is there any great reason to insulate the walls?

Author
Bistro a go-go
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
2012/03/17 13:23:53 (permalink)

is there any great reason to insulate the walls?

i understand insulating a house to save energy but im wondering if theres a great reason Im not seeing why trucks are insulated?
insulation will keep heat in and cooler air out.
trucks being alum would disperse heat incredibly well.
are we worried about the truck body getting so hot that it burns someone who touchs the body?

the plywood is a 'given' to keep the stainless straight and supported. also know insulation will keep sound down. any other thoughts?

9 Replies Related Threads

roadkillgrill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:is there any great reason to insulate the walls? 2012/03/17 14:22:33 (permalink)
    BAGG, you are cracking me up.... I'm a southern boy also.... but to answer... DUH!! LOL
    Im not trying to be a S.A. but your summers are as hot and HUMID as mine (near Memphis). Also rubberize your roof and insulate that to the max!!!!! Remember the alum studs will transfer heat. You will be ok as long as you skin with plywood first. (i didnt on the first remodel, thus the grease and smoke were attracted to the wallboard where the suds were because that area was warmer.. Dont cut corners on your base, you cant get to it to redo without starting all over... Been there, done that...
    lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:is there any great reason to insulate the walls? 2012/03/17 15:59:18 (permalink)
    Paint your exterior roof with one of the white elestometric roof coatings. I used Henry's Solarflex on both the food cart and the bus. Makes a big difference.
    Mkinzi94
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:is there any great reason to insulate the walls? 2012/03/17 16:17:30 (permalink)
    Lorna:

I'm so glad I saw your post about the roof coating.  Definitely want to consider that one! Now off to the search button...
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:is there any great reason to insulate the walls? 2012/03/17 18:06:29 (permalink)
    my questions were about insulation and how important it is? I know every one seems to insulate, buy why is it done in areas like georgia or florida where we dont need to worry about how cold it gets?

the roof coated and sealed is a given. the plywood for support is a given.

not trying to be a SA, just dont understand why i want to keep the heat inside...? id rather the heat disipate faster. believe me, i built the last two houses ive lived in. everything but the 30k bricks INCLUDING insulation.

to me it makes sense to NOT insulate and let the heat go where it goes. if anyone knows about rest equip, take two hot hold boxes side by side. one box is insulated. one is NOT. turn off the electricity to both and take the temp of both boxes after 1 hour. which will be warmer? get my point? 

Im not trying to save pennies, just trying to think things through all the way.
    i thought about something like storm tape on the inside alloy panels to deaden the sounds from the aluminum drum if foam insulation is not used. what do you think?  lets keep this open to discussion, pls?
    roadkillgrill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:is there any great reason to insulate the walls? 2012/03/17 18:23:51 (permalink)
    it's the reverse. the ceiling and the walls heat up and heat the inside more than your griddle. more surface area collecting heat. First I did nothing, couldnt stand it. then insulated and it helped but still sweltering, then I painted the 'white" reflective roof coating and WOW, what a difference. I also have a custom made griddle cover that I use in the summer which accounts for getting out 90% of the griddle heat from inside straight through the wall. Just think about how hot the inside of a car is during the summer. It WILL be that bad and worse without it. We all deal with the heat, it's called CDOB, Cost of Doing Business. If you do not plan to install an AC, you better be pushing some major cross ventilation.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:is there any great reason to insulate the walls? 2012/03/17 20:21:36 (permalink)
    id like to see the custom grill cover. can you post pics? also, ill have two large fans moving air and good exhaust fans on the hood
    still looking for real reasons insulation helps do anything in the south? ive had 2 rest over last 20 yrs so im VERY familiar with the heat around the hood. we dumped ALL the air from a 5 ton AC unit directly on myself and my line guys. that was 34 ft of hood. Talk about some BTU's? two brick ovens, (2) 10 eye ranges, 36" char, 36" flat grill, tilt skillet, dbl convection ovens, and steam kettle. maybe 2 million btu's per hour..?
    maybe i better insulate incase i decide to go north sometime...? thats the only reason i can see to insulate. i should post this question to one of the big time commercial food truck builders and see what they say from an engineering stand-point...?  oh well, tell me your thoughts, anyone else have an opinion?

kingofcreams
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re:is there any great reason to insulate the walls? 2012/03/18 00:55:54 (permalink)
    All I know is that even though I insulated my trailer it has been getting pretty warm, not hot but warm and we've only been getting highs in the mid to upper 50's. It's kinda a damned if you do damned if you don't cause I know once it's mid summer and i've got refrigeration and cooking equipment going the insulation is going help keep heat in but I think without it it would be even worse.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:is there any great reason to insulate the walls? 2012/03/18 09:34:39 (permalink)
    why would it be worse? keeping heat OUT of the truck would not be of help. just seems to me that the truck will breathe better without all the stuffing betwwen the layers.
    Im gonna call a cpl of the truck manufacturers monday and will advise as to what they say. any other opinions appreciated, (hopefully before i install the stuff?)
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:is there any great reason to insulate the walls? 2012/03/19 10:37:03 (permalink)
    wow guys, just got off the phone with ed at vending trucks,com and he said to NOT insulate a truck that you know will only be in a hot humid area except behing hot cooking equipment. 

it may make a difference if you later sell the truck to a new owner that will work the truck in cold climates.

moving on the stainless skin install this week!!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1