halloween---scariest movie you have seen

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/28 21:22:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

You know what is scary? that i havent been on here in a long long time! and i miss everyone. (that is if anyone remembers me at all) but the scariest movie when i was a child was "amityville horror" never looked at pigs the same and in my adulthood? i would have to say any movie by micheal moore.
I remember you! Welcome back, Sushi Girl and please don't be a stranger.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/29 21:04:03 (permalink)
Seeing as how I don't go to the movies anymore there is little chance of being scared out of my wits------------the telly just isn't the same. The scariest event of this sort was actually created by a radio show. My brother and I were sitting engrossed, listening to Inner Sanctum, actually facing the radio and not moving a muscle----------and in a darkened house the radio program entered into the imaginations of two young kids 12 & 10. My mother came into the room from behind us, and seeing that we were so rapt and intent, went and got a sheet and put it over herself and sneaked up on us and tapped us on the shoulders. We went right up through the ceiling. That was a long time ago but I still remember it well.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/30 08:34:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Seeing as how I don't go to the movies anymore there is little chance of being scared out of my wits------------the telly just isn't the same. The scariest event of this sort was actually created by a radio show. My brother and I were sitting engrossed, listening to Inner Sanctum, actually facing the radio and not moving a muscle----------and in a darkened house the radio program entered into the imaginations of two young kids 12 & 10. My mother came into the room from behind us, and seeing that we were so rapt and intent, went and got a sheet and put it over herself and sneaked up on us and tapped us on the shoulders. We went right up through the ceiling. That was a long time ago but I still remember it well.

Your mom had quite the sense of humor! I remember what was a typical scene at our home as my sibs and I watched the 'Twilight Zone' episode where Wm. Shatner saw that creature on the airplane wing:
Kids: "AAAAAAAHHH!!!"
Mom: "That's it; I'm turning it off!"
Kids: "NOOOOOOOO!!!"
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/11/14 10:50:53 (permalink)
Rosemary's Baby is one that I definitely have trouble getting all the way through. It just exudes creepiness. It's one of my favorite movies ever.

My wife was watching Sixth Sense on TV the other night and I had to leave the room (even though I'd seen it before). It's a good one.

And despite having seen Stanley Kubrick's The Shining hundreds of times, I still can't watch it alone at night (I have the DVD). Jack Nicholson is so funny in that one. It's hard to take him seriously when you see that crazed look on his face.
octopus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/11/15 16:18:17 (permalink)
Gigli or perhaps Daredevil.
linus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/11/15 19:45:27 (permalink)
good grief have none of you seen the ring, or the ring two?
that "thing" coming out of the TV in the first movie freaked me for years.
In the Ring, Two, the way she crawls out of that well???(Shudder, shudder shudder)
And Blair Witch Project. Sorry, when they found that stuff hanging in the woods and the compass no longer worked?
And the last scenes. I'm STILL scared of my basement!
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/11/16 18:57:01 (permalink)
Lots of good movies have been mentioned; "Night of the Living Dead" (the George Romero original) is still one of my favorites ("Dawn of the Dead" is pretty good, too).

Back in the '80s some friends and I got together with some beer and bad movies, one of which was a 1972 B-flick called "Blood Sucking Freaks". It was supposed to be scary but when the midget with the frizzy hair and goatee appeared on the screen we started referring to him as "Artis Gilmore's head" and basically just laughed ourselves silly for the rest of the movie.

But nothing induces terror like opening credits reading "...and starring Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen".

Brad (thankfully unrelated) O.
unalaskawoman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/12/01 22:45:35 (permalink)
I remember being frightened as a child by "Who Slew Auntie Roo?"

As an adult, the creepiest films I've seen in recent years have been "The Grudge" and "The Others." There is a Japanese film called "The Audition" which is supposed to be very creepy, but I haven't been able to rent it anywhere locally.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/01 14:06:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tkitna

I actually found the movie I was talking about. Its called 'Fiend Without A Face'.

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/fiendface/

"Fiend Without A Face" is maybe my favorite B-movie. The premise is so ridiculous yet the special effects and the music are surprisingly effective.

My scariest movie is a Japanese film called "Audition". It's a very slow moving film. For the first hour, you wonder "is anything ever going to happen? Why did my friend recommend this?" and then, something very bizarre happens, the movie takes a sharp turn into horror, the last twenty minutes are agonizing to watch. It's awesome. If you see it in a video store, do what my friend told me to do, don't read the back of the box, just pick it up and check out. You won't be disappointed, and it's best to go into the movie without knowing a thing about it.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/01 14:18:08 (permalink)
unlike the rest of America, I missed the hype that lead up to The Blair Witch Project.

