green sauces and salsas+chile verde

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4583
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/04/02 12:25:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

What about the green sauce served in Spanish (Spain) restaurants? I believe the main ingredient is parsley....(oil, garlic, etc.)

Tell us about them. I've never eaten Spanish food.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/04/02 12:26:41 (permalink)
Are there any good green salsa's on the market worth trying-canned,jarred?
BR
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/04/03 17:24:14 (permalink)
Mike... just buy whatever is available and doctor it up a bit with some finely diced onions, a squeeze of lime juice, minced garlic, maybe a little cilantro or anything that suits your taste. Personally I add a couple splashes of fish sauce but that's just me. You can puree some diced tomatoes or salsa or even a chipotle pepper. The sky is the limit.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/04/03 17:53:16 (permalink)
Mike, the brands I mentioned earlier, Herdez for salsa verde, and La Costena for mexican green sauce, are not bad like they come out of the jar. Fix em up like BR says will make them even better. The fish sauce? I have not tried that yet. But, BR likes it!
Joe
wfmitchell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/09/17 16:03:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tdeneek

We planted a whole bunch of tomatillo plants last summer and when they started to ripen we realized we had no idea what to do with them. (anyone else ever plant anything just for fun?) Anyway, we found a really simple salsa recipe and with a few moderations, WOW was it good. We took chips and salsa to every bbq we went to. We also sold a ton of them at our farmers market, we have a fairly large mexican population up here, and they really like buying fresh tomatillos.

I also at one time worked in a Mexican restauraunt and our head chefs loved to make up new salsas all the time. At one time we had 6-8 different salsas of differing degrees of heat and flavor. I loved it. I am such a salsa lover!
MGWerks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/09/17 22:36:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Ok, I found my favorite brand of Salsa Verde... Herdez. Not that I dont't like almost all Salsa Verdes but this brand is the one I like best.
Joe, the Herdez group makes[url='http://www.herdeztraditions.com/products/default.aspx']many fine salsas[/url] besides the verde, and I can vouch for over half of them. But a real prize, also manufactured by Herdez, is the [url='http://www.herdeztraditions.com/products/hot_sauce.aspx']BÚFALO[/url] brand of hot sauces. They are thicker, like A-1, and have much of the pepper's fruit flavors intact, instead of the vinegary flavor of most other sauces. Made and used in Mexico for 50 years, it only runs a buck or two a bottle. I go through 2-3 bottles a month - by myself.
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

What about the green sauce served in Spanish (Spain) restaurants? I believe the main ingredient is parsley....(oil, garlic, etc.)
I'm betting that the salsa you are looking for is chimichurri, most often associated with South American churrasco cooking. Many different recipes for it on the net, but my favorite chimichurri, at Los Barrios in San Antonio, has as yet escaped either my searching or duplication at home. Experimenting continues...
BR
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/09/18 06:10:23 (permalink)
I agree with MGWerks... you must be talking about chimichurri. Just whiz together a handful of parsley, 1/4 lemon or lime juiced, several cloves of garlic, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, S&P, 1-2 T red wine vinegar and drizzle olive oil in to the desired consistency. It's very good on a nice rare steak.
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1965
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/09/18 15:25:26 (permalink)
quote:
NewMex food doesn't use tomatillos at all, except in fusion food in Santa Fe restaurants.

I used tomatillos for the first time this summer. Also called "husk tomatoes", I find them to be a nice addition to a lot of mixtures. Mine came from a friend. I plan to grow some next summer.
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1965
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/09/18 15:28:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by paoconnell

In New Mexico, "green chile" is literally made of roasted, chopped green chile with spices, garlic and onion, maybe a little chicken, vegetable, or pork stock. Add chunks of pork or other meat (beef, chicken and lamb are good too) and potatoes and maybe tomato, and you have green chile stew. Very simple; we make it at home because the local Wal Mart grocer carries frozen chopped green chile.

NewMex food doesn't use tomatillos at all, except in fusion food in Santa Fe restaurants.

Now I am burning space to cover my mistake. When I replied to the above quote, I cut out the part that I didn't need to save space. I took out toooooo much when I deleted to original posters name.......sorry
allyk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 154
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/09/18 16:01:39 (permalink)
Interesting--my fiance', who is from El Salvador refers to all Latinos as "Spanish". The gringos in our area refer to all Latinos as Hispanic. And I have a Cuban friend who says only persons of Spanish ancestry are Hispanic. I've always assumed "Latino" was the proper term. Hey--whatever happened to "Chicano"?
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Richard Brooks Alba

Folks,

I remember from my youth the Mexican restaurant 'gringo' shuffle: "Is green hotter than red - or milder? I forget." And that question STILL seems to get posed far too often in a place that should fundamentally understand that it all depends on the ingredients. If you don't know your chiles (and even if you do - the naming conventions have gotten pretty sloppy because of lapses of attention, memory, mental discipline, whatever...), you have to sample. "What if it's too hot?" Always sample as if it will be. Those of us who have been eating this stuff since infancy still sample [unless we really already know] before diving in. I long ago gave up trying to get people to just taste, rather tha play '20 Questions' to determine whether their tastebuds might be at risk for permanent damage. I now encourage those folks to eat something besides Mexican, lest a stray pepper injure their digestive tract.

