Author
paul and louise
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
2003/11/25 16:24:53 (permalink)

indiana bbq

i tried this on "where to eat", without much luck
so here goes bbq folks...
the inlaws are coming to lex., ky for the holidays, from kc mo.
they heard of western ky bbq, in particular "moonlite"
owensboro is a bit to far off I-64
is there a joint serving this bbq style in evansville, or somewhere
reasonably close to the big road?
we have billy's bbq here in town...
should i just feed them this as a representation of owensboro Q?
does it hold up pretty close to moonlite in terms of quality and flavor?
i can pick up a jar of moonlite sauce at the local grocer, but the mutton would be a chore..........................................

8 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: indiana bbq 2003/11/25 17:00:40 (permalink)
    P and L Moonlite is about 40 minutes off the I-64 and is all expressway to within a mile of the place. If they don't want to come back to the Interstate in Indiana. After Dinner, continue south to the Western KY Parkway..go east on it for a most pleasant ride thru rural KY. It Changes to the Bluegrass Pkwy at E-Town. Despite the concept that homemade is better...trust me I like my own BBQ but Moonlite has a lot more variety and for less time and effort. I suggest they reconsider the side-trip.
    AL
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: indiana bbq 2003/11/25 17:54:20 (permalink)
    Paul And Louise,
    No Billy's anywhere beats the real Owensboro thing. I don't have to have been there (which I haven't managed, as of yet) to be able to tell you accurately that you need to put those visitors in the car and drive them to Moonlight. It's not really that far from Lexington through Louisville and over to Owensboro, and it's all either Interstate or Parkway... really an effortless jaunt. And worth every inch.
    While they're there, take them to Louisville to the Brown Hotel for a Hot Brown - and/or to Cincinnati for a five-way chili (I can personally recommend Camp Washington Chili).
    Let us know what they think of wherever you take them.
    UnKentuckyfied (And UnKentuckyFried!) At The Moment, But Missing That Area Badly, Ort. Carlton in Blue Grassless Athens, Georgia.
    Tom-Fl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: indiana bbq 2003/11/25 20:22:28 (permalink)
    Since they feel they are coming from the bbq center of the universe[KCMO],it will be difficult to impress them wherever you take them.

The Moonlight will be the only place in the state that will give an image as Bryant's or Gate's do in KCMO.

Although the Moonlight is an institution and you can gorge at the buffet,the locals might prefer Shady Rest or Old Hickory.

The original Billy worked the pits of west Ky,before his daddy bought him the original old Sunoco station there in Chevy Chase.

Capitol Barbecue there in Frankfort is also run by Billy's long time pitmaster.

Another option for west Ky style in Lexington is Mark's Feed Store.

Have them try the pie before they leave.

Tom
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4586
    RE: indiana bbq 2003/11/25 20:28:09 (permalink)
    Tell us more about Mark's Feed Store, Tom-Fi. Is it really a feed store, or formerly was, or?.....
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    RE: indiana bbq 2003/11/25 20:39:43 (permalink)
    as to mark's feed store....
    we had one here in lexington
    i emphasize "had"
    boarded up and moved away
    there mustard sauce is great...
    it can still be obtained at the local grocer
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    RE: indiana bbq 2003/11/25 20:47:56 (permalink)
    back to the topic at the top of page
    i'll tell them it's not that far to owensboro
    but it is 600 miles or so from here in lexington to kc
    i have done the drive-it aint fun
    still looking to see if alternative exists
    do we have any crossover people who have done the owensboro Q and billy's here in lex?
    is there such a thing as indiana Q
    itz purty darn close geographically but southern indiana seemed devoid on my trips through
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: indiana bbq 2003/11/25 22:49:49 (permalink)

Marks Feed Store Is NOT a feedstore...It is a cut below Tony Romas. There are several of them in Louisville and I won't bother to stop at one anymore if there is hope of real BBQ nearby. The sauce is good, but the ribs are not done on site in the stores I've been in..Frozen, nuked then a quick flip on the grill and dressed in sauce. I gave up on Tony Romas years ago, these come out of the same mold (all puns intended).
    I wish I could tell you of a mystery pit between Looavull and Evansville but I haven't found it yet myself. Stern's reviewed a couple of places in the E-ville area, but I haven't found time to locate and test them. I havn't tried Billy's but have done the Old Capital and enjoyed it, but Arthur Bryant's It ain't.
    When we get a taste for the Que we like to hit the buffet on wed and thursday at Moonlite, catfish is added to the menu those nights...and that makes for some fine regional chow !
    I would like to check out the local pits there...but my wife puts a gun to my head when I try to go somewhere else in Owensboro... She is a very strong woman!
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    RE: indiana bbq 2003/12/04 19:27:53 (permalink)
    gave up on the bbq
    we went out for japanese
    they had a little sushi to
    ...barbecued eel
    it definitely was not arthur's
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1