italian sausage

Author
Buck & Vi's
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 830
2010/07/13 06:46:26 (permalink)

italian sausage

whats everybody selling? i'm looking for a good mild & hot italian sausage,cicarelo,randolf,roman,hatfield,etc. or do you just go to sam's and get them out of the freezer?? I was thinking of doing the rope too instead of links??

28 Replies Related Threads

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/13 07:32:42 (permalink)
    Hey Buck, Why Rope sausage ????????  and most of the mild Italian sausage I have had are to mild, most of the Hot Italian are to hot. I saw one in my guide that said Spicy Italian, now that maybe the ticket. I think your looking at cooked/smoked right ??????? ,,,,,,,,BillyB
    Doggie Bites
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 147
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/13 08:14:55 (permalink)
    Hey Buck and or Vi;s,we love Johnsonville hot or mild and i beleive they have them at Sam;s
    Mike 
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/13 08:25:32 (permalink)
    Doggie Bites

Hey Buck and or Vi;s,we love Johnsonville hot or mild and i beleive they have them at Sam;s
    Mike 

DB, Johnsonville makes a cooked/smoked beer Brat that isn't bad either............ goes nice with a good spicy/hot mustard.....................BillyB
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/13 12:30:07 (permalink)
    I thought you'd have the market cornered on Chocolate Covered ANTS.
    Put out a bowl of them while people waited on their orders. LOL
    Hell, if you don't have enough in your yard ask the People next door.
    Hope your new mailbox is in.
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/13 12:30:45 (permalink)
    BillyB

Hey Buck, Why Rope sausage ????????  and most of the mild Italian sausage I have had are to mild, most of the Hot Italian are to hot. I saw one in my guide that said Spicy Italian, now that maybe the ticket. I think your looking at cooked/smoked right ??????? ,,,,,,,,BillyB

I thought rope might be cheaper ?, and yes cooked
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/13 12:51:29 (permalink)
    Curbside Grill

I thought you'd have the market cornered on Chocolate Covered ANTS.
    Put out a bowl of them while people waited on their orders. LOL
    Hell, if you don't have enough in your yard ask the People next door.
    Hope your new mailbox is in.

So thats where     I've been going wrong .your supposed to put chocolate on em !!. and yes thanks mail box is in. reminds me of a joke:

mechanic working under the dash of a car keeps eating peanuts that were on the dash board,finally eats them all up. customer comes in to pick car up, mechanic say's I owe you for the peanuts that was on the dash I ate them all on ya.
    customer say's oh, thats okay since I lost my teeth all I can do is suck the chocolate off them anyhow. EWE!!!!!    
    lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/13 12:54:06 (permalink)
    The Hillshire Hot & Spicy Smoked Italian is most definitely hot. And it is running neck & neck with our smoked Brat.
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/13 12:57:00 (permalink)
    I SAY HILLSHIRE YOU SAY FARM......................HILLSHIRE !!!!

sorry could'nt resist,>;) I'm ina good mood
    lornaschinske
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/13 14:56:20 (permalink)
    GO MEAT!!

I just love meat!  I'm a low-carb kinda gal!
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/13 20:19:43 (permalink)
    i'm leavin that alone........................................
    Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    • Total Posts : 689
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/13 20:46:22 (permalink)
    Probably a good thin rope sausage with parmesan cheese inside, coiled up and skewed.
    BUT it's going to take a while!
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/14 11:18:37 (permalink)
    Speaking of sausage, I could use some advice from people on this forum. I've been buying my sausage from a local butcher shop that makes them on-site. They come to my raw. When I get them, I boil them to get them cooked, then grill them for a few seconds on each side (just to brown them a little since they're pretty white coming out of the boil). They then go in the fridge until I'm ready to use them.

When I am ready to use them, I put them in the steam pan next to the hot dogs to get hot. This seems to work just fine.

Here's the problem: MOST of the people who get the italian sausage seem to like it just fine, but SOME people (about 30% maybe) have complained that it's "too dry". I've eaten it and do agree that it doesn't have the same texture as an italian sausage I get at, for example, fairs and festivals. It is, indeed, a little dry. I like it, but I can see where they are coming from definitely.

My question is, do you think this is a problem of the sausage itself being too "lean", or is it a problem of how I am cooking/preparing/holding them? Does anyone on here have any suggestions? I can't cook them to order directly from raw (takes way too much time) or in fact even from a cooked-but-refrigerated state (they're big and take too long to heat). I need to be able to hot-hold them.

I'm stumped. I can't figure out if the "dryness" is my fault or an actual fault in the sausage.

Any suggestion would be appreciated a great deal!

Thanks,

Stubby
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6187
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/14 12:57:05 (permalink)
    Boiling the hell out of them and then all the reheating and regrilling....and it wouldn't be dry???????????   Italians are taking up arms!
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/14 13:29:37 (permalink)
    You don't boil Italian sausage, you fry or bake it in the oven. Its ok to boil fresh German and polish sausage, but not Italian...........BillyB
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/14 13:30:50 (permalink)
    leethebard

Boiling the hell out of them and then all the reheating and regrilling....and it wouldn't be dry???????????   Italians are taking up arms!

OK... then please tell me a better way. That's why I am asking. How would you do it?

