hot dog concession stand

Author
myway
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 310
2006/05/13 15:18:13 (permalink)

hot dog concession stand

Hi,

Well you always hear of someone who runs into an unbelievable deal of a lifetime. Finding something in a barn underneath years worth of dust. Well it happened to me the other day. I ran into a farmer that has an old concession trailer in his pasture. It is a 14'X 8' tandem axle trailer. it has two fold out sides. It is bare on the inside. He wants 100 bucks for it. I would like to get it. But I am curious about what renovations I need to make it compliant with usual health codes. Can anyone recommend a web site that might have this information? I live in Indiana. I have been selling hot dogs,(Best Kosher) on my hot dog cart. It would be nice to have a little trailer with a roof over my head. I think I have to have a three bay sink, Refrigeration., etc. but am unsure what all I really have to have. I would love to run my whole operation from a trailer, thereby bypassing the commisary situation. Any ideas?
Thanks a bunch
Myway

28 Replies Related Threads

Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/13 16:27:45 (permalink)
    Here in Ky I need the 3 hole sink plus a hand wash w/soap dispenser and there's talk of a mop sink in a mobile unit. Easy wipe down walls and tile or vinyl floor. Lights must be covered. Screens or air curtains. Some states are demanding air curtains now I hear. The grey water tank must be twice the size of your water supply. Indiana isn't that high I don't believe. Proper hoses for potable and grey water. You should choose between gas or electric appliances unless your going to do it up all the way. I personaly like both with a 100 amp box. I need exhaust and proper fire extinguishers if I have a fryer. Ansul systems are starting to be required in some states(ouch!). There is a feller on e-bay that sells the codes state by state. Supposed to be accurate but I've not seen them. His rating was 100% in over 800 sales. Something like 10 bucks and shipping. Smoothies Concession Codes I think is his store. VeeTec2000@aol.com but again I'm pretty sure that's it. Point is he seems to be in the trailer and concession advice business. Much good luck on your mission should you decide you have to just do it! I myself have a '69(ahhh, the summer of love) Chevy step van I'm getting ready do convert to something. I'm thinking mini burgers and mini donuts. Burgers & Donuts, now thats right where America lives!
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/13 17:16:58 (permalink)
    Drop Cowboy Bob an e-mail. He'e already been there and done that a few times.

CSD

Business Educator
    Hot Dog University
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/13 19:45:53 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I'll give that a try. Revision though, the unit is 10'X6'. Even better. It has 100 amp service. It is going to take a lot of elbow grease. It has been setting for at least eight years. I will keep selling my hot dogs and see how it goes. I am going to take this year and work on it. Not in a big rush. CSD, I saw your site and liked it very much. Can't wait to get there.
    Thanks
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/13 20:48:56 (permalink)
    Myway... I wouldnt mess with it... But being the nice guy that I am, I'll drop by the farmers house, drop him a bill and haul it out for him...
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/25 17:46:24 (permalink)
    Myway it took me two years to build mine. You can see it at www.DrofBBQ.com. If you want e-mail me and I'll send you a list of the equipment I bought (all of it on ebay) much cheaper there. And if you want a copy of my business plan
    Jack
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/27 20:44:10 (permalink)
    Hello,

The pictyres on the website look sooooooo good. too bad I live a ways away. Thanks Dr.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/28 05:17:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by myway

Hello,

The pictyres on the website look sooooooo good. too bad I live a ways away. Thanks Dr.
    Hell, it's only a few clicks of the mouse away. Stupid question but it's been sitting in a field for 8 years did you check the under carriage for rot on the frame? They are quite prone to do that after a period of time. Chow Jim
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/30 15:35:27 (permalink)
    Hi,

Yes it has been setting for eight years. I crawled up underneath the carriage fully expecting to see years of decay, but I was really suprised that it was structually sound. It needs cleaned up really good though. A nice project. I actually broke down the other night and told my wife that I had bought a trailer. She said the same thing Jim. I assured her it was okay. But she still has reservations. I am bringing the trailer home this weekend. The neighbors will have a fit as ususal. Another "eye sore", for they're worries. I still am pondering wether or not I should have told the wife, or maybe just showed up with it in tow and gave the grand phrase," Look what I bought for you Honey!" I hope when she sees it she'll be a sport. She usually is.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/30 15:41:19 (permalink)
    Good Luck Myway! Sounds like a fun project... Post some pics if you get the chance.. Be fun to see the before and after look..
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/30 20:14:10 (permalink)
    Hi,

