green chile stew

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/14 05:44:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by morningglory

Good questions about those tomatillos, and one I cannot answer, ss I do not cook with them like others do. I'd like to know, too. Thanks, in advance to those, so much wiser than I.

Thank you, Morningglory, I've been working with this recipe for the past four decades and I believe I prefer the slightly acidic taste the tomatillos add. To me they're a perfect match with the Chiles and the pork I use in this dish.
To each his own tastes, of course, but I've seen them in a number of recipes and have been adding them for several years. I hadn't seen them mentioned in the thread yet, so I asked.
rouxdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/14 15:44:59 (permalink)
TOMATILLOS, interesting thought. Believe I'm gonna give that a try.
Thanks for the suggestion D'step!
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/14 17:14:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rouxdog

TOMATILLOS, interesting thought. Believe I'm gonna give that a try.
Thanks for the suggestion D'step!

You are most welcome. I use ten or twelve of them in a small batch of Chili Verde and extrapolate up for larger batches. The last time I made this was at one of our favorite watering holes on dart night.
I used three six-to-eight pound pork butts chopped up bite sized and trimmed, several pounds of the tomatillos, and ten to twelve each of large Poblanos and Anaheims.
Oh, yes, I added three to four pounds of cubed New Potatoes the last twenty minutes or so, along with shredding some of those sweet baby carrots into it. They seem to mellow the flavors a bit. It amounted to about three quarters full in my five gallon roaster. We had several packages of tortillas and Fritos. The heathens ate everything, then gnawed on the handles of the roaster oven.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/14 18:29:46 (permalink)
As we say in the South, although usually in another context: "You guys ain't gonna believe this s**t!" But I found a dehydrated GCS mix in a grocery store in Los Lunas a while back. All I remember is that of the two brands I saw, it had the more colorful label. Any idea what it might have been? I'm not a connoisseur, but I thought it was very good; and I figure that if it sold in Los Lunas, it should be acceptable to more knowledgeable palates.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/14 19:10:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

As we say in the South, although usually in another context: "You guys ain't gonna believe this s**t!" But I found a dehydrated GCS mix in a grocery store in Los Lunas a while back. All I remember is that of the two brands I saw, it had the more colorful label. Any idea what it might have been? I'm not a connoisseur, but I thought it was very good; and I figure that if it sold in Los Lunas, it should be acceptable to more knowledgeable palates.
Rick, I Googled up some. We may have to make Mike try it and see if he survives. He used to be good for such uses as that.
http://www.madeinnewmexico.com/1123450050.html
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/14 19:21:11 (permalink)
Rick, they sell that stuff here in smith's stores.
i made it when i first moved here; it isn't all
that bad if your a chile novice.it's more of a
starter than anything. i remember having to add
a bunch of stuff to it to make it edible.
rouxdog
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/14 19:42:02 (permalink)
Well, I like to learn a little something each day. Never knew you could purchase dehydrated green chile stew. Now ain't that something. I think I'm gonna give it a try just for curiousity sake. Ain't gonna replace my fresh New Mexico chiles!
Thanks
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/15 01:39:31 (permalink)
Whoo hoo! Here's something I didn't know! The International Chili Society has Green Chile Championships, WITH recipes. Most appear to use tomatillas or a green salsa based on them.

World Chili Verde Champions
http://www.chilicookoff.com/Winner/Winner_Champions.asp?Cat=2
Rick F.
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/15 15:32:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dickestep

[Rick, I Googled up some. We may have to make Mike try it and see if he survives. He used to be good for such uses as that.
http://www.madeinnewmexico.com/1123450050.html
No, that's not it. I did buy some of the Cibola Junction for comparison, and it wasn't nearly as good. Thanks for trying, though.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/15 15:40:36 (permalink)
quote:

