good BBQ on.. Long Island???

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Scott_R
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
2004/10/12 12:06:44 (permalink)

good BBQ on.. Long Island???

Who'da thunk it? Long Island, New York actually has good BBQ: Smokin' Al's.

A friend of mine happened to mention it, so one day I dragged myself out to Bayshore for lunch. I had the "Monster Beef Bones" and they were fabulous. I can't remember what I had as the sides... corn on the cob, I think, and MAYBE collard greens (I went there in the early summer).

Definitely good enough to take a friend there for dinner. I'm not the eater I used to be, but my friend has no problems in that regard, and despite ordering no appetizers, dinner filled us both pretty thoroughly--though perhaps the four or five beers we each had contributed to that. :)

That second time around, I had the Ribs N' Meat combo, choosing the sliced brisket as the meat. The brisket was a tad on the dry side, but had such a wonderfully smokey quality, I forgave it the minor defect; the ribs were excellent. I again cannot recall the side dishes, but that's testimony to my own faulty memory, not the quality of the dishes.

I've told others about the place, and they've been very happy with it.

The place has a website,
http://www.smokinals.com
unfortunately, it "features" music that cannot be turned off.

45 Replies Related Threads

Brooklynq
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2004/10/13 18:23:06 (permalink)
    Yes you can kill the music. on the bottom of the page there's a little control panel that shuts it off, but only on that page.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2004/10/14 18:47:32 (permalink)
    You mean there is good BBQ on Long Island??!! I am from Long Island and all I remember is gristle slathered in Ketchup!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2004/10/14 19:24:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scott_R

quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

You mean there is good BBQ on Long Island??!! I am from Long Island and all I remember is gristle slathered in Ketchup!

Surprisingly, yes. There're these two places out East (two branches, single ownership, IIRC) called Spicy's BBQ (or something close to that), one in Bellport, one in Riverhead, and they have pretty good BBQ, but a limited menu. Smokin' Al's is better though.

I'm skeptical, but I will definetely have to go out of my way to try it when I had back home. Keep in mind I've been to Arthur Bryants in KC, The Interstate and Cozy Corner in Memphis, Sonny Brians in Dallas, Wilbur's in Goldsboro NC and Dukes in Walterboro SC, so my standards for BBQ are outrageous!

To me trying to find good bbq on Long Island was like trying to find good Pizza in Seattle- Impossible! BUT- I will try to keep an open mind.
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2004/11/06 16:05:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Danmel

There
    I don't know what just happened, so I'm gonna try again:

THere is a place on Jericho Turnpike, just over the Nassau/Suffolk line on the south side of Jericho,at Woodbury, that sells BBQ from a stand- it is mostly beef, they do have pulled pork and they have an outdoor smoker- it is near stables and a place where some guy carves tree trunks into bears, giant giraffes and the like! ( I kid you not). IT's really good- but the car smells for days!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2004/11/06 17:31:46 (permalink)
    quote:

I'm skeptical, but I will definetely have to go out of my way to try it when I had back home. Keep in mind I've been to Arthur Bryants in KC, The Interstate and Cozy Corner in Memphis, Sonny Brians in Dallas, Wilbur's in Goldsboro NC and Dukes in Walterboro SC, so my standards for BBQ are outrageous!

To me trying to find good bbq on Long Island was like trying to find good Pizza in Seattle- Impossible! BUT- I will try to keep an open mind.

I have been there, and agree that it is good...for Long Island. If you come, keep that yardstick in mind. It is not going to be what you had in TN, NC or SC...or even what you can get at Pearsons in Jackson Heights, Queens...but it is about the best I have had in this area. Take a pass on the smoked sausage...it was not quite what I expected or have had elsewhere.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2004/11/06 18:18:09 (permalink)
    quote:

There

Danmel,
    There, there... that wasn't so bad, was it?
    Panelessly (I Am Not A Window), Ort. Carlton in Sunny, Leaves-Turning Athens, Georgia.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3731
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2004/11/09 00:16:25 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Surprisingly, yes. There're these two places out East (two branches, single ownership, IIRC) called Spicy's BBQ (or something close to that), one in Bellport, one in Riverhead, and they have pretty good BBQ, but a limited menu. Smokin' Al's is better though.