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/14 13:32:43 (permalink)
    Hey Stubby, I hope all is well. You don't boil Italian sausage, you pan fry, or oven bake/brown. You boil Polish, Brats, and German. Take care..BillyB
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/14 13:37:06 (permalink)
    BillyB

You don't boil Italian sausage, you fry or bake it in the oven. Its ok to boil fresh German and polish sausage, but not Italian...........BillyB

You can also ruff chop in chunks after frying, sautee some peppers and put into Italian marinara sauce for a : Sausage and pepper grinder"..............
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/14 13:52:41 (permalink)
    BillyB

Hey Stubby, I hope all is well. You don't boil Italian sausage, you pan fry, or oven bake/brown. You boil Polish, Brats, and German. Take care..BillyB

Hmmm... ok, I completely trust your judgment and experience, Billy. At my last job, we did indeed bake them prior to re-heating and they definitely came out a lot better. The problem that I have is that I don't have an oven in my trailer! I guess I can try to cook them all on my griddle, but boy it would take a long time!

It does definitely seem that boiling them may be the culprit. I can see that - the amount of grease left in the water when I am done seems to indicate that not much is left in the sausages, and it's the grease that keeps them moist.

I had originally hoped to get a fully cooked italian sausage (so I could just do what I do with hot dogs) but unfortunately I have yet to find a local supplier that has them available.

Question: is there a problem with hot holding them in the steamer, too, or is it just the boiling that's causing my problems?

Hmmmm....
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/14 15:34:24 (permalink)
    I would fry on the grill, and hold for a short amount of time. The only other way is if your butcher will smoke 10 or 20 lbs a week for you. Its the nature of the beast. Eat one right off the grill, knock your socks off...............BillyB
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/15 06:20:35 (permalink)
    Billy;When you say a short period of time whats the time frame, I also boil the sausage, sorry>(
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/15 07:48:59 (permalink)
    Buck & Vi's

Billy;When you say a short period of time whats the time frame, I also boil the sausage, sorry>(

Hi Buck, your cooked/smoked Italian will hold better. Thats the problem with using fresh Italian sausage, it doesn't hold as long as other sausages. The fresh Italian sausage needs a dry cooking method to combine the meat, fats, and spices. The problem with using this in Stubby's food trailer is, its only one menu item of many. I used to cook mine on the grill and hold them in with the sauteed peppers and onions.............I would, and have traveled 100 miles for a good fresh off the grill Italian sausage grinder with chopped peppers and onions.............BillyB
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/15 15:52:14 (permalink)
    Of coarse, sausage from a good local vendor is the best but... Hillshire Farm, Johnsonville, and Eckrich all make some pretty tasty pre cooked sausages. Italian, jalapeno, hot links, andouille, cheese, and their other pre cooked stuff is all not bad.

Down here in Texas we like them wrapped in a flour tortilla.
    Joe
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/15 16:58:44 (permalink)
    BillyB

Buck & Vi's

Hi Buck, your cooked/smoked Italian will hold better. Thats the problem with using fresh Italian sausage, it doesn't hold as long as other sausages. The fresh Italian sausage needs a dry cooking method to combine the meat, fats, and spices. The problem with using this in Stubby's food trailer is, its only one menu item of many. I used to cook mine on the grill and hold them in with the sauteed peppers and onions.............I would, and have traveled 100 miles for a good fresh off the grill Italian sausage grinder with chopped peppers and onions.............BillyB

Billy; at the risk of being finally caught at being a complete baffoon what would you say is a pretty good smoked / pre cooked italian. I was doing the boil over too but hadnt had any complaints really I hav'nt done that many but that was my motive operendi.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/15 19:31:32 (permalink)
    Hi Buck, I evaluate my menu items on how I can Cook, Hold, and the amount of time the product can be held, and still have a high Quality. If I can't achieve this, I don't serve it. That being said, I use fresh Italian sausage, I serve it with Italian sausage & meatballs & spaghetti. If I have left over sausage I could make Sausage and Pepper hoagies, I could also use it in Lasagna or a baked Ziti. All the Good/Great Italian sausage, have come from Italian butcher shops, or Italian deli's. I don't know if there are any good cooked Italian sausage, or if some, are just not as bad as others.
       Lorna said she has a good Hot Italian from Johnsonville, I would trust her judgement, she once told me in so many words, she would like to see me dead, by drinking Tea. You have to like a girl with spunk like that..............BillyB
    TrentonDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 736
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/15 21:44:01 (permalink)
    From what I gather, it is fine to cook italian sausage in water, and then finish off on the charbroiler. The "trick" is not "boiling" the sausage but to simmer until the internal temperature just hits roughly 160F (fully cooked). Boiling will render all the fat out of the sausage and you will have a dry finished product.

So - simmer the sausage for several minutes (check internal temperature with a thermometer), throw on the charbroiler to crisp up the casing and make grill marks, then hold in the steam table.

lornaschinske
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/15 22:22:52 (permalink)
    BillyB ...she once told me in so many words, she would like to see me dead, by drinking Tea...

I did not say that I would like to see you dead.. I just said it would improve your "sunny" disposition.
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/16 17:39:12 (permalink)
    BillyB

Hi Buck, I evaluate my menu items on how I can Cook, Hold, and the amount of time the product can be held, and still have a high Quality. If I can't achieve this, I don't serve it. That being said, I use fresh Italian sausage, I serve it with Italian sausage & meatballs & spaghetti. If I have left over sausage I could make Sausage and Pepper hoagies, I could also use it in Lasagna or a baked Ziti. All the Good/Great Italian sausage, have come from Italian butcher shops, or Italian deli's. I don't know if there are any good cooked Italian sausage, or if some, are just not as bad as others.
       Lorna said she has a good Hot Italian from Johnsonville, I would trust her judgement, she once told me in so many words, she would like to see me dead, by drinking Tea. You have to like a girl with spunk like that..............BillyB

LOL !! you gotta love this place
    TrentonDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 736
    Re:italian sausage 2010/07/16 18:48:33 (permalink)
    Italian sausage & meaballs & spaghetti? Are you guys running hot dog carts or freaking full blown nimitz class mobile kitchens?

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1