is this feasible?

Author
farmstander
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2014/08/19 21:55:26 (permalink)

is this feasible?

I'm going to be setting up shop in a private location which has agreed to let me plug into their shore power and park overnight.  I'm still required to use a commissary for cleaning, but the town HD says it's OK to do on-site food prep if the truck is built to sufficiently handle the job.  Since I have access to overnight power, I'm thinking of keeping my food inventory on the truck since I can keep the refrigerator, freezer, and sandwich prep unit running. 

We've brainstormed some obvious risks (theft, power outage, freezing temps) and precautions (power supply monitor, security system, winterized plumbing), but I don't think anyone actually does this.  Anyone tried?

I'm still a ways out and will be talking with some commissary candidates soon.  I don't know if they'd charge the same fee for simply hosting a cleaning and water dump/fill site compared to cleaning, water, food storage and prep time. 

Input much appreciated.

2 Replies Related Threads

RichardFla
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: is this feasible? 2014/08/23 10:25:39 (permalink)
    I have customers that have permanent locations some do very well.
    The biggest drawback is the power supply in which most just have their own metered pole put in,also look at parking if your host has limited space and you get busy sometimes they get upset.

$186 roughly gets you an 8 gallon per hour small grease trap that can be set under the truck or trailer which where we are at anyways, allows them to dump waste water into the city system,it is no different setup then a brick and mortar.

We pushed and succeeded in eliminating the requirement for a host commissary based on,if you are required to be self contained there was no need to have a commissary.  
    BelCibo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: is this feasible? 2014/08/24 10:57:07 (permalink)
    We store everything in our truck, at our house, 365 days a year, no commissary required.  Temps get down below zero in winter so the water has to be drained daily when the day service is over.  Inventory holding is low so we have to shop often and the draining of water every day is a hassle but it works.  Since you are in one spot you may be able to wrap the lines with heat tape to make is work.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1