The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona

mrsinnot

• Total Posts: 2
hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Fri, 02/1/08 6:31 PM (permalink)
Does anyone have info in regards to the startup process for a hotdog cart here in Phoenix, Arizona??

BP

• Total Posts: 6
    RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Sat, 02/2/08 6:54 PM (permalink)
    Where are you thinking of operating it? within City of Phoenix?

BP

• Total Posts: 6
      RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Sat, 02/2/08 7:09 PM (permalink)
      If so, there are a few different permits you can apply for with the City. Street Vending, Mobile Vending (Private Property-properly zoned), or Sidewalk Vending (Auctioned annual leases in Copper square only). Sidewalk Vending in Phoenix is otherwise prohibited.
      The Street Vending license requires a background check and $160. Apply in Spring for a June start as they don't prorate and they only renew in June. The license/permit is very restrictive. You can check all the info on Phoenix.gov business section under licensing section.
      You will need a state business license first (so you can pay sales tax and buy your food tax-exempt). then you will need to apply for a tax license from the City of Phoenix ($50 year) so you can pay sales tax to the City. Then you will need a food managers certification ($100 course fee)(if you are the business owner) This will satisfy Maricopa County requirements for you. Then you will need to have your cart approved and registered by the county. If your cart has never been registered, you will most likely pay a $150 plan review fee. Then the annual tags are $175 which you will receive after you prove to the county that you have a commissary agreement with a licensed kitchen which will cost you roughly $100 a year. I'm not sure about other cities, but at least the county requirements will be the same (within Maricopa County). Don't forget business insurance (liability) and make sure you insure the cart as well.
      Good luck. Feel free to follow up with questions.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
        RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Sun, 02/3/08 1:34 AM (permalink)
        Sounds like you're looking at a $$$grand$$$ before you sell the 1st dog!

mrsinnot

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Mon, 02/4/08 10:30 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by BP

If so, there are a few different permits you can apply for with the City. Street Vending, Mobile Vending (Private Property-properly zoned), or Sidewalk Vending (Auctioned annual leases in Copper square only). Sidewalk Vending in Phoenix is otherwise prohibited.
          The Street Vending license requires a background check and $160. Apply in Spring for a June start as they don't prorate and they only renew in June. The license/permit is very restrictive. You can check all the info on Phoenix.gov business section under licensing section.
          You will need a state business license first (so you can pay sales tax and buy your food tax-exempt). then you will need to apply for a tax license from the City of Phoenix ($50 year) so you can pay sales tax to the City. Then you will need a food managers certification ($100 course fee)(if you are the business owner) This will satisfy Maricopa County requirements for you. Then you will need to have your cart approved and registered by the county. If your cart has never been registered, you will most likely pay a $150 plan review fee. Then the annual tags are $175 which you will receive after you prove to the county that you have a commissary agreement with a licensed kitchen which will cost you roughly $100 a year. I'm not sure about other cities, but at least the county requirements will be the same (within Maricopa County). Don't forget business insurance (liability) and make sure you insure the cart as well.
          Good luck. Feel free to follow up with questions.

First let me thank you for all the info as it is very helpful. Next, what do you mean by "commisary agreement with a licensed kitchen"?

scali71

• Total Posts: 121
            RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Mon, 02/4/08 4:53 PM (permalink)
            Contact your Health Dept. They will have all the info you need

Hot_dog

• Total Posts: 91
              RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Mon, 02/25/08 4:38 PM (permalink)
              You have to have a signed commisary agreement with a licensed kitched before you go to apply for the environmental services permit. They will give you a list of approved commisaries. The commisary is where you take your cart everyday for fresh water (you can only use water from approved water sources) and to have your pans/equipment washed in a approved sanitary environment. I am a newly Licensed and "legal" cart in Phoenix. BP's information is 100% correct. I would like to also add that there is a waiting period up up to 8 weeks before you get your license. Mine came through in a little over 7 weeks. There is also a waiting period of up to 4 weeks if your cart has to go through the Environmental Services Departments plan review or verification of location and bathroom agreement. you can apply for both (Business License and Health Permit) at the same time. Phoenix is tough. But they have guides that explain everything. You can pick these up at the Busines and licensing Division in Phoenix which covers the buiness end of it and the Environmental Services Department has a Guide called Food Peddler that cover the health requirments

