hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2008/07/05 01:04:08 (permalink)

hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island

Boy does this irritate me!. Here is an article I cut the center out of because it was just more of the first paragraph on how good the fireworks were. I love fireworks and owned an explosive company for years, in fact I still have a federal license and an Illinois state dynamite license. But when I got to the end of the article I was blown away by the way the author handled the U.S Hot Dog eating championship at Coney Island in New York today. Instead of congratulations to the new American winner it became a pity party for the former 6 time winner from Nagano,Japan. And only mentioned in passing that it was very close and Californian Joey Chestnut won in a second contest breaking the tie. Why is it written in a manor supporting someone from a foreign country instead of OUR HOT DOG EATING CHAMPION????

US marks Independence Day with fireworks, revelry
Jul 4, 10:39 PM (ET)
By COLLEEN LONG
(AP) Fireworks explode over the Manhattan skyline during the 32nd annual Macy's Fourth of July fireworks...

NEW YORK (AP) - The nation's largest fireworks display exploded in a spectrum of color over the East River, temporarily stealing the spotlight from New York's world-famous skyline and helping to create a brilliant end to a day of July Fourth celebrations nationwide.

A nearby wildfire prompted the cancellation of a fireworks display in Santa Barbara County, Calif. Communities across the parched state called off similar events because of fears that they could start fires.

And it wouldn't be July Fourth without the annual hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island in New York. This year was another heartbreaker for longtime champion Takeru Kobayashi of Nagano, Japan.

He was trying to reclaim his title after a disappointing three-dog loss last year to Californian Joey Chestnut shattered his six-year winning streak. But it was not to be: Chestnut made it two wins in a row, beating Kobayashi in a tiebreaker.

62 Replies Related Threads

brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 01:34:43 (permalink)
    This was Nathans?
    I dont see it as not giving credit when due but more honoring a fallen 6X champ, Plus hotdogs arent something he grew up on. I wonder if we could beat the japanese at home in a sushi eating contest(chop sticks required!)
    Remember the way Paul Newman got sick on hardboiled eggs? Reading the champions list I saw a 95 lb oriental girl that went way past where he had to quitbritt
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 06:57:40 (permalink)

Where's the ketchup?
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 08:18:40 (permalink)
    Hotdog-Gal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 09:27:07 (permalink)
    Great contest! I was screaming for Joey Chestnut last year and this year. Gotta have both guys in the contest as nobody else comes close. Lots of fun.
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 09:38:43 (permalink)
    You gotta give it to these guys.

To be tied at 59 hot dogs with buns and all at the end of ten minutes and then to have to eat 5 more as fast as possible after putting your mouth and stomach to the limit is quite remarkable.
    HPlatz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 09:38:52 (permalink)
    I relish this contest.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 09:48:02 (permalink)
    GO USA!! GO USA!! GO USA!!

Dr "Q" I'm down with you! It's about time something went right for this country in the past year! Thanks Joey! You came through and yes, you did want it more! He was actually asked what he thought was the difference maker. Luckly, I was just surfing the channels and as fate would have it, I caught the start of this great sporting event on ESPN! It was almost as amazing as it was disgusting.

The skills these contestants displayed were just awesome. Years and years of training and dedication to their craft. And, overtime no less! Some one suggested that rather than eating 5 more dogs in a minute or so, they should have both been challanged to run a mile on the beach to see who got the prize. Not a bad idea. Can you imagine what the morning after is like for these two?

