guidelines, rules,license and permits for starting hot dog cart in N.carolia

Author
mook8809
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2012/02/05 13:06:31 (permalink)

guidelines, rules,license and permits for starting hot dog cart in N.carolia

hi i am thinking of starting a small mobile hot dog cart for weekend events, ball games, and flea markets and i was wondering if i could get just a little light on getting started like what licenses or permits i would need and rules and guidelines my cart would need to obtain.
                                                                                                                                         thank you for any information. 

6 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18948
    Re:guidelines, rules,license and permits for starting hot dog cart in N.carolia 2012/02/05 14:53:54 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood. You might want to post your request in the Professional Hot Dog Vendors section.
    mook8809
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:guidelines, rules,license and permits for starting hot dog cart in N.carolia 2012/02/05 16:09:18 (permalink)
    ok thanks for the info i will do that
    RJT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    Re:guidelines, rules,license and permits for starting hot dog cart in N.carolia 2012/02/05 16:59:43 (permalink)
    Welcome to RF!!

First thing is to talk to your health dept in Guilford County and get a list or requirments for the cart.

Second is to seek out a commissary to work out of which is required. This could be a resturant, church, etc anything with a commercial and health dept. inspected kitchen. Also could be a commissary specific for carts that charge a monthly fee.

Third, look at buying a cart. ALWAYS send the health dept pics, drawings, etc about the cart you are considering to make sure they will approve it. One requirment in NC is a sneeze guard which can be added to any cart.

Fourth, fees can vary but my health dept charges $75 a year for a permit, NC charges $75.00 for a "food and lodging" permit a year. Commisary cost can range from free to $175 and up a month rent. Carts can be had for around $1000 and up.

Fifth, is making sure about locations to setup and making sure you have a general business plan.

That pretty much sums it up. I cant stress enough about making sure you talk with your health dept. before buying anytthing. If not you may buy things you cant use including a cart.

Hope this helps and good luck!!
    post edited by RJT - 2012/02/07 22:55:04
    RJT
    Cheeseburger
    Re:guidelines, rules,license and permits for starting hot dog cart in N.carolia 2012/02/06 19:02:21 (permalink)
    Decide not to get in the hot dog business???
    dct1267
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:guidelines, rules,license and permits for starting hot dog cart in N.carolia 2012/03/01 04:00:33 (permalink)
    RJT
    I'm thinking about setting up in Greensboro, so I appreciate the information.  Do you have any idea if NC HD's accept DIY carts like EZ cart?  I've heard the hangup is the data plate but was wondering if you had any insights on the subject?  The main reason for wanting to build a cart are the size requirements are pretty tight in Greensboro but my research tells me they are that way in W-S as well.  What kind of cart do you have? Thanks, Dave
    RJT
    Cheeseburger
    Re:guidelines, rules,license and permits for starting hot dog cart in N.carolia 2012/03/02 04:15:29 (permalink)
    dct1267

RJT
    I'm thinking about setting up in Greensboro, so I appreciate the information.  Do you have any idea if NC HD's accept DIY carts like EZ cart?  I've heard the hangup is the data plate but was wondering if you had any insights on the subject?  The main reason for wanting to build a cart are the size requirements are pretty tight in Greensboro but my research tells me they are that way in W-S as well.  What kind of cart do you have? Thanks, Dave

First thing is to talk to your health dept in Guilford County and get a list or requirments for a cart. Also call Raleigh just to make sure the local HD is telling you straight.  

I have a All American....

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1