I went to Bellport High School and drove past Spicy's every day for years. I never went there, as it isn't in the greatest part of town, and my racist parents would never consider such as a place to eat. I drove past there the last time I was in town, and was surprised to see that Spicy's was even still in business (why I even noticed, I will never know), and thought that the food must be better than the exterior would indicate.

I will have to give it a shot next time I am there, but my BBQ pallette is also a little hardened with what can be acquired outside of LI.

Steve
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2004/11/09 12:01:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

I went to Bellport High School and drove past Spicy's every day for years. I never went there, as it isn't in the greatest part of town, and my racist parents would never consider such as a place to eat. I drove past there the last time I was in town, and was surprised to see that Spicy's was even still in business (why I even noticed, I will never know), and thought that the food must be better than the exterior would indicate.

I will have to give it a shot next time I am there, but my BBQ pallette is also a little hardened with what can be acquired outside of LI.

It's been a while since I went to Spicy's, but of the two, Smokin' Al's was much better, IMHO, IIRC.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2004/11/09 12:26:59 (permalink)
    I am staying at the Uniondale Marriott for the next two days and will try to make a trip out for some BBQ!

Steve
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2004/11/09 13:25:46 (permalink)
    quote:

I am staying at the Uniondale Marriott for the next two days and will try to make a trip out for some BBQ!

If you don't want to go out as far as Bayshore, and have a taste for Caribbean food, try Sweet and Spicy Caribbean on Broadway in Amityville. I don't have the address offhand, but: take the Southern State to Route 110 (Broadway) south. A short while after you go under a railroad overpass (a couple miles south of the Southern State and the ONLY overpass you'll go under), Broadway splits. Stay to the left. Almost right after the split (100 feet) is a strip of stores on the east (left) side of the road. The Caribbean place is at the southern end. Excellent curried goat, oxtail, escoveitch, jerk chicken, cowfoot, cod and ackee, etc. What they have available can change without notice.

The full platters come with rice and peas (beans), fried plantains, and this wonderful cabbage dish, and are pretty much all about $6-$7 or so. If you like spicy sauce, ask for their homemade stuff (but be careful until you taste how hot it is).

Little hole in the wall place, but top-notch food. Everyone I've taken there has loved it (in fact, this might be worth a thread of its own).
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/04/01 16:50:33 (permalink)
    quote:

If you don't want to go out as far as Bayshore, and have a taste for Caribbean food, try Sweet and Spicy Caribbean on Broadway in Amityville. I don't have the address offhand, but: take the Southern State to Route 110 (Broadway) south. A short while after you go under a railroad overpass (a couple miles south of the Southern State and the ONLY overpass you'll go under), Broadway splits. Stay to the left. Almost right after the split (100 feet) is a strip of stores on the east (left) side of the road. The Caribbean place is at the southern end. Excellent curried goat, oxtail, escoveitch, jerk chicken, cowfoot, cod and ackee, etc. What they have available can change without notice.

The full platters come with rice and peas (beans), fried plantains, and this wonderful cabbage dish, and are pretty much all about $6-$7 or so. If you like spicy sauce, ask for their homemade stuff (but be careful until you taste how hot it is).

Little hole in the wall place, but top-notch food. Everyone I've taken there has loved it (in fact, this might be worth a thread of its own).

I missed this recommendation on my last trip through here, and was surfing again looking for someplace to hit tonight. This sounds exactly like a place that I have at home -- right down to the "what they have available can change without notice"!!! It amazes me every time I go in there that they can just not have something printed on their menu -- I don't mean an isolated event -- I mean it is part of the experience. I feel like I should call ahead if I want something specifically.

Guess it is just another reflection of the "Island lifestyle."

And...since I didn't get my BBQ last time, and I went for my favorite Chinese last night, I think it might be right for some Smokin' Al's (I am also staying in Smithtown -- a lot closer to Bay Shore -- this time!).

