hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6347
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/06 11:33:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Dog King

The franchise stores that I have visited were all using frozen fries and only one was serving natural casing dogs.

As we've said many times here,many of the Nathan's franchises just don't sell the same natural casing dog you can get at the real Nathan's. So many people don't know what they are missing!!!
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/06 12:14:21 (permalink)
The sad thing is so many people don't know what a good hot dog tastes like!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10352
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 17:34:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

GO USA!! GO USA!! GO USA!!

"One thing I'd really like to know is if the hot dogs they used were the natural casing ones(their top of the line) or those nasty skinless dogs that they pass off on unsuspecting supermarket customers. Anyone have any idea? This is a question even the great John Fox might not have an answer for.
"

I've emailed Nathans and will post the answer IFthey reply

Eureka! Nathan's gets an A+ for Customer Service! I Received the following reply:

"Dear Mr. Clark: Thank you for your consideration in contacting us. The contestants at the Hot Dog Eating Contest are required to eat the 8/1 natural casing hot dog as served in our restaurants. Thank you for your inquiry. Susan C. McCann Guest Services"
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5105
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 17:36:26 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

"One thing I'd really like to know is if the hot dogs they used were the natural casing ones(their top of the line) or those nasty skinless dogs that they pass off on unsuspecting supermarket customers. Anyone have any idea? This is a question even the great John Fox might not have an answer for.
"

Eureka! Nathan's gets an A+ for Customer Service! I Received the following reply:

"Dear Mr. Clark: Thank you for your consideration in contacting us. The contestants at the Hot Dog Eating Contest are required to eat the 8/1 natural casing hot dog as served in our restaurants. Thank you for your inquiry. Susan C. McCann Guest Services"

Told ya so.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 17:42:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

quote:

quote:

quote:

"

Told ya so.

Can you Imagine trying to "Pass" the casings from 64 Hot Dogs???!!!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 17:45:08 (permalink)
Ouch!" />
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1193
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 17:59:35 (permalink)
I find the idea of these competitions kind of disgusting in country where one in six children goes to bed hungry each night.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 18:02:22 (permalink)
Actually, I find them kind of disgusting-period!
Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 18:47:44 (permalink)
I'm on the side of jmckee too. While "competitive eating" is fun to watch in a disgusting kind of way, I think glorifies gluttony and waste. We're supposed to be an enlightened society. These contests really should be retired.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 18:52:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

I find the idea of these competitions kind of disgusting in country where one in six children goes to bed hungry each night.

Nathan's In The News

Nathan's Famous to Donate 100,000 Hot Dogs
6/24/2008
On July 4, 2008 Nathan’s Famous will donate 100,000 hot dogs to the Food Bank For New York City, a hunger relief charity that is part of the America’s Second Harvest network.

Nathan’s Famous President Wayne Norbitz will make the donation during his company’s annual Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island, NY.

“Each year, Nathan’s Famous makes a donation to hunger relief organizations as part of our world famous July Fourth hot dog eating contest,” said Wayne Norbitz, president and COO of Nathan’s Famous, Inc. I am very pleased to announce that this year we’ll make our biggest donation ever, a total of 100,000 Nathan’s Famous Hot Dogs.”

Patrick Mooney, director of Philanthropy at The Food Bank For New York City said: "With its generous donation Nathan’s Famous has made a significant contribution to our ongoing fight against hunger. Communities throughout New York City will benefit greatly from this gift."

As it has in year’s past, the donation will be made at the original Nathan’s Famous on Surf and Stillwell Avenues in Coney Island, NY. The ceremony will happen just before the 2008 Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest, which last year drew tens of thousands of competitive eating fans and millions of TV viewers. The contest has been held the original Nathan’s Famous restaurant in Coney Island each July 4th since 1916.

For information on ways to help fight hunger, individuals and corporate entities can visit www.foodbanknyc.org or www.secondharvest.org. Food Bank volunteers will also be present in Coney Island on July 4th, collecting donations from the crowd.

We tend to jump to conclusions don't we?
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 19:36:43 (permalink)
Since when did eating become a "sport"? I don't think it qualifies as such. Of course I watched it via YouTube, if not a sport, it has become an American tradition. We expect it on July 4, just as much as we do our Chinese fireworks.

What would our forefathers say about such goings on? It is true they were a lusty fun loving lot for the most part, but also a dead serious lot as well. I think the approval level among them would be low. Just a guess, but I think I am right.

