Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
muskokachef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2012/03/20 13:32:29 (permalink)

going through Minnesota

greetings;
we are taking a road trip through northern Michigan(Marquette), Minnesota and  on our way to Minot ND to Canada. Are there any food places of note to check out? We are not adverse to going a little off the road as we try not to interstate if we do not have to!
thannks

41 Replies Related Threads

muskokachef
    Junior Burger
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/03/31 13:04:50 (permalink)
    by the lack of responses does that mean there is no good places to eat in the north central US?
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/03/31 14:06:28 (permalink)
    Maybe just not a lot of familiarity with that region.

Also, you fail to give any details of your trip: Route?  Particular likes or dislikes?  Got fussy kids, or are you all grown ups who eat everything?

You've chosen to leave your home state a mystery--AL, MO, OH, TX?  There's even a Huntsville in Ontario, Canada.  Judging from your screen name, I'm going to guess you're from the Canadian Huntsville.  But the average poster wouldn't bother doing the detective work I did, so they have no idea where you're starting from.  This makes it tough to recommend anything "along the way", since we don't know "the way" you're going.

God, and the average Roadfood poster, helps those who help themselves.  You'll only get as much out of this website as you're willing to put into it.  A few more specifics and I bet you'll get some better answers.

As for me, I could give you a couple of weeks worth of outstanding dining suggestions in the Twin Cities, but it doesn't seem like that's part of your trip.  If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll provide.

Buddy
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/03/31 14:26:43 (permalink)
    I'm guessing Oklahoma as a home base. What part of Minnesota will you be traversing?
    SFSD1973
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/03/31 23:18:05 (permalink)
    If going near Sioux Falls South Dakota /Sioux City IA I recommend the following.  

Archies Waeside Lemars IA-reviews elsewhere on this site.  Steaks, Chops, Home made salad dressings.  Regarded as one of the best in country.  

Black Angus Bar and Grill Canton SD-Good food, friendly owner and staff, small town atmosphere.  Steaks, Chops, Burgers

Mainstreet Bar and Grill Larchwood IA-Good food, Good Service, Small town atmosphere.  Steaks, Seafood, Burgers, French Dip Sandwich, Wings, Twice baked potato

Bobs Cafe Sioux Falls SD-Broasted Chicken, Breakfast, new BBQ items

B&G Milky Way Sioux Falls SD- Soft Serve Ice cream and sandwich items

Cookie Jar Sioux Falls SD-Made from scratch Cookies, bars, sandwiches, soups, salads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/01 00:06:50 (permalink)
    I am going to guess that the OP is going Marquette to Ironwood to Duluth to Bemidji to Grand Forks to Minot.  There are three restaurants reviewed on here for Marquette, and one for Duluth.  I have to assume he has already checked these out, so maybe someone else can come up with something additional in this northern "strip".
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/01 02:13:16 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    I'm guessing Oklahoma as a home base.

Michael, you surprise me.  An old detail stickler like you would have Googled both Muskoka and Huntsville in Ontario and discovered them to be within about 35-40 miles of each other along local Route 11.  They're both on the west side of Lake Huron, and both have a direct (albeit long and scenic) route to the UP of the Mitten State.

Another clue: The fact that the OP's location is represented by a double "X" indicates he or she is probably from outside the U.S since the site does not offer the option of putting in a Canadian province.

Let's just say I'm a big fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I'm prepared to make a wager on this: If I'm right you have to provide me with two pounds of Bucyrus Brats, deliverable at JRPfeff's Smoke Day/Pie fest event in May, or the next time I'm in Columbus/Gahanna.  If you win I'll provide you with a large pizza from Burt's Place with your choice of toppings; same delivery parameters as above.

If muskokachef responds before you accept, the bet is null and void.

So, how confident are you about that Oklahoma starting point?