kanadolka

• Total Posts: 8
                RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Thu, 07/17/08 2:34 PM (permalink)
                well...grat information here. i live in canada, too cold for me, have a cart here, was in pheonix in may. Fell in love with the city and climate, but i haven't seen a single hot dog cart there. I was staying at the best western north avenu central, they city downtown area looked totally dead. how is business there?. is it worth to relocate? Please give me some advise where to go.
                cheers from kingston
                By the way what about a chip truck permit?.

Foodbme

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Thu, 07/17/08 3:22 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by kanadolka

well...grat information here. i live in canada, too cold for me, have a cart here, was in pheonix in may. Fell in love with the city and climate, but i haven't seen a single hot dog cart there. I was staying at the best western north avenu central, they city downtown area looked totally dead. how is business there?. is it worth to relocate? Please give me some advise where to go.
                  cheers from kingston
                  By the way what about a chip truck permit?.

Read all of the above posts to get your answers. It's all spelled out and expained for you there. The city proper is very restrictive. The Suburbs and County less restrictive. Downtown is an 8AM to 6PM city unless there's a sporting event or concert, etc going on.. Most everyone lives in the outlying cities and commutes. It's changing a little but realitively dead after 6PM. I STRONGLY suggest you come out here and live at least 2 weeks in the Summer to see if you can handle the 100-115 degree heat BEFORE you move out here as well as check out everything for starting a business here. If you were here in May, you saw the area at its best time of the year. Make sure you can handle the worst time as well before you take the financial hit to move here. If you're honest with yourself, you may find out there are more minuses than pluses if you want to be in the mobile food business in AZ.
                  By the way,what is a "Chip Truck"? We don't recognize the term?

kanadolka

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Thu, 07/17/08 3:42 PM (permalink)
                    well, originally i am from sweden, but 5 years ago i moved to canada.
                    i went to phoenix may 31 and stayed until june 13, just to experienced the hot. it doesn,t bother me. i can even imagine then betweeen june and august is like here between november and april...you have the heat and we have the cold. the chip truck is originally a mobile kitchen truck. The truck is my main source of income, the cart is just a hobby.
                    I sell swedish food for students and university stuff, it is very popular and very different from what people a re used to. still i just can't stand the cold here, beside this kingston is a small city and i am used to live in a bi gone - stockholm. I was just curious about the business itself, do you make money there in phoenix downtown? there is this light train construction going on there. i have soooo many questions. maybe i should start posting them one by one, but i just discovered this forum, so there will be more t hear from me for sure. sorry for the misspellings...five years is not that much.

kanadolka

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Thu, 07/17/08 4:00 PM (permalink)
                      by the way foodbme...what minuses do you see? it is very valuable to get insigts from other people, since i have no clue about mobile food vending in arizona and phoenix particularly. what about flagstaff? the climate is closer to what i am used to.

Foodbme

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Thu, 07/17/08 4:01 PM (permalink)
                        quote:

well, originally i am from sweden, but 5 years ago i moved to canada.
                        i went to phoenix may 31 and stayed until june 13, just to experienced the hot. it doesn,t bother me. i can even imagine then betweeen june and august is like here between november and april...you have the heat and we have the cold. the chip truck is originally a mobile kitchen truck. The truck is my main source of income, the cart is just a hobby.
                        I sell swedish food for students and university stuff, it is very popular and very different from what people a re used to. still i just can't stand the cold here, beside this kingston is a small city and i am used to live in a bi gone - stockholm. I was just curious about the business itself, do you make money there in phoenix downtown? there is this light train construction going on there. i have soooo many questions. maybe i should start posting them one by one, but i just discovered this forum, so there will be more t hear from me for sure. sorry for the misspellings...five years is not that much.