Even within my own family, there's a tremendous breadth of variation in how we prepare our salsas - my mom cooked all her salsas, my sister does it all in a blender, and I like to blacken my chiles [fresh serranos, typically] and tomatoes before I chop up my salsa fresca. We all like tomatillos, but almost never make salsa featuring them - consequently, our family gatherings can feature 100% red salsas. (Unless I make my yellow salsa [yellow tomatoes, pineapple and/or mango, serranos, lime juice, easy on the cilantro] for some nice grilled fish.)
Buena suerte,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA

P.S. The usage of "Hispanic" in this forum (and elsewhere in the universe) warrants some attention here. Except in reference to things or people from Spain - or of, or under, Spanish influence - "Hispanic" isn't properly used to describe all peoples from - or with origins in - Latin America. Many, but not all, speak [or come from traditions of speaking] Spanish. The preferred term for this group, at least in the communities that I've encountered in my limited travels, is "Latino." The term is used for broad-community references, not for narrow-community reference. In the same way that "European cuisine" would lump 'Wiener Schnitzel' with 'bangers & mash,' "Latino cuisine" would lump 'tacos de pescado' with a 'Cuban sandwich.' For the purpose of this forum, 'Mexican' (and other nationalist references) is exactly what's called for. Where things get especially confusing - and why "Hispanic" muddies the water - is that there are foods mentioned here that are pre-Hispanic (or 'pre-Columbian,' if you prefer), like corn tortillas. (Other pre-Hispanic offerings would include tomatoes & chocolate.) Many folks that you might find in California & elsewhere in the Americas today were never vanquished by the Spanish - only recently, in the time of agricultural collapse in their communities of origin, have they even learned a little Spanish [& more recently, English] to get by economically. Latinos understand & [mostly] accept "Latino" - Latinos understand & [often] resent "Hispanic." While not exactly derogatory, it does push our buttons. Think how you would feel if you were called 'English' for the fact that you spoke English, rather than be called 'American.' In some places, 'Hispanic' is used as code for Latinos who have 'pure' European/Spanish blood - so if you think you can tell them apart by looking, they are most definitely NOT 'Hispanic'....

I find that rather amusing because the Mexican political groups here in Cali were the ones to demand the use of the term "Hispanic", and only the barrio dwellers were using "Latino" at one time..dunno how it is up north where you are Richard, but that's the climate here in the central valley.
MGWerks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/09/19 00:18:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BR

I agree with MGWerks... you must be talking about chimichurri. Just whiz together a handful of parsley, 1/4 lemon or lime juiced, several cloves of garlic, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, S&P, 1-2 T red wine vinegar and drizzle olive oil in to the desired consistency. It's very good on a nice rare steak.
And try substituting cilantro for half (or all) of the parsley for a fresher peppery taste!
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2009/01/24 22:26:50 (permalink)
My favorite Mexican restaurant, Jalapeno's in Schererville IN, makes a dynamite green salsa that's quite a bit hotter than their regular red stuff. Only problem is that they charge a buck extra for it.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4583
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2009/01/24 22:43:11 (permalink)
EliseT

Thanks, I got kind of lost.

My Roadfood motto.
MN Locavore
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2009/05/01 12:26:59 (permalink)
I stumbled across this place - though I've known about it for years - Googling Los Barrios' chimichurri sauce, that I STILL am not able to get the recipe for and it's been 23 YEARS!  If any one has or knows of this recipe, or is able to get it...  PLEASE let me know.

Also, regarding sauce (bottled) condiments, my fav - I gave up the Bufalo chipotle for this - is the habanero El Yucateco sauce.  Pronounced by affecianados as "El Yucky Tech O" due to the wonderful radiated, shockingly bright green color.

My favorite canned sauce is - and danged if I can't remember the name right now - are the chipotles in adobo that come with the garishly ill orange label with lady on the front.  Simply my opinion, but I find them (sauce and chiles) superior to Hernandez and San Marcos.  Smokier, less bitter and 'vinegar-y' and more delicate with greater bouquet than the latter two.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2009/05/01 15:06:27 (permalink)
MN, that's the LaCostina I mentioned earlier..I think? I used their chipotles in adobo to make my copycat Benny Binion's Real Texas Chili. That is also my fav brand of pickled jalapenos.
Joe
MN Locavore
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2009/05/02 08:50:37 (permalink)
Joe, yup, that is it!  THANKS!
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1