i-80

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
rouxdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: i-80 2007/12/09 16:58:39 (permalink)
SEEMS PROGRESS IS BEING MADE.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4625
RE: i-80 2007/12/09 20:47:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by goodeatsfan

does it go through the mts at all?

Look at the links. Hwy 50 is THE best route through the Rockies. Awe inspiring.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15278
RE: i-80 2007/12/09 21:02:49 (permalink)

RE US 50 in Colorado. Yes it does go thru some beautiful Rocky Mountain Scenery. It runs very close to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. In Montrose you turn south onto US 550 to Durango via Ouray and Silverton. In March that will be "interesting" if the weather goes bad...but it is one of the most scenic of mountain roads in the USA. West from Durango you go beside Mesa verde another great place to 'visit'.
The "Lonliest Road in the U S A " label for U S 50 refers to it's route straight across the emptiest part of Nevada.
Check out my Trip report on our run thru that area in 2006. It may help you in route decisions.
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12910
sigerson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: i-80 2007/12/10 01:58:19 (permalink)
Rouxdog, I agree that the Heartland is far from boring and I half agree that I-80 across Nebraska is not boring, but I sure wish there were less of it. What others see as empty, I see as spelendid isolation.

Goodeatsfan, if you switch back to I-80, consider Johnny's Cafe in Omaha, a classic, big-city steakhouse from an earlier era. Also, the Runza chain of sandwich places, unique to Nebraska.

I-70? Brookville Hotel in or near Abilene, Kansas. It's historic, but I hear the food went downhill after the move from Brookville.

KC. Plenty of BBQ places. I'm partial to the Smokestack, but others like Arthur Bryant's and Jack Stack.

Topeka. Pobursky (sp.) Grocery for the chili.

Salina. Cozy's Cafe, home of the small, cheap hamburgers laced with onions. Place is tiny and has character. Only six or seven seats at the counter.
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: i-80 2007/12/10 09:44:09 (permalink)
Fun local places to eat within a mile of I-70 include (East to West) Arthur Bryants in Kansas City MO, Fritz Railroad Restaurant in Kansas City KS, Hayes Hamburger & Chili in Lawrence KS, C.W. Porubsky Grocery & Meats in Topeka KS, The Cozy Inn in Salina KS, and Al's Chickenette in Hays KS. Those are all in very large communities, but they may have the feel you are looking for.

Brookville Hotel still serves great chicken and Smokestack has good BBQ, but I don't think they are the kind of places you are asking for.

Perhaps the finest meal at a "middle of nowhere" place along this route would be the Bunker Hill Cafe in Bunker Hill, KS (population 101). When you pull up in front of it, you may be tempted to just keep on going, but you would be passing up a great steak diner. http://www.kansastravel.org/bunkerhillcafe.htm

Keith
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: i-80 2007/12/10 15:53:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Voyageur I wish you well on your trip, goodeatsfan, but you should be looking at a U.S. road atlas, as you pursue this topic. Last I noticed, you could grab a good one at Walmart for under $5.00, which would show the topography of each route, with the elevations of passes given, etc. (Online maps often don't tend to show this info.)
Forget Wally World! I go to Big Lots and get one that's two or three years old for a DOLLAR. I also get something that Wal-Mart has forgotten since Sammy died, HELP FROM STORE STAFF, like where's a good Chinese place nearby. I recall back in the day (not quite when dinosaurs roamed the earth, but a while ago) when a retired sheriff's deputy drew me a map on the back of a paper bag at Wal-Mart, but those days are OVER!
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: i-80 2007/12/10 16:16:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sizz
quote:
Originally posted by goodeatsfan someone mentioned something about a cooler and being able to make coffee does anyone know what i would need to bring to make coffee in the middle of nowhere and what are some good thing to bring that will last 10 hours in a cooler
no more then $20 bucks
I think s/he was leaning more toward our friend the French Press: http://www.bizrate.com/coffeemakers/products__keyword--french+press+coffee+maker__nodum--1__nwylf--1.html

You can buy one of the plastic baskets to replace the filter on a Mr Coffee drip maker or Melitta filters and use them without the actual coffee maker, too.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: i-80 2007/12/10 16:30:21 (permalink)
If you marvel at engineering feats, as it pertains to highway infrastructure, then I-70 through the Rockies is a must. The Eisenhower Tunnel, then the Glenwood Canyon section of road headed into Glenwood Springs are sites to behold.
Voyageur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 400
RE: i-80 2007/12/10 17:10:02 (permalink)
And, Glenwood Springs has a two-block, yes, two-block long heated outdoor swimming pool and large hot springs soaking pool as large as most swimming pools open all winter. Absolutely awesome.

Right next to I-70 in middle of town.

Check it out: http://www.hotspringspool.com/ and http://www.hotspringspool.com/pool/
goodeatsfan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: i-80 2007/12/10 17:12:26 (permalink)
as of food and scenery which is better i-70 or i-50 or should i start at 1 and end up on the other because i do want to be on i-50 some of the way cuz i heard its great esp the mts but not the whole way cuz i think the speed limit is less then i-70.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: i-80 2007/12/10 17:27:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Voyageur

And, Glenwood Springs has a two-block, yes, two-block long heated outdoor swimming pool and large hot springs soaking pool as large as most swimming pools open all winter. Absolutely awesome.

