jimmys west haven conn.

Author
marky
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
2008/07/13 17:10:44 (permalink)

jimmys west haven conn.

driving new england wandered off 95 and stopped at jimmys a nice waterview and busy parking lot. it was some of the best seafood i ever had. steamers in a big pan sweet as sugar and no sand. they serve a seafood pie with lobster,scallops shrimp and haddock that for 10.50 blew me away.we ate in at least 10 seafood restaurants on our trip. the only downer was abbotts a place living on a name.jimmys was by far the biggest sleeper we ran into

7 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18269
    RE: jimmys west haven conn. 2008/07/13 17:30:03 (permalink)
    Too bad you never knew the original place. Jimmy's of Savin Rock. Split, grilled Rosseler's franks with mustard, relish, sauerkraut and onions at the condiment bar that you applied yourself; fried clams, perfect French fries, clams on the half shell and magnificent lobster rolls; pineapple drink and white birch beer on tap; and everyone standing or sitting in cars parked right in front eating the bounty served up by Jimmy's son Sal Gagliardi.

Oh, sure, the wimps of the world could go inside and sit in booths and be waited on, but that was no fun. And if for some reason there were too many people and you just couldn't wait you could always walk 15 yards to Turks and get the same stuff, or you could walk right across the street to Phyllis' for the same.

And the view? The gulls wandering around on the sidewalk and in the street pecking away at the dropped fries and other residue of a wonderful time, and the girls. Ah, the girls.
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: jimmys west haven conn. 2008/07/13 17:38:59 (permalink)
    Michael,

I've heard a lot about Jimmy's of Savin Rock. Many called it the best place to go for a hot dog. From what I understand, it was the inspiration for Super Duper Weenie. Regretfully, I never had the chance to go. And I know that Rosseler's are no longer made. I had them once at Rawley's in Fairfield about 6 years ago and liked them. I seem to recall that at some point even before Rosseler's became extinct, Jimmy's went into decline as far as their hot dogs. Is this true? Are they now using Hummel's? And do you think it is worth making a trip there now for hot dogs? Thanks for any opinions you can provide.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: jimmys west haven conn. 2008/07/13 18:01:19 (permalink)
    What happened to Jimmy's is the same thing that happened to neighbors Turk's and Phyllis' The city of West Haven decided it wanted to redevelop Savin Rock into housing and other sorts of things -- more "high class." Among the things the city insisted on stopping was the idea of people standing around buying food and drink from walk-up windows at the fronts of restaurants and eating that food right out where God and everybody could see them. To do that they had to rezone the area and that meant those great places had to shut down. The Gagliardis were able to rebuild not far away, right on what became Captain Thomas Boulevard, with the new place's back right at the water's edge at Long Island Sound. The trouble was, there could be no walk-up windows or food served for outside eating, except on a walled patio that could not be seen from the street.

I was there, at the new Jimmy's, shortly after it opened while visiting my family. The idea of eating hotdogs inside -- and they still served Rosseler's then -- just didn't work, and it was clear that they were going to change. I talked with Sal Gagliardi and he told me they were going to deemphasize the hotdogs, fried clams and other good stuff and concentrate on being a nice sitdown place. A couple of years later, in the early '70s, I went back again, only because my mother insisted on taking us there. The service was lousy, the hotdogs were terrible and the prices were unbelieveable. Jimmy's had gone to hell in a handbasket. I'll never go back again.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: jimmys west haven conn. 2008/07/13 18:11:00 (permalink)
    Thanks. You saved me a trip.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: jimmys west haven conn. 2008/07/13 19:18:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John Fox

Thanks. You saved me a trip.

There are plenty of good things in Connecticut worth a trip, but Jimmy's isn't among them.

Ah, but back in the day ... .
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1621
    RE: jimmys west haven conn. 2008/07/30 00:03:01 (permalink)
    thanks to a girlfriend who went to Yale for a PhD, I got to know the Jimmy's of old. Since I can still walk with out aid of a walker, is there a place in West or New Haven for great fried clams with bellies? Or maybe Branford?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: jimmys west haven conn. 2008/07/30 00:47:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by FriedClamFanatic

thanks to a girlfriend who went to Yale for a PhD, I got to know the Jimmy's of old. Since I can still walk with out aid of a walker, is there a place in West or New Haven for great fried clams with bellies? Or maybe Branford?

How about Chick's on Beach Street in West Haven? Fried clams, hot dogs, etc. And right across from the beach. It will never be as good as the old places in Savin Rock, but it's right there, and you can walk up and order and eat in your car just like at Jimmy's.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1