headed north from Florida

Author
north bound
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2003/11/09 13:29:09 (permalink)

headed north from Florida

Hi!

I'll be headed north on 95 going from Florida to Mass. Always looking for good food. Any suggestions for our road trip? Please let me know
Thanks,
North Bound

17 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7921
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/09 16:17:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by north bound

Hi!

I'll be headed north on 95 going from Florida to Mass. Always looking for good food. Any suggestions for our road trip? Please let me know
    Thanks,
    North Bound

Where would you plan on stopping?
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/09 17:42:00 (permalink)
    If you are going to be driving through SC on a Friday or Saturday, I would definitely recommend stopping at Sweatman's BBQ in Holly Hill. It is maybe a 1/2 hour off the road but is truly one of the old style pig-pickin type of restaurants. They are only open on Fridays and Saturdays. They cook nothing but whole hogs.

This would be my recomendation.

John
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/09 19:44:21 (permalink)
    Northbound: If it's about lunchtime when you get to Georgia get off on the Pooler exit (Savannah airport) about 1/2 mile into Pooler is Don's Famous BBQ - a very good pig sandwich - Lexington style.
    It's a small place in what looks to be an old Dairy Queen - the folks are friendly and the service is prompt.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/09 19:54:19 (permalink)
    Also want to suggest you get off I-95 above Richmond and get onto
    US 301 which takes you up thru Virginia and Maryland thru some towns with great BBQ, oysters, and crab. Search around in some of our forums and you'll find mention of a lot of places along 301 and 50 on up into Wilmington DE that are worth a visit. 301 in much of that area is lighlt traffic and you can make as good time as you would fighting the 24/7 bumper to bumper cars and trucks around the Washington/ Baltimore area on I-95.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/09 22:52:34 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Do not forget what is arguably the farthest northern outpost of real, edible Southern barbecue - King's Bar-B-Q in Petersburg, Virginia. It's on U. S. 460 (I believe it is, I'm bereft of map at the moment) Business Route just south of town.
    That place was Hog Heaven to me going to and coming from Richmond some years ago, and last time through (2 years ago), it was still there and - according to the several people I asked - just as good as ever.
    Pickin' And Grinnin', Ort. Carlton in Not-Quite-But-Nearly-About Pig-Licious Athens, Georgia.
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/10 07:54:00 (permalink)
    north bound: We travel FL to MA and MA to FL every June and Oct! We go up 95 and then head in to the "80's" in PA! We both HATE 95! But the good news is we know of a place in Ridgeland SC...just off the highway! http://www.angelfire.com/sc/blueheron/ <----This website is for the Blue Heron Nature Trail (which is a very pleasant walk along a boardwalk about 1.5 mi. walk) and the restaurant is right next to it: "Jasper's Porch"! Also right around it are 2-3 good but cheap motels ie Comfort Inn (pet friendly) and I think Days Inn and maybe Red Roof. From Cocoa Beach FL it's a great stopping point! Now we actually haven't been IN Jasper's because we got there on a Sunday afternoon and they're closed!!! But they are open other hours for BLD I just don't know what they are! A friend of ours that does this drive recommended Jasper's and they have great taste LOL! It looks great! And BTW it's the only decent place at that exit! We ended up eating at a Mexican place that was marginal! Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/10 08:02:37 (permalink)
    north bound: in Virginia Beach VA there is "Jewish Mother's" that's not far from 95 http://emporium.turnpike.net/~ntravel/vabeach/mother.htm. We DID go there and it was fantastic! I found it here on this forum! In fact it was one of the first places I found and then went to! Hubby and I were not crazy about VA Beach but this restaurant is great. We actually just drove through VA Beach just to go to this place!Great food and great prices...and a funky place too! Be sure to have some chicken soup! The Reuben is outstanding! Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/10 08:42:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
    Do not forget what is arguably the farthest northern outpost of real, edible Southern barbecue - King's Bar-B-Q in Petersburg, Virginia. It's on U. S. 460 (I believe it is, I'm bereft of map at the moment) Business Route just south of town.
    That place was Hog Heaven to me going to and coming from Richmond some years ago, and last time through (2 years ago), it was still there and - according to the several people I asked - just as good as ever.
    Pickin' And Grinnin', Ort. Carlton in Not-Quite-But-Nearly-About Pig-Licious Athens, Georgia.

