Author
hella good tacos
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
2014/03/15 22:32:56 (permalink)

keeping potatoes warm

Hi there,

AGAIN not a food truck thread!

I am at odds with my best cook i have on staff on the method we are using for beakfast potatoes.  we have some other disagreements on methods, but this is a big one.

be fore i took over the diner, they have been using red potatoes, quartered, boiled, chilled stored in water in the walk in and then fried on the griddle.  they do big batches of them at a time which i feel is eating up a great deal of our griddle space and slowing down our ticket times.

aside from that, I don't like it.  I think the consistency is awful.

My solution/compromise was to roast reds in the oven and transfer them to the steam table to keep them warm.  This also was a complete failure.  we couldn't keep the potatoes warm.

I am considering frying hashbrowns o'brien style (cubed russets) then holding them on the steam table to serve.  My head cook and i are at odds with this method.

I have done it with my chorizo and potatoes and it has worked fine i am just curious to hear what others here feel about staging potatoes on a steam line and keeping them hot versus trying to par cook and then finish on the griddle.  

If it works for you can you share why?

If you think its a terrible idea could you please help me understand why? 

2 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2045
    Re:keeping potatoes warm 2014/03/16 16:15:18 (permalink)
    Personal preference, I have always held breakfast potatoes on the grill. It keeps them HOT and somewhat crisp, depending on how long they are holding for.
    How many breakfast covers are you doing?
    When I did movie catering, I could get 300 people fed in an hr or so, all cooked to order on a 5ft grill, potatoes on the cool side of the grill. Used the grill for breakfast sands, burritos, french toast, pancakes, etc. Pans for omelettes, OE & scrambles.
    Sometimes it was not pretty, but it's what we had to do. 
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:keeping potatoes warm 2014/03/17 18:03:10 (permalink)
    we are doing 200-300 covers a service day, which right now is from 5 am to 3pm week days and 5-2 and 6-2 on saturday and sundays respectively.  Thats about to change soon.

I guess this type of home fry is a new england thing.  People were going ape**** after i tried to change it.

My favorite breakfast potatoes were at a place in Monterey, CA called Awakenings.  They were herb roasted white potatoes.

I wanted to do something similar to that, but they don't keep in the steam table.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1