays!!!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/23 15:54:06 (permalink)
    I've yet to taste frozen meatballs that didn't make me mouth pucker with their saltiness.
    Frankman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/23 15:55:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by drummagick

And here's our family's take on the chili sauce/grape jelly recipe.

half bottle of Heinz chili sauce
    equal amount of ketchup
    1/4 - 1/3 C Thai sweet chili sauce
    Tabasco to taste
    1 tsp onion powder
    1/4 C brown sugar
    1 T spicy brown mustard
    1 T A-1 sauce
    1 T Pickapeppa sauce

and I think I tossed in some Worcestershire sauce last time too.

Yummy!

I've always wanted to try that dish. What is Pickapeppa sauce? Do you use the recipe for a dipping sauce or do you cook the meatballs in it?
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/23 15:55:47 (permalink)
    Those of you who do the grape jelly/chile sauce thing, try subbing a large bottle of Russian dressing for the chile sauce next time.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2212
    RE: frozen meatballs 2007/12/23 16:21:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Frankman

...... What is Pickapeppa sauce? ....

Pickapeppa Sauce is created using a unique blend of tomatoes, onions, sugar, cane vinegar, mangoes, raisins, tamarinds, peppers and spices. These fine ingredients are selected from seven countries around the world, to ensure the best possible quality. This blend is then aged in oak barrels for one full year before bottling to ensure the rich flavor that Pickapeppa’s admirers so love.

http://www.pickapeppa.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1