I will try and post some pics. It should be a lot of fun. Due to the size constraints I will definbatley have to make every square inch of it work. I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/30 21:30:28 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Just wanted to add that I did get a copy of the Indiana codes from Vee Tec 2000. They are great. Alot of information. Thanks Pat.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/31 07:45:00 (permalink)
    hey, myway, i suggest you take it by the ole car wash, before getting it home. that might ease the tension in the wife's eyes just a bit.....sounds like a great find! contack your local dept of health, hotel and restaurants division. they will give you all the particulars you need, and will come out and inspect when you are ready.
    cowboy bob 2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/31 08:29:28 (permalink)
    Well all good things have to come to an end. I just sold my 2 units. I am oficially out of the business. I made a heck of a lot of money, but was it worth it. I say yes. First of all I loved to cook and wait on customers. They kept coming back, so that says something about my product. I'm back to playing my banjo at a local rest. They pay me 10.00 an Hr plus I can keep tips. But back to the business. You neeeeed! a hood system. 3 sinks for dishes, a hand wash sink. The BOHealth wants two main things locally Gloves on hands and a place to wash hands. and a hat. oops that 3. If you do Hot dogs and prepared products you can get away with a hand sink only. All your utensiles must be of throw away type. and do your pans and serving things at home. But when you do FF or Hamburgers they want the hood system. Mine was 1,000 for a 4 ftr. They wanted 2,000 for Ansul. I didn't put it in.
    Now here was my big sticking point. Insurance. Prepared to get screwed royal. My initial payment was 250.00, then after a year they want an audit of sales and they sent me a bill of 250. for last years sales. then based on next yrs sales, I send them 500.00 and be audited at end of year and pay more. The insurance is based on sales of products. I say go without and live in your car. No house. What can a sick suer get. nothing. Think Chi-Chi's they bought lettuce that was urineated on and people got sick (montezumas revenge) and they closed down in a our area. With a simple hot dog stand you won't need insurance. KISS
    So when you price your product include all of your costs.
    Air conditioning of trailers: Have a good roof fan, Make sure your roof is high enough not a car carrier height. it retains summer heat. have plenty of fans to move air inside and plenty of windows, and roof vents. I didn't feel the air cond. in my one unit at all.
    Make sure you have at least an 8ft wide unit. for 2 people.
    Would I do it again? Yes, Yes. But I'd pick my products differently. and no Insurance. I need a rest. So I'll keep on strumming. I will be 65 next month. Please No Happy Birthdays wishes.
    Post Script. Do it. I did, and made a pile of mo-la-rouge.
    If you live in an area and want advice on equipment. call your local Board of Health, If your city doesn't have one then state rules apply, Penna. is under the Dept of Agriculture. Do your homework. I'll do it for you at $10.00 per Hr, Consultation fee. 'You can do it Mon.' Later Cowboy Bob in PA.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/31 11:45:21 (permalink)
    MYWAY, Ive had difficulties with a couple of neighbors over projects that Ive brought home and quickly got tired of the "cityman" coming around. Soooooooooooooooooooooo.

I struck a deal with a towtruck operator, he would drop of a car or 2 a day, for a week, (like using my yard for a staging area) then remove them on monday. ~~tuesday is cityman day~~ the "man" would show up say he had recieved a complaint, look around and leave then I'd call the towman. This went on for about 2 months. The neighbors and I have struck an understanding and an occasional project vehicle in the driveway no longer gets called in.

Good luck on your project!
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/31 22:04:11 (permalink)
    I feel your pain with the nosey neighbors,I have the all time worst,spiteful, nosey neighbors.The guy and his rather large wife next door to us had nothing better to do than watch everything we do.They would speed dial the zoning officer if I had a project in my driveway.He made one mistake though when we moved in,he bragged about a big lawsuit he was waiting for, for years he was on workers comp,and hadn't worked an honest days work in over 6 years,but is as healthy as me or you.One day he was putting a roof on his garage carrying shingles to the top by himself,with his rather large wife holding the ladder.My little honey went to the edge of our property and started snapping pictures of him and their jaws dropped.He walked around like a cripple with a cane for two months after that thinking we were going to turn him in(we should have,but we're not like that,and they have kids),constantly looking over his shoulder.That was three years ago,and we haven't had a problem with them since,and I have an 18' box truck and 2 concession trailers in my driveway,and not a peep out of them! I just made another score of a lifetime myself.I found an all quilted(diamond pattern)stainless steel enclosed concession trailer for sale in the local want ad.It's the hot dog type made by custom mobile systems,with two steam tables,coffee maker,refridgerated ice box,stainless shelving,and hand wash sink,all stainless steel inside and out..An old guy took it in trade for some work that he did,and he had it in the paper for $750.I called him immediately,and his phone was constantly busy.I finally got through,and he told me his phone was ringing all day people calling on it.I asked if it was still for sale,and he said it was,but a bunch of people were supposed to come look at it.I got directions and went right over there,and luckliy no one was there yet.I looked at it for 10 minutes,just making converstion with him,and he said ''gimme $400 for it and take it,I'm tired of my phone ringing!'' He was 75 years old,and a little cranky,and happy to have it out of his driveway,and I was happy to help him out and have it in mine!Now to get it out there making some money!
    I would have jumped all over that $100 concession trailer in the barn,even if i had to pay to store it somewhere.