Anyway, this stuff does not go very far back into history, 1920's is about it. The Roaring Twenties was all about having fun after a hideous war. We had flagpole sitters, goldfish eaters and yes, hot dog eating competitions and the like. The only thing that remains though is the hot dog competition because it is corporate sponsored.

Where are the flagpole sitters and goldfish eaters? Gone to dust, everyone, the next decade fixed that. Yet we still have the hot dog eating competition, lush with corporate sponsorship.

I just wonder what our forefathers would have thought about such a corporate tradition on their sacred fourth of July. What do you think?
Pigiron
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 22:05:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

Since when did eating become a "sport"?

I'm with you on that one, too. It goes on my list of a lot of other things that don't pass my sports litmus test (like driving a car and riding a horse).
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 22:07:41 (permalink)
Greyghost - Oh course competitive eating is a sport! It's on ESPN isn't it?

Foodbme....The natural casing provides fiber to the diet. I'm sure the next day worked out fine for Joey! Just the thought turns my stomach.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 22:31:53 (permalink)
At the risk of sounding naive, and allowing my freak flag to fly, I can't understand competitive eating. Whether they witness it or not, it's an affront to the world's hungry.

The Bear
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 22:39:35 (permalink)
quote:

Since when did eating become a "sport"? I don't think it qualifies as such. Of course I watched it via YouTube, if not a sport, it has become an American tradition. We expect it on July 4, just as much as we do our Chinese fireworks.

What would our forefathers say about such goings on? It is true they were a lusty fun loving lot for the most part, but also a dead serious lot as well. I think the approval level among them would be low. Just a guess, but I think I am right.

Anyway, this stuff does not go very far back into history, 1920's is about it. The Roaring Twenties was all about having fun after a hideous war. We had flagpole sitters, goldfish eaters and yes, hot dog eating competitions and the like. The only thing that remains though is the hot dog competition because it is corporate sponsored.

Where are the flagpole sitters and goldfish eaters? Gone to dust, everyone, the next decade fixed that. Yet we still have the hot dog eating competition, lush with corporate sponsorship.

I just wonder what our forefathers would have thought about such a corporate tradition on their sacred fourth of July. What do you think?

Don't limit your thinking to the 4th of July. Think about all the other holidays we've bastardized starting with Christmas, Easter, Holloween-the biggest booze sales holiday next to New Years--you name it. If there's mpney to be made, we're there!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 22:45:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:

I'm with you on that one, too. It goes on my list of a lot of other things that don't pass my sports litmus test (like driving a car and riding a horse).

By definition, Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
Pigiron
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 23:05:28 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

By definition, Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

I said it didn't pass MY litmus test. Car driving and horse racing are not sports in my book. I grant that my opinions about sports (among a lot of other things) are in the minority. But accoring to your definition, things like: Dungeons and Dragons; Bingo; Chutes and Ladders; American Idol; Crossword Puzzle Competitions; Iron Chef; and Beer Quarters are sports.

I also don't consider competitions like gymnastics, diving, figure skating, and ski jumping to be sports solely because the only way to pick a winner is by subjective vote.

Competitive eating fails every test.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/07 23:36:23 (permalink)
Baz - There's nothing wrong with US rooting for our country right now! We have too many bashers today. Joey Chestnuts kicked butt! He gutted out that victory. He willed himself to eat those last few hot dogs..he really did. I admired that; I am being dead serious.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1744
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/08 00:35:27 (permalink)
quote:

You have to give the guy who came up with this idea some credit. I remember seeing this disgusting exhibition get started several years ago. There is this tall slender guy, who declared himself the Commissioner of Competitive Eating.

He's built this thing up and he's making money now. Hey, good for him. The fact that ESPN actually televises this farce each July 4th is a credit to him. Anyone know the guy's name?

Finally I know something. George Shea is the founder of the International Federation of Competitive Eating. www.ifoce.com

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/08 08:49:05 (permalink)
That's right..thank you..George Shea.

tommyeats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/08 09:11:09 (permalink)
quote:

While "competitive eating" is fun to watch in a disgusting kind of way, I think glorifies gluttony and waste.

so does the way millions of people in this country eat every day.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/08 10:01:02 (permalink)
Foodb... nice info about what kind of Nathan's dog they use!

About the hunger issue... nice of Nathan's to make those donations, and collect others.

