halloween---scariest movie you have seen

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2005/10/25 18:34:49 (permalink)

halloween---scariest movie you have seen

In the 50's my wife and I, along with another couple, saw the scariest movie we have ever seen, and we talked about it and it's co-feature for years. Still do once in a while. They don't make 'em like they used to---the scary movie is "Diabolique" made in France with English sub-titles. The women jumped out of there seats screaming and I think my buddy fainted. The other feature "Wages of Fear" was as suspenseful a movie as you can imagine. Both for the price of $1 per person. What a deal!!!!!!!!---good thing we had eaten before, because we were too shook up to eat afterward.

52 Replies Related Threads

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/25 20:15:53 (permalink)
    My brother and I saw a movie in 1939 that kept us awake all night---afraid to go to sleep. Years later I saw it in TV. I could not believe a 12 year old boy could be frightened by "The Cat and the Canary", Bob Hope's first big hit----a comedy more than a thriller.
    It is funny how kid's of today are so used to monsters, and wierd-o's of all sorts. Well----- have a lovely Halloween, if you are looking for me I will be under the bed.
    Kaileen
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/25 20:36:48 (permalink)
    I'm weird. I've never found a movie that really scared me. My dreams are much, much worse: especially recently.

But I do remember going to the drive-in as a teenager and watching a quartet of movies that had my companions scared out of their minds: Nightmare on Elm Street, parts 1 and 2: Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Night of the Living Dead. The last two especially were classics. I enjoyed every second. Then we stayed up for Easter sunrise service that morning. Yup, the drive-in decided to show all four of these the Saturday before Easter Sunday morning.

Now that I'm a mommy, I definitely don't think, "Eww! Gross!" I think, "Oh, my. I do hope that carpet is Scotchguarded..."

(edited to fix stupid typos... fingers not working error)
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/25 20:47:03 (permalink)
    The Beast With Five Fingers was the first picture that scared me. Must have been around 5.

Night of the Living Dead and Hellraiser got to me years later.
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/25 21:50:04 (permalink)
    "Them" (1954), about giant mutant ants. Drawing from my 8-year-old memory, it is my frame of reference whenever judging Scary.

Ooh, they were big. And they were determined to take over the world. Who knew they would eventually mutate into people and go into politics?
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/25 21:52:31 (permalink)
    In the fifties, when they were showing the "30's and "40's Universal Studios horror movies on THE LATE SHOW, they certainly should have had some "Parental Guidance Suggested"!

The Werewolf of London, Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, all left me wide awake all night. For some reason, the scariest for me was Invasion of the Body Snatchers...excluding of course the first theatrical scare..The Wizard of Oz!
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 862
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/25 22:16:41 (permalink)
    I sure remember 'The Tingler' scaring the chicken soup out of me. That's right - frightened by a two-foot long rubber centipede. Maybe it was the memory of smaller versions at our grandpa's log cabin in south Georgia.
    trudyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 01:06:27 (permalink)
    Repulsion by Roman Polanski.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 02:02:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

"Them" (1954), about giant mutant ants. Drawing from my 8-year-old memory, it is my frame of reference whenever judging Scary.

How could I forget that one? And during the commercials, Ralph Williams and his dog Storm would hawk cars for Ralp Williams Ford in Encino. TRiangle, TR on your dial, 32180
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 02:28:20 (permalink)
    The original "The Haunting" still gets me...especially the scene where an unseen force is banging on all the doors, up and down the hallway as everyone cowers in their rooms. Finally Eleanor snaps, and runs to pound on the door, screaming, "Go away! Go away!!!" Suddenly there is silence. She clamps a hand over her mouth, "What have I done? It was looking for the room with someone inside!"

The only two movies that have ever made me scream out loud: "Silence of the lambs" and "The Ring".

