hot dog..help please!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
peace2uuu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
2004/06/29 12:22:45 (permalink)

hot dog..help please!

Hi everyone my name is Raymond and i need some help (imput) i work with Make-A-Wish in central Ohio. We are doing a event for a wish child in November. Will be called an evening at the Blue Sky Diner. On that night we (300)of our closes friends are going to decide Americas favorite hot dog..we are going to build hot dog stands inside..have a hot dog eating contest etc..anyway our problem is what 6 to use..limit to 6 because of space etc. I'm pretty sure we are going to use Nathans as 1..would like to do a Rutts Hut dog also..what we need is other suggestions, type of dog,what is best served on them etc any help would be great!! Thanks :)

40 Replies Related Threads

emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 13:36:45 (permalink)
    Why don't you try to use different toppings at the different stations.
    For instance, maybe a Chicago style dog, a Coney Island style and of course the Carolina Dog-mustard , onion, and coleslaw. I am sure that some of our good Road Food friends would share their regional favorites with you.
    peace2uuu
    Junior Burger
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 13:50:42 (permalink)
    wow that is a GREAT idea thank you!! and that is exactly what we are looking for...regional favorites. we have limited knowledge ourselves and need help, most of us grew up with one dog...the old CLEVELAND STADIUM dog...dog,bun,and Bertmans brown mustard, yummy
    AndrewO
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 14:08:00 (permalink)
    Another thread here might be helpful to you it is titled Regional Favorites under the "Hot Dogs, Suasages & Bratwursts" Forum.

My vote as a transplanted Georgian living in Cincinnati is to bring in some Varsity chili dogs from Atlanta. That would be hard logisticaly but they might help since its charity.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 15:05:43 (permalink)
    Here in CT there are a few hot dog makers.

Roessler's
    Mucke
    Grote and Weigel
    Martin Rosol's

Most hot dog places around here offer weiner sauce (variation on chili), chili or onion sauce as well as 'kraut, chopped raw onion, cheese, mustard and ketchup. Hot dogs sizes range from the standard 6 inches all the way to 2 footers. And the buns must be top split, buttered on the sides and toasted.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 15:06:57 (permalink)
    I forgot to mention bacon as a topping as well.
    peace2uuu
    Junior Burger
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 16:41:56 (permalink)
    thanks everyone for imput!! please keep it coming..details details details..we like to do things right
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 17:21:24 (permalink)
    A chicago style dog is typically a boiled dog on a steamed poppy seed bun. Toppings vary but frequently consist of yellow mustard, picalilly, chopped onions, tomato slices, celery salt, and sport peppers optional.

Can someone help me? I can't remember what sport peppers really are.

Toppings do vary. For instance, grilled onions are often substituted for raw.

If you want a hot dog stand motif, look up Superdawg in Chicago. http://www.superdawg.com/ They have merchandise that may help.

Can you specify what other information you seek?
    ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 17:36:14 (permalink)
    Check out
    www.hollyeats.com
    the hot dog page may be of some help.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 19:22:36 (permalink)
    Perhaps cook them as Lum's used to do????
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 19:31:11 (permalink)
    Pink's and Tommy's from LA put out some fine chili dogs...
    peace2uuu
    Junior Burger
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 19:40:32 (permalink)
    what we are looking for is posts like tsores..not only a great dog but why it's great...the topping etc that makes the dog..as stated before we like details..for instance Chicago dog, yellow mustard is there one that is more than others? or brand of dog, anything and everything is going to help...and THANKS everyone for your help...if anyone is from Ohio or close by we sure welcome you to join us in November..we welcome you to share in the power of a wish, it's awesome
    exoo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 20:56:05 (permalink)
    Dear Raymond,
    I have been reading many place on this worldwide web. It appears that Ball Park are the franks kids prefer, despite Oscar Meyers' claim to the contrary. Niman's Franks from Northern California are considered the Rolls Royce of gourmet hot dogs. The disadvantage is their price: 4 for $8 plus shipping from California.
    The hot dog sold at Sam's, Albert Lee, I think is fantastic and best for hot dog stands. 80 frozen franks sell for $10-11 all meat, while all beef are prices $13-14. These franks do not split, and I find them quite tasty. So do my customers. I steam them with a broth of beef boullion, coriander, fresh pressed garlic. It might be nice to balance out your gourmet dogs with a frank that wins customer approval from Sam's Club.

