instant breakfast bars

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MOC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
2005/07/12 19:37:49 (permalink)

instant breakfast bars

Anyone remember the Carnation Instant Breakfast Bars? They came in similar flavors to the drink mix. In the 80's I guess. ANyone know if those are still around?

31 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/07/12 19:57:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MOC

Anyone remember the Carnation Instant Breakfast Bars? They came in similar flavors to the drink mix. In the 80's I guess. ANyone know if those are still around?

Shoot. I remember the "original" Carnation Instant Breakfast when it 1st arrived back in 1966-67. Choc. Malt was my favorite flavor! I was 12 yrs. old & in 7th grade. Drank daily before school with freshly delivered (qts. of) whole milk. Does anyone remember "Shake-A-Pudding" from this era: "Shake-Shake-Shake-a-puddin'"

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/07/12 21:45:34 (permalink)
    I came across this at http://www.spectropop.com/archive/digest/d1343.htm

Message: 6 Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:49:57 -0500 From: Mark Hill
    Subject: Re: Great Shakes/Shake A Pudding jingles

Country Paul wrote: I'm looking for an original jingle from a New York based product called "Cool Shakes."

Doug Richard wrote: That sure sounds like the Yardbirds "Great Shakes" commercial to me. That's what I was thinking, too. I know I have heard a jingle by The Who for "Great Shakes". I have seen a promo vinyl single with Great Shakes jingles for auction and the jingles have been on bootleg LPs and CDs.

Shake-A-Pudding -- Also, during this wonderful era of mid-60s pop/rock commercial jingles, I remember this one that had a real go-go/Shindig feel. I even used to have a "Shake A Pudding" shaker -- now long gone.

Here are the never to be forgotten (by me, anyway) lyrics:

“There's a new kind of pudding, And you can make it. It's called "Shake-A-Pudding" And all you do is shake it Shake, shake, shake a pudding Pudding, pudding, shake a pudding”

Anyone else remember this and know of any rock/pop connections to this tune? "Dr.Mark" Hill
    sheiny1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/07/16 10:08:52 (permalink)
    missin' those Instant Breakfast Bars!!!! I would LOVE to have one these days! I ate one with a big class of milk almost every morning during my college years. Now, 15 years later, I'm back in college and needin' the boost of those bars! Don't know what was in 'em but they were gooooooood and could hold me til lunch. And they made a good supper too!

If anyone has seen them, please tell me where! yum yum!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/07/16 10:48:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

I came across this at http://www.spectropop.com/archive/digest/d1343.htm

Message: 6 Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:49:57 -0500 From: Mark Hill
    Subject: Re: Great Shakes/Shake A Pudding jingles

Country Paul wrote: I'm looking for an original jingle from a New York based product called "Cool Shakes."

Doug Richard wrote: That sure sounds like the Yardbirds "Great Shakes" commercial to me. That's what I was thinking, too. I know I have heard a jingle by The Who for "Great Shakes". I have seen a promo vinyl single with Great Shakes jingles for auction and the jingles have been on bootleg LPs and CDs.

Shake-A-Pudding -- Also, during this wonderful era of mid-60s pop/rock commercial jingles, I remember this one that had a real go-go/Shindig feel. I even used to have a "Shake A Pudding" shaker -- now long gone.

Here are the never to be forgotten (by me, anyway) lyrics:

“There's a new kind of pudding, And you can make it. It's called "Shake-A-Pudding" And all you do is shake it Shake, shake, shake a pudding Pudding, pudding, shake a pudding”

Anyone else remember this and know of any rock/pop connections to this tune? "Dr.Mark" Hill

Ah. Good memories.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/07/16 16:11:41 (permalink)
    fondly recalling brkfast bars.... the portion control must have been for leperchuans..there are various kinds on the cereal aisles here, some with "milk" .... Carnation instant brkfast.. I had to be at the busstop by 5:15, Dad and I would have a cup of coffee and an instant brkfst almost every morning
    sara d
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/08/06 09:38:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MOC

