green chile stew

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
rouxdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1421
2007/03/01 10:31:43 (permalink)

green chile stew

A few of us wish to share green chile stew recipes. Question, is there an existing topic on this matter, I don't know how to do a search. I'll wait awhile to hear from you, then go from there.
Thanks,
Dean

69 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18882
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/01 11:31:51 (permalink)
    rouxdog
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/01 17:12:04 (permalink)
    OK,GREEN CHILE STEW! Here' how we do it. How do you?
    I started this, so here goes with my recipe for GREEN CHILE STEW. Text will probably be a bit long but keep in mind the author is using only two fingers to put forth a taste of love.
    MEAT.. My preference is course ground chuck,good balance of fat to lean, good flavor and cheap.Small cubed chunks are as good, perhaps more traditional. I go with the easy. You could use pork, mutton or kangaroo, whatever you prefer.
    GREEN CHILES.. Where we live, I deal with 3 preferences. All Hatch, New Mexico products. Shameless statement, perhaps, coming from a New Mexican. Something special about their flavor and texture. Other sources will make a good pot. My choices are from (1)the sack I bought, roasted and froze the previous fall, (2)13 oz. frozen tubs or(3) canned chiles. It all works!
    LARD OR CANOLA..I use less than a pound of lard in a year. Some things are just better with lard, this pot is one of them.
    SPICING IT UP.. Amounts of each are a matter of preference. I don't measure. For our purpose here, I'll do my best to keep everything at the moderate level.

LET'S COOK
    GREEN CHILE STEW

Slow and lovingly simmer this thing from beginning to the end..........We ain't boiling folks! If you're in a hurry, open a can of Campbells.

I cook in a pretty good size heavy pot with a lid.

Let's start with 2 and 1/2 lb. of course ground Chuck
    about 2 tablespoons of lard(veg. oil if you prefer)
    add a couple medium sized diced onions,
    a touch of salt & pepper
    bust up the ground chuck, simmer LOW AND SLOW.
    Now, after you've busted up the meat, onions are a little past opaque, not anywhere near carmelization, add one of those 13 oz. tubs of frozen Hatch HOT, mild if you wish, green chiles, about 3 tablespoons of well crushed garlic, stir and simmer.
    Decision time..... Tomatoes, yes or no? Sometime yes, sometime no. If you choose to use tomatoes, they're NOT to be the featured ingredient,just adds a bit of flavor and color to the finished product. Personally, I rarely use tomatoes.If you choose to do so, my suggestion is to open a can of stewed whole tomatoes, remove most the seeds and liquid, crush the tomatoes in hand add to the pot sparringly.Simmer slowly for a spell.Folks who use tomatoes often add a pinch of sugar to balance out the acidity.
    Sneak in some more spice about now. Mix in a little ground Cumin, palm full of Mexican oregano(ground twixt two of youy fingers. Add some ground onion and garlic powder
    Now were getting to the serious part
    potatoes... Amount, tough call. We like lots of potatoes. Lots of chiles ,spices and broth makes it all DANCE!
    I'm gonna suggest with the amount of Chuck suggested about 6 # of potatoes. I just eyeball it. Peeled Russets work, occasionally like baby reds with skins on.Toss these cubed taters in the pot, simmer and stir occasionally.
    This is happening fast, don't burn the feast!
    Quickly add chicken broth. Then we simmer slow and low.I toss in a boullion cube when using canned broth.
    Don't sit down yet! now add another tub of green chiles.
    Simmer low and slow.........
    About one hour before serving, add about half tub of more chiles. we're talking about GREEN CHILE STEW!
    Near the end, taste and touch up with seasonings.

desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/01 19:21:20 (permalink)

Just printed it out and it's in my recipe binder already! Thanks RD. That is an excellent recipe, can't wait to give it a try.!
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/01 20:06:07 (permalink)
    I am so glad this thread was started by rouxdog, even if it has been discussed in the past, and I will enjoy reading that link, which Mr. Hoffman has been so gallant to provide.