Buddy
    Birdhunter
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/01 08:06:56 (permalink)
    Here's a place just over the bridge from Duluth in Superior,Wisconsin. Anchor Bar, located at 413 Tower Ave., has one mean hamburger and fries.
    If you're are driving from Canada and coming into the U.S. on highway 61 along Lake Superior this is a must stop, do not pass.The Naniboujou Lodge North of Grand Marais is a must stop just to see it' They do serve food but can't tell you much about it. But check it out on the internet.
    Grand Marais has a lot of good eating places and a nice places to stay along the lake.
    I don't know your route across Minnesota but if you're anywhere close to Crosby, Minnesota this is a must stop for any meal, 131 West Kitchen & Cafe.
    This is all I can help you with at this time witha travel route.
    Enjoy and have a safe Travel
    Birdhunter from Wisconsin
    post edited by Birdhunter - 2012/04/01 08:08:41
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/01 09:21:28 (permalink)
    Birdhunter

Here's a place just over the bridge from Duluth in Superior,Wisconsin. Anchor Bar, located at 413 Tower Ave., has one mean hamburger and fries.

Saw Anchor Bar on Triple D after we ate there, dive bar, which is what we like, and the burger was great.

Also, Gordys High Hat very good burgers
    post edited by KurtSara - 2012/04/01 18:52:29
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/01 11:13:18 (permalink)
    You would be remiss not to take the side trip up Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore after driving so far.

Minnesota North Shore Foods and Scenery

But if you get no farther north than Duluth, then At Sara's Table Chester Creek Cafe is your best stop.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/01 12:10:35 (permalink)
    If you do go through Bemidji I strongly recommend a stop at 
    Cabin Coffee House
    http://www.cabincoffeehouse.com/

More than just a coffee house, with a Minnesota North Woods Lodge atmosphere, they serve up Minnesota style comfort food and a wide selection of pastries 
    wandering_joe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/01 22:30:00 (permalink)
    Another Triple D recommendation, Duluth Grill, I had the pleasure of eating there last summer and it was truly one of the best meals I've ever eaten.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 681
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/02 09:02:10 (permalink)
    A lot of good places in Duluth.

One random one I'll mention because it left an impression: Fitger's Brewhouse.  I often like to stop at brewpubs when traveling, and I rather liked the beer at Fitger's (they have an outstanding oatmeal stout).  But what I remember was ordering a pub burger (burger with ith sauteed mushrooms, onions, Swiss cheese and our chipotle pepper sauce), and having the waitress tell me "You know, you really should try the vegetarian burger, it's actually better."  Wait, what?  Never had that happen before, but I did order the vegetarian burger instead.  And didn't regret it.  It was rather unique, with a blend local wild rice, regular rice, spices, and a few other things, and was one of the most outstanding vegetarian burgers I've ever had.  Served up with their chipotle pepper sauce, to this day it was the only vegetarian burger I've ever had that really could stand up well on it's own merits.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/02 11:07:34 (permalink)
    Buddy, you're on. I'm guessing you're right, but I need an excuse to head up to Bucyrus. Considering my schedule, which includes trips to Connecticut, Mississippi, Missouri and Oklahoma, I'm pretty sure I can't make it to Wisconsin in May.  
    ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/02 13:14:22 (permalink)
    If traveling through the Upper Peninsula near the Wisconsin border, stop in Presque Isle (WI or MI, the city is in both states), and go to the P.I. Pub for any type of sandwich.  Also great pizza.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/02 14:22:53 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Buddy, you're on. I'm guessing you're right, but I need an excuse to head up to Bucyrus. Considering my schedule, which includes trips to Connecticut, Mississippi, Missouri and Oklahoma, I'm pretty sure I can't make it to Wisconsin in May.  

Okay, muskokachef, you've got your responses.  Now it's time to settle a bet: Are you starting from Oklahoma or Ontario?  There's a lot riding on this so don't disappoint.

Buddy
    muskokachef
    Junior Burger
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/03 11:50:01 (permalink)
    well BuddyRoadhouse; it seems that you are the winner as we are leaving from Huntsville Ontario
    It is rather funny that after getting a bit of being taken to task for not doing any research(not true but off topic) there are a slew of responses! Both my wife and self are no holds barred eaters and have a great disdain for any large chain style slop.
    If there is anyone out there that can include Canada as a place to go for a drive you would find quite an assortment of great food as well as great drives.
    Hope that you enjoy your sausages
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/03 13:57:14 (permalink)
    My annual business travels used to make me a semi-regular visitor to Mr. Hoffman's neck of the woods.  But seeing as how I've been cutting back on those roadtrips the last couple years, and since Michael Hoffman doesn't get to the Chicago/Milwaukee area all that often, it's not likely I'll see those brats anytime soon.  However, given the seeming "new lease on life" exhibited by Gahanna, Ohio's most prominent citizen, I suppose anything is possible.

