good BBQ on.. Long Island???

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/07 13:18:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sally824

Tony Bad - I don't want you to feel Bad but Tennessee Jacks doesn't own a smoker.......(One of the servers there told me this) they buy all their meats pre-smoked...Also, anybody who knows anything about Smoking Briskets, 22 hours is ridiculous.....A brisket would become not edible......Slow cooking is great, but 22 hours????? Truthfully, I found their brisket tasted like Corned Beef with BBQ sauce.

Interesting. It sure smelled like they were smoking something when you drove up...as we were commenting on how the neighbors (it is in a residential area) are dealing with the odor. Maybe they buy the smell in cans?

I thought the brisket was quite good...but I don't know if 22 hours is a reasonable time or not...I just eat the stuff, never made it, so I wouldn't know.

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/07 13:58:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kyleJohnson

I have been watching this thread obviously because I have become a fan of TJ's- been there 3 times now, I have even passed the cornbread comments via e-mail to the owner. I saw this comment from Sally from Bay Shore, I was told that they smoke off-premise at the chef's house with his retired dad doing the smoking- maybe that is what the server meant. I don't see the reason to lie because nonetheless, the meat is extremely well-prepared- whether they buy it from a commercial smoker or not (is there even such a thing?).

I agree...whereever they are getting their meat from, it is good. If it is a commercial source, that source ought to be busy, because they do good work!! The fact they do it away from the restaurant seems likely, as I doubt a constant smoke cloud would go over well with the neighbors. The restaurant is very close to a lot of houses...of course these houses are also a stones throw from a rail road track...but you know how people like to complain!
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/17 11:56:56 (permalink)
Well, went back yesterday, and I was much more impressed.

I ordered the rib lunch with a side of beans (and I still think it oughta come with cornbread in addition to the side!), dry, with some dragon sauce in a small cup.

Very tasty, I must say. The beans were good and the portion of ribs fine--probably less than a half-rack, but to me, that's just right. I used the sauce judiciously: dabbing onto the bits of meat still clinging to the bone once the rub was gnawed off.

My friend loved the place--and he's very picky about such things. Called it "perfect."

The third visit, maybe I'll remember to bring my camera.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/19 19:03:07 (permalink)
Interestingly enough, the NY TImes reviewed Tennessee Jack's in Sunday's (Nov. 20) Long Island section (I subscribe, so I got that section on Saturday). As of this writing, it's not available online.

The review seems to have echoed my experience, to the extent that it overlapped.
Rating: Good
Atmosphere: Rustic roadhouse with Southern barbecue
Service: nice, helpful, not polished

They called the pulled-pork sandwich "a must." Sliced brisket, "fork-tender and bursting with flavor." Smoked half-chicken "fell from the bones." The marinated grilled salmon in a Carolina-style mustard-based barbecue sauce "put to shame" many the reviewer "had at more expensive restaurants." It's unclear what she was specifically comparing it to at those other restaurants... fish in general, or similarly prepared salmon?

Ribs: for three racks on two occasions, "two were succulent, flavor-packed and perfect but one rack was dry." That echoes my experience--the first order of ribs I had was unimpressive; on the return trip, they were very good. The only entrees I've had so far were the lunch-order ribs.

Mixed reviews on the sides: "skip the dry corn muffin." Also skip the mashed potato, baked potato, and corn on the cob. Kudos for the coleslaw, French fries, and baked beans. My experience was the same: utterly forgettable corn bread, tasty baked beans.

For those not familiar with the NY Times reviews, the rankings are: Extraordinary, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Satisfactory, Fair, Poor, based on a combination of the food, ambience, and service, and taking prices into consideration. Take that however you want; I prefer places where the waitstaff doesn't dress better than I do.
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/19 21:51:45 (permalink)
Who at the Times wrote the review?
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/19 21:58:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Who at the Times wrote the review?

Joanne Starkey.

Good review of some of the appetizers: smoked brisket quesadillas, Jack chips, rib tips, and dragon wings. Thumbs down on the haystack onions.

I'm not sure if they tried the ribs "dry"; best reviewed rib sauce: dragon.
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/20 16:37:18 (permalink)
The Times review is up; I think registration (free) is required. I don't know if this type of article requires a purchase after it's been up for a week, but better read it now, just in case:

http://events.nytimes.com/2005/11/20/travel/20lidine.html
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2007/02/21 10:20:00 (permalink)
OK, current fave: Second's BBQ in Amityville. Takeout only, but sublime beef ribs and brisket (they have pork ribs and bbq chicken, among other items, but those two are my items of choice).

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=4369
love BBQ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2008/01/06 18:12:38 (permalink)
Want GREAT BBQ on Long ISLAND ---- GOT TO TRY BAD BOB's on lawson blv in Oceanside --- great ribs -- and real good music and nice people
motoeric
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 56
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2008/01/15 14:31:54 (permalink)
I've also heard really good things about Swingbelly's BBQ in Long Beach. Gary from pigtrip.net calls it the best on Long Island and I have a great deal of respect for Gary.

I'm going to try to get down there this week and I'll follow-up with a review.

Eric
fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2008/02/04 16:26:12 (permalink)
We went to Smokin Al's in Bayshore yesterday for lunch.
Sliced smoked brisket was the best on the menu.
Pulled pork was very sweet.
Smoked sausages and smoked chicken were ok.
Cornbread was great.
Collards were great.
Garlic Mashed potatos were great.
Sweet potato fries and regular french fries were good.
Chiliburger was huge and cooked well done was dry.
Corn on the cob was great.
The bread pudding, key lime pie and ice cream was great.
Lemonade and ice tea great.
I prefer of all the sauces the Rattlesnake sauce, spicy.

We all agreed the atmosphere was great, great music, no TVS. We will all go back and order the brisket again. It does get smokey after a while.... and crowded!

ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 900
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2008/02/04 16:57:32 (permalink)
Billyboy posted a great photo review of Smokin' Al's[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24264']here[/url], just in case you wanted some pics of this fabulous-looking food... Chris
motoeric
Hamburger
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2008/02/12 23:21:42 (permalink)
Willie B's in Bayshore now has Kreutz sausages from Texas. I've heard a lot about them but never tried any. I need to correct that.

I just heard about a place called Smokin' Sloes in Northport. Anyone familiar with them?

Thanks,

Eric
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2008/02/13 08:23:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by motoeric

Willie B's in Bayshore now has Kreutz sausages from Texas. I've heard a lot about them but never tried any. I need to correct that.

I just heard about a place called Smokin' Sloes in Northport. Anyone familiar with them?

Thanks,

Eric

Damn...I drove by there just yesterday and wanted to stop but was running late. Sometimes it is better to listen to your stomach than your brain! I gotta get back and give that sausage a try!
whitetrashbbq
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2008/04/26 00:50:42 (permalink)
Willie B's has Kreutz's sausage? Why? You can buy better sausage on Long Island any day.

Even at Kruetz's their sausage is mediocore at best. And if Willie's serving what Hill Country is serving, it ain't the same beast as what you get in Texas.

Got to get out to Willie's. It's been too long.
motoeric
Hamburger
RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2008/04/26 20:11:43 (permalink)
He said that he was keeping them in stock in case anyone from Brooklyn stopped by.

Eric
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1