Currently, this discussion started over in soups, potato bacon soup thread, when it was suggested that green chiles be added to what I consider one of the most humble and satisfying comfort foods (potato soup). While I love green chiles in any form, I had never even considered/imagined combining the two.

I found the idea intriging and my mouth watering, so here we are. Roux suggested I start the thread, and I did google for recipes, and there were many, but I had no first hand experience, except with my own free form version of traditional chile, with or without beans, and ingredients, meat, etc., depending on what I have on hand, or my mood of the day. " />

Rouxdog, thanks for coming through, and since I have most of the ingredients on hand, and I grow my own peppers here is sunny CA, this will be tonight's project. Wish I was as adept as some to take pic's but I have not graduated beyond those stupid throw-aways. LOL.

Thanks Michael Hoffman for the link to the previous thread.

Thanks Rouxdog for the recipes and a new look at a previously discussed topic.

More recipes, folks?
    rouxdog
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/01 20:50:49 (permalink)
    Morningglory,
    You should tell us about your tonights pot of Green Chile Stew. You are a very kind person.I as well, thank Michael Hoffman being instrumental started this subject.
    NOW................Everyone, what are your thoughts to build the ULTIMATE POT OF GREEN CHILE STEW!
    Roux
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/02 01:15:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rouxdog

OK,GREEN CHILE STEW! Here' how we do it. How do you?
    I started this, so here goes with my recipe for GREEN CHILE STEW. Text will probably be a bit long but keep in mind the author is using only two fingers to put forth a taste of love.
    MEAT.. My preference is course ground chuck,good balance of fat to lean, good flavor and cheap.Small cubed chunks are as good, perhaps more traditional. I go with the easy. You could use pork, mutton or kangaroo, whatever you prefer.
    GREEN CHILES.. Where we live, I deal with 3 preferences. All Hatch, New Mexico products. Shameless statement, perhaps, coming from a New Mexican. Something special about their flavor and texture. Other sources will make a good pot. My choices are from (1)the sack I bought, roasted and froze the previous fall, (2)13 oz. frozen tubs or(3) canned chiles. It all works!
    LARD OR CANOLA..I use less than a pound of lard in a year. Some things are just better with lard, this pot is one of them.
    SPICING IT UP.. Amounts of each are a matter of preference. I don't measure. For our purpose here, I'll do my best to keep everything at the moderate level.

LET'S COOK
    GREEN CHILE STEW

Slow and lovingly simmer this thing from beginning to the end..........We ain't boiling folks! If you're in a hurry, open a can of Campbells.

I cook in a pretty good size heavy pot with a lid.

Let's start with 2 and 1/2 lb. of course ground Chuck
    about 2 tablespoons of lard(veg. oil if you prefer)
    add a couple medium sized diced onions,
    a touch of salt & pepper
    bust up the ground chuck, simmer LOW AND SLOW.
    Now, after you've busted up the meat, onions are a little past opaque, not anywhere near carmelization, add one of those 13 oz. tubs of frozen Hatch HOT, mild if you wish, green chiles, about 3 tablespoons of well crushed garlic, stir and simmer.
    Decision time..... Tomatoes, yes or no? Sometime yes, sometime no. If you choose to use tomatoes, they're NOT to be the featured ingredient,just adds a bit of flavor and color to the finished product. Personally, I rarely use tomatoes.If you choose to do so, my suggestion is to open a can of stewed whole tomatoes, remove most the seeds and liquid, crush the tomatoes in hand add to the pot sparringly.Simmer slowly for a spell.Folks who use tomatoes often add a pinch of sugar to balance out the acidity.
    Sneak in some more spice about now. Mix in a little ground Cumin, palm full of Mexican oregano(ground twixt two of youy fingers. Add some ground onion and garlic powder
    Now were getting to the serious part
    potatoes... Amount, tough call. We like lots of potatoes. Lots of chiles ,spices and broth makes it all DANCE!
    I'm gonna suggest with the amount of Chuck suggested about 6 # of potatoes. I just eyeball it. Peeled Russets work, occasionally like baby reds with skins on.Toss these cubed taters in the pot, simmer and stir occasionally.
    This is happening fast, don't burn the feast!
    Quickly add chicken broth. Then we simmer slow and low.I toss in a boullion cube when using canned broth.
    Don't sit down yet! now add another tub of green chiles.
    Simmer low and slow.........
    About one hour before serving, add about half tub of more chiles. we're talking about GREEN CHILE STEW!
    Near the end, taste and touch up with seasonings.