George Exoo
    Beckley, WV

baughman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 21:44:07 (permalink)
    Here is a good link for diffrent types from around the nation. www.amnh.org/exhibitions/baseball/hotdogs

tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/29 22:19:18 (permalink)

The sport peppers are jalapeno peppers. Let's not forget that kosher dill pickle spear.

Chicagostyledog: Yes and no. I did forget the pickle spear. How did that happen? The peppers are not jalepeno but serrano.

Peace2uuu: You can get these peppers and the relish at www.flukys.com Flukys is the genuine article when it comes to Chicago-style hot dogs. For mustard, think of French's salad mustard.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/30 06:42:54 (permalink)
    If you are looking to do 6 distinct styles, I would look at the following styles, N.Y. dirty water dog (boiled Sabrett with casing), grilled kosher style (Best's all beef from Jersey) grilled German style beef and pork (Thumann's slow cooked on a griddle) Italian Hot Dog (skinless Best dogs deep fried and put in pizza bread with fried peppers, potatoes and onions) North Jersey deep fried dog (Thumann's special dog for deep frying with Rutt's extraordinary relish) Texas Weiner (a good beef and pork dog with mustard, onions, and chili sauce) and a Chicago style hot dog (Vienna beef frank with yellow mustard, green relish, onions, tomatoes, pickle slice, celery salt, and sports peppers).

To just cook up some dogs on a grill, I would suggest the following brands; 3 all beef, 3 beef and pork (and/or veal) German style.

All beef: Usinger's Angus beef wieners, Best 5 to a lb beef franks, Sabrett or Nathan's

German style: Thumann's, Schaller & Weber, Schickhaus.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/30 08:39:47 (permalink)
    I found this and thought it was really fun................would make a great poster!

Do not put hot dog toppings between the hot dog and the bun.
    Always "dress the dog" not the bun.

Do apply condiments the following order: wet condiments like mustard and chili are applied first, followed by chunky condiments like relish, onions, jalapenos, sauerkraut and tomatoes, followed by shredded cheese, followed by spices, like celery salt or pepper.

Do not take more than five bites to finish a hot dog.
    For foot-long wiener, seven bites are acceptable.

Do serve sesame seed, poppy seed and plain buns with hot dogs.
    Anything fancy or trendy is considered gauche.

Do not use a cloth napkin to wipe your mouth when eating a hot dog. Paper is always preferable.

Do eat hot dogs on buns with your hands.
    Utensils should not touch hot dogs on buns.

Do not leave bits of bun on your plate.
    Eat it all.

Do use paper plates to serve hot dogs.
    Every day dishes are acceptable; china is a no-no.

Do not ever serve fresh herbs on the same plate with hot dogs.

Do use multi-colored toothpicks to serve cocktail wieners.
    Cocktail forks are in poor taste.

Do not use ketchup on your hot dog after the age of 18.

Do Lick away any condiments remaining on the fingers after eating a hot dog rather than wiping or washing your hands.

Do not bring wine to a hot dog barbecue.
    Beer, soda, lemonade and iced tea are preferable.

Do smile & let your mind wander to fun times past while
    eating a hot dog.

RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/30 09:56:20 (permalink)
    We just had our church festival last weekend and sold nearly a thousand hot dogs. Of those, about 700 were topped with this:

Sweet & Sour Kraut (50 side servings for pig roast; tops 100 hot dogs)

1 1/4 cups butter or margarine
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    10 medium size onions, halved and cut into thin slivers
    5 cups firmly packed brown sugar
    1 1/4 tsp. black pepper
    2 Tbs. salt
    10 - 6 oz. cans tomato paste
    10 - 1 lb. 11 oz. cans sauerkraut, undrained

