hot dog vending in volusia county,fl

Author
dc813
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2011/01/01 23:12:55 (permalink)

hot dog vending in volusia county,fl

Hi,

I am interested in opening a hotdog cart in volusia county,fl. from a few posts on here it appears that obtaining license for a hot dog cart in volusia county is very unlikely. has anyone done it? if so can you give me some tips. what license do i need to apply for beyond state? also anyone know of a provider of commissary services in the area?

regards
-N

20 Replies Related Threads

THE WILD DOG
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 00:43:01 (permalink)
    You best bet would be to contact your county Health Dept and start there. THey will have the answers to the question you proposed here. Also try to research your questions in the search option. Many of non visable threads on here covering alot.

Welcome to Roadfood and good luck

WD
    KBB
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 08:49:53 (permalink)
    Call your county tax collector first and see if they will issue you a vendor license for your cart they will say yes or no.  If yes, then check into what areas they allow you to be in and they will answer all your questions and they usually have a packet you can go get and it will detail everything you need and what their rules are.  If you have a spot in mind figure out if you can do business there or not, pick a couple of spots!  Then go to fl dept of business and regulation here's the link:  this will tell you all you need know for state license.
    Hope this helps!
    KBB
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 08:54:06 (permalink)
    dunno why link didn't show... but go to fl dept of business and professional regulation click apply for license and it will give you all the info.....
    Doggie Bites
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 147
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 09:27:40 (permalink)
    Welcome,after all the above, check out Craigs list for a commissary,Fla's not so friendly to us hotdog guys.
    Good Luck
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 11:02:22 (permalink)
    Is it the county itself or the city that objects to the carts? There ARE other towns than the ones on the beach strip (Pierson, Barberville). My mom's side of the family is from Pierson. I know that in Corpus Christi the City permitted us to work in the County (does that make sense).  So you may be able to work one of the non-beach towns if you tell them up from you are not going to work there.

We found the small beach front-tourist trap towns around Corpus to be very anti-food vendor (but so was the whole area as far as customers go). Food vendors are "trashy" according to Rockport TX. The city of Portland was concerned about our "taking business away" from the S&B restaurants (David actually laughed at the lady). Aransas Pass just said NO.. no explanations or anything. We later heard (never looked into it) that Port Aransas would allow food vendors (but not on the beach itself).
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2011/01/02 11:09:32
    THE WILD DOG
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 11:24:02 (permalink)
    From lurking and reading, certain counties in FL are non cart friendly. It would lead me to believe those would be  highly populated resort & tourist towns, Themed restaurants and such depend on the traffic flow to survive and have a stronghold on what goes on in their districts.

I could be totally wrong, but that's what I'm getting out of the reads.  IMHO  I'm curious as to why some fly & others don't.
    Gene's Dogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 719
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 13:51:59 (permalink)
    WD
    The FL state condiment rules are time consuming and expensive for me to do; serving individually packaged servings.  I understand the concept and appreciate the idea, but it's a bit much.

Jacksonville city regulations are designed to keep all but about 25 street vendors away from large public population concentrations.  That leaves small public populations and private property.  This city is so spread out that the hot dog eater per square inch count is fairly low.  Last I checked, the beaches still exclude hot dog vendors with zeal.

Local codes are worded to allow removal of a street vendor if anyone complains, in about any case.
    dc813
    Junior Burger
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 14:08:57 (permalink)
    thx all for the advice!

i am not in the beachside/resort areas. i have noticed there are no hotdog vendors in the big chain hardware stores around here, even at the weekend. i am just looking to be part-time/weekend income. i also have a full-line vending business and i noticed one can pick up a used hot dog cart relatively inexpensive  i figure it could be a good way to blow out inventory i have to carry anyway (chips/soda/candy). 

does anyone else have success as a weekend vendor?

i will try whats suggested. thanks!
    -N
    dc813
    Junior Burger
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 14:13:51 (permalink)
    Gene's Dogs

WD
    The FL state condiment rules are time consuming and expensive for me to do; serving individually packaged servings.  I understand the concept and appreciate the idea, but it's a bit much.

what do you mean by that?
    THE WILD DOG
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 14:33:32 (permalink)
    I think he means, you can't have pan chili, onions, things like that, it has to be in individual sealed containers ( with lids)

*** What do you mean you have a full inline vending business. Do you mean like soda/snack machines ? I'm thinking of getting a few to see how they hold up and what kind of money they will generate.  Any advice or thoughts and possible income from them ???
    Gene's Dogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 14:46:57 (permalink)
    dc813

Gene's Dogs

WD

Here's a picture of how I do it.  I can't urge you enough to get with your local regulating authorities.  I have even seen specifics vary from inspector to inspector. If you have a good spot picked out for weekend $$, go for it.  Your vending connections might be a good place to start.

Mark my words oh fellow denizens of the bun!  When chili is outlawed, only outlaws will have chili!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gene234/4913087110/
    dc813
    Junior Burger
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 21:01:38 (permalink)
    Gene's Dogs

dc813

Gene's Dogs

WD

Here's a picture of how I do it.  I can't urge you enough to get with your local regulating authorities.  I have even seen specifics vary from inspector to inspector. If you have a good spot picked out for weekend $$, go for it.  Your vending connections might be a good place to start.

