in-n-out is overrated

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
artphon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/07/06 06:10:05 (permalink)
I was in LA this winter and tried IN-N-OUT for the first time. I thought it was OK, but not worth the very long wait. The second time I tried a double and it was better. But still nowhere near as good as FATBURGER, which despite having become a small-sized chain, is still excellent I think (at least the one on the Santa Monica Promenade, which is the one I visit). I became hooked on the original FATBURGER at the intersection of La Cienega and San Vicente, late night, when I was a graduate student at UCLA in the 70's. They season fresh meat with salt and pepper, which makes it very tasty IMHO.

Rockbeast
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/23 14:17:15 (permalink)
I order my double-double animal style so it has more flavor than the standard style. They grill mustard into the burger, they grill the onions, and add extra sauce. You can 'animal style' the fries too. That means they add melted American 'cheese' and a bunch of their special sauce (pretty much like thousand island dressing). It looks awful, but I sure enjoy it from time to time. My standard order is Double-double animal style, order of fries (reg or crispy), Barq's rootbeer. If I'm really treating myself, I'll substitute a Chocolate shake.

It's fast food, but it's a great fast food burger. It's about the experience, it's about the helpful and happy workers (never saw a sullen teenager...maybe it's the higher wages?), it's about the fact that they almost always get the order exactly right. I have to go back and get my burger redone or 'fixed' many times at Micky D's, Wendys, etc.

And it's a tourist attraction. So, no your tastebuds won't reach angelic heights as you are carried away on waves of blissful culinary delights...but you will enjoy the burger and pick up a sticker for your guitar case (I've got two, the old and new style!) or bumper, and for about $11 you can pick up the current T-shirt! It's fun, they're nice, I feel good both going and coming from In-N-Out. Yeah, I'm a fan.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5046
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/23 14:25:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ertyu

no need to make rude commets ev1l

my in n out experiences were simply disappointing

everyone told me their burgers were great but they didn't taste better than your everyday whopper

i cringe when people say they want to eat out at in n out like it is some high quality burger business when it really doesnt offer anything special

and thanks for your post jennifer im glad to know there are other disatisfied in n out customers

Although I am a great fan of In-And-Out and, prefer them to all others, You have a 100% right to your opinion and I respect it. You are right. No one needs to make rude comments. We're all here for fun and information and to enlighten ourselves about what we "don't already know".
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/23 14:49:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

In N Out is an outstanding burger

No, its not. It's arguably the best fast food burger perhaps.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/23 15:01:15 (permalink)
When someone compares In-N-Out to a Whopper,Wendy's,White Castle,Gag in The Bag,or McDonalds it leads one to believe that the over salted twice cooked microwave burgers provided by the Big Boys have damaged your taste buds and the taste of real beef cannot be picked up anymore. It is so sad that without abstinence from these garbage products you shall never be able to taste real food again and it will appear bland. Try not eating fast food for about 3 months then try In-N-Out again and get back to us. The comments made about there fresh cut fries is proof that your taste buds have been destroyed. Its kind of like someone who quits smoking and at about the one month point they all say how much food tastes better. From a chain In-N-Out is as good as it gets...Russ
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1838
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/23 15:12:26 (permalink)
I've never been to an In-n-Out. Guess I'll have to try one when I come across one.

My kids love McDonalds. Drives me crazy. The burger patties are flavorless and I always ask for extra pickles and slather on mustard to give the things some taste.

I much prefer Fatburger if I'm eating at a chain and can't just grill my own at home.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7677
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/23 15:27:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by uncledaveyo

quote:

As far as I'm concerned, White Castle, Dicks Burgers, Kid Valley, and Rhode Island's own fast food burger-Stanley's blow it right out of the water...
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/23 15:29:44 (permalink)
At, In-N-Out, I feel like I'm getting a quality product. That's the byword here. "QUALITY PRODUCT". And, I genuinely like the whole experience. I do not get this same overall feeling about quality and enjoyment of the experience at the other fast food restaurants.
Russ Jackson
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/23 15:40:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Twinwillow

At, In-N-Out, I feel like I'm getting a quality product. That's the byword here. "QUALITY PRODUCT". And, I genuinely like the whole experience. I do not get this same overall feeling about quality and enjoyment of the experience at the other fast food restaurants.

I have eaten at In-N-Out 100s of times and have never had a stale bun,old onion,reheated burger,fries,unclean restroom, dining area, or poor personal service. These are tight run ships where the associates seem to care about there environment, co-workers and the customers. I find Culver's to have a similar standard. When was the last time you went to a clean McDonalds,Wendys,Hardees or God forbid Burger King?...Russ
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15183
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/23 18:23:22 (permalink)

I agree with you Russ ! Both In n Out and Culver's take "care" with your food.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10093
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/23 18:36:55 (permalink)
In-N-Outs are better than most but I agree they're overhyped. They ain't as good as the hype would like you to believe. I think it's as a result of the cult status they enjoyed before they went beyond CA's borders. Much like Coor's Beer back in the 70's. When you couldn't get Coors East of the Rocky Mountians, people back East would crave it. I traveled from the East coast to the West on business. My boss would have me take an extra suitcase that would hold 2 cases and bring it back for him! People crave what they can't have!
GNeedles59
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 09:25:58 (permalink)
Every time I go out and visit my friends in the LA and San Diego areas I make sure to eat my share on In-N-Out, their burgers are awesome. IMO they are superior to the generic taste of say a Big Mac, Whopper. or (gag) Baconator. I will be going to 5 Guys soon, so I can make that comparison. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion...
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3728
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 10:10:49 (permalink)
I really think that Foodbme's relation to Coors is spot on. I remember when I was a kid, a friend's dad got some "contraband" and it was revered. Now, Coors is considered to be no better (and in some parts, worse) than other massed produced products from A-B and Miller. There is some mystique to In-N-Out on the east coast.

