Author
ertyu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
2006/06/29 19:48:13 (permalink)

in-n-out is overrated

seriously what is so special about in-n-out burgers

they may be fresh an juicy but the taste is just so so

i prefer whoppers, jumbo jacks, and wendy's classic singles (but no big macs or anything from mcdonalds). these 3 burgers have superior taste

58 Replies Related Threads

pdxyyz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 411
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/29 20:06:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ertyu

i prefer whoppers, jumbo jacks, and wendy's classic singles these 3 burgers have superior taste

Actually the burger itself probably doesn't have any taste but it's hard to tell because everything is smothered in condiments and sauces that mask the taste of the beef.

I don't think I would notice if the meat was missing from a whopper, since all the flavour is in the condiments.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/29 22:55:42 (permalink)
    I'm no great fan of In N Out Burger, but...feel your broadside against them is a bit over the top. Plenty of people enjoy their product, enjoy their service and the experience in general. You aren't forced to eat there, as you are aware there are plenty of other choices available to you.

Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/29 23:06:11 (permalink)
    I was in CA a few weeks ago and visited In N Out (in various places) 4 times. I love their Double-Double. I think the meat has a great flavor, especially when you remember that these burgers are not "gourmet" or 1/2 lb burgers--they're inexpensive fast food. In addition to the quality food, I appreciate the clean surroundings and the well-trained staff. Also, IMO their success is, in part, due to their loyalty to the limited menu idea...do fewer things but do them well. No fish, no ersatz salads or chili, no chix...just burgers.
    Ev1L
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/29 23:56:28 (permalink)
    Your post sounds like a shill post from the fast food consortium.

In an Out is probably one of the best burgers you can get. How exactly you can compare an In and Out burger to something that is pre-cooked and nuked is beyond me.

Again, you are either a shill, or you are definitely special in the 'I ride the short yellow bus' kind of way.

/me in nelson's voice from the simpons, points again and says 'ha ha'
    geomotz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 00:18:33 (permalink)
    There is no comparison between a gross, frozen burger like the Whopper and the fresh patties on an In 'N Out double double.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 00:22:44 (permalink)
    In N Out is an outstanding burger
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 00:23:46 (permalink)
    See I've never understood In-N-Out phenomenal success (other than God being happy with their owners).. the fries are limp and greasy, (even when ordered "well done"), the shakes are gluey and the burgers are tasteless...Maybe the In and Out near me just have crappy cooks...I dunno..but I like crisp fries, the option of mayo on my burgers (not everyone likes thousand island dressing on their burgers) and shakes that don't taste like mucilage...sue me.
    ertyu
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 00:26:13 (permalink)
    no need to make rude commets ev1l

my in n out experiences were simply disappointing

everyone told me their burgers were great but they didn't taste better than your everyday whopper

i cringe when people say they want to eat out at in n out like it is some high quality burger business when it really doesnt offer anything special

and thanks for your post jennifer im glad to know there are other disatisfied in n out customers
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 01:22:59 (permalink)
    To me, In-n-Out seems very "fresh." Everything is so clean and nothing is wilted. Somehow they hire shinier help than other fast food places. I don't know how great they are, but they do have their own taste. Blindfolded, I would easily be able to pick out their buger and fries. Personally I really like their fries. I don't even use ketchup. They taste like real potatoes. I know a lot of people aren't into them. I don't know. When I think of In-n-Out, I think happy thoughts. Maybe it's the religious brainwashing. Check the bottom of their cups.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 10:13:01 (permalink)
    Yumbo Yacks & Whoppers over In-N-Out burgers?
    Man, I can't even fathom that level of lack of taste.
    Why not just stay home and make a dang kasadilla, Napoleon?
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 10:26:54 (permalink)
    I tend to agree with Cornfed. IMO In N Out is not a "great" burger, but the various ingredients are of good quality, fresh, and taste like what they are supposed to be. The result is a made-to-order fast food burger that's much better than most. The fries are a bit of an acquired taste, because they taste more of potato and less of sugar/starch seasoning solutions used to make the other chains' products brown quickly. Altogether, In N Out reminds me of what fast food, especially smaller chains and local drive-ins, tasted like in the 60s when I was a kid.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 10:29:37 (permalink)
    When I was down by the pier in SF a while back I saw an In n Out burger joint. Being in SF, I wasn't about to eat there, but I'd heard all the hype and decided to check it out. Went in, sniffed around (literally) looked at the food I could scan on peoples trays and on the boards. . . conclusion: just another fastfood burger joint. It aint no Hamburger Hamlet.
    Fred Ferris
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 10:46:33 (permalink)
    I really, really like In 'n Out...it is very good for a chain....however, I have to agree that it is a bit overrated...simply because no simple fast food burger could possibly live up to the buzz this place generates...I see an In n' Out T-Shirt on someone at least once a week during the summer in Chicago (thousands of miles from the closest location)..

So, I'm sure first timers have some pretty lofty expectations that simply can't be met....the bottom line is, you likely will not be blown away....it's not THAT special...but there's no question that, compared to BK, MCD, Carl's and others, In N' Out is in a class by itself...
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 11:14:10 (permalink)

My only remembrance against In-n-Out was that the fries went limp very quickly. They slice and fry them straight up instead of pre-blanching them in oil. You need to cook them at one lower temperature then step up to a higher one. The finished product needs to be cooked at 350+%, resulting in a crisp fry.

