help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling?

Author
greyson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2007/07/12 03:01:21 (permalink)

help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling?

would love to have the very best italian canolie in new york or what anyone considers to be the best or another dessert someone might say is as good as an authentic canolie, sorry about my spelling and punctuation...very late and i am heading for new york in the morning so am in a hurry...have phone that has access to internet so please help me...am little food crazy this is the only reason for my trip....thank you all in advance....greysongray@yahoo.com

25 Replies Related Threads

rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/12 08:34:35 (permalink)
    For cannoli or other great Italian pastries, go to FERRARA'S on Mulberry Street.
    planojim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/12 08:52:24 (permalink)
    Venieros on the LES is wonderful. Corner of 11th and 1st iirc.

jb
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/12 09:05:24 (permalink)
    My favorite place for cannoli is Derobertis, which is on 1st ave, between 10th and 11th. It is just down the block from Veneiros, which as someone already noted, is on 11th, between 1st and 2nd Ave.

Veneiros tried to move a bit upscale a while back, and their products slipped a bit in my opinion. Derobertis looks like it did when I was a kid.

Rocco's, which is on Bleeker Street, between 6th and 7th...closer to 6th...is also pretty good.

Cannoli are like pizzas in NY...everybody has a different place for the "best".
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/12 09:27:17 (permalink)
    Arthur Avenue Bakery, Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. Here (like all good cannoli places) they fill them to order so the shell doesn't get soggy.
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/12 10:04:08 (permalink)
    Lucibellos on Grand Ave. in New Haven, you can go to Pepe's or Sally's while you're in the hood as well.
    Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/12 11:35:08 (permalink)
    In New Jersey the Lyndhurst Bakery at 256 Ridge Road, just before the railroad bridge. (I still love going over that bridge!) Doatsie
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/12 15:46:41 (permalink)
    Hey! I know there are always going to be disagreements about "the bestanything in NY" , but come on, people!
    The Bronx, Jersey and New Haven??
    Why not send him to Milan? Or maybe Moscow?
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/12 16:15:29 (permalink)
    this site IS called ROADFOOD!! so if people have their favs they are gonna go where ever they have to get get a "best of" anything!!
    By the way i know a GREAT cannoli jiont in MILAN!!
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/12 16:28:17 (permalink)
    I also like Veniero's, although I have to say that I have not sampled their cannoli for a few years.

Incidentally, if you are eating one of these delectable pastry items, it is a cannolo, as the word "cannoli" is the plural of cannolo. So, just as people are gramatically incorrect when they say that they want "a panini" (which literally means that you want "a grilled sandwiches", or that they want "a gelati", it is also incorrect to say that one wants a cannoli, as cannoli, panini and gelati are plurals.

Yes, I know that this mistake is made constantly, but that does not make that usage correct. And, of course, the fact that restaurants now call one grilled sandwich "a panini" will only help to solidify this grammatical gaffe into permanence.

Just as I refuse to ask for a "tall" coffee when everyone knows that is actually a small cup of coffee, I also refuse to ask for "a panini". Just because commercial establishments want to use incorrect terminology does not mean that I have to do likewise.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/12 18:34:56 (permalink)
    I live a few blocks from Veneiro's, and I get cannolis from there fairly often. I think they are wonderful, but I do wish they would fill them to order. The turnover is incredible, so I'm sure they never sit too long, but if they filled them to order, they would be a bit crisper.

I still think the best cannolis I've ever had came from Hoboken. Can't remember the name, but it's an old place on the main drag (Washington Street?).
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/12 19:36:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pigiron

I live a few blocks from Veneiro's, and I get cannolis from there fairly often. I think they are wonderful, but I do wish they would fill them to order. The turnover is incredible, so I'm sure they never sit too long, but if they filled them to order, they would be a bit crisper.

Getting there when they are so busy they HAVE to fill them as they are ordered is always a good thing! Have you tried DeRobertis just around the block? I think my issue with Veneiros is that I remember it from years and years ago, when it was a quaint little neighborhood bakery. They then tried to improve the look of the place, and while it is still very good...it just isn't what I remembered.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/18 12:54:30 (permalink)
    Not canolie - ganool!!!!
    Wander
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/18 13:31:57 (permalink)
    /derail Cannoli thread
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tedbear
    Just as I refuse to ask for a "tall" coffee when everyone knows that is actually a small cup of coffee, I also refuse to ask for "a panini". Just because commercial establishments want to use incorrect terminology does not mean that I have to do likewise.

Used to be if you wanted the small coffee at Starbucks it was called a "short", hence the "tall" being medium. Don't know if they still offer them though. Although I do agree, the terminology does bug.

/rerail Cannoli thread
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/18 13:32:54 (permalink)
    We love cannoli, but we have to admit that we've rarely had one that we could call bad. I think the two most impotant things when looking for cannoli are, they should be freshly-filled, as people have already mentioned, and the filling should be ricotta based. Some places use something like pastry cream, which is decidedly inferior as far as we're concerned.