OK,GREEN CHILE STEW! Here' how we do it. How do you?
I started this, so here goes with my recipe for GREEN CHILE STEW. Text will probably be a bit long but keep in mind the author is using only two fingers to put forth a taste of love.
MEAT.. My preference is course ground chuck,good balance of fat to lean, good flavor and cheap.Small cubed chunks are as good, perhaps more traditional. I go with the easy. You could use pork, mutton or kangaroo, whatever you prefer.
GREEN CHILES.. Where we live, I deal with 3 preferences. All Hatch, New Mexico products. Shameless statement, perhaps, coming from a New Mexican. Something special about their flavor and texture. Other sources will make a good pot. My choices are from (1)the sack I bought, roasted and froze the previous fall, (2)13 oz. frozen tubs or(3) canned chiles. It all works!
LARD OR CANOLA..I use less than a pound of lard in a year. Some things are just better with lard, this pot is one of them.
SPICING IT UP.. Amounts of each are a matter of preference. I don't measure. For our purpose here, I'll do my best to keep everything at the moderate level.

LET'S COOK
GREEN CHILE STEW

Slow and lovingly simmer this thing from beginning to the end..........We ain't boiling folks! If you're in a hurry, open a can of Campbells.

I cook in a pretty good size heavy pot with a lid.

Let's start with 2 and 1/2 lb. of course ground Chuck
about 2 tablespoons of lard(veg. oil if you prefer)
add a couple medium sized diced onions,
a touch of salt & pepper
bust up the ground chuck, simmer LOW AND SLOW.
Now, after you've busted up the meat, onions are a little past opaque, not anywhere near carmelization, add one of those 13 oz. tubs of frozen Hatch HOT, mild if you wish, green chiles, about 3 tablespoons of well crushed garlic, stir and simmer.
Decision time..... Tomatoes, yes or no? Sometime yes, sometime no. If you choose to use tomatoes, they're NOT to be the featured ingredient,just adds a bit of flavor and color to the finished product. Personally, I rarely use tomatoes.If you choose to do so, my suggestion is to open a can of stewed whole tomatoes, remove most the seeds and liquid, crush the tomatoes in hand add to the pot sparringly.Simmer slowly for a spell.Folks who use tomatoes often add a pinch of sugar to balance out the acidity.
Sneak in some more spice about now. Mix in a little ground Cumin, palm full of Mexican oregano(ground twixt two of youy fingers. Add some ground onion and garlic powder
Now were getting to the serious part
potatoes... Amount, tough call. We like lots of potatoes. Lots of chiles ,spices and broth makes it all DANCE!
I'm gonna suggest with the amount of Chuck suggested about 6 # of potatoes. I just eyeball it. Peeled Russets work, occasionally like baby reds with skins on.Toss these cubed taters in the pot, simmer and stir occasionally.
This is happening fast, don't burn the feast!
Quickly add chicken broth. Then we simmer slow and low.I toss in a boullion cube when using canned broth.
Don't sit down yet! now add another tub of green chiles.
Simmer low and slow.........
About one hour before serving, add about half tub of more chiles. we're talking about GREEN CHILE STEW!
Near the end, taste and touch up with seasonings.

Thanks Dean, for this recipe. I just printed it out and we are going to give it a whirl this evening. We froze our batch from Hatch last harvest (August) and are thawing out a package now in the sink.
rouxdog
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/15 17:19:33 (permalink)
Tam,
We'll be looking forward to a report on your green chile stew experience. I like a little cornbread with it, Nancy prefers tortilla chips. Guess my southern heritage is once again surfacing.
Please go by Bennigans in Cruces, ask to be seated at that Lollar girls table, tip her real good, she's a college student!
Dean Lollar
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/15 17:42:49 (permalink)
quote:

Tam,
Please go by Bennigans in Cruces, ask to be seated at that Lollar girls table, tip her real good, she's a college student!
Dean Lollar

You say that's the Lollar girl at Bennigans in Cruces? I'm sure she is a young Lady deserving of our support, Dean.
rouxdog
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/15 19:03:20 (permalink)
D'step, I'm somewhat related to that Lollar girl at Bennigans in Las Cruces. She's finishing her degree in accounting.
She TRULY ENJOYS working in a restaurant, serving folks. Worked at a cafe here in Carrizozo couple summers ago. Folks still ask "how is your daughter doing in school"?
Thanks for inquiring.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/16 16:44:55 (permalink)
quote:

D'step, I'm somewhat related to that Lollar girl at Bennigans in Las Cruces. She's finishing her degree in accounting.
She TRULY ENJOYS working in a restaurant, serving folks. Worked at a cafe here in Carrizozo couple summers ago. Folks still ask "how is your daughter doing in school"?
Thanks for inquiring.