Steve
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/04/01 20:02:50 (permalink)
    quote:

And...since I didn't get my BBQ last time, and I went for my favorite Chinese last night, I think it might be right for some Smokin' Al's (I am also staying in Smithtown -- a lot closer to Bay Shore -- this time!).

Steve

Wish I had seen this earlier...it would have been nice to break (corn) bread with a fellow roadfooder. I live about 5 miles from Smokin' Al's. I'll be interested to hear what you thought of the food.
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/04/01 21:33:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    I missed this recommendation on my last trip through here, and was surfing again looking for someplace to hit tonight. This sounds exactly like a place that I have at home -- right down to the "what they have available can change without notice"!!! It amazes me every time I go in there that they can just not have something printed on their menu -- I don't mean an isolated event -- I mean it is part of the experience. I feel like I should call ahead if I want something specifically.

Steve

On the other end of things (and within easier reach of Smithtown) is Cooke's In in Huntington, 767 New York Ave.

Take Jericho Turnpike to Rt. 110 and go north (or take the Northern State to 110 North, and cross over Jericho Tnpk). Again, go under a railroad overpass (what's with 110 and railroad overpasses?). After a mile or so, you'll see a big shopping center on the left (K-Mart, etc.). Just past it is a traffic light (Semon Rd., I think). Almost immediately past *that* is the Cooke's In, on the left side. Looks like a diner (it probably was, sometime in the past).

Features Cajun, Caribbean, and Southern foods. It's moderately priced (all $10-$20 range), and go only if you haven't eaten very much that day--there's a ton of food. Good tip: Wednesday night buffet. The choices vary, but there usually are about a dozen or so things. Collard greens, mac 'n cheese, ribs, fried chicken, clams, fabulous corn pudding, jambalaya, etc. Strangely enough, they even had some chopped liver on some sort of puffed dough, the last time I had the buffet.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/04/03 12:16:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:

Steve

Wish I had seen this earlier...it would have been nice to break (corn) bread with a fellow roadfooder. I live about 5 miles from Smokin' Al's. I'll be interested to hear what you thought of the food.

Sorry, it was really a spur of the moment decision. I was surfing this site and came across this thread again and thought I would give it a shot. I get up to LI frequently on business (be back again April 17-22, and then again in May), and I will definitely look to hit Smokin' Al's again.

I thought the food was surprisingly good. I have been to many of the better BBQ places listed on this site, some widely regarded as the best BBQ in the country. I thought I read somewhere that Stephen Rushmore, Jr. thought that Dinosaur BBQ was "the best." I think that there is better -- but, this is not too far below Dinosaur, if at all.

I sat at the bar (I was by myself, so it worked). I ordered a beer and asked the bartender what her recommendation would be for someone who had never been there before. She turned to the three guys who were seated to my right and they all said "Ribs!" in unison.

The bar sits right in front of the "Pit", which is where everything is prepared. The owner keeps a watchful eye on things. He seemed like a pretty nice guy -- joked with me a little. He definitely seemed to be a hands on kind of a person, and that is OK with me. I watched as plate after plate of food went out to the other customers, and thought that I would be pretty happy.

I had the full slab of baby backs with mac and cheese and fries. Let me start with the sides -- the mac and cheese was wonderful, as were the fries, which appeared to be fresh and hand cut. I like meat, but I am a big fan of these side dishes.

The ribs had an undeniable smoke flavor. I did not slather them with sauce -- just ate what was on the bone after preparation -- and by the end of the slab, I thought that maybe they could have used a little more sauce, but not too much. The first couple of bones were a little fatty, but it only added to the flavor, rather than distract from it.

I will warn you, though. When you walk in, it kind of has some of the markings of a chain restaurant. There is a perky hostess, loud (not too loud for me, but some might think it is loud) music playing, bright neon signs, bottled sauce available for purchase, etc. I asked if it was a chain or single location, and that was when I was introduced to "Smokin' Al." He assured me that it was the only "Smokin' Al's", but something tells me that he might have aspirations of expanding. All in all, a very pleasant experience. Not the kind of place one would expect to find on Long Island, but I was glad that I did.