What is that story about "give a man a fish"? I saw a show on TV where they sent milk goats to some hungry folks in Africa. The kids now had milk to drink, and there was goat meat now and then. Why does that not happen more? And, if anyone lives where a goat can't survive, we need to help them find a new place to live.
Joe
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 237
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/08 10:42:57 (permalink)
I just think competitive eating runs counter to Roadfood values -- the enjoyment of really good food, not just gorging at high speed, rendering taste and flavor meaningless.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/08 23:30:48 (permalink)
I was at the Nathan's in Coney Island today. Now I start to see why they now charge $2.95 (and probably sales tax on top of that) for a hot dog. The supermarkets here this week are all selling a 12 oz pack (6 franks) of Nathans natural casing franks on deal for $2.50
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/09 00:06:39 (permalink)
quote:

Amen. $$ could be spent in such better fashion. If one could just get over their advertising dollars and do the right thing.

Also, here on Roadfood.. Alot of folks here have deep pockets. Be nice to see a city or nationwide food drive going. I know I'm blowing alot of hot air and wishing, but it's seriously possible.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/09 02:46:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

I was at the Nathan's in Coney Island today. Now I start to see why they now charge $2.95 (and probably sales tax on top of that) for a hot dog. The supermarkets here this week are all selling a 12 oz pack (6 franks) of Nathans natural casing franks on deal for $2.50

So what's your point? Individual anythings are always more expensive in a restaurant than a supermarket. Steak in restaurant-$15-50. Steak in Supermarket- $ 6.99 t0 12.99 a pound. HELLO. 1 Coke in a restaurant- $2.00. 6 pack in a supermarket- $2.50. DUH!
$2.95 for a Nathan's Hot Dog on the Boardwalk at the Original Nathan's in Coney Island----Priceless!!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/09 02:49:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

Amen. $$ could be spent in such better fashion. If one could just get over their advertising dollars and do the right thing.

Also, here on Roadfood.. Alot of folks here have deep pockets. Be nice to see a city or nationwide food drive going. I know I'm blowing alot of hot air and wishing, but it's seriously possible.

I don't know who you know who has deep pockets but it ain't me! I'm sure there are more shallow pockets than deep pockets by a long shot.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/11 20:05:52 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

So what's your point? Individual anythings are always more expensive in a restaurant than a supermarket. Steak in restaurant-$15-50. Steak in Supermarket- $ 6.99 t0 12.99 a pound. HELLO. 1 Coke in a restaurant- $2.00. 6 pack in a supermarket- $2.50. DUH!
$2.95 for a Nathan's Hot Dog on the Boardwalk at the Original Nathan's in Coney Island----Priceless!!!

They are not offering any combo meals at Coney Island. Two franks, fries, a drink cost you about $11.00. A free condiment bar has mustard, ketchup, relish, and sauerkraut available. Chili and cheese are extra.

In my post of 02/17/2007 about prices at the Papaya King at 86th Street and 3rd Avenue in Manhattan, I included this line:
'Two franks with kraut or onions or relish, fries, 16 oz drink: $5.69'

Nathan's put coupons in the newspaper in May good for 1 or 2 franks at 99 cents each.

My point is that they have to get the money to operate the hot dog eating contest from someone.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/11 20:23:48 (permalink)
The Nathan's at the Menlo Park Mall had a special from Friday to Monday; 3 franks for $3.33 provided you buy fries. Not a bad deal. Don't know if they still are doing this, but they were as of last year. While most Nathan's are hit or miss, this one is as good as Coney Island.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/11 22:35:49 (permalink)
David-NYC
"My point is that they have to get the money to operate the hot dog eating contest from someone.'

Obviously, you don't understand the Advertising Game. The cost of running that 4th of July gig is MINISCULE to the amount of free publicity and free advertising they receive. Aside from Giving 100,000 Hot Dogs to the NY Foodbanks, I would guess they spend less than $50K to run it. They have the stage, banners etc already paid for from previous years. It's a FRACTION of 1%,I'm sure for the coverage they receive. To get the Publicity they get from this event, which is free by the way, they would need to spend MILLIONS of Dollars. And then on top of that, they get paid by ESPN for the rights to cover it. There is absolutely no connection between this promotion and the cost of one of their Hot Dogs at that location. The Cost of a Hot Dog at any one of their locations should be directly related to the cost of doing business at that location. Granted, they may get a little more for a meal, but isn't that true of any famous location of any highly publicized place like for example, Carnegie Deli or Stage Deli, or Tavern on the Green. So if you don't want to pay Tourist prices, then go to a street vendor. " />
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1