kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
2003/04/22 14:28:31 (permalink)

kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac

Any last chance suggestions? Leaving this friday. Will return after May 31 with a few reviews!
As some of you may already know. I'm heading on a baseball trip to the mid west for a one week period over memorial day weekend. Of course I plan to sample regional cuisine everywhere i go. First a few questions which I am hoping some of my fellow "foodies" can answer.
1. I'm stopping in Milwaukee and of course plan to sample some brats and cheese curds at the ball park. Now I have one meal left, should I go for a butter burger at Solly's or should I check out a local German Restaurant, if so which one?
2. I'm stopping in Kansas City to see the Royals. I've been to Arthur Bryant's and Gates and both were great. Any new recomendations for Kansas City style "Q"
3. I'm also checking out the minor league ball park in Des Moines IA. I love Iowa Chops and have been to the Machine Shed twice before and had their humongous stuffed chop. Thought this time around I might try a new place. Any suggestions?
4. I'm passing through Wichita Kansas and heard about a local cuisine called Bierocks, I believe these are similar to Runza's which are served in Nebraska. Does anyone know of any restaurants within a 20 mile radius of Wichita that serves a good one?
5. I'm stopping in Oklahoma City to catch the Redhawks, another minor league baseball team. I know that OK City is known for great regional cuisine, but I may only have time for one meal. Should I go for Mexican, Chicken Fried Steak or BBQ? Any ideas on restaurants?

Thanks for all your help

10 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac 2003/04/22 14:52:39 (permalink)
    Hey Wandering....
    Is this the baseball equivelent to the 40 years in the wilderness kind of trip?? IN K C We like the Smokestack BBQ as a cleaner , if less homey, kind of alternative to Arthur Bryant's place. There are also a couple supurb Chicken Houses in the area. I am pressed for time, and my memory sucks, so check Stern's book...They know the best of KC for sure.
    We always save our Oklahoma stop for Shawnee, not far east of OK City, to stop at VAN'S Pig stand.
    Have a fun trip....If ever in Louisville, take the tour of the Louisville Slugger factory , then watch the "BATS" our minor league club in a really nice ballpark on the Ohio River.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac 2003/04/22 15:05:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Hey Wandering....
    Is this the baseball equivelent to the 40 years in the wilderness kind of trip?? IN K C We like the Smokestack BBQ as a cleaner , if less homey, kind of alternative to Arthur Bryant's place. There are also a couple supurb Chicken Houses in the area. I am pressed for time, and my memory sucks, so check Stern's book...They know the best of KC for sure.
    We always save our Oklahoma stop for Shawnee, not far east of OK City, to stop at VAN'S Pig stand.
    Have a fun trip....If ever in Louisville, take the tour of the Louisville Slugger factory , then watch the "BATS" our minor league club in a really nice ballpark on the Ohio River.

Thanks Mayor!

I actually made it to Louisville back in 2000 and caught the Bats at their brand new ballpark and got my mini bat at the factory. If I recall I also took in a mutton bbq sandwich at the Ol' Hickory Pit and had an unbelievable Hot Brown somewhere in downtown Louisville.
    brianh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac 2003/04/22 21:13:17 (permalink)
    Hi wanderingjew,

Maybe I can help you with what you are wandering about.(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Anyways, if you are at Miller Park, the Cactus League Nachos are one of my favorites! They weigh as much as a small goat, and taste a whole lot better.

As far as where to eat? Personally, I would opt for Solly's this time of year, and I'm half German! I think of German food as good winter fare.

Sounds like you are hitting some great baseball and food towns. I am envious and looking forward to your reports back!

brianh
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac 2003/04/24 15:43:03 (permalink)
    I believe current thinking in KC has LC's on blue parkway as the #1 place. Oklahoma joe's at 47th and mission rd is much admired.
    BB's lawnside BBQ on 85th is great as is sneads in martin city (sort of)Garazzo's (several locations)is a treat for Italian. Stephenson's apple farm at 40 hwy and noland rd. is an institution. and can't forget stroud's, though I notice people seem disappointed lately.
    It's too bad you couldn't extend another week or two and hit Omaha for the CWS so you could go to Bohemian Cafe right down the street from the ballpark.
    http://www.runza.com/runzaroadmaps.htm There are two runza huts in Lawrence you could hit on the way to Wichita in addition to my favorite
    brewery, Freestate, on Mass. streethttp://www.freestatebrewing.com/, if you enjoy beer. Two places I long for most as I'm 2000 miles away from KC are
    Go Chicken Go on 7th street north of central in KCK, and 55th and Troost in KCMO, and town topic, the best place to have a hamburger at 3 in the morning. if they still exist. locals?http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/ this is the place to go with your BBQ questions as the Q'ers seem to be up to date on all things Q
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac 2003/04/25 09:33:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