Right next to I-70 in middle of town.

Check it out: http://www.hotspringspool.com/ and http://www.hotspringspool.com/pool/

I can't recommend that pool enough, particularly if you have children. That's one of my favorite all time establishments.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: i-80 2007/12/10 17:30:53 (permalink)
quote:

as of food and scenery which is better i-70 or i-50 or should i start at 1 and end up on the other because i do want to be on i-50 some of the way cuz i heard its great esp the mts but not the whole way cuz i think the speed limit is less then i-70.

Here is a view of the Glenwood Canyon on I-70. Absolutely amazing:

Voyageur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 400
RE: i-80 2007/12/10 21:22:11 (permalink)
Please stop it, tamandmik. You're making me want to drive down that road in mid-January!

rouxdog, that's the Denver, Rio Grande, & Western (now Union Pacific) on the other side of the Colorado River. As you may know, I-70 & the D,R.&W alternate sides for miles all the way to near Grand Junction, via a continuing series of bridges. You really have to pull off at turnouts to appreciate this route, as the highway often demands so much attention driving.

goodeatsfan, I'd definitely take U.S. 50 during the summer, because you can then detour via 550 through the San Juan Mountains via Ouray and Silverton to Durango and Mesa Verde--the "Million Dollar Highway." There's no way I'd want to do that spectacular route 550 with even a slight threat of snow. No guardrails and incredibly steep drops for miles.
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: i-80 2007/12/11 01:32:13 (permalink)
why do I get the feeling that goodeatsfan is just putting us all on.........
having some fun so to speak ....
hell this guy doesn't even have a map
nor does he know where the Rocky Mountains are................. lol
..... I think his real problem is not which road to take to LA
but whether or not his Mom and Dad
will let him use the family car
to take Betty Jo to the junior prom................
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: i-80 2007/12/11 04:42:41 (permalink)
Frank,
You may be correct...but the teacher in me says it is time for a bit of geography!!!

"Fan"
US 50 is NOT an interstate. It is part of the older US Highway network that predates the Interstate system by a generation (or two).It reaches from coast to coast. From my area (Indiana) it crosses Illinois and Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and California. It roughly parallels Interstate Rt 70, running a bit south of it most of it's length.
In Kansas and Colorado it passes thru some very scenice countryside, running beside the Arkansas River for several hundred miles. The mountain sections are outstanding travel views. However It Is Not Interstate Freeway. Much of it is two lane road. Good Two Lane, to be sure, but NOT FREEWAY.

Also- I-70 ends when it intersects the 15 in Utah. Since you are headed for SoCal. This should not be an issue for you. I would Not advise taking either road in January, unless you are an experienced winter driver. In march or April winter-driving can still be an issue. If you look at the visuals in my trip report, by mid- May the mountain areas still have some snow, but the worst of the einter weather is gone.

Now if this whole thread is just a troll for answers, I suggest that you buy a map...learn the highway numbering system....both the Interstate and the US Highways are in a logical pattern that can be learned with a little mental exercise on your part. That way when you see a number for a road, you get some idea of which way the road goes, and how it 'fits' into the system.
goodeatsfan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: i-80 2007/12/11 20:59:51 (permalink)
no i do know where all thouse places are i just dont know which 1 is better food wise and if 1 is better is it the whole part or just 1 section cuz ik i-70 is faster cuz i dont want this to take 2 weeks
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: i-80 2007/12/12 10:50:04 (permalink)

1. The Interstates are faster. If 'getting there' is the goal, then stick to the expressways.

2. If you travel in March or April, watch the weather forecasts DAILY. Things can change quickly in the mountains when a storm comes up. Be prepared with alternate routes in case that happens.

3. Unless you have done I-40 many times and are bored with the red-rock Desert drive, I would recommend I-40 as the primary route at least one direction. It is fast, and has a good compromise of length vs possible weather problems.

4. Depending on the timing of your return trip I would consider I-70 as the primary choice. It would offer some spectacular scenery, with several good side trips within easy reach. The weather would be a crapshoot, the later the date the less the concern about snow-problems. Even as a history buff and railfan I don't much care for I-80. We usually use U S 30 if we are going east/west in the Nebraska-Wyoming area. If you aren't on a 'wander the west' sort of trip you will be better off with #1,2,&3 above.