In a large skillet, melt butter over low heat; add garlic and onions and cook until tender, but not brown. Mix sugar, salt, pepper, tomato paste, and sauerkraut juice in a large roasting pan. Add cooked onions, garlic and butter to roasting pan and mix. Stir in sauerkraut. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally. (Can be made in electric roaster pan )
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4588
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/30 12:30:44 (permalink)
    ......OK CSDog, I'll bite. What's "gleeking" mean? I learn more cool useless stuff here........
    Bill
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/30 16:47:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

......OK CSDog, I'll bite. What's "gleeking" mean? I learn more cool useless stuff here........
    Bill

yea,what he said!
    ohman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/30 16:51:42 (permalink)
    I think it is shooting water between your teeth, I wont swear to it though.
    peace2uuu
    Junior Burger
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/30 20:07:21 (permalink)
    ok folks we have to present this..promote etc, if we are doing we decide best dog in the U.S. we have to do styles from all over..north,south,2 from the east, west and heartland..if you were going to do a menu (program) how would you break it down..present it? Mr Fox you listening?
    peace2uuu
    Junior Burger
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/06/30 20:33:33 (permalink)
    chicago i tried calling Matt today..was told he isn't with the company anymore any other contact info? thanks
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/07/01 10:29:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:
    Originally posted by tsores

The sport peppers are jalapeno peppers. Let's not forget that kosher dill pickle spear.

Chicagostyledog: Yes and no. I did forget the pickle spear. How did that happen? The peppers are not jalepeno but serrano.

Peace2uuu: You can get these peppers and the relish at www.flukys.com Flukys is the genuine article when it comes to Chicago-style hot dogs. For mustard, think of French's salad mustard.

Tsores: Yes, Fluky's sport peppers are serrano. Vienna Beef's are jalapeno peppers. The original Fluky's on Western Avenue used Vienna Beef hot dogs. When Fluky's began to franchise, they switched to their own brand, made by Klements in Milwaukee. The original Fluky's may still be using Vienna.

Chicagostyledog: I beg to differ. Vienna may use Jalepeno but it is not a sport pepper.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/07/01 15:53:40 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tsores: Yes, Fluky's sport peppers are serrano. Vienna Beef's are jalapeno peppers. The original Fluky's on Western Avenue used Vienna Beef hot dogs. When Fluky's began to franchise, they switched to their own brand, made by Klements in Milwaukee. The original Fluky's may still be using Vienna.

Chicagostyledog: I beg to differ. Vienna may use Jalepeno but it is not a sport pepper.

Tsores, you're absolutely correct. The Vienna's are serrano peppers. I had way much too Tequila before responsding to your post and couldn't read the small print on the 2 gallon CHIPICO sport pepper pail. However, I do recall dancing on a table and shooting out the lights.

Well, next time . . . pass the bottle.
    peace2uuu
    Junior Burger
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/07/01 20:57:29 (permalink)
    any help with brands would be great...slaw for slaw dogs...chili for chili dogs...relish,mustard etc...thanks this is coming together great thanks to your help
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/07/02 01:45:53 (permalink)
    For another regional favorite, get some Zwiegels white hots from Rochester, NY. White hots are pork only, and not well known outside of this area, but they are really good. If you can find them, Hoffmans in Syracuse also makes a good white hot.
    peace2uuu
    Junior Burger
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/07/02 16:46:32 (permalink)
    once AGAIN thanks everyone, the menu as of today is this...
    NEW YORK STREET CART DOG
    NEW JERSEY DEEP FRIED
    CONEY ISLAND CHILI DOG
    CHICAGO RED HOT
    SOUTHERN SLAW DOG
    BEST OF OHIO...event is here thinking skyline chili and bertmans mustard...sound about right?
    ohman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/07/02 18:42:49 (permalink)
    Berndog I just got a meat promo from Zwiegels, I also heard the white hots are awesome. I will try them this weekend.
    ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: hot dog..help please! 2004/07/03 13:53:23 (permalink)
    I don't know what brand names are available in your area, but I have found that with the "Slaw Dogs" that a sweeter slaw works best. These are a new discovery for me (thanks emsmom) and have become an obsession, and the sweet stuff seems best against the spiciness of the mustard and/or chili.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1