One thing I'd really like to know is if the hot dogs they used were the natural casing ones(their top of the line) or those nasty skinless dogs that they pass off on unsuspecting supermarket customers. Anyone have any idea? This is a question even the great John Fox might not have an answer for.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 09:58:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brittneal
    I dont see it as not giving credit when due but more honoring a fallen 6X champ, Plus hotdogs arent something he grew up on. I wonder if we could beat the japanese at home in a sushi eating contest(chop sticks required!)
    Remember the way Paul Newman got sick on hardboiled eggs? Reading the champions list I saw a 95 lb oriental girl that went way past where he had to quit britt

The current champion is an American!!!!! The 6 year run by Takeru Kobayashi of Nagano, Japan, should be duly noted but we have taken the title back. A Japaneses sushi eating contest is not the issue, nor is what anyone grew up eating. What in the world does what you grew up eating have to do with anything? And then you drag in a movie as if Cool hand Luke were a true story or actually happened ????? Where is the national pride on the reporter's part. It's the 4th of July, and a long standing American traditional contest, for gods sake. Everyone in this country should have been cheering Joey Chestnut on to victory. Granted it's a hot dog eating contest but what if it were some type of sports event like an international track meet? Would you think the American press (AP) should down play our win and bemoan the former wins by Japan? This story is just further proof that the press thinks everything we do in this country is wrong, in some shape or form.

Jack

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 10:04:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hot Dog King
    Here is the link to ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3473708

Yes and they drag a doctor in to the report " In fact, it's downright bad for your health, says Dr. Marc Siegel, a professor at New York University School of Medicine".

"Hot dogs are extremely unhealthy, especially when eaten at high volume," he said. "They're really processed, they have high cholesterol and too much salt."

And thanks to the quantities the competitors ate, they'll likely suffer nausea, bloat, headache, and possibly high blood pressure for several days as the body slowly digests the food.

"One is bad for you, five's worse and 50 is terrible," he said.

What BS.
    Jack
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 10:17:10 (permalink)
    Jack---check your blood pressure and relax---its a hot dog eating contest,not WW2.
    Unkle Lunkle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 10:28:06 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

And thanks to the quantities the competitors ate, they'll likely suffer nausea, bloat, headache, and possibly high blood pressure for several days as the body slowly digests the food.

I'm quite certain an "upward purge" takes place immediately afterwards.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 11:22:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Baah Ben

GO USA!! GO USA!! GO USA!!

"One thing I'd really like to know is if the hot dogs they used were the natural casing ones(their top of the line) or those nasty skinless dogs that they pass off on unsuspecting supermarket customers. Anyone have any idea? This is a question even the great John Fox might not have an answer for.
    "

I've emailed Nathans and will post the answer IFthey reply
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 11:41:55 (permalink)
    i have woundered for years if they used the ones with casings
    it was a sad day when costco changed to no casing dogs
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 11:49:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon

Where's the ketchup?

On top of Kobayashi's head?
    But seriously, I wonder how much Heinz paid to sponsor the event? I noticed a bottle of their ketchup in front of every contestant.. I'm surprised one of the contestants wasn't paid off to stop during the competition and pour some on, then resume with the challenge.

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 14:03:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

Jack---check your blood pressure and relax---its a hot dog eating contest,not WW2.

LMAO Sorry your correct. It's just that I'm very proud
    of our country.And in my heart I know many in the press
    do their best to slam the USA very chance they get.
    Jack

Ok.....I put down my flag and I'll get off my soapbox
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 14:14:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

quote:

LMAO Sorry your correct. It's just that I'm very proud
    of our country.And in my heart I know many in the press
    do their best to slam the USA very chance they get.
    Jack

Ok.....I put down my flag and I'll get off my soapbox

Dr BBQ,
    DON'T put your flag down and get back on your soap box. If we don't express our patriotism, what will our kids hear----nothing about the values of being a Patriotic American. They'll be buried in pathetic non-American mush!
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 14:15:37 (permalink)
    I saw this on AP wire:

"The competitors are taking a tremendous risk with their health", noted nutrition expert Dr. Irving Seltzer

"Hot dogs are extremely unhealthy, they contain dangerous nitrates and of course sodium and animal by products" he said. "There is a small risk of a sudden cardiac condition called Mychoinfraction Embolism which causes death. The medium term risk includes nausea, bloat, diarreha, an oily discharge, headache, and possibly high blood pressure for several days as the body slowly digests the food.
    The long term risk? God only knows." he said shaking his head.