I was preparing for my wedding all Spring. When the movie came out, I was completely focused on our wedding. Then we went on our honeymoon. Then vacationed with friends and family after that. So, needless to say, by the time we re-entered the world of entertainment news (or any news for that matter) we had missed the whole Blair Witch craze. So, after some debating. We went to a small theatre and went into this movie with no knowledge of anything, except, that is was some sort of spooky documentary.

By the end, I realized it was not really a documentary, and I wasn't necessarily scared during the movie. But for the next week and maybe even two weeks after viewing the movie, I distinctly remember being freaked out whenever I was in the dark. It stuck with me.

I know it sounds lame, but that's because most people were living on earth during the promotion of the movie, as opposed to me, who was living somewhere between the edge of the atmosphere and cloud 9.

Pet Sematary scared me too. Yet another reason I just can't stand cats.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4177
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/01 14:43:36 (permalink)
While it may not have been overall the scariest movie I've ever seen, "Dr. Sardonicus" had the single scariest moment I've ever experienced in a movie. The director, editor and soundtrack masterfully built the suspense as the doctor digs up the body and opens the coffin to flash edit reveal that hideous, twisted rigor mortis smile on the corpse's face. I was a 13 year old boy, all alone at home one Saturday night when WGN showed this flick on their Creature Features series. Had me spooked for weeks, the image is still burned into my brain.

Good times.

Buddy
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/09 05:26:44 (permalink)
"The Audition".From Japan with English text.Creepiest thing i've ever seen.Blockbuster has it.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/09 08:55:38 (permalink)
Speaking of.... Even though they didnt concentrate on "scary movies", it just reminded me, of how much I miss Mystery Science Theatre".. I mean with the little robots narrating all thru the movie? It was just too funny....
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 283
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/09 14:13:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

"The Audition".From Japan with English text.Creepiest thing i've ever seen.Blockbuster has it.

Thanks for the tip on "Audition".
Try "Extremes . . . Three" by the same director. The Japanese really know how to do good psychological stuff!
Also, there's "The Nature of the Beast" with Lance Hendrickson and Eric Gray, and "Identity" (no one is who they seem to be).
I thought both "The Butterfly Effect" and the Americanized "Dark Water" were both very sad (and very good), but not scary.
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/09 14:15:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Speaking of.... Even though they didnt concentrate on "scary movies", it just reminded me, of how much I miss Mystery Science Theatre".. I mean with the little robots narrating all thru the movie? It was just too funny....

Yeah, this and cold leftover pizza from the night before was our Saturday morning ritual breakfast! Mike, if you're out there any where, you & the 'Bots are missed much!
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/09 14:37:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

I wish MST3K ran in syndication somewhere - I have a few tapes and DVDs to tide me over, but have to resort to do-it-yourself 'Misting' with friends at the drive-in, where talking during the movies is not rude behavior.
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/09 15:20:31 (permalink)

I viewed the latest version of "Chainsaw".
Knowing chainsaws as I do they "never" crank right up as in the movie, and they tend to balk when 2-cycle oil and fuel is not correctly combined. They also tend to run out of fuel. Of course the chainsaw in question was warmed up. No choke needed.
However the idea of "ANYONE" chasing me with a chain saw makes my blood run cold. Strange how you can run with the damn thing, but the chain running part is another story......I still often dream of it.

Copper
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/10 10:03:13 (permalink)
In no particular order, I would have to say The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Nightmare On Elm Street, The Entity, The Exorcist, and Halloween. It's hard to pick just one but all of those scared the hell out of moi. " />

Andrea
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/10 10:19:32 (permalink)
I prefer the psychological horror stuff over the gory stuff. Being freaked out is a lot more of a lasting effect than seeing someone lose their head.

Then there's those movies which do both, like Exorcist and Amityville Horror. Truely classics!

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/10 15:10:13 (permalink)
ScoreReader, did you ever do the bit with the Exorcist and your VCR? Pre-DVD days, of course? Where you could advance frame by frame and find the death's heads that were imbedded in there? I blew away my friends with that one....
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/14 00:53:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

I prefer the psychological horror stuff over the gory stuff. Being freaked out is a lot more of a lasting effect than seeing someone lose their head.

Then there's those movies which do both, like Exorcist and Amityville Horror. Truely classics!

Same here, Scorereader! Have you seen "Ravenous"? Talk about food-related!
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/14 00:59:14 (permalink)
Oh, yeah, and nobody's mentioned "Session 9". For sheer creepout value this one can't be beat. It was actually filmed in an abandoned asylum. There's also a little gem called "Urbania" that's fairly decent. And "The Changeling", one of the best ghost stories ever told.
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2006/03/21 14:36:16 (permalink)
Watched "A History of Violence" last night. Scary how fast that family disentegrated, individually and as a group. The only one who seemed able to maintain any equilibrium at all was the little girl.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1