YES. I remember the carnation breakfast bars, I LOVED them, they had chocolate chip, and peanut butter chip, they are basically very tasty versions of the more recent slim fast bars, which are a little pasty. I ate them in high school EVERY DAY (circa 1990), but they have since disappeared, I look for them every time I go into any grocery store and I've never found them, I'm currently scouring the Internet though and will let you know if I come up with anything.
    sara d
    Junior Burger
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/08/06 10:23:19 (permalink)
    Well, this is depressing. Go to www.hometownfavorites.com. This website confirms whether a favorite product is discontinued. And Carnation Instant Breakfast Bars are on the list! Apparently we weren't the only people looking for them. Oh well. They have some neat stuff on that website though (hard to find products for example that you can order)
    RebaJo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/08/24 00:09:42 (permalink)
    I remember still buying Breakfast Bars in college in the mid-90s. Oh so good! I too mourn their loss.
    BUT does anyone remember Carnation Breakfast Sticks-or something like that? They were a brown-colored breakfast "stick" maybe 1/3rd inch in diameter and 4-5 inches long in a foil-lined packet that opened from the top like a string cheese wrapper. THEY were the best. They had this unique chocolate-like flavor that I loved. We used to take them camping when I was a kid and my brother and I were limited to one each at breakfast or a snack--which we greatly resented!! If I were to have a box today I'd probably eat the whole thing at one sitting--which is not my usual method of consumption.
    Does anyone know how to contact Carnation for any possible information?
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/08/25 14:42:12 (permalink)
    It appears that one of the reasons Carnation (which is Nestle) discontinued these products is because of Nestle's partnership with General Mills.
    The partnership began in 1990 and during that time they were developing the cereal breakfast bars which are now on the market, such as cinnamon toast crunch bars, huney nut cheerio bars, and the like.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/08/25 14:52:39 (permalink)
    SaraD-
    My Co-worker bought the 50's candy pack and brought it into work.
    I was not alive in the 50's (or 60's for that matter), but some of the candies were also available in my early childhood in the 70's, so it's a nice trip down memory lane.

Thanks for the web-link, I had wondered where he got his box of goodies from!
    fablerox
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/08/25 15:40:26 (permalink)
    Not a big fan of Carnation breakfast bar (unless topped with vanilla ice-cream, hot fudge and whipped cream) but loved the Shake a Pudding. I would take one to work tomorrow.

Does anyone remember Space Food Sticks/

Or a product I think called King Stir, that was a stick coated with a Kool Aid type substance that you stirred in a glass of water.
    RebaJo
    Junior Burger
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/08/26 00:11:52 (permalink)
    Space Food Sticks!!! Fablerox--you made my day!
    Go to: www.spacefoodsticks.com, http://www.oldtimecandy.com/space-food-sticks.html or do a Google search.
    You can read all about the history and details. You can even order them, but they are out of stock--you can give them your e-mail to notify you when they are available.
    MOC
    Junior Burger
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/08/26 17:40:01 (permalink)
    Yes - I do remember those, they were more of a snack. Weren't they an "astronaut" snack? I thought they were circa Tang, another supposedly super nutritious space food.
    quote:
    Originally posted by RebaJo

I remember still buying Breakfast Bars in college in the mid-90s. Oh so good! I too mourn their loss.
    BUT does anyone remember Carnation Breakfast Sticks-or something like that? They were a brown-colored breakfast "stick" maybe 1/3rd inch in diameter and 4-5 inches long in a foil-lined packet that opened from the top like a string cheese wrapper. THEY were the best. They had this unique chocolate-like flavor that I loved. We used to take them camping when I was a kid and my brother and I were limited to one each at breakfast or a snack--which we greatly resented!! If I were to have a box today I'd probably eat the whole thing at one sitting--which is not my usual method of consumption.
    webean
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/08/27 10:33:42 (permalink)
    On the topic of sticks....does anyone recall the candy sticks you could stick into oranges or lemons to suck out the juice?
    Would love to share some with the grandkids.
    Diner-Lover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/08/27 11:10:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by webean

On the topic of sticks....does anyone recall the candy sticks you could stick into oranges or lemons to suck out the juice?

Hi webean! Those candy sticks in lemons are often sold at local festivals in our area. I'd suggest posting a new thread on the Snacks and Candy forum here asking your question about the candy sticks and someone might be able to help you there.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2005/08/29 14:26:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by webean

When I was a child, I remember certain candy canes had a small hole in it. My father taught us on Christmas to break the "hook" part of the candy cane off so that all you had was the long stick as a straw. Insert the stick into an orange and suck (very hard). And some juice would actually make its way through the candy cane stick. I loved it.

dasl_4
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2006/02/06 22:02:53 (permalink)
    quote:

Space Food Sticks!!! Fablerox--you made my day!
    Go to: www.spacefoodsticks.com, http://www.oldtimecandy.com/space-food-sticks.html or do a Google search.
    You can read all about the history and details. You can even order them, but they are out of stock--you can give them your e-mail to notify you when they are available.
    I could cry with joy that ppl remember these ... truly one of my VERY special treats when I was very young .. I love that many ppl on the web describe them as ort of like chocolate slim jims .. I used that description for years and noone knew what I meant.. I am looking for ppl that remember what flavors came in what color boxes ... anyone remember if there was a blue box and if so what flavor they were?
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2006/02/07 11:33:44 (permalink)
    Space Food Sticks? I don't remember the box, I do seem to recall them individually wrapped in a printed cello-plastic. What I do remember is the taste. Just like vinyl. I liked the chocolate and chocolate fudge vinyl better than the vanilla and strawberry vinyl. A very special treat, and so cool! even if they were like eating plastic.