Disgusting I say in these days of expensive food to be so wasteful

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 14:21:47 (permalink)
    quote:

tiki, thanks for saying what I was thinking.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 14:24:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HPlatz

I relish this contest.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 14:31:49 (permalink)
    59-60 dogs. Whew! My personal best: 6 Sabrett dogs with mustard and onion sauce from a cart on 5th Avenue about 45 years ago. I didn't set any time records either. I "relished" every dog, along with the 3 bottles of YooHoo that washed it all down.
    I'm very proud of that achievement. Today, I'd be lucky to down, 2 dogs.

Ok, back to the contest...........
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 14:36:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bdtn

i have woundered for years if they used the ones with casings
    it was a sad day when costco changed to no casing dogs

I'd be willing to bet they used the same (great) skin on dogs Nathan's serves over the counter in Coney Island.

Anybody know for sure?
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1876
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 15:30:27 (permalink)
    Hello all,

Congrats to Joey Chestnutt for keeping the mustard belt in the USA !!!!!!
    We have been known to eat between 10 - 15 dogs on the Jersey Hot Dog Tours , no longer since surgery , but that was a lot of dogs those guys ate . And then OT. How cool was that

Benzee
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 15:40:47 (permalink)
    Dr "Q"...We must "press" on in spite ot them...

I did not realize that Heinz was sponsoring this event. Oh boy....Don't get me started on that subject....

Hoping to hear about the natural casing question. Foodbme - thanks for the effort to find out. G-D I use to love going out to Nathan's and getting two off that griddle with those great fries. You know I believe they use a high starch waxy Maine or Michigan (Eastern) potato..Normally, that would not yield a great fry, but the taste (they use to fry in peanut oil) was so great.

Today, at their franchise or store owned units in these malls, I'm wondering if they are still doing their fries from scratch or are they coming in frozen? Anyone? If you look in the back kitchen, you do see baskets of fries that look like they've pre-blanched them so maybe they are still doing it the right way?

Sorry to digress a bit from what was a truly great sporting event....
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 17:48:51 (permalink)
    The franchise stores that I have visited were all using frozen fries and only one was serving natural casing dogs.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 19:20:51 (permalink)
    I watched the whole Hot Dog eating contest and was disgusted by something shown near the end of the show.

It was a Heinz commercial showing a little girl just pouring the ketchup on her hot dog.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/05 19:41:36 (permalink)
    signman... She tried, but the pump container was empty... Then the evil ketchup bottle escaped and tracked her down. Had nightmares last night about a ketchup bottle chasing me down..
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/06 09:37:47 (permalink)
    At this point, the contest is one big infomercial for Nathan's frankfurters and other licensed food products. It supports national sales of the products. If you go to Coney Island, you see that huge sign on the side of the restaurant about the hot dog contest all year long. It is primarily meant to be seen by the ESPN cameras.

You see sacks of fresh potatoes at Coney Island. Natural casing franks as well. I don't know what they serve the contestants.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/06 11:05:59 (permalink)
    You have to give the guy who came up with this idea some credit. I remember seeing this disgusting exhibition get started several years ago. There is this tall slender guy, who declared himself the Commissioner of Competitive Eating.

He's built this thing up and he's making money now. Hey, good for him. The fact that ESPN actually televises this farce each July 4th is a credit to him. Anyone know the guy's name?
    hutt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: hot-dog eating competition at Coney Island 2008/07/06 11:20:22 (permalink)
    On July 4th I had my Boar's Head dogs (in the casing) SMOTHERED in Heinz Ketchup - YEOW they were great!
    Oh well! You don't have to use the stuff if you don't like it.
    LOADS of ketchup gets used on those dogs at Coney Island, too.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1