Steve
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/04/03 12:18:23 (permalink)
    quote:

On the other end of things (and within easier reach of Smithtown) is Cooke's In in Huntington, 767 New York Ave.

Take Jericho Turnpike to Rt. 110 and go north (or take the Northern State to 110 North, and cross over Jericho Tnpk). Again, go under a railroad overpass (what's with 110 and railroad overpasses?). After a mile or so, you'll see a big shopping center on the left (K-Mart, etc.). Just past it is a traffic light (Semon Rd., I think). Almost immediately past *that* is the Cooke's In, on the left side. Looks like a diner (it probably was, sometime in the past).

Features Cajun, Caribbean, and Southern foods. It's moderately priced (all $10-$20 range), and go only if you haven't eaten very much that day--there's a ton of food. Good tip: Wednesday night buffet. The choices vary, but there usually are about a dozen or so things. Collard greens, mac 'n cheese, ribs, fried chicken, clams, fabulous corn pudding, jambalaya, etc. Strangely enough, they even had some chopped liver on some sort of puffed dough, the last time I had the buffet.

I will try to hit this place on one of my future visits to Long Island. I am not usually a fan of buffets, but I may give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip.

Steve
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/04/03 12:35:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    I will try to hit this place on one of my future visits to Long Island. I am not usually a fan of buffets, but I may give it a shot.

They only have the buffet that one night (Wednesday), to the best of my knowledge. The rest of the time it's regular table service (you can also get table service on Wednesday nights).

They serve lunch as well, though the choices aren't quite as diverse. The breakfasts look very interesting, though.

Oh, the place's name (Cooke's In) isn't simply a random attempt to be clever; the owner's name is Juanita Cooke.
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/04/15 14:12:05 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Steve

Never done the buffet, but the jerk chicken is fabulous and the meals all come with corn bread and collards and sweet ptoato fries and corn pudding. ncie people too- definelty due for a return trip there!
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/04/15 14:53:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Never done the buffet, but the jerk chicken is fabulous and the meals all come with corn bread and collards and sweet ptoato fries and corn pudding. ncie people too- definelty due for a return trip there!

The first time I went there for dinner, I ordered... jerked ribs, I think. Then the waitress starts putting down plate after plate. Collard greens, shoestring sweet potato fries, roasted (pan fried?) potatoes, corn/apple pudding, and I think one more thing, though I don't rightly recall... in addition to the bread basket. "What the heck is all this?" my friend and I wondered. We hadn't ordered all this. Turns out the meal came with it. It was an [ienormous] amount of food.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/04/15 20:01:39 (permalink)
    Well, I am heading back to LI, and my beloved Sheraton Long Island this coming week, so a visit to Cooke's may well be in order. I do have other travel colleagues, and sometimes there tastes aren't the same as mine. I will also try another trip to Smokin' Al's.

Steve
    kyleJohnson
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/10/22 14:10:51 (permalink)
    I came onto this thread to see if there was any mention if Tennessee Jack's in East Islip. I saw there review in Newdsay and stopped in. When I tell you that this place's food blows away Smokin Als, I mean it!!! I think the reason is because it is memphis style, not that overly mopped stuff that you find at Smokin Als. The place from the outside needs work but I guess that is what makes it authentic.
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/10/24 17:01:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kyleJohnson

I came onto this thread to see if there was any mention if Tennessee Jack's in East Islip. I saw there review in Newdsay and stopped in. When I tell you that this place's food blows away Smokin Als, I mean it!!! I think the reason is because it is memphis style, not that overly mopped stuff that you find at Smokin Als. The place from the outside needs work but I guess that is what makes it authentic.

Well, I went there! (How's that for fast?)
    Not bad. I liked Smokin' Al's better. I should point out that you can also get the ribs dry at Smokin' Al's, and add sauce (or not) yourself. I found SA's ribs to be more tender. Tennessee Jack's ribs weren't tough or gristly, but they took some cutting to separate and were a little chewy. SA's ribs practically fall off the bone. I liked TJ's dry rub, though it was a little salty. I asked for the hot sauce on the side; tasty, though not hot by my standards (I ate the ribs both with and without the sauce).