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/31 22:15:55 (permalink)
    All these golden finds... But not in my neck of the woods..
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/05/31 22:20:26 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Thanks so much for the info. Cowboy Bob I appreciate it. I plan on keeping it very simple. Hot dogs pretty much. Wife suggested that I try and get a deep fryer and do ribbon fries, I'm not sure on that one. She thinks I will make a bundle of the fries alone. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again.
    cowboy bob 2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/06/01 12:42:44 (permalink)
    French Fries are a very big seller. What better than a chsbgr and fries, and soda. Hey where's the dogs. They took a side line. PS that's what happened to me, used to sell 150 dogs a day, until fries & burgers came along. "Now is the time to sell sodas!"
    Later CBB
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/06/01 13:53:40 (permalink)
    Hi,
    That's quite a find festivalfood. You can't beat that with a stick! Is it in good shape? Well for what you got it for you can make it that way quick. I have to totally gut my trailer. Thats okay though. I sure wish it was allready loaded though. I was on Hollyeats last night. I saw hot dog trailer that is similar to mine on there. It is out of Sayerville N.J. It is called Bears hot dogs. I liked the color scheme on the trailer. I might run it by the wife and see if she likes it. If she does I might have to borrow that color scheme. I have to make sure this trailer stands out. Where I set up I have to compete against a McD's, and two established local resturants. I know it is not really a good location, but it is all I have right now. I get the spot for free.
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/06/01 19:53:11 (permalink)
    It needs a little work,the compressor for the ice box is shot,but I have a new one from another piece of equipment that I am going to have put in.I'm taking the coffee urn out from where it is and putting in a cecilware grill,and small hood over it,and putting in a small 3 bay sink.Overall it's in good shape,but it needs some work.I am in the process of finishing a total redo on one of my waymatic concessiom trailers.I'm converting it back to a funnel cake trailer with frozen lemonade from a 3 barrel taylor granita (slush) machine that I just picked up.My little honey wanted it back as a funnel cake trailer for a spot we have for it this summer,and I gave in(I like hot dog ,sausage and peppers,fies and burger trailers,and pizza trailers).But if you think hot dogs are profitable (and they are),funnel cakes are 1000% profit,no spoilage,and easy to make,and at large events there is always a line at the funnel cake trailer.I made a deal with her since we just bought the stainless hot dog trailer,I'll make one waymatic trailer a funnel cake and frozen lemonade trailer,and I get to redesign our larger waymatic trailer any way I want.I'm stuck between two different themes for the larger trailer,either a Nathan's hot dog ,fries,sausage and peppers trailer painted up in a Nathan's theme .I have to contact them to find out about their branded program,where there's no franchise fee,but you buy your equipment and hotdogs and supplies from them,like convenience stores do.My only problem is I won't do them on a roller grill(I hate roller grills!!!!)I want to do them old school original style like the do in Coney Island on my 6 foot cecilware gas flat grill.My other theme for the trailer is a pizza trailer,either way I have all the equipment and then some for either set up,my only problem finding the time to finish all my projects,and trying to refrain from buying new ones.Good luck with your trailer,becareful though it is an addiction! but a fun and profitable addiction once you get started.
    skinsfan.06
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/06/02 11:42:41 (permalink)
    DR of BBQ: Check your email. I just sent one to you. Man your food looks good.....and your truck..........AWESOME!!!!
    skinsfan.06
    Junior Burger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/06/02 14:05:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by festivalfood