I had the relationship all figured out, Pard. I was giving her a little more publicity. Bennigans may hire her on in their office when she gets that degree.
rouxdog
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/16 18:18:50 (permalink)
D'step, I'll pass your message along to Ms. Lollar at Bennigans in Las Cruces, New Mexico. A bit of encouragement is always a welcomed thing.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/24 10:00:14 (permalink)
quote:

NYNM,
I'd really like to try some Chimayo green chile. Where might I find it this time of year?

Maybe Leona's in Chimayo can ship some.
http://www.leonasrestaurante.com

Maybe give a call, they'd know how to get some if they don't have it.

And Chimayo chile is delicious.

It is easy to get dried Chmayo in most supermarkets in Santa Fe; they sometimes have it frozen in the freezers, too. The best is called "Autumn Roast"
rouxdog
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/24 18:03:11 (permalink)
Thanks NYNM. I'm gonna follow up on the green. Have a quart jar where I keep my Chimayo dried red treasure. When that sucker gets down to about a quarter of a tank, I refill!
Ole Rouxdog
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/24 18:16:12 (permalink)
quote:

Thanks NYNM. I'm gonna follow up on the green. Have a quart jar where I keep my Chimayo dried red treasure. When that sucker gets down to about a quarter of a tank, I refill!
Ole Rouxdog

Lemma know what Leona has to say.

Leona also makes great tamales that they will ship.

Of course you can always make a trip out there...and stop at the Holy Chile stand across the road for more of the red and green stuff!!!
rouxdog
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/24 19:08:34 (permalink)
NYNM, Trip to Chimayo is big time on my radar screen,(Leona's as well as Rancho De Chimayo) in a couple weeks. Heading to Sante Fe for a philanthropic meeting. This country boy will need a little time to clear his head concerning that Sante Fe "thing" you so eloquently expressed earlier. I figure Chimayo is a great place to run to. Was in the village last November, spent way too much money at Ortega Weavers! The reward was our daughter absolutely loves and uses daily the woven wool purse I picked out for her Christmas gift.
I'll get some of those greens if available!
Ole Rouxdog
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/25 02:01:19 (permalink)
Great!!! Have you tried Joann's Rancho de Cascadas in Espanola? They're a funky restaurant for locals - bet they have great green chile stew.
www.joannsranchocasados.com
Also El Paragua in Espanola which is a nice more upscale but still local Mexican/New Mexican place.
http://www.elparagua.com/
We're going to SF this weekend for just 3 days. Need that chile fix!!!
rouxdog
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/25 10:55:15 (permalink)
NYNM, no haven't been to either place. Will put on my "go to" list. You do know that Espanola is where "lowriders" originated I hope.
Last Nov. when up that way, I purchased a ristra in Espanola, CHIMAYO CHILES!I made sure of that!Just now remembered. It hangs in the kitchen, admire it's beauty often. I know I should grind up that sucker and put in the jar, just can't make myself look at the truth. I really do need some help, I think?
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/25 12:22:15 (permalink)
Roux: Hey, you're normal (for a New Mexican).

Chiles really are slightly addictive - (well "habituating" according to some research):

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/addiction.html

Enjoy you're trip and lemme know abiut any new discoveries. Don't forget to go across the street from Leona's to see if the Guy with the Rap about Chile is there. We've mentioned him somewhere on Roadfood. He's a local who brings out all his chiles and lets you taste them and has a very humorous patter about it all. I bought some really good powders from him.