YOU'RE NOT GETTING IT! READ EVERYTHING WRITTEN ABOVE CAREFULLY! Doing any kind of Mobile Food Business is VERY TOUGH in AZ! BELIEVE ME---- Being here in MAY & JUNE is NOTHING like being here in JULY, AUG & SEPT. I lived 40+ years in Upstate NY and you can't compare cold climates to hot climates, especially if you've never lived in a REALLY HOT climate. The humidity here in July-Sept is MUCH HIGHER than it is in May-June and coupled with the heat, can be unbearable for someone not used to it. AND IF YOU WORK OUTSIDE in the hot dog or food truck business it's even more exaggerated!!!!!!!!!!!!You may be tired of the cold, but you would be jumping out of the refrigerator into the FRYING PAN--Literally!

kanadolka

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Thu, 07/17/08 4:11 PM (permalink)
                          well...you are scaring me now. but ido not think we understand each other. the thing is...i wasn't thinking of working summertime, just as i can't work here wintertime when the temperature drops below -30C. so...how is the rest of the year in the downtown? there are must be tons of students there, what i would like to do is working 6 month a year there when the students are on the campus. I have a good life here despite the problem that when the students are here it is too cold for me, with exeption of september and october and when the weather is nice the campus is empty and i have to rely on the faculty stuff and random people. tha's why i was asking how is business there for a hot dog cart dusrin the student year..how is the weather between say october and april?

Foodbme

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Thu, 07/17/08 5:54 PM (permalink)
                            quote:

well...you are scaring me now. but ido not think we understand each other. the thing is...i wasn't thinking of working summertime, just as i can't work here wintertime when the temperature drops below -30C. so...how is the rest of the year in the downtown? there are must be tons of students there, what i would like to do is working 6 month a year there when the students are on the campus. I have a good life here despite the problem that when the students are here it is too cold for me, with exeption of september and october and when the weather is nice the campus is empty and i have to rely on the faculty stuff and random people. tha's why i was asking how is business there for a hot dog cart dusrin the student year..how is the weather between say october and april?

YOU'RE STILL NOT GETTING IT! READ EVERYTHING WRITTEN ABOVE CAREFULLY! It is Very, Very Difficult to get a permit to run a Mobile Food Business in DOWNTOWN Phoenix!!!! It operates on a Lottery System with Annual Contracts allocated in a very confined geographic area not anywhere near where the Students are. So forget about doing business in downtown Phoenix!

Tempe, AZ where the main Campus of ASU is located also has very strict regulations where mobile food vendors can operate as well. You can't get near the Campus. Your chances of getting a permit downtown or in Tempe are slim to NONE!

Foodbme

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Thu, 07/17/08 6:01 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

YOU'RE STILL NOT GETTING IT! READ EVERYTHING WRITTEN ABOVE CAREFULLY! It is Very, Very Difficult to get a permit to run a Mobile Food Business in DOWNTOWN Phoenix!!!! It operates on a Lottery System with a very limited number of Annual Contracts allocated in a very confined geographic area not anywhere near where the Students are. You need to be on a waiting list sometimes for years just to get your name in the lottery. So forget about doing business in downtown Phoenix!

Tempe, AZ where the main Campus of ASU is located also has very strict regulations where mobile food vendors can operate as well. You can't get near the Campus. Your chances of getting a permit downtown or in Tempe are slim to NONE! I'm done!

kanadolka

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Thu, 07/17/08 6:21 PM (permalink)
                                sorry but it rather looks like you are not getting what i am asking for. well, i have to contact the city then. everybody told me the same thing as you do about Kingston, would be impassible to get the permit, but when i send them my menu and my website they changed their minds (since i have a commercial kitchen and do a lot of catering) and i got all permits within 6 weeks. then my question was about the weather and the traffic not about your opinion on whether i will get the permit or not. maybe you do not want me there of some reason, but this is actually your problem not mine.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                                  RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Thu, 07/17/08 7:23 PM (permalink)

I welcome you with open arms, fellow Swede! Come on down. Don't let Jim scare you, summers aren't so bad.....that's why God invented Air Conditioning! When you step outside this time of year it will remind you of a Swedish Sauna.

