Hot!generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Rcoy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 97
Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/12/23 21:06:37 (permalink)
TamaleTrolley

I went through holy hell over this. I've had mine (6500 watt diesel) mounted on the back bumper where it was noisy and smelly, moved it to a carefully built enclosure inside the cargo area where it was still noisy and constantly overheated no matter how much air I moved through there with fans.

Then I mounted it on the roof. Built a marquee to make it less visible, put nice graphics on the marquee. BEST THING I ever did for the truck. It's quiet, it doesn't stink, it doesn't even affect the handling of the truck as I had feared.

I have to use a ladder to add fuel which sucks, but soon I'll install a diesel tank aft of the gas tank under the floor.
I will never go back. Give it some thought. 

[tried to upload images but I can not because I am only a junior pickleburger or whatever it is, sorry]

Awesome idea! (As long as it doesn't fall through the roof.)  Make sure your fuel pump on the genset can handle drafting 8 feet or whatever, and even if it can't there are many small transfer pumps you can wire in.
kapowtruck
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/12/27 22:23:15 (permalink)
TamaleTrolley

I went through holy hell over this. I've had mine (6500 watt diesel) mounted on the back bumper where it was noisy and smelly, moved it to a carefully built enclosure inside the cargo area where it was still noisy and constantly overheated no matter how much air I moved through there with fans.

Then I mounted it on the roof. Built a marquee to make it less visible, put nice graphics on the marquee. BEST THING I ever did for the truck. It's quiet, it doesn't stink, it doesn't even affect the handling of the truck as I had feared.

I have to use a ladder to add fuel which sucks, but soon I'll install a diesel tank aft of the gas tank under the floor.
I will never go back. Give it some thought. 

[tried to upload images but I can not because I am only a junior pickleburger or whatever it is, sorry]

Did you have to re enforce the roof?
TamaleTrolley
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2014/01/11 01:30:46 (permalink)
I welded two stringers of square steel tubing running fore and aft to make sure the weight was distributed over several of the rib things under the sheet metal, and to those I welded Honda Accord engine mounts I got at the junkyard to isolate as much vibration as possible from the body of the truck, and the genset sits on the engine mounts.
kapowtruck
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2014/01/18 13:05:25 (permalink)
awesome idea dude!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1