Also did the Carnation Instant Breakfasts on and off starting in '66/'67. At some point I got it in my head that raw eggs would make me grow tall, so I'd mix the Instant Breakfast up in the blender with milk and a raw egg. Actually not a bad protein shake. And yes, the Chocolate Malt flavor was the best.

toot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2006/04/01 18:10:41 (permalink)
    quote:

toot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2006/04/01 18:19:20 (permalink)
    I remember the breakfast food stix. The foil wrapper and the weird but addicting taste. I always thought they were some sort of space food, and my parents couldn't remember them. I found pics of space food...not the same. I last remember seeing them in the early to mid 70's. in Winn Dixie and Kroger stores in the south. Would love to find them again. Not the space food. These are round slim jim type, very soft chocolate stix. Not like kit-kat bars. Thanks for any info
    RebaJo
    Junior Burger
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2006/04/04 01:02:58 (permalink)
    SO--what I'm remembering is NOT the space food stix that everyone is writing about. They did look like slim jims and were soft and chocolatey. Very good! Yeah--I have no idea. I've been waiting for the space food stix to be available again to give it a shot, but if these are not them. . . . For some reason I remember them being Carnation brand like the breakfast bars. I'll keep looking . . .
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2006/04/04 12:43:14 (permalink)
    quote:

SO--what I'm remembering is NOT the space food stix that everyone is writing about. They did look like slim jims and were soft and chocolatey. Very good! Yeah--I have no idea. I've been waiting for the space food stix to be available again to give it a shot, but if these are not them. . . . For some reason I remember them being Carnation brand like the breakfast bars. I'll keep looking . . .

cow tales? they are long like a slim jim, individually wrapped and are soft and chewy.

TREOdeJaneiro
    Junior Burger
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2007/08/11 19:54:35 (permalink)
    Yes. I remember these as well, early 70's in Southern California. Definitely Carnation Breakfast Sticks!
    quote:

nicolem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2007/08/12 10:08:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

It appears that one of the reasons Carnation (which is Nestle) discontinued these products is because of Nestle's partnership with General Mills.
    The partnership began in 1990 and during that time they were developing the cereal breakfast bars which are now on the market, such as cinnamon toast crunch bars, huney nut cheerio bars, and the like.

That is a shame. To me those bars they have today aren't very appetizing and nothing like the carnation breakfast bars. With a glass of milk, they were my breakfast all through intermediate school and high school. I miss them-they were so yummy.
    JrzyGrl1
    Junior Burger
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2007/10/01 18:03:34 (permalink)
    Here is a link to a petition to get Carnation Bars back!

http://www.petitiononline.com/cb01/petition.html

Please go there and sign it, we need to get Carnation Breakfast Bars back!
    Thanks!

nicolem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2007/10/07 19:45:46 (permalink)
    I just signed. This would make me so very happy!
    mzjodz
    Junior Burger
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2008/03/15 21:19:40 (permalink)
    absolutely loved these breakfast bars more than any other treat as a child! I have thought about them over the years and have looked for them in the stores but have been unable to find them for years. I figured I had no choice but to accept that they were no longer being made. Then I decided to look online to see if I could find any info and lo and behold there is a whole group of people that feel the same way I do. I have tried other bars and nothing even comes close to the taste and texture of Carnation Breakfast Bars! If Nestle started making them again, I would buy them everytime I went grocery shopping and I would insist all my friends and family try them! I would love for my children to be able to have the pleasure of tasting these bars just as I did as a child. I can't figure out why they ever stopped making them. Apparently they were selling good or there wouldn't be all of these die hard fans years later! I remember getting up for school and I couldn't wait to have one of these breakfast bars. I sure hope Nestle will consider bringing these bars back on the market!
    passion-punch
    Junior Burger
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2008/06/23 16:50:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MOC

Looking for them myself, which is how I stumbled upon your page.

It's probably not the same without the foil wrapper, but here is a recipe that I also stumbled across. I'm going to sign the petition now! :)

http://www.budget101.com/recipes/id487.htm

More from me: http://www.passion-punch.com

MOC
    Junior Burger
    RE: instant breakfast bars 2008/07/01 20:47:48 (permalink)
    I am so pleased to see this topic still going! I just signed the petition and will send the link along to others. Wow.
    And by the way YES I remember the space food sticks too!!! Wasn't there a peanutbutter/chocolate flaver? I really felt like I was getting full nutrition from that little stick - their marketing really worked on me
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1