hardees controversy

Author
princechaz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/04/07 11:25:02 (permalink)

hardees controversy

I know a regional marketing manager for a hardees multi-franchise owner. She bragged to me that the "thickburgers" were charbroilled. But with further research, (asking a hardees grunt employee) their burgers are pre-cooked, the grill marks are pre-applied, and the burgers go through some little fire-tunnel thingy that just heats them up. So my question to you food experts is.... How are Hardees burgers really cooked, from raw that is?? I have visited a con-agra meat processing plant, where i saw burger patties being stamped out of a machine called a formax. they went down a conveyor belt to another which lead them through a long deep fry tunnel. Upon exit of the tunnel the patties traveled through a striping machine where carmel coloring was applied on one side in "grill mark" stripes. Then my sad little deep fried patty went into a deep freeze (spiral) on it's little conveyor. Please tell me that Hardees doesn't do this. My marketing manager acquaintance became quite angry and refused to give me a straight answer.

11 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: hardees controversy 2005/04/07 12:04:17 (permalink)
    I don't know how they are cooked, but during a recent express run from Colorado to NC, where there was no time for roadfooding...I had one of those Thickburgers in TN...it was about the best tasting fast food burger I ever had. Whatever they are doing to it, others should take note.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: hardees controversy 2005/04/07 12:16:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by princechaz

I know a regional marketing manager for a hardees multi-franchise owner. She bragged to me that the "thickburgers" were charbroilled. But with further research, (asking a hardees grunt employee) their burgers are pre-cooked, the grill marks are pre-applied, and the burgers go through some little fire-tunnel thingy that just heats them up. So my question to you food experts is.... How are Hardees burgers really cooked, from raw that is?? I have visited a con-agra meat processing plant, where i saw burger patties being stamped out of a machine called a formax. they went down a conveyor belt to another which lead them through a long deep fry tunnel. Upon exit of the tunnel the patties traveled through a striping machine where carmel coloring was applied on one side in "grill mark" stripes. Then my sad little deep fried patty went into a deep freeze (spiral) on it's little conveyor. Please tell me that Hardees doesn't do this. My marketing manager acquaintance became quite angry and refused to give me a straight answer.

Yep. They do. The "charco-broiled" flavor is fake, also.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: hardees controversy 2005/04/07 12:36:33 (permalink)
    So what the contraversy?---Jeez--its a FAST FOOD FRANCHISE--what did you REALLY expect? ANY bottom line oriented coorporate food service company will do ANYTHING to maintain the "Bottom line"--thats the nature of the beast. That is why, if you really want a GRILLED burger made with quality meat--you have two choices--do it yourself---or eat at a LOCAL burger joint!
    phatues
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: hardees controversy 2005/04/07 17:35:57 (permalink)
    you tell 'em tiki
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: hardees controversy 2005/04/07 18:36:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

I don't know how they are cooked, but during a recent express run from Colorado to NC, where there was no time for roadfooding...I had one of those Thickburgers in TN...it was about the best tasting fast food burger I ever had. Whatever they are doing to it, others should take note.
    AMEN!! although I agree with Tiki I have to say this is the best FF burger around regardless of how its actually made. My only complaint is, it's not roadfood in my sense, no way you can drive and eat this monster..
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: hardees controversy 2005/04/07 18:42:52 (permalink)
    Unless the meat is laced with arsenic, or made out of something other than USDA inspected real ground beef, I don' much care how they cook it. My experiences have been much the same as Tony Bad's. In other words it's a pretty damn good FAST FOOD burger--way better than what Hardee's used to sell before they were bought out by the CKE folks from California, and certainly better than most other ff burgers out there today (except of course for In N Out)

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: hardees controversy 2005/04/07 18:45:08 (permalink)
    OK. It's time again for:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=557
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: hardees controversy 2005/04/09 14:10:24 (permalink)
    Come to my back yard, Ill make ya a real burger.
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: hardees controversy 2005/04/09 14:13:16 (permalink)
    I think chains like steak and shake make good burgers.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: hardees controversy 2005/04/09 16:48:05 (permalink)
    We know. I think chains like Steak and Shakes make good money! Pretty mediocre food--but good money!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: hardees controversy 2005/04/09 17:01:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

OK. It's time again for:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=557

No offense intended, but I don't care. At various times I have been warned "If you ever saw how they made ______________ you'd never eat it!" The blank has been filled in by things such as cheese, tuna, various cold cuts, hot dogs, chopped beef, hamburgers, chicken, and numerous others. I used to drive limos and often had an opportunity to grab a bite in the back rooms or kitchens of some of the "best" restaurants in Boston, DC, and NY and have seen things that would turn many off from EVER eating out again. I have also had meals at roadside places that would have been in major trouble if the health inspector ever showed up! I have decided that if they can make it taste good, I don't care how they do it.

They say that we avoid dirt too much these days, and it is resulting in decreases in the strength of our immune system. I am doing my best to develop my immune system!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1