I feel your pain with the nosey neighbors,I have the all time worst,spiteful, nosey neighbors.The guy and his rather large wife next door to us had nothing better to do than watch everything we do.They would speed dial the zoning officer if I had a project in my driveway.He made one mistake though when we moved in,he bragged about a big lawsuit he was waiting for, for years he was on workers comp,and hadn't worked an honest days work in over 6 years,but is as healthy as me or you.One day he was putting a roof on his garage carrying shingles to the top by himself,with his rather large wife holding the ladder.My little honey went to the edge of our property and started snapping pictures of him and their jaws dropped.He walked around like a cripple with a cane for two months after that thinking we were going to turn him in(we should have,but we're not like that,and they have kids),constantly looking over his shoulder.That was three years ago,and we haven't had a problem with them since,and I have an 18' box truck and 2 concession trailers in my driveway,and not a peep out of them! I just made another score of a lifetime myself.I found an all quilted(diamond pattern)stainless steel enclosed concession trailer for sale in the local want ad.It's the hot dog type made by custom mobile systems,with two steam tables,coffee maker,refridgerated ice box,stainless shelving,and hand wash sink,all stainless steel inside and out..An old guy took it in trade for some work that he did,and he had it in the paper for $750.I called him immediately,and his phone was constantly busy.I finally got through,and he told me his phone was ringing all day people calling on it.I asked if it was still for sale,and he said it was,but a bunch of people were supposed to come look at it.I got directions and went right over there,and luckliy no one was there yet.I looked at it for 10 minutes,just making converstion with him,and he said ''gimme $400 for it and take it,I'm tired of my phone ringing!'' He was 75 years old,and a little cranky,and happy to have it out of his driveway,and I was happy to help him out and have it in mine!Now to get it out there making some money!
    I would have jumped all over that $100 concession trailer in the barn,even if i had to pay to store it somewhere.

Wow festivalfood....it sounds like you have really put a lot of thought into this. I never have considered half of the options that you are talking about.

I am brand new at this and am attempting to start a food concession business. Man, these concession trucks are EXPENSIVE...but my heart is set on getting one. Basically, with the Maryland state regs, I need one! I too, want to do the Italian Sausage, Burgers & Fries & Hot Dog thing (and since I live in Maryland.....CRABCAKES....obviously). However, I was intrigued when you said "Funnel Cake". Haven't considered that one.

A couple of Funnel Cake questions; Do you make your Funnel Cake mix from scratch, or do you buy a pre-mixed version? If you make your own, doesn't it have MILK in it (which would be suseptible to spoilage)? How much do you charge for one funnel cake? Do you pour it a certain way to get that 'web' shape, or do you just make the flat, solid, box shaped ones. And what toppings do you offer with them.

I never thought that funnel cake would be THAT profitable, but I will take your word for it.
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/06/02 23:35:46 (permalink)
    We have used commercial funnel cake mix only,it's easier,and still works out to 4 cents per funnel cake at a fair or festival you can get$4.00,other smaller events $3.00 plus.As far as toppings,you can top it with anything you would put on a cake or pastry ,pineapple,cherries,strawberries,chocolate ,ice cream etc. One of the most profitable items any food concession has,especially at fairs is soda from the tap.I have a friend that does fresh cut fries,and tap soda and makes a killing at fairs and festivals.He charges $2 for a 16oz soda and
    $3 for a 32oz,a little much yes,but at big events he gets it.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/06/02 23:56:01 (permalink)
    quote:

We have used commercial funnel cake mix only,it's easier,and still works out to 4 cents per funnel cake at a fair or festival you can get$4.00,other smaller events $3.00 plus.As far as toppings,you can top it with anything you would put on a cake or pastry ,pineapple,cherries,strawberries,chocolate ,ice cream etc. One of the most profitable items any food concession has,especially at fairs is soda from the tap.I have a friend that does fresh cut fries,and tap soda and makes a killing at fairs and festivals.He charges $2 for a 16oz soda and

I think your prices might be conservative, I think they are higher than that at the fairs around here.

The Big Fairs around here, get a cut of 35% of the gross, what do they get in your area?

Also I have checked with all the big county fairs within a 60 mile area of my house, most have a waiting list of 3 years, the St. Joseph Countu Grange Fair has a waiting list alot longer than that. Some of their vendors have beem coming for over 50 years, the budsiness is passed down genertaion to generation.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/06/03 14:52:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by myway

Hi,
    Just wanted to add that I did get a copy of the Indiana codes from Vee Tec 2000. They are great. Alot of information. Thanks Pat.

No problem! How's it going by the way? Well I hope.
    If anyone is interested in a top of the line outfit check out a site www.usedrides.com . Click on browse for sale and scroll down till you see the ad for this great looking Otterbacher hot/cold cart. I don't think I've seen one like it. Otterbacher is a big name in outdoor concessions. It does need electric. Say's it was used only indoors, probably a mall. Looks sweet and could be used for so many things.
    skinsfan.06
    Junior Burger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/06/05 07:37:03 (permalink)
    quote:

skinsfan.06
    Junior Burger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/06/05 07:38:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by skinsfan.06

quote:

Man, that is ridiculous markup! Wow.
    skinsfan.06
    Junior Burger
    RE: hot dog concession stand 2006/06/05 14:08:11 (permalink)
    Hey FESTIVALFOOD, I just might try the funnel cake thing at a couple of community festivals coming up in my area. Do you have a contact for the commercial funnel cake company? Thanks in advance.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1