hamburgers across kansas

Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
2003/09/13 10:03:01 (permalink)

hamburgers across kansas

This may cement Kansas' reputation for gently wacky guys and gals. 105 counties., Whew.

http://www.explorekansas.org/burgerbill.html
http://www.seabrooktavern.com/goering.htm
http://www.seabrooktavern.com/hamburger_tour.htm
The same Seabrook tavern that makes bierrocks

6 Replies Related Threads

ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: hamburgers across kansas 2003/09/13 14:21:30 (permalink)
    Just remember that Kansas is birthplace of White Castle...and I just HAPPEN to be writing this wearing one of my Cozy Inn [of Salina]shirts. The Cozy Inn burgers [it was founded very shortly after WC] are the same size,but are much less..um...slimy...than WC. And yes, Kansas is home to some interesting characters,which is why it has always been more interesting than say...Nebraska...LOL
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: hamburgers across kansas 2003/09/13 14:24:36 (permalink)
    Also,that had to be a real challenge to find burgers in some of the more desolate counties there in Kansas-some of them barely have county seat,much less towns big enough to support a restaurant...
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: hamburgers across kansas 2004/08/11 10:51:13 (permalink)
    I first learned of the fascinating (although weird) trip of Burger Bill in the University of Kansas Alumni Magazine, which my wife receives. She doesn't often show me articles and suggest that I read them, but this time she did. Has anyone ever done this in any other state? With any other food? Here in Georgia it might be better done with barbecue or fried chicken.

My wife was born in Salina and has eaten many, many hamburgers at the Cozy Inn. She seems to rank the Cozy Inn considerably higher than White Castle or Krystals. This time, I agree with her.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: hamburgers across kansas 2004/08/11 11:52:54 (permalink)
    Hey Milt, I'd forgotten all about that guy. I wonder if he kept a topping list or always ordered the same thing.
    People don't seem as prone to wackiness here in Oregon. Maybe I'll try to do this hamburger tour out here. It would be quite a bit easier in number,(37 counties), but really far in distance.
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: hamburgers across kansas 2004/08/11 18:00:34 (permalink)
    When I lived in Kansas, you could get consistently above average burgers at almost any bar in Lawrence. The burgers usually did not come with a lot of exotic condiments but the meat was usually first rate. I first read abourt burger billy in the Lawrence journal. I think it was about a month or so ago. There is so much space in Kansas
    that it sort of gave me the feeling of wandering the desert for an Oasis (western Kansas). The little town of Wellsville has a place called Smokey's where the burgers are this side of Heaven. Kansas is usually blistering HOT in the summer and pretty Cold in the winter, so a burger makes sense in both seasons.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: hamburgers across kansas 2004/08/11 21:54:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

105 counties., Whew.

At least this wasn't as bad as if he had lived in Texas (254 counties) or even the one with second-most counties, (surprisingly) Georgia, with 159!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1