Mark my words oh fellow denizens of the bun!  When chili is outlawed, only outlaws will have chili!

WOW that is absurd....i dont get the logic behind making you do it that way! 
    dc813
    Junior Burger
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/02 21:18:03 (permalink)
    THE WILD DOG

I think he means, you can't have pan chili, onions, things like that, it has to be in individual sealed containers ( with lids)

*** What do you mean you have a full inline vending business. Do you mean like soda/snack machines ? I'm thinking of getting a few to see how they hold up and what kind of money they will generate.  Any advice or thoughts and possible income from them ???

yeah i have soda and snack machines and honor boxes 

honestly honor boxes are the best ROI and easiest to place,service etc.. a lot of people don't like them or they are afraid of them but you can actually make a lot of money with them.

soda and snack machines, there is a lot of money in them but you have to do it right. mainly the thing is this, anywhere you could put a machine, that would be worth putting it (and most places its not) theres already a machine there. so the locations you can get by simply buying some machines and knocking on doors are ones that the major vending companies dont bother with. because you wont gross more than 30 or 40 bucks a week. yes you can earn money with these type of accounts but its a lot of work for not a good return. where there are accounts where u can put the same equipment and spend the same time servicing and make a few hundred a week gross or more. just depends on putting the time in hunting these locations, selling them, getting the old vendor out,etc.. its a real process. plus you have to have a way to move the machines and fix them. yes you can hire someone but its not very cost effective. furthermore you might have to store the machines and refurb them so it helps to have a big space to do that like a storage place or a barn/shed. 

personally i can give you 4 peices of advice on this

1 - dont ever buy machines from a "biz-op" type of set up you will overpay by thousands and the equipment they sell is junk
    2 - dont ever buy machines form people who bought them from "biz-op" especially machines called combo units which sell both soda and snack. only buy reliable equipment that is industry standard like dixie-narco, vendo, AP, crane national,etc.. because you can get parts. rowe and usi are not bad brands either but they may be harder to find parts for
    3 - dont bu a route off craigs list i made this mistake. these routes suck (thats why someone is selling them) and they will almost always overcharge you
    4 - try honor boxes, just try them, it takes some nerve to trust you wont lose your money but the investment is VERY small compared to soda snack and the ROI is much better. plus they are easy as hell to place. 

post edited by dc813 - 2011/01/02 21:24:27
    machineman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/03 15:05:42 (permalink)
    dc813

Welcome to the Florida hot dog cart business.

I really have nothing constructive to offer, but I have launched 4 carts in Orlando in the last year so if you have any questions feel free to ask... it isn't all the glamour it appears ;)

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/04 02:18:06 (permalink)
    Gene and Machineman.. The fact that you have to put your condiments in individual containers (portion cups typically) is absurd. I read this rule and laughed, and have no plans on following it... I saw one cart that followed this rule and refused my typical chili dog.  Fact is, plastic and styrofoam release gases when heated! If I wanted to expose myself to anymore carcinogens than I already do, there be far more fun ways of doing it.  I seriously have thought about challenging this rule publicly to see what far fetched response they would come up with.

dc813
    Junior Burger
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/04 19:18:32 (permalink)
    machineman

dc813

Welcome to the Florida hot dog cart business.

I really have nothing constructive to offer, but I have launched 4 carts in Orlando in the last year so if you have any questions feel free to ask... it isn't all the glamour it appears ;)

i had found a guy who rents carts in orlando he said all i need is a 'food handler permit' which i can obtain from the county, should i assume this is incorrect information?
    Dogydude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/05 22:42:04 (permalink)
    dc, here is the link (if it will work for me), that explains some of the rules for a MFDV (mobil food dispensing vehicle).  Number 12 on this page explains about the food manager's certification. www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/hr/licensing/GT_MDFV.html

post edited by Dogydude - 2011/01/05 22:45:36
    dc813
    Junior Burger
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/06 10:55:03 (permalink)
    thanks i appreciate you taking the time to point it out, i found the site very confusing and hard find exactly what i was looking for at first.
    neilcody
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/06 14:01:42 (permalink)
    Hi D.C.. I've been reading the posts and you are getting a lot of good advice as I did before I started. The guy that said all you needed was the handlers certificate was INCORRECT, you'll need the full managers certification. I travel to Deland at least once a week and saw a guy at the old filling station across from Stetson Univ. Campus selling Nathans, not sure he is there any longer, seemed like a nice spot you might want to check out. What part of valooser county are you in? I knew about the tiny condiment containers for our beanless chili rule, but didn't know it applied to saurkraut as well....when you meet you're inspector, if he is as helpful as mine was, he should let you what he will allow during your opening inspection. Good luck you should do just fine if you follow this forum and glean wisely....peace.
    Gene's Dogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:hot dog vending in volusia county,fl 2011/01/06 15:19:20 (permalink)
    D.C.
    as neilcody said you do need the food manager cert., but one inspector told me I could train my own help.  Your specific inspector is the final say on everything and could vary from others.  If you're renting a cart, you might be working under the cart owner's food manager-ness.  If that's the case, you might be able to operate under his health license, too!???  I used to work for a rental place and the renters contract was with us, not any licensing agency.

neilcody
    The kraut is not potentially hazardous, so it does not require individual packaging.  However, I do it because I sell so little.  It's easy and neat way to carry and serve a few servings.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1