funny face

Author
starfire62
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
2013/05/25 13:09:42 (permalink)

funny face

does anyone remember funny face.it was like kool aid.my favorite kind was the birch beer .it was available in the early 70s.can anyone remember what the other flavors were?

8 Replies Related Threads

mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:funny face 2013/05/25 14:32:59 (permalink)
    I just 'googled it and found a wealth of information....  It lists the flavors as - Goofy Grape, Chinese Cherry, Choo Choo Cherry, Injun Orange, Jolly 'Olly Orange, Lefty Lemon Lime and a Moo Juice Chocolate to add to Milk.....

bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1309
    Re:funny face 2013/05/26 10:23:41 (permalink)
    They changed the names in some cases, notably Chinese Cherry and Injun Orange, as they used stereotypical imagery which those of the corresponding ethnic groups rightly found offensive.

Bart
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:funny face 2013/05/27 02:33:56 (permalink)
    Funny Face's heyday came to an end with the cyclamates ban. I remember the shelves were left with those huge packages with a cup's worth of sugar that Kool Aid and Wyler's hastily got out to the shelves. Funny Face didn't seem to follow as I remember and only sold unsweetened. If it did, we didn't see it here on the shelves. Funny Face's Choo Choo Cherry and Goofy Grape especially was a big deal when I was in school while they were still cyclamate sweetened. They probably sold more packages of the pre-sweetened mix for kids sticking a wet finger into the packages and sucking on the finger for the intense flavor. You could tell the kids with red or purple dyed index fingers. Kool Aid w/ cyclamates was used too, but not like the Funny Face. That must have been '69 or '70 when they pulled them off the shelves. Stores had the complete drink mix isles and soda inventory marked down to nothing in their clearance areas. I remember we stocked up on case loads of store brand canned, diet soda for a few cents a can that filled our trunk and back seat of our old '68 Fury III. Then came years of Sacchrine sweetened drinks until the 80's when Nutrasweet came along. Hmm.
    bartl
    Re:funny face 2013/06/01 19:18:03 (permalink)
    Punch line: The tests that "showed" cyclcamates cause cancer have never been successfully replicated, in spite of numerous attempts to do so. By current scientific standards, a test must be replicated to be considered to be valid. Unfortunately, U.S. law doesn't always match science. The lab technique was sloppy, and, by some accounts, the rats were also given saccharine, which was discounted because it was "known" to be safe.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:funny face 2013/06/02 02:25:23 (permalink)
    A few years after the ban while I was in college, I remember  a multi-part article on the ban that I read that generated a large contraversy at the time. The writers implicated the sugar consortium sponsored biased research and had a carefully drafted multi year political, regulatory, PR plan to reverse the years of negative health and dental association with sugar that had be built over the years. Anyone alive at the time can remember the dental association's attack on sweets/sugar and the word "tooth decay" was everywhere. Diet Rite Cola and Tab commercials, along with diet drinks like Sego, Metrecal and other diet aids filled the print and televison media. Artificial sweeteners were killing the sugar industry's profits. The ban was an engineered outcome along with the rewording of offical stances by govt agencies on the health effects of refined sugar paving the way for a PR campaign that undid or called into question the negative image of sugar and the danger of artificial sweeteners. The media was awash in the photos of lab rats that bartl mentioned with huge tumors that were allegedly caused by the consumption of both sacchrine and cyclamates.  I remember there were some loudly publicized attempts by one of the pharmacetical companies with conclusive and repeatable trials that demonstrated the safety of cyclamates and were to re-open the investigation that suddenly disappeared and was shelved during the 80's. It just so happened that Aspertame came along at the same time.
    bartl
    Re:funny face 2013/06/02 10:20:36 (permalink)
    My physician at the time was involved in the clinical trials of Aspartame. He told me that the rule that the FDA had to ban any substance shown to cause cancer in any single test, regardless of whether or not it is replicated, severely hurt the reputation of the FDA internationally. It turns out that, from the point of view of the scientific community, cyclamates are likely to be the safest artificial sweetener, yet they are the ones that are banned (Congress had to pass a special law in order for saccharine to remain legal). The current popular artificial sweeteners are safe except in ridiculously high doses for the overwhelming majority of people, and those for whom it is not safe know it pretty much immediately. There do seem to be major campaigns against artificial sweeteners containing cherry-picked data (only mentioning cases where correlations exist, when the totality of cases show either no correlation or a negative correlation), or, in the case of Asparatame, passing a detailed report of a conference on Aspartame that never took place quoting papers that were never written (including naming as authors a few genuine scientists who are mad as hell that their names got used).
    Joisey
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    Re:funny face 2013/06/08 16:55:52 (permalink)
    Funny Face was great!

Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re:funny face 2013/06/15 15:55:44 (permalink)
    From various sources around the web, the flavors seem to have been (in alphabetical order):
    Captain Black Cherry, Chilly Cherry Cola, Chinese (later Choo Choo) Cherry, Freckle Face Strawberry, Goofy Grape, Injun (later Jolly Olly) Orange, Lefty Lemonade, Lefty Lemon-Lime, Loud Mouth Lime, Loud Mouth Punch, Pistol Pink Lemonade, Rah-Rah Rootbeer, Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry, Rudi Tutti-Frutti, Tart Lil' Imitation Lemonade, Tart 'N' Tangy Lemon and With-It Watermelon.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1