That said, mystique only gets you so far. I am a fan of their attention to detail and quality. It is not that hard to make fresh-cut fries and use fresh beef. I think that what they do, they do well. Most of the people who claim them to be "overrated" are often comparing them to steakhouse burgers or tavern burgers. When compared to other fast food outlets, I think that they compare more than favorably.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 10:23:56 (permalink)
What is so special about any fast food burger?

The only reason I willl eat a Burger King is because at least it's broiled. When I am forced to get a fast food burger (Burger King) I always tell them I want one from the broiler..Not from that bin.

I think the most over-rated burger is Steak and Shake's burger, which tastes to me of a very high fat content. But, I do like their shakes.
uncledaveyo
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 10:28:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

quote:

As far as I'm concerned, White Castle, Dicks Burgers, Kid Valley, and Rhode Island's own fast food burger-Stanley's blow it right out of the water...

I think I'd agree with you, thats why I said arguably - was only trying to show some actual restraint for a change Have you tried In N Out's Cobb Salad burger combo?

Russ Jackson
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 10:30:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I really think that Foodbme's relation to Coors is spot on. I remember when I was a kid, a friend's dad got some "contraband" and it was revered. Now, Coors is considered to be no better (and in some parts, worse) than other massed produced products from A-B and Miller. There is some mystique to In-N-Out on the east coast.

That said, mystique only gets you so far. I am a fan of their attention to detail and quality. It is not that hard to make fresh-cut fries and use fresh beef. I think that what they do, they do well. Most of the people who claim them to be "overrated" are often comparing them to steakhouse burgers or tavern burgers. When compared to other fast food outlets, I think that they compare more than favorably.

Fresh cut fries and fresh ground burger is actually alot more difficult than using frozen precooked fries and patties. Additional prep areas and equipment are needed not to mention the hourly rate paid to prepare,clean each potato, weigh and form burgers, cleaning grinders, prep area etc. It is way easier and cost effective to use preformed frozen products shoved in some strange drawer to cook it in or a microwave to reheat with a shelf life of months instead of hours or days. In my opinion fast food places are a joke today and if Ray Crock, Dave Thomas, or The Colonel saw what they are serving today they would be very upset. When I was young McDonalds was spotless, frendly and food was hot. Today that just isnt the case....Russ
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 10:40:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

Fresh cut fries and fresh ground burger is actually alot more difficult than using frozen precooked fries and patties. Additional prep areas and equipment are needed not to mention the hourly rate paid to prepare,clean each potato, weigh and form burgers, cleaning grinders, prep area etc. It is way easier and cost effective to use preformed frozen products shoved in some strange drawer to cook it in or a microwave to reheat with a shelf life of months instead of hours or days. In my opinion fast food places are a joke today and if Ray Crock, Dave Thomas, or The Colonel saw what they are serving today they would be very upset. When I was young McDonalds was spotless, frendly and food was hot. Today that just isnt the case....Russ

Sadly, true.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 10:44:47 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think I'd agree with you, thats why I said arguably - was only trying to show some actual restraint for a change Have you tried In N Out's Cobb Salad burger combo?

Uncledaveyo- I just returned from Omaha last month- there is no doubt in my mind beyond a shadow of a doubt and no one can convince me otherwise where the best burgers are!

BTW, when I return to LA next year- if In n Out has the LA regional roadfood specialties of Smoothies and Sushi then I'm there!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 11:48:19 (permalink)
Oh yeah, wait to you see In-N-Out's new sushi menu!
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 11:55:35 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

It's a shame- why is it that all the cool places (at least the ones I like) go out of business?

hey there Happy wonderer makes a guy wonder about your taste in food .......doesn't it?

Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 12:21:29 (permalink)
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention their new Caesar Salad burger. With anchovies! Only in California, though.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 12:33:56 (permalink)
quote:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention their new Caesar Salad burger. With anchovies! Only in California, though.

That's their San Diego/Tijuana shop- right??
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 12:43:18 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

That's their San Diego/Tijuana shop- right??

You've been there!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 12:45:19 (permalink)
Sizz, are those girls professional, In-N-Out models?
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 12:53:34 (permalink)
quote:

no Twin, those sweet little creatures are Wonderingjew rejects.... it seams his taste in women is much like his taste in food ..... just awful ............. lol
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 12:55:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:

no Twin, those sweet little creatures are Wonderingjew rejects.... it seams his taste in women is much like his taste in food ..... just awful ............. lol

Hell, I'll take em if no one else wants them.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/24 12:56:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:

And many would disagree with you...

If I recall you're the one who trashed Johnny's Cafe in Omaha- probably one of the finest Roadfoodestablishments I've ever visited...

So look whose calling the kettle black
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/25 13:13:33 (permalink)
NO matter how you feel about their burgers, ya gotta admit their tee shirt collection isawesome. BKK
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: in-n-out is overrated 2008/07/25 13:16:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Kahuna Kooks

NO matter how you feel about their burgers, ya gotta admit their tee shirt collection isawesome. BKK

I'll second that. I've got 3 of them myself. And whenever I wear one (in Dallas) someone will always comment on In-N-Out.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1