how much

Author
roadhash
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2012/02/07 17:53:19 (permalink)

how much

Been given a rare opportunity and have a few questions.Have been given a chance to be the sole food vendor at  5 outdoor events that are expected to draw 20000 persons or more in a 3 or 4 day event. Plan on setting up 2 food tents at each event.Spent twenty years in white table cloth establishments as chef/manager,but this is new to me.Don't want to run out of food but  don't want to overstock either. I know there are alot of variables but I don't type well enough to list them.Food quantities are my main concern.Any ideas?thanks rick

12 Replies Related Threads

lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:how much 2012/02/07 18:29:23 (permalink)
    You can push out only X amount of product per hour. Matters not how many are there. That's your max.
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re:how much 2012/02/07 20:12:54 (permalink)
    I don't think I would want to be the only food vendor with 20000 people
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:how much 2012/02/07 20:18:51 (permalink)
    Kurt your comment made me smile and I'm with you.
    You'd sure make a lot of people mad. One vendor for
    that number is silly.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:how much 2012/02/07 21:51:24 (permalink)
    Hi Rick, welcome to Roadfood. If someone was hiring me for this large of an event, they would be hiring my company to provide multiple food booth locations offering an array of different food varieties. Is this the case, or are you a one man band ???? if the event coordinator is hiring one person/ booth to handle this, then they are wrong in doing so. I would find someone who attended this event last year and get the low down on what went on. I would also talk with the event person in charge and ask a lot of questions. .............Take care...............pnwc
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:how much 2012/02/08 17:49:17 (permalink)
    What are you planning on serving? You get this event done right, your future is unlimited, good luck to you, and please post your menu ideas.
    roadhash
    Junior Burger
    Re:how much 2012/02/09 08:39:31 (permalink)
    thanks for your feedback.Not crazy enough to try this alone.I have a hardworking crew of six.If i had the people and cash I think being the only company at the event would be marvelous.As it stands what I shall probably do is operate one location serving phillies,sausage,wings ,and a couple of other common staples.I still have control of what comes in for competition
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:how much 2012/02/09 11:38:20 (permalink)
    Let us not forget the #1 rule (#2 & #3) of Events.... Event promoters lie.
    crepeflipper
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:how much 2012/02/12 22:46:28 (permalink)
    Last years was our first year with our food cart.  We went to an event that told us to prepare to feed 2,000 at our crepe cart.  That can't be done in one day for the two of us, so we scales way back.  Another cart drank the koolaid and bought pasta for 2,000, made the sauce etc.  Pouring rain, we barely made our rent plus a bit.  The other cart lost their shirt.  Also  first year cart.
    What we learned:
    1) how many of last years vendors are coming back - if few - that tells you something
    2) If the event coordinator is not planning for a lot of food what else don't they know?  Permits? Portapotties? Power Getting associated with a bad event is not a good thing.
    3) talk with the health department about their needs, any temp licenses, setups, etc.
    4) talk with your insurance company.

Sometimes somethign too good to be true often is.
    roadhash
    Junior Burger
    Re:how much 2012/02/17 06:03:27 (permalink)
    thanks for the advice.been talking to heath dept in 5 states.In speaking with the event coordinator I've found I have questions he hasn't yet considered.Making me a little apprehensive.The owner of the venue always seems to pull things off and draws a good crowd.Caution is the watchword.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:how much 2012/02/17 07:39:42 (permalink)
    A multi day event gives you some room with regards to stock.  You can be a bit agressive on your quantities first day, as long as your cooking on site.  Be conservative on what you pre prep the first day, but be ready to work long after event hours the first day if you need to up your next day prep.  Have a runner available and have pre chosen locations for supplies if they are needed in a hurry.  You might have a good opportunity if you have complete control of F&B for the event.  We do all beverages and ice exclusively.  Hire a good variety of others for complimenting food items.  We use only coupons here.  Its very common, and allows you to have complete financial control.  We pay out in cash same day of the event on redeemed coupons to the other vendors.  We provide the covered eating area table busing for that area, and covered areas for the other vendors.  Soft drinks and water are usually thru a distributor here that we contract with, and they bring all the necessary fountain equipment and if the event is big enough an on location truck for ice.  All the other vendors can get ice for their own use also.
    roadhash 
    I still have control of what comes in for competition 

I'm mentioning all this as we stumbled into an opportunity like this some years back and it worked out quite well when we took the bull by the horns and did the whole thing ourselves, also got us more business with the venue and others thru the bev distributor.
    roadhash
    Junior Burger
    Re:how much 2012/02/17 12:45:17 (permalink)
    If these 5 events go well this year there'll be 18 to 20 next year.A very good friend is the event coordinator so I do have control of f&b.Friend or not if it doesn't go smoothly and customers are not properly served and happy I'll have wasted time ,money,and effort.The worst part would be the reflection on my friend who's sticking his neck out .Consequently I'll be bringing in a few other vendors at least for the first two events.First event is in Indianapolis third week in may.Great input, gotta run.
    apul
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:how much 2012/02/21 06:26:54 (permalink)
    The first person I would call is the the person who had the contract before or who has worked with the organizer before. You want references from them.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1