Actually, a little further north in Ashland (the northern most suburb of Richmond) is the Smokey Pig, I would vote that place as the northernmost outpost of Southern BBQ.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/10 08:55:13 (permalink)
    If you're hitting the Washington, DC area around lunch or dinner and you've got a taste for some excellent seafood and great value, I recommend a stop at Cameron's Seafood Market in Capitol Heights, Maryland. It's located at 8807 Central Avenue (tel. no. 301-350-7100), which is just off of that portion of I-95 that forms the southeastern half of the Washington, DC beltway (exit 15B). They serve a wide variety of fresh seafood and everything that I have had there has been very good. For those with big appetites or for two more modest appetites to share, the best bet is the Ultimate Seafood Platter. Consisting of a fish fillet, a good crab cake (mostly crab with little binder), scallops and shrimp, it is available either fried (with sides of french fries and cole slaw) or broiled (with sides of rice or potatoes and a vegetable medley). It is a challenge to finish at one sitting and a bargain at around $11. Their fried oysters are also excellent, and they have good steamed, hardshell blue crabs.
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/10 14:52:26 (permalink)
    north bound: I found a couple of more places that we went to on our last trip north (June 2003). We went north VIA Chincoteauge and Assateague and stayed at a B&B (that I could also recommend if you want it?) and yes we saw the wild horses! Beautiful area to explore! In Ocean City MD went to a place called "Crab Alley" (Restaurant,Lounge and Fresh Seafood Mkt.) on Golf Course Rd and Sunset Ave. "...at the head of the harbor in West Ocean City."!We both had a soft shell crab sandwich that was out of this world! My first! It's a bit off the beaten path but worth the hunt! We enjoy exploring on our way north and south so we went to the "Swan and Iris Garden" in Sumter SC. It's about a half hour drive off 95. THIS IS NOT A RESTAURANT!!!!!!! bUT IT'S A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO GO! From there we were directed to a great restaurant in Sumter SC. This is called "Red Bone Alley Reaturant and Bar"! Address is: 1342 Broad St. Sumter SC. 803-905-7750.Thier website is www.rbaonline.com. It's in a strip plaza and the decor is "fun" and the food excellent! Check it out! Happy Eating! KokomoJoe
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/10 15:13:24 (permalink)
    My usual suggestion to anyone going I-95 through North Carolina--go 20 miles East of I-95 to "Wilber's" in Goldsboro for some of the best BBQ you will ever get.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/12 00:15:55 (permalink)
    Sorry you're traveling I95--I'll be doing the same in a cople of weeks. It's the pits.
    You didn't say how far south you are starting from. If you are near New Smyrna Beach,it's really worth a look. It's a little beach town situated between the Atlantic and the Intercoastal.There is an old hotel--The River Inn--renovated and run by friendly folks and a great old restaurant right on the river called JB's Fish Camp. Excellent crabcakes,fried gator,hushpuppies etc. Have a great trip. This is a quiet time through the south.
    fbrink
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/12 15:06:13 (permalink)
    Coming up I-95 get off on Route 100 east in maryland (about 20 minutes south of Baltimore) take that to route 2 north, turn left as if your going towards the shopping mall, but right in front of the mall is Ann's Dari-Creme serving the best foot long hotdogs, milkshakes, and ice-cream for 50 years.

I don't know why no one talks about it on here but its as roadfood as it gets...here's a link http://entertainment.sunspot.net/top/1,1419,p-artslife-searchresults-!PlaceDetail-7561,00.html

It's only about 15 minutes out of your way, don't expect to eat inside as there are only a few stools, most people take it out to their cars and eat there.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/12 16:21:53 (permalink)
    If you want the best two buck barbeque sandwich in the world, get off at the Kenley exit in North Carolina (exit 107). Turn right and go about 1/8 mile. There you will find Moore's Bar B Q......you will love it. The large sweet tea at a little over one dollar is huge. The pulled pork sandwich (with or without slaw) is just delicious. They have other things on the menu and just this year put on a neat addition so that you can sit inside. If you are in a hurry, you can go through their drive-thru.

I really do not mind Route 95 at all. We can always find a good restaurant if we plan our stops ahead.
    north bound
    Junior Burger
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/12 20:46:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Hi!

Thanks,
    North Bound

north bound
    Junior Burger
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/12 20:48:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Hi!

Thanks,
    North Bound

Opps!! I will be driving north on 95 and will stop any place if needed. No big plans just looking for some good and unique places to eat and see.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: headed north from Florida 2003/11/13 07:55:20 (permalink)
    For starters, I second the recommendation for Wilbur's in Goldsboro, NC, it is about 20 miles out of your way, but it's worth the drive for good North Carolina style Q

For good buffet style South Carolina Q, I recommend Duke's in Walterboro SC. You may want to go onto yahoo yellow pages and get their ph# to verify their hours in advance.

For big southern style breakfasts in Richmond VA, check out McCleans on Broad Street, or for great fried chicken try Dabney's, an African American Jazz Supper Club.

For the best crabcakes in Baltimore, try the G & M carryout and restaurant in Linthicum Heights just off 295 (baltimore washington expressway)

If you need to stop in the Philly area, check out Gaetano's in Mt Laurel (a Philly Suburb), New Jersey off 295. They can easily rival those you find in South Philly.

If you decide to get off the NJ Turnpike and take the garden state to the Tappanzee Bridge, then take the Montvale exit and go to the Manhattan Kosher Restaurant in Montvale NJ for good kosher style pastrami and corned beef sandwiches and matzoh ball soup.

Finally if you need to stop in my neck of the woods, Warwick, RI and it's a wednesday or friday then check out Ward's Publyck House and Irish Bar in Warwick or On the Rochs in West Warwick for mouth watering succulent fish n chips
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1