This recipe is very similar to mine but I prefer to use pork butt as the meat!! Having grown up in Colorado and Arizona, I have become biased. Most of the green chile stews I have come across are of the pork variety. There is only one thing I won't compromise, that is I ALWAYS use chiles from Hatch N.M.. I drive through quite often and I always make a point of stopping there in Sept. when the new harvest is in. I usually buy 20# at a time as to have some around all year. Since I have a 6 foot long griller/smoker I usually roast and peel myself.
    Looks like I'll have to whip up a batch of stew soon when the weather cools off again.
    David O.
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/04 01:48:54 (permalink)
    Hi,

Just wanted to report how my batch of green chili stew went. I pretty much followed rouxdog's recipe, although rarely follow recipes exactly, but wanted his, as a point of reference. Normally, I would have cut it in half, but daughter and hubby were coming by the next day to help with some lawn chores.

I thought I pulled out ground chuck, but instead it was ground pork...I proceeded according to the recipe with the following changes:

My frozen peppers were not smoked, so I browned the pork and onions with about 4 stips of chopped bacon. I did not add tomatoes, but had about a third of a red pepper, which I chopped and added at the end, for color and served my soup, when it was al dente.

I simmerred most of that evening, and stole a taste, knowing I would be serving it the next day with kids over. It was delightful.

Next evening, I slowly heated it up, adjusted seasonings, (I like it spicy, so added some hot sauce), and when heated through, put in my immesion blender, just to thicken it up a bit. I don't like my soups too fakey thick.

The chili stew was a hit, both spicy, filling, and conforting, all at the same time, and a taste combination very new to my taste buds. The kids loved it. Craig is a big guy, 6' 4" with a hearty appetite,so little was left. I served it with a salad,crusty bread and beer. Oh, for garnishes, I added, chopped green onion, cilantro, grated jack, and sour cream. Afterwards, we watched a movie. I fell asleep, awakening to being covered up with a quilt on the sofa, and the kids in the guest room, since they were staying to help me in the yard.

I really wish I could have taken pictures, as it truly was a meal as festive in it's colorful display, as it was tasty going down.

Thanks all for the inspiration everyone, and rouxdog, for the recipe to get me started. Hoping all goes well on Monday, and do as the nurses tell you, Ya hear?!

MG
    rouxdog
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/04 05:46:46 (permalink)
    M'Glory,
    What a great adventure you had with green chile stew, you make me happy!
    RN, gotta tell you a funny. Last time(two yrs. ago) they had me on the Wheely gurney thing in the hospital awaiting my appointment with the knife, the "put you to sleep" feller went down his list of questions. Asked if I consumed alcohol? Yes. What do you drink? For the most part Coors Light,if someone else is buying I'll drink about anything. He says "me to". He gets me all wired up, I'm laying there relaxing he comes back in a few minutes and says " we've got a little delay, Docs running a bit late". The good news is I have a six pack for you. Would you like it all at once or one at a time? My response was" I haven't had a drop to drink in more than 12 hours and I'm mightily thirsty,Gimme the sixpack!"
    Oh M'Glory girl, best 6 pack I've ever enjoyed, not filling. I hope the Doc(good friend) is running late Monday, I've encouraged him to do so!!
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/04 09:57:50 (permalink)
    This stuff is great! It's best with FRESH Hatch chile peppers. I buy a big sack every summer then roast, vacuum seal and freeze for later use.

