so i get meat out of his larder occasionally
[truly fresh brown eggs too]
he has some goats about to go to slaughter
whatz the best way to cook a goat?
i had some curried once
it was a good experience, so i am hopeful
goats have been suggested for several years as an alternative cash
crop for kentucky farmers
with tobacco settlement money, i wonder how many goat farmers are out there - and when the meat will make it to retail......

23 Replies Related Threads

Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/03 20:58:11 (permalink)
    Does it taste like chicken?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/03 21:24:14 (permalink)
    There is a Goat Cookoff down in Southern Texas every year...saw that on Food Channel not to long ago. Anyone know the location?
    I had BBQ goat once in SoCal. 'was a lot like OldLamb/Young Mutton.
    EDIT- I found the International Championship Goat Cookoff in Brady TX September 3 and 4 , 2004. Anyone up for a roadtrip???
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/03 21:30:31 (permalink)
    My only suggestion is to find a Caribbean restaurant and see if they will volunteer any suggestions. Curried goat is the only goat I have ever tried -- and I am a big fan. And as I am a Rolling Stones Fan, I have listened to Goats Head Soup, but never tried it ....

Goats Head Soup, the album

Goats Head Soup the Recipe
    1 Goats Head - whole
    Chopped Carrots, Celery & Onion
    Boiler Potatoes - Peeled
    Pot of Goat Broth - As Fresh As Possible
    Mix together, cover, simmer 4 hours, then serve.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/03 21:52:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

There is a Goat Cookoff down in Southern Texas every year...saw that on Food Channel not to long ago. Anyone know the location?
    I had BBQ goat once in SoCal. 'was a lot like OldLamb/Young Mutton.

EDIT- I found the International Championship Goat Cookoff in Brady TX September 3 and 4 , 2004. Anyone up for a roadtrip???

I'm in.
    Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/03 23:37:00 (permalink)
    I had quite a bit of goat in Argentina -- chivito. It was all cooked by open fire, either directly grilled, or fixed to metal cross piece and indirectly slow-cooked by a wood fire. I would not say you should do this at home, especially if you live in an apartment. I defer to the experts on this one.
    jkbarry
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/04 00:46:20 (permalink)
    The best goat I ever had was in Jordan in the Middle East. Since we were guests, they killed a goat and made Kebobs. I have yet to taste anything better--the only problem, is that I know of nowhere to buy goat. So, light up the Grill and throw on some kebob spices. It's tasty.
    Jay
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/04 02:53:01 (permalink)
    Living in New Mexico for about 13 years, I ate more than my share of cabrito, or the equivalent of veal, cabricito. Slow cooking is absolutely vital, because this is a fairly lean meat and quick-cooking methods will turn it into chewy, inedible lumps. A slow barbecuing over indirect coals is traditional, but I like it best braised in a chile-spiked liquid (beer is an excellent base, and I'd also toss in some tomatoes, some brown sugar, some onions and just a small pinch of cinnamon) in a Lodge Dutch oven in a 300-degree oven for a few hours until it's falling apart. Wrap that up in some tortillas with some rice and pintos, serve with a good homemade salsa and the rest of the beer...mm-MM.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/04 07:59:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Living in New Mexico for about 13 years, I ate more than my share of cabrito, or the equivalent of veal, cabricito. Slow cooking is absolutely vital, because this is a fairly lean meat and quick-cooking methods will turn it into chewy, inedible lumps. A slow barbecuing over indirect coals is traditional, but I like it best braised in a chile-spiked liquid (beer is an excellent base, and I'd also toss in some tomatoes, some brown sugar, some onions and just a small pinch of cinnamon) in a Lodge Dutch oven in a 300-degree oven for a few hours until it's falling apart. Wrap that up in some tortillas with some rice and pintos, serve with a good homemade salsa and the rest of the beer...mm-MM.

You got me drooling,Lucky!! When we lived in Jamaica we ate currued goat often---again cooked long and slow till VERY tender. Great stuff---id send the recipe but my cookbaooks are still packed till i finish my dome/home---bty for got the outsideside about down--working on the loft now and moving along just fine--looking forward to actually moving into it in a 6-8 weeks and having my own kitchen!!---SO MANY DETAILS!!!.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/04 09:30:47 (permalink)
    I've had goat a couple of times and liked it. But it didn't like me...
    A friend's mom (who was Jamaican) told me that some people just don't have the "constitution" for it. I guess I am one of those people.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18655
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/04 11:47:38 (permalink)
    I've eaten goat -- cabrito -- in Texas. It was barbequed, and it was absolutely fabulous, with a smokiness that was out of this world. Unfortunately, it didn't taste like chicken. Now, the rattlesnake was another story.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7020
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/04 12:32:05 (permalink)
    I ate goat in Algeria, it was in a stew with a lot of vegetables and was very tasty. They served it over couscous.
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/04 12:54:30 (permalink)
    I've only had it barbecued (slow smoked) or in stew... very tasty either way...
    zac
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/04 13:01:29 (permalink)
    when you eat lamb in india it is actually goat - the best way to cook it is to use any good mutton or lamb curry recipe and replace the meat with goat. the slow cooking will soften the meat, the spice will cover some of the strong flavor
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/04 13:05:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by paul and louise

goats have been suggested for several years as an alternative cash
    crop for kentucky farmers with tobacco settlement money, i wonder how many goat farmers are out there - and when the meat will make it to retail......