Two movies that inexplicably scared the heck out of me as a little kid: "Picture Mommy Dead" and "Let's Scare Jessica to Death". We used to have a late night host named "Seymour", a la Elvira or Dr Tongue. I still remember the thrill of meeting him at a car show.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 10:01:36 (permalink)
    "The Birds" scared the bejeebers out of me. I'm still very wary when I see even a small group of crows flying around and my wife and son love to tease me about it.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 11:01:54 (permalink)
    I cant remember the name if this flick--but without a doubt the scariest film i ever saw was the "True story"of two "white hunters" in Africa that tracked down a pair of mankilling lions!! It was absolutly horrifying! Anyone remember the name???
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 11:35:53 (permalink)
    Tiki. I think it was "Ghost and the Darkness "with Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer. Curiously, the lions in the film is about are stuffed and on display in the Field Museum in Chicago.
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 11:42:40 (permalink)
    Dudley Do-Right with my son a few years ago. Horrifyingly boring and terrifyingly stupid. Kept me out of the theater for a year.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 11:59:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

Tiki. I think it was "Ghost and the Darkness "with Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer. Curiously, the lions in the film is about are stuffed and on display in the Field Museum in Chicago.

THATS IT!!! Scared the bejeezus out me!!! Great flick!
    mammascookin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 12:50:05 (permalink)
    When I was a younger version of myself I remember watching "IT", a movie about clowns that were possessed and went around killing people. That did it for me...I wanted nothing to do with clowns after that.

A few years ago I watched the movie "13 Ghosts" and the first time around it scared me, the second time around it was more of an adrenaline rush that came over me since I knew all the scary parts.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 15:06:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

"The Birds" scared the bejeebers out of me. I'm still very wary when I see even a small group of crows flying around and my wife and son love to tease me about it.

CAW! CAW! CAW!

The movie that shook me to the marrow of my bones was one starring Jessica Lang (gorgeous woman and fabulous actress). The movie was based on the life of Francis Farmer who I "think" was a popular actress in the thirties, perhaps?

Anyhoo in the flick, Francis's mother has her (Jessica Lang) committed several times to a nuthouse. Although she was extremely creative, gifted and high-strung, she was no kook. The Psych Ward was no place to be in those days either.....the things that were done to her still make me shudder.

The scene where they roll her into a room full of medical students to perform a Frontal Lobotomy on her with an icepick and what looked like a carpenter's hammer was one I will never forget. You saw the doctor put the icepick to her eye, raise up the hammer and swing.........then the whole screen goes black.............I 'bout puked!

Then you see her years later, a stumbling empty husk of the passionate, vibrant woman she once was. I WAS HORRIFIED!

To this day, the old saying.....

"I'd rather have a Bottle in Front of me,
    Than a Frontal Lobotomy."

......has extra-special meaning.

Happy Haunting,
    Copper

PS Kaileen Its strange you mentioned "dreams of lately" as I was discussing mine with a close friend and then again with my daughter. If you care to dicuss this type of thing......email. If you decide not too, that's cool and I unnerstan. I have lost more friends due to "dream discussions" than I have ever made. You either unnerstan this or you don't. BTW, I absolutely adore your name and how it is pronounced......Copper
    BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 16:17:29 (permalink)
    When I was very young, about eight, “The Uninvited” terrified me. I think I spent most of the movie time with my head buried in my coat. Today it is one of my favorite films. I have a copy and watch it periodically.

I’d have to say that my personal fright award goes to “Psycho.” The first time I saw it in, 1960, it truly got to me. I can remember slowly climbing the stairs, late that summer night, to my third floor room in a darkened old house that was not too unlike the Bates Manor. I knew it couldn’t happen, but I half expect an old knife-wielding woman to charge out of one of its many doorways.

the ancient mariner mentioned “The Cat and the Canary”. That is one film that I really want to see. Hope and Gaddard were so good in “Ghost Breakers” a year later.
    Sadly, copies are not available in the USA or Canada.

