grinding your own beef?

Author
Thatchairlady
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2012/03/10 10:25:20 (permalink)

grinding your own beef?

Do ya?  What cuts would you use for say meatloaf, meatballs, or burgers?  What implements of destruction would you use?  Found one of those old-fashioned metal hand-crank grinders, but don't have enough over-hang on counter to grip well.  Have a good food processor.  Have a KA stand mixer and wondering if that grinder attachment is a good inventment.

Any input?

6 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:grinding your own beef? 2012/03/10 11:15:20 (permalink)
    I have an electric meat grinder and I've used it to grind beef (mostly chuck) for hamburgers. I get a sort of smug satisfaction doing that, but I'm not sure it's worth the bother of getting it out of the closet and the clean-up after. I made roast beef hash with it the other day (leftover pot roast, potato, and onion) and decided the texture was too mushy. Probably, the best use would be to make sausage, but have yet to attempt it. All in all, the food processor is the way to go unless someone wants to give you a grinder and you have extra storage space. jmho, pb
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 813
    Re:grinding your own beef? 2012/03/10 11:23:25 (permalink)
    porkbeaks

I have an electric meat grinder and I've used it to grind beef (mostly chuck) for hamburgers. I get a sort of smug satisfaction doing that, but I'm not sure it's worth the bother of getting it out of the closet and the clean-up after. I made roast beef hash with it the other day (leftover pot roast, potato, and onion) and decided the texture was too mushy. Probably, the best use would be to make sausage, but have yet to attempt it. All in all, the food processor is the way to go unless someone wants to give you a grinder and you have extra storage space. jmho, pb

I agree. Best way to make hash is just to chop it up.

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2110
    Re:grinding your own beef? 2012/03/10 19:00:51 (permalink)
    I bought the Tasin TS-108 meat grinder from Northern Tools about 15 years ago ($89). I use it to make my own sausage and hamburger.    
    Northern Tools has a similar looking grinder with a different name. I don't think the motor is as powerful as mine (???).

I usually buy chuck when on sale to make my hamburger.  It taste much better than the store meat or the mass produced hamburger with the 'pink slime'.
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/03/10 19:06:06
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    Re:grinding your own beef? 2012/03/10 19:11:21 (permalink)
    I grind chuck and pork butt for hamburger and meatloaf. Veal is added when making meatballs. For steak tartare I grind top loin, mostly.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re:grinding your own beef? 2012/03/10 20:23:05 (permalink)
    This is the reason I raise my own Beef and pork and have it processed where I know whats going on. All my beef is processed to my specs, not processed under these bu-lsh-t guidelines. We are processing a pig next friday, we will cure our own hams and bacon, make our own sausage and cut the rest into Chops and larger cuts of meat for smoking and BBQing. We are raising an 11 year old and I'm happy to be feeding her hormone free meat...............pnwc
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:grinding your own beef? 2012/03/10 20:32:43 (permalink)
    I've ground my own burger many times. Sometimes use chuck, sometimes, I use the stew meat you can get at Sam's. As for the KitchenAid, that's what I use and it does a great job. Well worth the cost, as are most of the KA attachments. I usually run my meat through twice. That gives me a good mix and the grind is about perfect.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1