I've eaten at SA's about five or so times, and just had lunch this one time at TJ's, so I'd have to do more comparisons.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/10/28 21:03:07 (permalink)
    quote:

Went to Tennessee Jack's tonight. The meats were very well prepared. Someone knows their way around a smoker! We had ribs, brisket, and pulled pork, and all were quite good. I had mentioned the food being a bit over-sauced for my liking at Smokin' Al's, and this was the opposite extreme. I barely tasted any sauce! The quality of the meats was such that they stood up well without much sauce, but a little more, or at least some available on the side would have been nice. I could have asked for more...but as I note later...I was just happy to be eating. Side dishes, especially the cole slaw, which was made with regular and red cabbage and was nice and vinegary...the way I like it, were quite good. The sweet potato fries came with a maple/cinnamon dipping sauce that was unusual and really good!

My only complaint, and this may be a function of the place being fairly new, was that it took 55 minutes for our food to arrive after ordering. I joked to my wife that the menu said the brisket was smoked for 22 hours, but I didn't think it meant after you ordered it! I think the place was very busy, and it is probably just some growing pains. We tried to be as patient as possible, but with a couple of young kids, it was tough! They were getting ready to turn into pumpkins again!

They need to work on the speed of delivery, but the meats are quite a treat. I'd recommend trying it, but maybe not on a Friday night...at least until the staff gets a bit more polished at dealing with a rush of people.

kyleJohnson
    Junior Burger
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/03 23:17:43 (permalink)
    I went to Tennessee Jack's again and found it to be very, very good- excellent actually. I was talking to the owner (there are 2 of them actually, young guys in their 20's) and he was telling me about their growing pains- they didn't expect it to get so busy so fast. They are coming up with strategies to deal with that all-at-once rush each friday and saturday. He was saying that the chef insists on cooking everything to order- which is a good thing- I am guessing that Smokin Al's pulled pork sits in a bath of pulled pork on a steam table somewhere- TJ's pulled pork is juicy and just topped with sauce almost like a burger would be with ketchup. I am glad that their chef cooks things to order- you can tell it is fresher.

A couple things to note: the memphis style is not full of sauce- you can add that yourself- just ask for extra on the side - the table sauce is whiskey. When I suggested that they had more sauces on the table, the owner commented that they are working on that. Apparently they are trying to keep up with all of the bottles that are being stolen from the table.

I am working my way through the menu and this is what I liked:
    Brisket Quesadilla: This is a meal in itself- delicious and flavorful.
    Spinach and Artichoke Dip: Uses Guyrere cheese- best spinach dip I have ever had and I am an expert!
    Rib Tips: Very juicy and meaty- I would suggest ordering these if you want to sample the ribs while sampling brisket, pulled pork, smoked chicken.
    Dragon Wings: You have to try them!!!! Trust me. Sweet (teryaki) then spicy (some hot thai sauce).
    Sauces: In order from my favorite: Dragon, Dry Rub, Whiskey, Carolina, Original.
    A note about the dragon sauce: perhaps the most unique and delicious sauce I have ever tasked- dip your rib tips in them!!!

OK, I am going to continue this later but I was pleased with everything and the prices were less that SA's. Try the pulled Pork, have rib tips with dragon sauce, eat the brisket- it has the most beautiful smoke ring! :)

Just a head's up- Wednesday is family night- kid's eat free so if you have low tolerance for kids, avoid that night. If you have kid's, they totally cater to them and put cartoons on the big screen. Tuesday is closed for now but they will be 7 days soon.

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/03 23:37:12 (permalink)
    quote:

I went to Tennessee Jack's again and found it to be very, very good- excellent actually. I was talking to the owner (there are 2 of them actually, young guys in their 20's) and he was telling me about their growing pains- they didn't expect it to get so busy so fast. They are coming up with strategies to deal with that all-at-once rush each friday and saturday. He was saying that the chef insists on cooking everything to order- which is a good thing- I am guessing that Smokin Al's pulled pork sits in a bath of pulled pork on a steam table somewhere- TJ's pulled pork is juicy and just topped with sauce almost like a burger would be with ketchup. I am glad that their chef cooks things to order- you can tell it is fresher.