Xannie: Sorry I won't C U this weekend - it's a short trip - but I'm still on for Sadie's this summer
rouxdog
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/26 02:21:25 (permalink)
NYNM.
You and Xannie this summer going to Sadies? I'm still trying to make up with Xannie, but she just want talk with me. I remember when Sadies was in the bowling alley. 20 or so years ago I occasionally took some staff members out for a long lunch at Sadies and rolled a few balls.
Good people, good times!
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/26 11:31:38 (permalink)
quote:

Tam,
We'll be looking forward to a report on your green chile stew experience. I like a little cornbread with it, Nancy prefers tortilla chips. Guess my southern heritage is once again surfacing.
Dean Lollar

Well, Dean, we had family in from the northeast, and we gave the recipe a whirl. We used our frozen chiles from last year's harvest. This was supposed to be a superior harvest from 2005. We did not use tomatoes, went with the russets, like you suggested. My grievance was with the chiles themselves: not hot enough! I don't know if we would have been better served to run with this recipe last September prior to freezing the chiles. I wonder if that robbed them of some of their punch. However, I am in the minority, because my wife's family thought they were plenty hot. I guess I've built up a tolerance to the heat. Otherwise, the meal was delicious, and I thank you for taking the time to post the recipe. I think we will attempt this again in September, while the chile is still fresh. We had a few left over from our last bag and had green chile cheeseburgers last night. And again, I have to say the chiles were very mild, especially compared to 2005.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/26 16:11:09 (permalink)
quote:

NYNM.
You and Xannie this summer going to Sadies? I'm still trying to make up with Xannie, but she just want talk with me. I remember when Sadies was in the bowling alley. 20 or so years ago I occasionally took some staff members out for a long lunch at Sadies and rolled a few balls.
Good people, good times!

So lets do a RoadFood Meet n Greet in ABQ this summer!!!!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/26 19:42:24 (permalink)
Well, I haven't entered the fray here, as it has been a NM lovefest.
That said, I guess I would differentiate between Green Chile Stew and Chile Verde.
What I've learned in pursuit of this dish is that Tomatillos are a "low country" fruit,
only viable to about 2000 ft. hence, never seen in NM. In Arizona, where I learned to make the dish, they are used for sure.
Here's how I was taught: Take a roasting pan with rack, place Tomatillos in Husk on rack, with water in Pan to steam. Roast at 450-500 til charred.
Take tomatillos, and holding by stem , squish the contents out. I use about 1 pound to 2 pounds of Pork. Add Garlic, Cilantro, Cumin, mexi Oregano, Some Citrus for an acid(I experiment with Lemons, Limes, Grapefruit, Oranges, all wonderful), some sweet, (I prefer honey),
And then either make the Sauce separately, and add lean Pork, or stew the whole shebang with a Shoulder or Butt. Of course I char the peppers; I usually use a variety just for fun.
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=378
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/27 08:38:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

Well, I haven't entered the fray here, as it has been a NM lovefest.
That said, I guess I would differentiate between Green Chile Stew and Chile Verde.
What I've learned in pursuit of this dish is that Tomatillos are a "low country" fruit,
only viable to about 2000 ft. hence, never seen in NM. In Arizona, where I learned to make the dish, they are used for sure.
Here's how I was taught: Take a roasting pan with rack, place Tomatillos in Husk on rack, with water in Pan to steam. Roast at 450-500 til charred.
Take tomatillos, and holding by stem , squish the contents out. I use about 1 pound to 2 pounds of Pork. Add Garlic, Cilantro, Cumin, mexi Oregano, Some Citrus for an acid(I experiment with Lemons, Limes, Grapefruit, Oranges, all wonderful), some sweet, (I prefer honey),
And then either make the Sauce separately, and add lean Pork, or stew the whole shebang with a Shoulder or Butt. Of course I char the peppers; I usually use a variety just for fun.
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=378

Thanks, Bill. My quest for the perfect batch of Chile Verde has been forty years of trial and error. I've been advocating the use of tomatillos but I've only learned it in the last few years. I appreciate your tip on charring them, and will adjust my own recipe to doing just that.
Rick F.
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/30 22:39:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM
So lets do a RoadFood Meet n Greet in ABQ this summer!!!!
Sounds good to me! I'll be there. So will my brother, I expect, if he's around.
rouxdog
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/30 23:09:15 (permalink)
NYNM,
Little tardy responding. Count me in as well! Think you're the OFFICIAL organizer of the New Mexico roadfood fest!!
Whip us into shape!
Ole Rouxdog
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: green chile stew 2007/03/30 23:26:07 (permalink)
i am in shock.
the hubster is thrilled with the idea of getting together with
roadfooders for a meet eat and greet in new mexico.
38 years of marriage and he still surprises me.
go figure.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1