if i were to order italian beef...

Author
eyereenah
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/03/07 23:30:18 (permalink)

if i were to order italian beef...

where would i go? see... im in a bit of a dilemma and hoping to find help here. my boyfriend recently moved to austin from chicago and he is craving italian beef like no other. i found a few places online to special order/over night a package of the fixin's but im not sure where to order from seeing as how im not a meat eater to begin with, im not from chicago, and i want to surprise him.
here are the places i found...

portillos, serrelli street, dukes, and al's

price is really no big thing, they are all in the same range (averaging about 50 bucks) but i would hate to order from somewhere and it suck! anyone have any tips??

6 Replies Related Threads

Big_g
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 366
    RE: if i were to order italian beef... 2007/03/08 00:57:39 (permalink)
    Go to the Lucky Dog on Spicewood Springs...They used to have a couple of real nice Italian Beef Sandwichs on their menu.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: if i were to order italian beef... 2007/03/08 01:29:49 (permalink)
    Do to some strange license challenge, they had to drop the "Lucky Dog" name. They now go by Lucky's. The Spicewood Springs store is now something else, and the Pflugerville store is closed. The only one I know about now is the one in Round Rock.

http://www.luckyschicagostylegrill.com/

When I traveled for business, I regularly went to Chicago, so I think I can give a somewhat educated review on this place:

The hot dogs are genuine. They "import" all ingredients, and the dogs they serve here are as good as most places in Chi-town. (No place is better than Wiener's Circle, though.)

The Italian Beefs are marginal. Probably the best you can get here, but nothing like Al's or Mr. Beef.

Worth a stop, though. The owners are good people.
    Big_g
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 366
    RE: if i were to order italian beef... 2007/03/08 02:31:29 (permalink)
    Bushie,
    I've been gone too long, 18 mos., I used to hit the Spicewood Srings location for one of the Beef and Sausage sandwichs...real tasty. True, nothing like the real deal but it filled the niche and my belly :)
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: if i were to order italian beef... 2007/03/08 06:31:05 (permalink)
    If you are going to order, go with Portillo's. Aside from their sitdown restaurants they run a large catering business and know how to well pack and ship things,I've had their catered beefs several times in several different setups and the food travels well and comes with all the appropriate fixings. I never heard of Serrelli Street.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: if i were to order italian beef... 2007/03/08 09:26:19 (permalink)
    I definitely AGREE on Portillo's. Absolutely great beef and other food from a guy who started out his business in a little food wagon in the western suburbs of Chicago. Portillo's has been so very successful for very good reasons . . . their beef, ribs and other foods are really, really good. You can order their beef for great Italian beef sandwiches and get a food "package" that has their beef in a vacuum sealed package for freshness, and get some great au jus or gravy, along with crispy french bread and peppers, if you like. You warm up the au jus and then just quickly dunk the thin sliced beef in it just to quickly get it warm (very quickly), then scoop it out onto the bread (I dunk the whole sandwich a little into the au jus), and . . . enjoy some great beef sandwiches. I even order some of their great Italian sausage to make a "combo" sandwich with both beef and sausage. Check it out at http://www.portillos.com/store/
    eyereenah
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: if i were to order italian beef... 2007/03/09 22:54:53 (permalink)
    wow i didnt think we had a place to go to in austin... thanks! and thanks for the tips. happy eats! :)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1