Thanks for that info. I was really happy with the food, and understand the growing pains issue, which is why we tried to be patient. I agree with you about the spinach artichoke dip. It was quite good! I look forward to going again. As I wrote before, the meats were VERY well prepared. Thanks for the tips on the sauces. I was a bit afraid of the "dragon sauce"...some sauces named like that are just heat, heat, and more heat. Sounds like this one has more to it. I will ask for extra sauce next time. After having waited so long with two kids I was a bit nervous about them falling asleep or having a melt down. They did neither, and really enjoyed the food as well, but I was a bit pressured to finish up. My 4 year old asked me just tonight if I could make him mashed potatoes like he had at that "place with the meat". He also keeps asking me if I have any Elvis music on my Ipod...as he liked what he heard while eating!!

Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/04 22:25:17 (permalink)
    Reckon I'll have to try it again... I hadn't been overwhelmed the first time. Not disappointed, just not overwhelmed.

One thing I found strange: corn bread makes a choice for a side. That is, everywhere else I've been to, the ribs (or other big platter) come with cornbread and choice of two sides. here, if you get cornbread, that's a side! I can see lunch only coming with one side, but that should be IN ADDITION TO cornbread! :)

Actually, OT, but I've been slightly obsessed with the various curries at Tiny Thai in Farmingdale lately. Yum. But haven't had BBQ for a while.
    sally824
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/07 09:39:56 (permalink)
    Tony Bad - I don't want you to feel Bad but Tennessee Jacks doesn't own a smoker.......(One of the servers there told me this) they buy all their meats pre-smoked...Also, anybody who knows anything about Smoking Briskets, 22 hours is ridiculous.....A brisket would become not edible......Slow cooking is great, but 22 hours????? Truthfully, I found their brisket tasted like Corned Beef with BBQ sauce.
    Scott_R
    Cheeseburger
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/07 10:51:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sally824

Tony Bad - I don't want you to feel Bad but Tennessee Jacks doesn't own a smoker.......(One of the servers there told me this) they buy all their meats pre-smoked...Also, anybody who knows anything about Smoking Briskets, 22 hours is ridiculous.....A brisket would become not edible......Slow cooking is great, but 22 hours????? Truthfully, I found their brisket tasted like Corned Beef with BBQ sauce.

Sally,
    does that go for the ribs, too? What do they do on-site?
    porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/07 12:31:18 (permalink)
    quote:

...Also, anybody who knows anything about Smoking Briskets, 22 hours is ridiculous.....A brisket would become not edible......Slow cooking is great, but 22 hours????? Truthfully, I found their brisket tasted like Corned Beef with BBQ sauce.

I beg to differ. A whole (packer cut) brisket of 15 pounds or more could easily take 22 hours if cooked at 225°. It might be falling apart tender, but inedible? Not hardly. pb
    kyleJohnson
    Junior Burger
    RE: good BBQ on.. Long Island??? 2005/11/07 13:13:28 (permalink)
    quote:

I have been watching this thread obviously because I have become a fan of TJ's- been there 3 times now, I have even passed the cornbread comments via e-mail to the owner. I saw this comment from Sally from Bay Shore, I was told that they smoke off-premise at the chef's house with his retired dad doing the smoking- maybe that is what the server meant. I don't see the reason to lie because nonetheless, the meat is extremely well-prepared- whether they buy it from a commercial smoker or not (is there even such a thing?). I remember eating at the Southside Hotel one night this summer and I commented to the server that I was so suprised the restaurant was so dead considering Smokin Als was so busy and the server stated "I don't know why people like that place so much, when they run out of ribs, they boil them and add liquid smoke." I didn't take that to heart, just seemed like jealousy.

Not to change the subject, I am anti corporate food but has anyone tried Smoky Bones or Famous Daves? My friend in Holbrook keeps trying to get me to go out there.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1