The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

good food in jackson, mi???

darkon

• Total Posts: 1
good food in jackson, mi??? Tue, 05/6/08 12:08 PM (permalink)
I am looking for really good places to eat around Jackson, Michigan. moved here almost a year ago and I am longing for many different things. Italian, chinese, anything that is not a chain restaurant.

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
    RE: good food in jackson, mi??? Tue, 05/6/08 12:46 PM (permalink)
    It's been a few years but, if they're still around ....

One of the best ice-cream dairies you'll ever visit is in Jackson - the Jackson All-Star Dairy, also known as "The Parlour." The ice cream dishes and sundaes are enormous and delicious. I was partial to the strawberry sundae. Their "Dare to be Great" offering is something like 30 scoops in a flower pot with everything in triplicate.

Jackson is, or used to be, home to a number of fine Michigan coney island, hole-in-the-wall, Roadfood-style eateries on the east side of town. Jackson, I think, used to be regarded in Michigan as a sort of mecca for this cuisine. The secret sauce ingredient: BEEF HEART!

Ask around for Schlenker's hamburgs. This was a roadside shack kind of food stand. Every morning, they hauled up the large windown panels and served little tiny hamburgers out both sides of the shack they fried up on the grill. Don't know if it's still there. Hope so.

On West Avenue, just over a railroad bridge on the way to the I-94, was a little cafe, whose name I can't remember, that had awesome pancakes and french toast. Just a dandy little place for Sunday breakfast.

The Hunt Club served up a pretty juicy steak at one time.

Finally - Ann Arbor is just an hour away with lots of great restaurants, including Zingerman's!

Please report back on your finds. Hope this helps.

- Rusty

Jamerican28

• Total Posts: 9
      Re:good food in jackson, mi??? Fri, 09/20/13 1:54 PM (permalink)
      Italian go to Giglio's on Cooper St.  There is a Chinese place over on the north side of town by Planet Fitness that is good and clean.  Best hole in the wall place with great food is Oak Tree Lounge.  Bone Island has an inexpensive Caribbean themed menu with decent food.  Davis's Steak Eatery has the best steak. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com