There's a place in South Philly, forget the name, but they make great cannoli, and they fill them when you order them. They ask if you want cheese or cream (I think... something like that). Cheese means ricotta (which isn't cheese, but no matter) and cream means pastry cream, we think. So some people must prefer cannoli without the ricotta.

One other thing - avoid the shells coated in chocolate. While they may serve to keep pre-filled cannoli from getting soggy, it's not really cannoli (our opinion). Little chocolate chips or chopped pistachios on the filling ends, however, are OK. As is a filling dotted with candied fruit or chocolate.

Oh, also... the place practically next door to Pepe's in New Haven makes good cannoli.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/18 13:53:25 (permalink)
    When I grew up, my Italian grandmother made her own cannolis. Mmmmmmm...
    She used sweetened pasta dough, ricotta, chocolate chips, a bit of cinnamon (we hated the candied fruit "citron")powdered sugar and whatever other secret ingredients. What a treat!!
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/18 14:03:01 (permalink)
    Leave the gun....take the cannoli........
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/18 14:09:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

There's a place in South Philly, forget the name, but they make great cannoli, and they fill them when you order them. They ask if you want cheese or cream (I think... something like that). Cheese means ricotta (which isn't cheese, but no matter) and cream means pastry cream, we think. So some people must prefer cannoli without the ricotta.

I had never been asked this question in NY, and wasn't aware of the pastry cream variety. When in Boston one time I was served a cream filled cannoli and was very disappointed! It wasn't bad...it just wasn't a cannoli as far as I was concerned.

The ones I have had that were "bad" were pre-filled ones that had gotten soft and soggy, which is quite un-good!
    brookquarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 280
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/19 07:02:46 (permalink)
    quote:

We love cannoli, but we have to admit that we've rarely had one that we could call bad. I think the two most impotant things when looking for cannoli are, they should be freshly-filled, as people have already mentioned, and the filling should be ricotta based. Some places use something like pastry cream, which is decidedly inferior as far as we're concerned.

One other thing - avoid the shells coated in chocolate. While they may serve to keep pre-filled cannoli from getting soggy, it's not really cannoli (our opinion). Little chocolate chips or chopped pistachios on the filling ends, however, are OK. As is a filling dotted with candied fruit or chocolate.

Oh, also... the place practically next door to Pepe's in New Haven makes good cannoli.

I would guess you are refering to Isgro's, just west of the Italian Market. The canoli's are, indeed really good.
    jajarino68
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/23 07:54:10 (permalink)
    As a young boy, my father brought back canoli's from NY. That was the only time I had ever had them and I always recalled that time. The texture, flavor and the joy. As I went on in years, I sampled other canoli's from other places and never had that same taste until a few years ago. My wife's uncle took me to Mozzicato's in Hartford CT. These were the canoli's I had been searching for. The shells, the filling all were what I remembered from that one time. So whenever I go to CT, I always go to Mozzicato's.
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/23 13:22:19 (permalink)
    brookquarry, yes, Isgro's is the one!
    njkim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/23 13:40:06 (permalink)
    quote:

The name of the place is South Philly is Termini's and they truly are the best cannolis that I have ever had, and I grew up in NY. A friend of mine hired Termini's to do the dessert table at her wedding and they actually stayed to hand pipe the cannolis and each person came up. They tipped him well
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/23 13:44:26 (permalink)
    Yes, Termini is good too, but I prefer Isgro's - that was the place I was thinking of. It's been a while since I've had either, though.
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/24 17:34:02 (permalink)
    You can't go wrong with either Termini or Isgro when you come to Philly. If you like these try this:

every year in May sometine they hold an Italian Market Festival in the heart of SOuth Philly and all the best Bakeries and such line 9th street and sell their goods to the public. This is an unbeliveable eating event. I went through two years ago and challanged myself to eat a cannoli at every stand that offered one. I did, got very dizy, had to sit down but muscled through just the same.

If you are ever going to visit that area of Philly please email me I have tours allready set up for you with directions and all.

Tony
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/07/25 14:03:10 (permalink)
    My favorite in south Philly is Varallo. A few blocks closer to I-95 from Isgro's, the cross street at 10th is Mountain. Huge line at Christmas just like Isgro's and Termini's.

Excellent canolli, cookiws, pastry bread, everything (IMHO)

Thanks,

Kevin

1639 S 10th St
    215-952-0367
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1157
    RE: help me find a wonderful canolie?? spelling? 2007/08/03 10:31:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brookquarry

quote:

I would guess you are refering to Isgro's, just west of the Italian Market. The canoli's are, indeed really good.

brookquarry: How amazing was that place?!?! Gotta go back! http://www.isgropastries.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1