Here's a related article from the Louisville paper...

http://www.courier-journal.com/business/news2003/10/12/biz-front-goat12-12368.html

Lot's of goat is coming through Nashville these days... look for Middle Eastern markets selling "halal" meat... you will find goat there...
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/04 13:44:22 (permalink)
    I love Barbecued Goat, several years ago we barbecued one at thanksgiving. I also love curried goat and I have had it at some Mexican Resturants.

When I was younger, we lived in Jordan and often ate Goat. There is a really great dish that involves a pile of rice and cooked goat on top with a youghurt sauce poured over it !!

St. Louis Browns fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/07 22:16:55 (permalink)
    If you have Mexican friends, ask them how they prepare cabrito. It's fine eating.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/08 01:05:45 (permalink)
    In addition to mutton, Western Kentuckians also barbeque and stew goat. I don't know if goat is ever served in the area's que restaurants, where barbequed mutton reigns.

Barbecued mutton (the meat of mature sheep) is revered in a large area of west Kentucky, and Owensboro calls itself the barbecue capital of America. Owensboro plays host the second weekend in May to The International Bar-B-Q Festival, an annual barbecue do that draws about a 100,000 visitors.

I would guess Lexington, N. C. is the real American capital of barbecue (16 to 20 pits in a city of 19,000 or so). Lockhart, Texas has about a half dozen places in a town of about 12,000.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/08 03:00:43 (permalink)
    I used to live in the Philippines. In some parts of the country, "kambing" (goat) is a popular local food. A really big deal is a "kambingan," a goat party, i.e., take a whole goat and prepare it all different ways, local style. Washed down with "Mountain Gin" -- the local gin mixed with Mountain Dew. The best was "kalderata," kind of a Spanish-influenced stew -- onions, tomato, garlic, vinegar, olives, etc. Las Pinas, just south of Manila as the "Let's Goat Together" [speciality!] restaurant.
    kjolly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/08 23:01:56 (permalink)
    Here's how we do a goat --

Get a kid (8-10 lbs) - or a couple of hindquarters. Soak it overnight in a brine of 1c salt, 1/2 c vinegar to 3 gal water.

Dig a hole in the yard about 2 ft deep, 2 ft long, 18 inches wide. Line the bottom with rocks and lay a fire (or use charcoal). You want a fire that covers the bottom of the hole.

While the fire's burning down, rise off the goat and salt and pepper it - then put the meat into a brown paper grocery bag. Throw in a couple of onions, halved, 5-6 whole jalapeno peppers, a bunch of cilantro, and a half dozen peeled garlic cloves. Roll the top of the bag down, kind of wrap it up like a package. Get a burlap sack (coffee sack - or if you can't find those - a yard of burlap from the fabtic store would work). Wet the burlap and squeeze it out so it's just damp, and put the goat in the paper inside the burlap and wrap it tight. You can tie it with twine - I use a couple of lengths of bailing wire - it doesn't have to be super tight - but you want it to stay together.

When the fire dies down to coals spread an inch or so of dirt on the coals - not too much - just enough to keep the burlap off the live coals, put in the goat, and shovel the dirt over the whole thing.

Leave it 10-12 hours - dig out the goat - be careful - you don't want to put a shovel into the bag. Pull it out - sweep off the loose dirt with a broom, then - take the paper bag with the meat and transfer it to a cookie sheet or platter, and rip open the bag.

The goat will be be falling off the bones. Serve it with hot tortillas and homemade salsa.

If you don't want to dig a hole - you can do it in your oven or roaster - just cook slooooow - 200-225 degrees for 8-10 hours - either sealed in foil or in a paper bag - it will be good - just won't have the real smoky/earthy flavor you get from a pit.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/09 07:14:59 (permalink)
    So kjolly---what day did you say your doing this and what time do get there for dinner!!??---LOVE anything cooked in a pit in the ground!!And thats one i havent tried-----YET!
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/09 09:58:49 (permalink)
    You can buy goat (cabrito) at any of the Fiesta supermarkets in Houston. There is a large demand from the Indian, Jamaican, and Middle Eastern communities.

When I lived in cotton country in the Texas panhandle, a "goat roast" was a big social event. Everyone pitched in and a goat was bought and slaughtered on the spot and then a long evening of slow cooking, beer drinking,dancing and general carousing ensued. Lots of fun, but have never been to one in any other region of Texas.

sidebar- my daugher will be showing her goat "Marlin" at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo next week. Hoping for the best!
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/09 10:20:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

So kjolly---what day did you say your doing this and what time do get there for dinner!!??---LOVE anything cooked in a pit in the ground!!And thats one i havent tried-----YET!

What tiki said -- just let us know when to be there and what to bring with us!!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: goat meat 2004/03/10 08:59:57 (permalink)
    kjolly, your goat sounds fantastic!

I've seen you mention your homemade salsa in a couple of posts. I'm always looking for new ideas, so would you mind giving us your recipe?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1