I do remember how people would take the bumper stickers that said "In-N-Out Burger" and trim the B and R off and the sticker would read "In-N-Out Urge"...

In So-Cal I think Tommy's Burgers is worth checking out. I see that there is a Johnny Rockets at the Mohegan Sun near where I live, but it doesn't seem worth the over half hour wait. I do have good memories of the one in S.F.

mark
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 11:54:02 (permalink)
    Everything you wanted to know about "In-N-Out Burger" but were afraid to ask
    http://www.99w.com/evilsam/ff/innout.htm
    Tdybr27
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 12:34:53 (permalink)
    the heck with In and Out burger, get your burgers at Back Yard Burgers, the best burger joint in the US!
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 13:03:00 (permalink)
    I like In-n-Out, but agree that the meat itself is very bland. What makes them good is the combination of the meat, toasted bun, spread, cheese, and grilled onion. And it's all very fresh in contrast to the typical fast food chain with it's frozen and highly processed food.

They are also very open to making your burger anyway you want it. If you want mayo instead of spread, just ask.

That said, it's still a fast food burger. You can't expect it to be more than that. If you want a "real" burger, go to a good mom n' pop joint.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 13:09:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

. The fries are a bit of an acquired taste, because they taste more of potato and less of sugar/starch seasoning solutions used to make the other chains' products brown quickly.

It isn't the taste of the fries that bother me..it's the consistency... as I said.. their fries never seem to get crisp, but stay limp and greasy...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/06/30 13:55:36 (permalink)

I vote Yes on the quality of the Burgers, even without the secret menu etc. I do skip the fries most of the time for the 'limp' reason.
    tuke
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/07/01 00:17:01 (permalink)
    I think to a large extent, the experience of going to IN N Out burger generates a large amount of its appeal. (Though this comes from a guy who lives 2000 miles from the closest one, so it may not be the same for those of you who live closer by)
    In what area could one find back yard burgers? I'm deprived of all the best chains where I live.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/07/01 00:35:13 (permalink)
    I personally think In-N-Out is at the very top of the burger chain.
    I am also actually happy that I live in Texas and only get to visit an In-N-Out every so often. I suppose if there was one in my neighborhood I..........???
    Naw, I wish there was one in my neighborhood!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/07/01 09:57:56 (permalink)

Tuke

There is a thread in the FF forum about Backyard Burger. We have one here in Louisville. We've tried it a couple of times...found it to be way overpriced, very salty and dried out beef. They did have a good Blackberry Cobbler for $4.95 for a dessert/side-dish.
    RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/07/01 11:38:23 (permalink)
    All this talk about In N Out wants me to try one, but i'm on the east coast.

Jim
    Ev1L
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/07/01 21:56:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ertyu

no need to make rude commets ev1l

my in n out experiences were simply disappointing

everyone told me their burgers were great but they didn't taste better than your everyday whopper

i cringe when people say they want to eat out at in n out like it is some high quality burger business when it really doesnt offer anything special

and thanks for your post jennifer im glad to know there are other disatisfied in n out customers

when you quote burger king, jack in the box, and other fast food places as being superior, then yeah, you need some serious help.

In and out is fast food. and its probably one of the best fast food burgers you can get.

As far as burgers go, if you go to any restaurant, you'll 99% of the time get a well done garbage burger.

The only place I get a burger here locally that is superior to anything else is a restaurant/bar called Sabbaticals. If you are on route 5 in wallingford ct, that is the place for a good burger.

And btw, where does the surprise part come in with someone named evil telling you that comparing low grade fast food to high grade fast food, is really dumb.

You live in CA. Fudruckers is good. You mention 'jack in the box' as a superior burger? LMAO
    tuke
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/07/02 02:34:12 (permalink)
    There's a Duchess in Wallingford, what's your take on them? I stopped there today for a Big D chili cheeseburger which was pretty good.
    andyh40
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/07/04 12:13:33 (permalink)
    I live in Tennessee, and was just out to Las Vegas, last month. The first place I had to eat at was In N Out because of what I heard. I thought the double burger tasted great, along with the mountain of fries I got! The place was ultra-clean, and all the workers looked the same. I really got the impression that I had returned to 60's because of the workers and their little caps and uniforms!

I thought it was GREAT!
    ctfrasier
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/07/04 18:48:37 (permalink)
    In-n-Out is really good. I thorougly enjoyed my only visit. I, too, was very impressed with the quality and service. I have never been to a fast food place with such great service.
    cwujd1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/07/06 01:35:23 (permalink)
    I think In-n-Out burgers are delicious. Amazingly, they've stuck with the smallest menu in the world of chain restaurants, only serving what they believe they do well.

In addition, if it makes anyone feel better about eating there, they remain privately owned and have a great reputation for treating their employees well -- high starting wages, good benefits, and managers that can earn six figure incomes. The In-n-Out foundation gives money to agencies serving youth in the company's territory. All with nothing on the menu over $3.00.
    hotdogger
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: in-n-out is overrated 2006/07/06 03:59:04 (permalink)
    I ate at In-n-Out burger for the first time a few weeks ago and I thought it was overrated also.
    I like their reasonable prices and quick service but the food is just average.
    I think I prefer White Castle.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1