The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

how long is your electrical shore power wire for power?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38
chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 06/15/12 2:36 PM (permalink)
Trent's back

Yy

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
    Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Sat, 06/16/12 7:02 PM (permalink)
    roh roh

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Sat, 06/16/12 8:33 PM (permalink)
      RCDoggin
      Dr, are you serious?  Look at the condition of the rig and the attention to detail.  Do you really believe this man (or woman) would be going down the road with a cord beating against the side of it?

As for the silliness, that's just the attitude to have regarding safety around people.  You rip him for not having a feature in an area the pic doesn't even show.  Do you want to share accurate, positive  info or be the know-it-all with, as you said yourself, a hot end in your hand.  Just brilliant.

Hell yes I was serious look at the picture. How are you going to secure it while traveling?

As for regarding safety around people, that's a joke. First I don't believe it's my job to protect people from themselves. But that said I have done a ton of events and never had anyone touch in anyway a power cord. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to that. “I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure - which is: Try to please everybody.” Herbert Bayard Swope (first recipient of the Pulitzer Prize for Reporting in 1917)

<message edited by Dr of BBQ on Sun, 06/17/12 1:29 PM>

kingofcreams

• Total Posts: 111
        Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Tue, 06/19/12 11:05 AM (permalink)
        PurpleCheetah

I see how it works now had to print it out to take along on my re shopping trip, thanks

your welcome. Glad I can be of some assistance.

My thoughts on theft of a cord like this are: if someone has it in their mind that they are going to steal your cord, there gonna steal your cord. At most places I go to there is no locked box on the shore power side so all a person would have to do is unplug it from there and take your cord. Even if the twist lock end was in a locked box all they would have to do is cut the cord. Any cutting pliers would go through it. Some would even do it hot if they really wanted it. Besides, although cords are very expensive and noone wants to lose one, I am much more worried about the loss of all my ice cream and refer'd foods that I'd lose if someone were to steal my cord. Like I said, it would be unavoidable once someone has decided to steal your cord. As for the swinging around. I mounted a conduit clamp to the side of my rig which prevents it from swinging around.

scott2152

• Total Posts: 1
          Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Thu, 06/20/13 5:57 PM (permalink)
          Jack,

You seem extremely knowledgeable. If you could provide me with any info it would be greatly appreciated!!
           I just purchased a trailer with 50 AMP service.  When you go to a fair or festival what is the usual length of cord they require?  Where would you suggest a good place to purchase one? Do they usually provide cord covers if the connection passes a walkway or do you provide them? 

Thank you for any info you can provide!
          Scott

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
            Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 06/21/13 6:23 AM (permalink)
            In one of my trailers i run 30 amp so I have two 50ft cords.easier to carry than 100 ft.
            In my other I have 50 amp but Have been running 30 amp.If your running 30 amp then 8/3 will be good buy the cord you don't save making it yourself.I looked!Get two 50 fter's easier to carry and wipe the mud off when rolling it back up.Get yourself one of those garden hose reels and keep the cord stored on it,pretty slick!

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Sat, 06/22/13 8:22 AM (permalink)
              scott2152

Jack,
              You seem extremely knowledgeable. If you could provide me with any info it would be greatly appreciated!!
              I just purchased a trailer with 50 AMP service.  When you go to a fair or festival what is the usual length of cord they require?  Where would you suggest a good place to purchase one? Do they usually provide cord covers if the connection passes a walkway or do you provide them? 

Thank you for any info you can provide!
              Scott

Scott,
              First buy the correct wire, are you running a 3 or 4 wire system. Most trailers and trucks run a 4 wire system which includes a ground that runs back to the electrical source. And some events require a four wire system here in Illinois.

I use a single 100 foot cord but two fifty's is a good idea (as per above) as long as your not in an area where wire theft is a problem.

When you mention "cord covers" I'm not sure what you mean? I work some events where my water hose goes across a sidewalk and the event people throw a piece of carpet over it. I don't like it but after several years no problems. 

If your talking about one of these:

They are expensive. But your most likely over thinking , or worrying about something that you need not worry about. Remember your not the first vendor to be at the event and what ever you'll be doing someone else has done before. And usually the event people have figured out how to make the event safe and protect the people that attend. Ask before you sign up if there are any special needs that are required by your team.

Monday I'm going to a meeting at our local DAV to inspect their kitchen for an event they want me to do July 4th/fireworks show. If the kitchen is as new and up to date as they say I'm not even taking my trailer I'll just pre-cook everything and the day of the event work with their equipment. Should be a good event. 

Good luck
              Jack

Midnights

• Total Posts: 186
                Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Mon, 02/17/14 11:42 PM (permalink)
                Dr of BBQ

"if you have two male ends on a cord you will be shut down in 1 second by any onsite electical inspector."

That may be true is some areas but not all

"What I have is a small section of cable wired directly to my service panel to the outside with a male on it" 

That's the same thing. LOL

I don't understand why it would be the same thing. The hook-up for my generator would be female. My inlet (much like an RV) would be male. This would mean I either have a short cable with a female end to plug into the inlet on the truck and a male end to plug into the generator output, or I would have a cable with a male end hardwired into my truck. Either way, the truck would have a male end connecting it to its power source.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com