hot holding savoury pies on a propane cart - any suggestions?

Author
crepeflipper
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
2013/02/09 12:58:22 (permalink)

hot holding savoury pies on a propane cart - any suggestions?

We're adding a 2nd cart and expanding from crepes into meat pies/pasties.  We vend at farmers markets, no elect, gensets are frowned upon.  Cart #2 is a hot dog cart  w/ a 2 pan propane fired steam stable.  We plan to use it to hot hold our pies.   Problem is two pans only hold about 50-60 pies.  We plan to sell 100-250 on market day. We were planning to hot hold inventory in Cambros but experienced folks said the crust will get soggy. Could use an oven to reheat but  I cannot seem to find a reasonable propane oven or warming drawers so back to drawing board.  The only oven I've seen is a wimpy Coleman that is much too small.

Now I'm thinking of building 2-3 tier display case with tempered glass above the heat source and either converting to dry heat using a griddle or staying with the steam table and venting out the top.

This is a towable trailer so I'm worried about rock chips on the glass, etc. Leads on ovens or any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks!
Richard in Oregon

3 Replies Related Threads

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:hot holding savoury pies on a propane cart - any suggestions? 2013/02/10 09:03:19 (permalink)
    Are you steaming your buns on your other cart? And do they get soggy? If not I'd buy or build something that would do the same for my pies.
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2419
    Re:hot holding savoury pies on a propane cart - any suggestions? 2013/02/10 11:08:35 (permalink)
    imho, for the best quality, these would be best right out of the oven, into a Hatco counter top dry hot holding display case, that I happen to have for sale. I can't see how your going to heat these up to 160 degrees and hold at 140 degrees. Chafing dishes are heated with steam hitting a bottom pan, the same thing with a hD cart. I would think a Cambro would create moisture from the heat of the pies. I would do my best trying to get some electricity. If the meat pies are 100% great taste, flaky, and delicious when cooked and served properly, and only 60 to 70% quality by cooking and holding another way, I'm not sure I would be doing justice to myself or my product..........That being said, a gas grill could be made into a oven by putting the pies in a half pan on the cool side of the grill. You could also put a woodstove fire brick between the two sides so you don't over heat the side of the pan closer to the heat.......I'm out in your neck of the woods, let me know if I could help..............pnwc
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:hot holding savoury pies on a propane cart - any suggestions? 2013/02/11 08:16:17 (permalink)
    Maybe you could use a cabinet type of propane smoker but not use the chips so no smoke. You could possibly use the smoke tray for some water to keep a bit of humidity.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1