Helpful Replyhorrible meal at P.F. Chang's

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BR
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/25 06:26:25 (permalink)
The PF Changs in Tulsa does seem to be kinda loud inside because the place is very busy. I've never eaten inside however. I always eat on the patio which is not crowded even when every table is taken. It is in an upscale area so the surrounding area is park like. Other menu items may not be that great but I wouldn't know because the Chengdu Spiced Lamb and garlic noodles as an appetizer are the only items I've ever ordered. I guess I'm a creature of habit but that dish is so good I won't order anything else. 
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/26 20:43:15 (permalink)
where are all of these great "road food" chinese places?  most of the millions of "chinese" or "asian" restaurants dotting America serve americanized, sweet, gloppy food that doesn't exist anywhere on the planet other than at restaurants like these.  at least PF Changs offers a bit more in terms of atmosphere (which may be "corporate" i suppose, whatever that means), cocktail, service, and wines lists.  am i missing a bunch of great authentic road food chinese places here in New Jersey?  or anywhere else for that matter?  

or is the bar so low that any chinese-owned chinese take-out place is deemed worthy of a visit and is automatically deemed better than a PF Changs-type restaurant.  i sure hope not.  talk about salt and fat (but I thought fat=flavor?  so confused)
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3723
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/26 21:39:38 (permalink)
I do not know about New Jersey  but we have wonderful non-corporate  Chinese restaurants here  complete with  nice surroundings, a  great bar, and very delicious  food.

I think you have to do a little investigating.  I have never lived in an area where I could not find a great  Chinese restaurant.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/26 21:55:16 (permalink)
tommyeats
Am i missing a bunch of great authentic road food chinese places here in New Jersey?  or anywhere else for that matter?   

Hey, I am not anti-chain, so I am not grinding that ax...but...really? You can't find good Chinese food restaurants (not take out) in sparsely populated North Jersey? I used to hang out in the Clifton area a while back and there was no shortage of such places. 

SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1089
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/27 14:30:15 (permalink)
I too found PF Chang's so-so. I have been twice but will most likely not go back as we have so many other Chinease restaurants with much better food and cheaper prices.

Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/29 08:04:56 (permalink)

If someone considers The Olive Garden to be a good place to go for Italian food, then he/she would probably consider P.F. Chang's to be a source for good Chinese food.

If someone considers Pizza Hut's lard-laden pies to be edible, then he/she would probably consider P.F. Chang's faux Chinese food to be authentic.

If someone thinks that Red Lobster serves fresh fish, rather than frozen fish, then he/she would probably like the food at P.F. Chang's.

It all comes down to one's tolerance for mediocrity as well as one's awareness of what constitutes an authentic rendering of a specific cuisine.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/29 10:46:52 (permalink)
Tedbear

If someone considers The Olive Garden to be a good place to go for Italian food, then he/she would probably consider P.F. Chang's to be a source for good Chinese food.

If someone considers Pizza Hut's lard-laden pies to be edible, then he/she would probably consider P.F. Chang's faux Chinese food to be authentic.

If someone thinks that Red Lobster serves fresh fish, rather than frozen fish, then he/she would probably like the food at P.F. Chang's.

It all comes down to one's tolerance for mediocrity as well as one's awareness of what constitutes an authentic rendering of a specific cuisine.
Mediocrity is what fast food and chain food operations are all about.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/29 18:03:52 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Like any generalization, your statement is untrue because there are exceptions

To start with, there are official reviews online of both fast food operations and chain operations.  In those reviews, the food is not mediocre

Further, there are many unreviewed fast food and/or chain operations that are quite good.  They are few and far between, but they do indeed exist, just as there are bad mom and pop operations all over the country

Bottom line, your statement is (unsuprisingly) wrong

and for the rest?

NYPIzzaNut
King Wok

NYPIzzaNut
King Wok

off topic and off topic. 

post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/08/29 18:08:23
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/29 18:12:14 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

NYPIzzaNut

Like any generalization, your statement is untrue because there are exceptions

To start with, there are official reviews online of both fast food operations and chain operations.  In those reviews, the food is not mediocre

Further, there are many unreviewed fast food and/or chain operations that are quite good.  They are few and far between, but they do indeed exist, just as there are bad mom and pop operations all over the country

Bottom line, your statement is (unsuprisingly) wrong

Are you absolutely sure that these "reviewers" are impartial and unaffiliated with the food establishments about which they are raving?  

It might surprise you to know that the 'net is liberally salted with positive comments posted by shills for various companies, fast food and chain restaurants included.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/29 22:34:30 (permalink)
Tedbear Are you absolutely sure that these "reviewers" are impartial and unaffiliated with the food establishments about which they are raving?

Yeah, I feel pretty safe about that, and maybe given that you are on those very reviewer's website and using their forums, you should be too? 

Dunno, that's your call, but maybe I should introduce you.  Sterns? Ted.  Ted? Sterns.  Everybody shake hands now.  Now Mr Stern, could you tell ol' Ted here all about In-N-Out Burger?  or Original Pancake House? 

TedbearIt might surprise you to know that the 'net is liberally salted with positive comments posted by shills for various companies, fast food and chain restaurants included.