Bill

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 18:27:03 (permalink)
    Hey Brooklyn Bill I could be you and you could be me. I was born in a Brooklyn hospital and my folks moved to Brooklyn for 4 years where I started grammsr school. And my name is Bill also, so we are both Brooklyn Bills.
    Sorry I can't help you with the Cat and the Canary, but it was Hopes first hit. Goddard later married Leo Durocher the manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers to make things even more Brooklynese.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 19:30:40 (permalink)
    when i was younger i saw 'when a stranger calls' that scared me then.. but as an adult i'd have to say the movie that scared me would have to have been the exorcist/ poltergiest (the first one) / and the birds.. pshych was pretty scary too.. OH and there was 'house on haunted hill'... guess if i take time i'll come up with a few more...
    that's all i've got on short notice...
    good topic-- timely too:)
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 19:31:54 (permalink)
    When I was a kid I watched the original version of the movie "The Bad Seed." It was about an innocent-looking little girl who was actually an amoral psycho. If somebody had something she wanted, she would kill them to get it. Her mother found out, and the little girl managed to kill her too. I had never heard of a sociopath, and was both scared and fascinated by the story.
    BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/26 21:27:19 (permalink)
    Hey, ancient mariner (Bill) I too was born in the Brooklyn Hospital. I lived in Brooklyn for over 20 years. If it means anything (mariner) I was in the Navy.
    I didn't know that Leo the Lip was also married to Goddard.
    Good to hear from you.

Bill
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/27 05:45:01 (permalink)
    I remember watching an older black and white movie that had these brains walking around by pushing themselves with the spinal chord part and they would jump at you and wrap the chord around the neck and strangle you that way. I forget the name, but it messed with me when I was little.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/27 05:55:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by skylar0ne

When I was a kid I watched the original version of the movie "The Bad Seed." It was about an innocent-looking little girl who was actually an amoral psycho. If somebody had something she wanted, she would kill them to get it. Her mother found out, and the little girl managed to kill her too. I had never heard of a sociopath, and was both scared and fascinated by the story.

Definitely one of the greatest movies ever made, and with almost as many great quotable lines as "Valley of the Dolls". Whenever someone comes out with something overly fancy, I still can't resist drawling, "Ain't we swank." and whenever my friend thought people were getting out of control, she would lapse into, "So I hit him with my shoe! And he still wouldn't give it to me! So I hit him again, Mother! I hit him with my shoe!!"

The scene where Rhoda is playing the piano as Leroy burns is as intense as any gorefest could be. Also a great surprise ending. And if you wait until after the credits, she finally gets a spanking, which is priceless!
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/27 05:58:07 (permalink)
    I actually found the movie I was talking about. Its called 'Fiend Without A Face'.

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/fiendface/
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/27 20:19:05 (permalink)
    The "Excorist" (sp?) TERRIFIED me , I did not sleep in my bed for that entire summer, I slept on the couch with the light and tv on for 2 months! My mother still talks about this! To this day I cannot watch any scary movie, although I liked the "Sixth Sense" it was not scary or that Steven King movie with Sissy Spacek.
    The funny thing is I like scary books, Dean Koontz, Steven King, etc...

I kinda remember "The Blob" on tv being alittle scary
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/28 11:56:33 (permalink)
    I have to say, walking into the kitchen in the dark, very late at night, I have occasionally pictured that beaten wife ghost from Sixth Sense at the fridge and gotten creeped out.
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/28 13:23:03 (permalink)
    You know what is scary? that i havent been on here in a long long time! and i miss everyone. (that is if anyone remembers me at all) but the scariest movie when i was a child was "amityville horror" never looked at pigs the same and in my adulthood? i would have to say any movie by micheal moore.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 862
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/28 20:10:20 (permalink)
    The AMC channel has been running scary movies all this week - among the usual suspects from the last 30 years they've included some obscure older numbers...I was really taken with 'The Flesh and the Fiends' from Britain ca 1959. What made it disturbing was its being fact-based, telling the story of Burke and Hare, two Edinburgh lowlifes who supplied medical school teacher Dr. Knox with dug-up cadavers...they soon found it more lucrative to hurry along the deaths of their cargo. Great-looking movie, showing the low-rung part of the city as a dark, tawdry, dangerous place - being black and white adds to the atmosphere.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: halloween---scariest movie you have seen 2005/10/28 20:53:03 (permalink)
    I've always had the willies since I viewed

I somewhat get an idea of things to come...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1