Hatch Pork Chile

2-3 lb Pulled Pork, smoked and chopped
    1 med onion, diced
    5-6 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tbs olive oil
    2 lbs Hatch green chile's, roasted and skinned
    1 red bell pepper, roasted and skinned
    1 yellow bell pepper, roasted and skinned
    1-2 poblano peppers, roasted and skinned
    1 heaping tbs cumin
    1 tsp salt(optional)
    1 tsp black pepper
    4 14 oz cans chicken stock
    2 bottle Amber Bach

Saute garlic and onion in olive oil.

Add pork (I add an a few shakes of the rub to the pork before adding to onions)

Add 1 bottle Amber Bach

Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.

Simmer, partially covered, for 2-3 hours.

If you want more heat, add a couple Jalapeno or Serrano peppers but it’s pretty spicy already. The Hatch lose some potency when frozen.

Add 1 bottle Amber Bach 20-30 min before it’s done.

rouxdog
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/04 10:34:44 (permalink)
    BR, you Okie. Your recipe looks terrific. I'd recommend one adjustment. Pour in another can or two of chicken stock and drink those two beers while you're cooking this pot of love. Oh them Hatch chiles, you've revealed why this hillbilly settled in southern New Mexico!
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/04 15:12:35 (permalink)
    rouxdog,

The AB gives it a nice aroma and adds lots of flavor... besides you should never buy less than a six pack. Those Hatch chiles come in mighty handy for enchiladas too. This summer I plan to try inserting a hot dog into a fresh one then batter and deep fry it.
    rouxdog
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/04 16:31:52 (permalink)
    BR.... I feel like spanking myself! 6 pack of course! When you finish roasting the Hatch, pick out the better looking ones, package, label and freeze for RELLENOS.My wife makes some really good rellenos, I mean good.
    I don't know about that hot dog thing but I'll try most anything once.
    PS. You're onto the Hatch Green. Now how about dazzling the folks in Broken Arrow with Chimayo, NM ground RED chile. Do this and you'll be covering both sides of the street!!!! Have a problem finding the real thing, let me know, I'll tell my people to tell your people where to get it!
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/04 20:13:36 (permalink)
    quote:

BR, you Okie. Your recipe looks terrific. I'd recommend one adjustment. Pour in another can or two of chicken stock and drink those two beers while you're cooking this pot of love. Oh them Hatch chiles, you've revealed why this hillbilly settled in southern New Mexico!
    If it ain't HATCH it ain't S#*% ! True that!!! Make sure you get the real deal!!!

David O.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/05 09:51:55 (permalink)
    Don't forget Chimayo chile - NM'ers use it when the Hatch Batch is low. I love it - it is a tad sweeter than Hatch but still HOT. mmmmm
    rouxdog
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/10 17:32:16 (permalink)
    NYNM,
    I'd really like to try some Chimayo green chile. Where might I find it this time of year?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/10 18:05:08 (permalink)
    quote:

A few of us wish to share green chile stew recipes. Question, is there an existing topic on this matter, I don't know how to do a search. I'll wait awhile to hear from you, then go from there.
    Thanks,
    Dean

It's easy to do a search. Go to the homepage. Up at the top there's the word "Search" in blue ink. Click on it. Enter the words Green Chile Stew or any other words or phrases for that matter. Click the "Match exact phrase" button and hit search. Bingo, Git 'er Done!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4122
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/10 23:01:46 (permalink)
    If you do use tomatoes, I wonder how the canned yellow tomatoes work as far as maintaining color vs. adding tomato taste?
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/11 01:49:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

Don't forget Chimayo chile - NM'ers use it when the Hatch Batch is low. I love it - it is a tad sweeter than Hatch but still HOT. mmmmm

OK for all you chile pepper officianados, what do you suggest for us, in Northern CA, (we have wonderful (?) long hot and dry summer days) for growing chili peppers. I need to start my seedlings, very soon and get my seed order in. I am really late this year. Sheesh and shame on me.

I get every seed catalog under the sun, so any suggestions for something like your Hatch or Chimayo, would be appreciated. And, yes, I did a search on Yahoo, but was not able to find a source for seeds to grow these peppers. HELP!