OHMIGOD! Here and I thought that if it was printed on the internet, it had to be true.  Golly, do you think maybe I should not send this cashier's check for 1200 bucks to Nigeria for a 32 million dollar reward that'll come next month?  I was going to buy some shares in a Snipe farm with the 12 c's but the 32M sounded so much better
BR
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/30 10:07:54 (permalink)
I went to PF Chang's again Friday night and the Shengdu Spiced Lamb was excellent as usual. Yep... it was crowded and noisy inside but as usual I had a leisurely dinner on the patio and enjoyed the park like atmosphere... had a bottle of Pinot Noir.... and gave a 32% tip. I had an opportunity to try the VIP Duck and it was very good also.  I'm not saying everything at PFC's is great but the items I order there are very well prepared. Just for the record I don't care for Olive Garden or Pizza Hut. Red Lobster is okay but I only go there for an occasional quick lunch. 
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6265
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/30 17:04:07 (permalink)
I went because the kids wanted to try it...learned our lesson and will never go back...now are we creating a generation (raised on Mickey D's) that doesn't know good food......how come so many people mentioned large crowds around the country at this place??????? WHY???????
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3723
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/30 19:02:06 (permalink)
Many people just love to go  to these crowded  chains because it verifies the kind of food that they have been brought up on.  It is very sad.

Some really wondeful restaurants in our area have closed in recent months.  They served top quality food,. and with wonderful service,  at prices not  much higher than at the box chains.

Another reason might be that  people can be assured of being welcomed in the big chains  even if they are dressed just like they have finished a long day out doing yardwork  or out jogging.   Times have changed.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3749
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/31 00:27:15 (permalink)
Lee, who is this "we" that is "creating a generation (raised on Mickey D's) that doesn't know good food..."?  Didn't you say that you went because your kids wanted to try it?  Perhaps you could have steered them in a different direction?  Otherwise, perhaps it is YOU that is contributing to creating this so-called food-ignorant generation.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/31 07:28:08 (permalink)
When we take them out for a birthday meal, it's their choice...we can suggest. even hint, sometimes beg, but that meal is their choice! We do not frequent Mickey di's...but to be honest we are not afraid to frequent some chains...Waffle House....Cracker Barrel among a few. They're fun once in a while.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/31 08:37:14 (permalink)
leethebard

When we take them out for a birthday meal, it's their choice...we can suggest. even hint, sometimes beg, but that meal is their choice! We do not frequent Mickey di's...but to be honest we are not afraid to frequent some chains...Waffle House....Cracker Barrel among a few. They're fun once in a while.

Hey Lee, I know where you are coming from.  My kids favorite birthday spot was Chi Chi's.  We still have a stack of sombreros in the attic

Kids will be kids.  As they get older they will follow your lead and appreciate real food.   
RC51Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 443
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/08/31 11:04:48 (permalink)
For his birthday, my son got a choice of this, that or the other- not "anywhere you want to go."  The list did not include McD's or any other chain.  He was fine with that and from a young age became an adventurous eater who now as an adult is a great dining companion.  I don't care if he just saved the planet from destruction, if I'm paying and McFood's isn't on the list, we're not going there.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/09/05 13:13:57 (permalink)
We give our kids choice,,,within reason....teenagers,even ,they wouldn't want McD's or such....but an upscale chain choice was ok to try.....it simply wasn't a pleasant experience.....but on their special day,if they want Carrabba's or Outback,or Olive Garden....we'll go....we aren't Roadfood snobs...and I've never been poisoned in any of those places. Other times where to eat is a family decision, but wife and I get to over-rule,if necessary...usually not!!
courtneyt77
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/09/24 19:26:36 (permalink)
agreed it is loud in most pf chang's locations.

i do like the dahli chicken there.  but some of their other dishes are on the bland side.
alwayshungry475
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/10/06 16:52:55 (permalink)
I've had a few "Decent" meals at P.F.Chang's over the years, but i had no idea things were that bad now. 
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/10/06 19:02:58 (permalink)
When I worked for American Cancer Society, the big boss wanted to take us there to treat us. He loved their food & wanted to share a meal there with us. They were new in our area at the time, and it was a nice gesture.

The lettuce wraps were good & the Mongolian Beef was good. Can't remember anything else.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/10/06 20:05:17 (permalink)
Aren't the lettuce wraps considered Vietnamese cuisine?
Ackman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/10/06 23:08:46 (permalink)
Yes, lettuce wraps are Vietnamese.
saps
  • Total Posts : 1560
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/10/06 23:25:03 (permalink)
Tedbear

Good use of logic here.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/10/07 15:06:20 (permalink)
Ackman

Yes, lettuce wraps are Vietnamese.

In researching this subject I believe they may be considered Thai or Laotian or Chinese or Korean or some other Asian cuisines also.

It would depend on their fillings.

saps
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/10/07 15:21:39 (permalink)
PF Changs is decent for what it is- Americanized Chinese.  However, many local Chinese places do it better and then have the authentic stuff as well- pork blood cake, bullfrog, spicy octopus, etc.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of local Chinese places that are quite horrible as well, and then there are some that do certain dishes better than others.  So, for people that are looking for a consistency in the quality and fairly "safe" Chinese, PF Changs isn't a bad choice for them.
RC51Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 443
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/10/08 07:38:43 (permalink)
saps So, for people that are looking for a consistency in the quality and fairly "safe" Chinese, PF Changs isn't a bad choice for them.

Another example of the McWalmarting of food.  Safe, bland, consistent, usually a lot of calories for the dollar, appealing to the largest mass market/lowest common denomintor.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/10/08 09:38:29 (permalink)
Just like TV...
saps
Re:horrible meal at P.F. Chang's 2009/10/08 09:50:37 (permalink)
From  a calorie and salt standpoint, is PF Changs worse than the typical locally owned Chinese restaurant?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1