Philosophically though, sometimes just being right is its own reward.

Meanwhile, you haven't said whether or not you need those Twin Cities recommendations.

Buddy
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/03 14:29:29 (permalink)
    Oh, Buddy ...

I just shipped some cappelletti overnight to Anchorage. I think it might be possible to get FedEx to make the overnight trek to Illinois with some Bucyrus bratwurst.

I was thinking about crashing Smoke Day with lleechef, but considering upcoming roadtrips to Connecticut, Mississippi, Missouri and Oklahoma it doesn't look like a possibility.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/03 14:55:43 (permalink)
    Archie's Waeside is a MUST.  Best steak and Iowa pork chop I ever ate. 
    Bob's Cafe in Sioux Falls does have killer broasted chicken, too! 
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/03 17:25:50 (permalink)
    Sioux Falls, SD is a bit out of the way and not a route I would recommend heading toward Minot, ND after coming across Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota north routes. I would assume US 2 and nearby most of that way.

Buddy,

I'll be in Anchorage later this summer as we are heading up the Alaskan Highway at the end of June. Should I pick up those brats for you?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/03 17:55:39 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I was thinking about crashing Smoke Day with lleechef, but considering upcoming roadtrips to Connecticut, Mississippi, Missouri and Oklahoma it doesn't look like a possibility. 

You forgot Rhode Island
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/03 20:09:18 (permalink)
    I didn't forget Rhode Island. It's just the tiny eastern portion of Connecticut.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/03 22:26:04 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I didn't forget Rhode Island. It's just the tiny eastern portion of Connecticut.

Gee, and everyone I know back in NY thought it was a neighborhood somewhere in Boston. 
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/03 22:35:17 (permalink)
    Davydd
    Buddy,

I'll be in Anchorage later this summer as we are heading up the Alaskan Highway at the end of June. Should I pick up those brats for you?

Too bad you're not going in December, they'd be good and frozen for the ride home.

Buddy
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/03 22:40:36 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Oh, Buddy ...

I just shipped some cappelletti overnight to Anchorage. I think it might be possible to get FedEx to make the overnight trek to Illinois with some Bucyrus bratwurst.

Michael, although I won the bet fair and square, and while I'm not one to turn down free food, especially good brats, I'm not the kinda guy who would impose the FedEx expense on you to overnight ship them to Chicago.

If you insist on sending them, I will PM you with my address.  I promise to freeze them until the end of May, and share them with my fellow Contingent members at SmokeFestDayPie.

Buddy
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/04 00:50:53 (permalink)
    Muskokachef STILL hasn't given  us his planned route with towns, etc. C'mon Musko, spit it out!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/04 08:25:28 (permalink)
    Buddy, go ahead and PM me. I should have gotten those brats to you last time. They sat in my freezer for a long time before I went ahead and cooked them up. I'll vaccuum seal and freeze them before shipping.
    muskokachef
    Junior Burger
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/05 11:38:51 (permalink)
    the itinerary is as follows; after crossing the border at Sault Ste Marie, we will head to Marquette for a stop. The next day is a whole hearted dash to the west-need to be in Calgary by 10 pm! we will be going by S. Paul, heading north to Fargo and then west to Billings, at which point we will turn north towards Calgary and further points in the province.
      We are expecting to do the westward portion, from Marquette to Calgary, in about 18 hours-I know crazy!!but we have to be there in a timely fashion.
    The drive back is where we will be imbibing in all of the glories of the Mid west where we are giving yourselves 4 days to return; perhaps not going through Marquette on the return but through Detroit.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:going through Minnesota 2012/04/05 16:05:58 (permalink)
    If you are making a mad dash from Marquette, MI to Calgary I don't know why you would dip all the way down to St. Paul, MN and I-94. That is quite a bit out of the way in distance and time and not near as scenic as driving across US 2 in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin. Besides, if you want to go through Detroit then you would be going through Minneapolis/St. Paul and Chicago on your return.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1