As far as food goes, use the Roadfood Books and print out the list of places that are within your range from whichever road you select. There is plenty of good food around all of those highways.
rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: i-80 2007/12/14 00:36:30 (permalink)
OK, living and enjoying life in New Mexico, we welcome good folks to our state. The I-40 route is safe while enjoying many interesting stops.
However, I'm somewhat of an adventurer whose adrenilin gets a rush for a bit of sensible excitement. I suggest the I-70 route, regardless of time of year and weather conditions. Be wise in packing, think sensibly,anticipate challenges.
This old medicare feller would take on this trip with enthusiasm because I KNOW I would conquer, and more importantly achieve my arrival goal.
Go for it!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: i-80 2007/12/14 07:09:00 (permalink)
Roux,
Since the person asking about the route is a young teenager, that means he is probably going to ride his bike the distance. I think it would be safer ride for him to do it down the median of I-40 than of I-70.
krisbaker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: i-80 2007/12/17 16:45:01 (permalink)
A few miles OFF I-80, but worth it:

The BEST breakfast in Utah: Layton, Utah at Doug & Emmy's in the old train station on South Main Street. Take the first Layton exit off I-15 (coming from SLC), and it'll be on your left.

Then order a DALE'S BREAKFAST. This is a HUGE "Utah scone" (frybread) with honey butter. then, a plate with your choice of eggs, meat and hashbrowns covered with peppery sausage SOS.

The Roadfood books always tell you to go to Mom's in Salina, Utah...but it's no match for Doug & Emmy's! (Mom's honey butter is full of wrong things like eggyolk to stretch the honey!)

If Doug & Emmy's is too busy, look across the street and you'll see Sill's (the sister restaurant). Same menu, but D&E is a bit better.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
RE: i-80 2007/12/17 16:51:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by krisbaker

A few miles OFF I-80, but worth it:

The BEST breakfast in Utah: Layton, Utah at Doug & Emmy's in the old train station on South Main Street. Take the first Layton exit off I-15 (coming from SLC), and it'll be on your left.

Then order a DALE'S BREAKFAST. This is a HUGE "Utah scone" (frybread) with honey butter. then, a plate with your choice of eggs, meat and hashbrowns covered with peppery sausage SOS.

The Roadfood books always tell you to go to Mom's in Salina, Utah...but it's no match for Doug & Emmy's! (Mom's honey butter is full of wrong things like eggyolk to stretch the honey!)

If Doug & Emmy's is too busy, look across the street and you'll see Sill's (the sister restaurant). Same menu, but D&E is a bit better.

krisbaker, I've heard wonderful things about Sills and their scones- I hope to check it out when I visit the Salt Lake City area next summer.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: i-80 2007/12/17 17:06:57 (permalink)
Krisbaker,
Thanks for the feedback. We need a bunch more reviews of stuff along the 15 and other places in Utah and Nevada. There are a lot of miles between many of the places we have covered in that area
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: i-80 2007/12/17 17:21:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

quote:

does it go through the mts at all?

Look at the links. Hwy 50 is THE best route through the Rockies. Awe inspiring.

Bill,

In posting the picture you have
totally messed up almost every posting
that follows it. You make everyone
have to scroll all the way across the
page because of a picture that is way
too wide. I know you didn't do this on purpose.

Bill, please delete the image.

Everyone else, please consider the consequences
of what you do.

Can the powers that be do anything to limit the size
of images?

Cakes
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: i-80 2007/12/17 17:33:39 (permalink)
Enforce the margins. Got it. So the awe inspiring panorama didn't touch your cold cold heart. This is the most unwelcoming board I've ever been on.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3755
RE: i-80 2007/12/17 18:01:45 (permalink)
Nahhh....I have seen some of the other boards that you are on, and there are some that are much more unwelcoming.

Oh...and the problem with pictures and/or links could also be attributed to the nature of this software. I have seen other boards where only the post where the photo or link that busts the margins is affected and the rest of the thread is fine.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: i-80 2007/12/17 18:08:52 (permalink)
Rather than suspend Bill for his obvious attempt to subvert the site...

We sentence him to hang California Tags (front and rear) on his car
and Place a "Governator for Presinator" bumper sticker in his rear window...
for a month. !!

I know that is a heavy penalty but we take Margin-Busting
seriously here in Hoosierland !!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13500
RE: i-80 2007/12/17 18:10:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

Nahhh....I have seen some of the other boards that you are on, and there are some that are much more unwelcoming.

Oh...and the problem with pictures and/or links could also be attributed to the nature of this software. I have seen other boards where only the post where the photo or link that busts the margins is affected and the rest of the thread is fine.

Traveling Man: Thanks for your support. It is not the intent of this forum to be unwelcoming. Perhaps some feel that way because they do not get the immediate response they want. Who KNows??? Maybe it is because the post or thread they post is not what folks want to hear. Again, Who knows.

Traveling Man, you do very good on this forum and we appreciate you help.

I wish you were coming up i-75 on your Christmas trip.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
RE: i-80 2007/12/17 18:29:06 (permalink)
I've been on boards where pictures posted that bust out the margins do get deleted. I've also been on boards where the moderators will fix the photo by downsizing them. I fail to understand why people post margin busting photos and don't fix them themselves. They have edit capability. Do they think it is cute?

Use this one.

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: i-80 2007/12/19 20:31:58 (permalink)
:)
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
RE: i-80 2007/12/19 22:52:31 (permalink)
Bill,

That's udderly obnoxious but don't you think a jackass would have been a more appropriate upload than cows?
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1