I believe current thinking in KC has LC's on blue parkway as the #1 place. Oklahoma joe's at 47th and mission rd is much admired.
    BB's lawnside BBQ on 85th is great as is sneads in martin city (sort of)Garazzo's (several locations)is a treat for Italian. Stephenson's apple farm at 40 hwy and noland rd. is an institution. and can't forget stroud's, though I notice people seem disappointed lately.
    It's too bad you couldn't extend another week or two and hit Omaha for the CWS so you could go to Bohemian Cafe right down the street from the ballpark.
    http://www.runza.com/runzaroadmaps.htm There are two runza huts in Lawrence you could hit on the way to Wichita in addition to my favorite
    brewery, Freestate, on Mass. streethttp://www.freestatebrewing.com/, if you enjoy beer. Two places I long for most as I'm 2000 miles away from KC are
    Go Chicken Go on 7th street north of central in KCK, and 55th and Troost in KCMO, and town topic, the best place to have a hamburger at 3 in the morning. if they still exist. locals?http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/ this is the place to go with your BBQ questions as the Q'ers seem to be up to date on all things Q

Thanks for the advice. I actually tried Runza's when I was in Nebraska about 5 years ago, I also went to the Bohemian Cafe, but that was years ago, probably around 1990 on one of my other cross country ventures. I thought now I would look for a local mom and pop place that had bierocks near Wichita. I'm on a schedule and figured I would be in the Wichita area around lunch time. Due to my extremely tight schedule, I won't be able to stop in Lawrence, however I do plan to check out the local brew pubs in each city I stop in.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac 2003/04/25 09:37:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndyNYC1

I'm a bit of a wandering Jew myself, having taken similar baseball trips e very summer for the past 10 years. My travelling buddy and I have only 2 rules: Never leave a game before the last out and never, EVER eat in a chain restaurant. Following those rules we've seen some great baseball and at a lot of great food. "Roadfood" and "Eat Your Way Across the USA" have been out guides.

My journey this year will take me to Cincinatti, Columbus, Louisville and perhaps Memphis. Looking forward to seeing those fine cities, watching great baseball, and eating mhy way across the midwest....AGAIN!

I agree Andy, I grew up on Long Island and I'm a big Yankees fan. I can always count on visiting old friends and seeing a Yankee game with them or even a Mets game if I'm in the mood. I wish I knew some people who would be willing to go around the country and check out the major/minor league ball parks with. Most, or actually all of my friends are just simply not into that.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac 2003/04/25 13:23:05 (permalink)
    I think the Major's are shooting themselves in the foot, by pricing a night at the ballpark above what the average person feels it is worth in entertainment value...Hence the dropping revenues and lower attendance these last few years.
    The Minor League's seem to have the interest of the local community rather than the national media as the target audience. Thus you can take a family to an evening game, eat some really good comfort food and enjoy the game without blowing your entertainment budget for the month at one event.
    In 1996 I took one of my sons to Anaheim Stadium to watch an Angels Game...$50 for two field level seats, 20 rows up from first base. $12 for two hot dogs (dressed out), $10 for one beer and one coke. $3 for the program/lineup, $6 for parking for a total of over $80 to watch a game. (7 years ago)
    We can go to a Bats game here in Louisville, have a really good meal and watch the game for less than $40. There is a differnce!
    topferment
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac 2003/04/28 11:41:38 (permalink)
    These are the two places here in Wichita that specialize in bierocks. I haven't personally tried them so I can't give a recommendation. I live near the west store and they renovated the place about a year ago. It looks very nice. We make our bierocks at home and they are a delicious combination of ground beef, onion, cabbage, cheese and mustard encased in a semi-sweet yeast dough. Saveur magazine issue #20 has the recipe we use.

East Wichita:
    Bierocks Kitchen
    2065 East Central Avenue, Wichita, KS 67214
    (316) 267-1777

West Wichita:
    Bierocks Kitchen
    245 South Tyler Road, Wichita, KS 67209
    (316) 721-3866

Herron
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac 2003/04/28 12:24:43 (permalink)
    I must add to the Stroud's recommendation. It is the best fried chicken I have ever tasted! The chicken soup is excellent, or if you get the salad, pay the extra for the blue cheese dressing. If you have been to Gates and Arthur Bryant's, this is definitely the other place you must eat at in Kansas City.
    Lawrence is just off the turnpike, so if you have a chance, do stop at Free State and pick up a jug of the beer to go. If you have time to stop, the onion rings are great. And if you make it that far, go a couple more blocks and pick up some bread, focaccia or lemon tarts from Wheatfield's, a true Lawrence institution.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: kansas city ok city wichita desmoines ballpark vac 2003/05/19 22:00:00 (permalink)
    hey WJ, I really think you should try the bbqforum address I posted above. LC's seems to be the Q of choice and blue parkway is not far from the stadium. Exit onto blue ridge and head south to blue parkway, then west. You got me intrigued about the bierrocks,http://www.seabrooktavern.com/, and found this place, and this place http://www.hutchnews.com/past/03-09-2003/bizag/bizag3.html; Hoisington may be too far out of the way but it sounded so good! I grew up in the Kansas City area which isn't the same as the rest of the state, and so you turned me on to an aspect of my home state I knew nothing about. http://www.gasbbq.net/-these guys are a bunch of hungry Q'ers who have the lowdown on Q around KC. http://www.wheretoforlunch.com/Bierocks.htm#SIDE ORDERS. another place I found + a recipe- http://www.plainsfolk.com/recipe/bierock.htm http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/entertainment/5698622.htm-I just thought you might like to read this article on KC's blooming ethnic scene even though you said you don't have time. so many choices... wish I was going. have fun.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1