No one has complained about the chili's I have grown and cooked with, but what the hey. Everyone seems to really rave about those Hatch, Chimayo, and other NM varieties, I just had to ask.

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/11 03:49:58 (permalink)
    Pasilla
    Arbol
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/11 05:15:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Pasilla
    Arbol

Hi Sir,

I did a search and found the folling using pasilla, and arbol:

http://www.webwonks.org/Hobbies/Peppers/Gardening.html

and this was not in English:?

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81rbol

So, I am still at a loss for Hatch and the above advised Pasilla and Arbol types.

OK, HELP.

I just want a similar type seed, so that I can plant my garden and enjoy this bountiful chili garden and cooking.

rouxdog
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/11 18:12:15 (permalink)
    M'glory,
    I've attempted to e-mail you this info., but for double measure and anyone else interested, here's a suggestion to learning about Chiles, the crop.
    Try going directly to www.chiletaskforce.org.......... This is a link sponsored by New Mexico State University(NMSU). If that fails, go to NMSU, then their Ag. Dept., then chile peppers.
    Much information is available.
    Glory,I hope you find the site, please let me know.
    Dean
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/11 19:50:55 (permalink)
    Arbol means tree, so that's why you got the Spanish entry describing trees. What I was referring to was the chile de arbol, or tree chile. It's an intensely flavored and quite hot pepper, growing long, thin and curved. I love them with pot beans and in rice. The arbol is very popular in Mexico as well as California, so you shouldn't have any problem finding seeds or starts.

Go here for the arbol as well as others: http://phoenix.about.com/od/foodanddrink/ss/chilepepper_3.htm

I have more chile resources I'll be happy to share with you. Just holler.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/11 19:53:45 (permalink)
    quote:

M'glory,
    I've attempted to e-mail you this info., but for double measure and anyone else interested, here's a suggestion to learning about Chiles, the crop.
    Try going directly to www.chiletaskforce.org.......... This is a link sponsored by New Mexico State University(NMSU). If that fails, go to NMSU, then their Ag. Dept., then chile peppers.
    Much information is available.
    Glory,I hope you find the site, please let me know.
    Dean
    To get rouxdog's link to work, click on it and manually remove all the extraneous characters after the .org
    rouxdog
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/11 20:32:33 (permalink)
    My bad enginecapt. Thanks for your help. I tend to be overly generous with my punctuation.
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/12 18:28:52 (permalink)
    rouxdog and enginecapt,

Thank you both for your helpfull links. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

MG

dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 533
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/14 01:12:16 (permalink)
    Mmm, GREEN CHILE STEW! I tasted my first exquisite bowl of it in a Mexican food place in downtown Colorado Springs, Colorado in 1966. I've been on a Holy Quest for the Perfect Recipe ever since.
    rouxdog
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/14 03:02:36 (permalink)
    Please pardon my abruptness, I suggest you scroll to the beginning of this thread for a great recipe I and others posted. Very seriously, many are here to be helpful. Green Chile Stew is one beautiful thing.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 533
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/14 04:04:44 (permalink)
    quote:

Please pardon my abruptness, I suggest you scroll to the beginning of this thread for a great recipe I and others posted. Very seriously, many are here to be helpful. Green Chile Stew is one beautiful thing.

Thank you, Pard. I have been studying these recipes devotedly, and will try some of the suggestions. I've thought of one question I'd like to ask here. I've used tomatillos in several of the dozens of variations of this I've cooked in the last forty years. What is your opinion of them in this dish?
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: green chile stew 2007/03/14 05:12:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dickestep

quote:

Thank you, Pard. I have been studying these recipes devotedly, and will try some of the suggestions. I've thought of one question I'd like to ask here. I've used tomatillos in several of the dozens of variations of this I've cooked in the last forty years. What is your opinion of them in this dish?

Good questions about those tomatillos, and one I cannot answer, ss I do not cook with them like others do. I'd like to know, too. Thanks, in advance to those, so much wiser than I.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1