I would do as you suggested and contact the city, but I would also think about Flagstaff if you want to shoot for student business. Northern Arizona University kids and all the "naturalists" in the area would probably embrace your Köttbullar and Pannkakor with Lingonsylt!

Welcome to Roadfood.

Dean

kanadolka

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Fri, 07/18/08 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                    thank you desert dog...i was there in june and it was about 45C and....I loved it...if you check the yahoo weather you will see that in Stockholm humidity is 100% ...awful, during the day is sticky hot and during the night with 11C is damp and cold. I loved the heat in phoenix and I loved the low humidity. I am checking weather everyday right now. You are lucky boys there. Phoenix has a nice growth, looks like not many people get scared of the heat, in fact the opposite is true. Actually i already have an real estate agent involved and he is looking for a nice take out place in the construction zone on copper square
                                    http://www.coppersquare.com/contact/
                                    here is a great site to check the progress. looks like a lot of works being created there and students of course in all those new buildings. going there again in November...maybe you can give me some valuable information. it was a busy day today on the campus for me. I LOVE WORKING WITH STUDENTS...THEY ARE SOOO EASY GOING, AND I HATE SNOBS OF ANY KIND. Talk to you soon. by the way ... i am planning to sell not only kötbullar och pannkakor, but a lot of other good stuff. have you ever been to Sweden? cheers and skååååål it's friday.

BigSlicks

• Total Posts: 235
                                      RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Mon, 09/8/08 3:20 AM (permalink)
                                      I am not sure if you got the answers your loking for. You can email me or reply on the items you need help with.

jimbiddle

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Tue, 02/23/10 9:35 PM (permalink)
                                        hey Foodbme,

I see your in Gilbert, I am in Awatukee. Thinking about buying a cart and starting up. I looked up the phoenix stuff, screw that. What about the surrounding cities? Like yours, Gilbert - Chandler? Mesa?

I am also confused - Talked to a lady from craigslist out in surprise who is selling a cart, she said she never needed any permits, just the health permit....

She believes as long as it not "private" property you can setup.

What if I get permission from a business or landlord to setup, do I need a city permit for that?
                                        Thanks man!

Jim

Foodbme

RE: hot dog cart in Phoenix, Arizona Tue, 02/23/10 11:03 PM (permalink)
                                          jimbiddle

hey Foodbme,

I see your in Gilbert, I am in Awatukee. Thinking about buying a cart and starting up. I looked up the phoenix stuff, screw that. What about the surrounding cities? Like yours, Gilbert - Chandler? Mesa?

I am also confused - Talked to a lady from craigslist out in surprise who is selling a cart, she said she never needed any permits, just the health permit....

She believes as long as it not "private" property you can setup.

What if I get permission from a business or landlord to setup, do I need a city permit for that?\

Thanks man!

Jim

IMHO, the More "Rural" you get, The Better.
                                          Maricopa should be Easy Pickin's. The closer you get to Phoenix proper, the more reguations you will encounter.
                                          The only wayt to be sure is to check with the health depts and the city ordinaince depts.
                                          Since Maricopa is in Pinal County, I would expect the restrictions would be less of a problem. Apache Junction would be easier also.
                                          Gilbert, Chandler, etc Fagetaboutit! Unless it's a special event

lin14

• Total Posts: 1
                                            RE: concession cart in Phoenix, Arizona Sat, 05/4/13 6:52 PM (permalink)
                                            Ok, the fees are not bad since it's annually but I've been searching for mobile concession stands to sell burgers and hotdogs here in Arizona. I'm from Avondale but I don't think there's much traffic here for this kind of business. what do you think? Also, where can I get a good cart here in Arizona that will accommodate my need? My budget for a cart is less than $5000. Will really appreciate your help.. please email me at

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com