The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

krispy kreme ain't safe at all

mgr

• Total Posts: 1
krispy kreme ain't safe at all Fri, 07/30/04 1:58 AM (permalink)
i used to love krispy kreme doughnuts... my family even prefer it as a meal substitute once a week... but recently my family encountered a very traumatic experience... my sister almost choked to an inch long glass embedded in a krispy creme dougnut we bought from albertsons... she is being observed for possible glass ingestion... our lawyer is taking a closer look on this matter... it's just frustrating knowing what we ate for years is actually not safe at all..

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Fri, 07/30/04 3:37 AM (permalink)
    Sorry, but I suspect this is just as likely to happen at any donut place or any supermarket. All it takes is one sicko to slide a piece of glass into the donuts--or it could truly have fallen into the batter when they were being made. But I doubt very much it's any more likely to happen to a Krispy Kreme than to a Dunkin Donut or a Safeway donut or any other donut (or, indeed, any other unsealed food product). I'd hate to see and end to marketing of bulk pastries in the US, but because of this sort of thing it may happen. The safewayn where I most commonly shop has bins of bagels, for example, that anybody could tamper with, but they are darned good bagels (Marin Bagel Co.).

I'm sure your lawyer will get you a good settlement and you deserve it, but I'd really be surprised if he found something about Krispy Kremes causing this that wouldn't equally apply to other brands in other stores. Keep us posted, please.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
      RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Fri, 07/30/04 9:54 AM (permalink)
      im no big fan of KK but i dont think that one peice of glass in ten gazillion doughnuts makes them any more "unsafe" then any other foodstuff---and maybe it Albertsons that was unsafe not KK---be nice to know where the glass came from. BT is right---all it takes is one sicko---for example just this week some creep that ought to be strung up, tampered with baby food out in California---hard to place blame on the baby food maker---Gerber i beleive---or the store it was bought in--cant remembewr who that was,but evidendently it was done after the product was delivered to the store.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
        RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Fri, 07/30/04 10:40 AM (permalink)
        I know that I am the resident skeptic here, but why does this have the ugly sound of an internet urban legend all over it. I am not saying that it DIDN'T happen, but this is a first post -- and this is what you choose to post about -- on this forum? I don't know if I get it. Is it possible that the poster may, for whatever reason, have a beef with either Albertson's or Krispy Kreme? I suppose my gut would tell me that if the same story were written by The Mayor, Sundancer, Bushie, et al I would be more inclined to immediately accept it as fact.

On the other hand, if Clothier had written it....well, never mind.

Steve

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
          RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Fri, 07/30/04 10:57 AM (permalink)
          I agree with stevekoe...chances are good we'll never hear from this poster again.

A quick search of the news on this turned up nothing. I would say I am about 90 percent sure this did not even happen.

The Travelin Man

RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Fri, 07/30/04 11:02 AM (permalink)
            You know, I will feel really bad if I am proven to be wrong, but sometimes you just gotta go with your gut. However, there is nothing on snopes.com -- YET!

Steve

ChiliDog

• Total Posts: 126
              RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Fri, 07/30/04 11:35 AM (permalink)
              I'll add my "voice" to those of Stevekoe and Renfrew. I have no doubt in my mind that we are witnessing the (attempted) birth of an urban legend. Hmm... that would make for an interesting thread, food related urban/internet myths.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Fri, 07/30/04 12:39 PM (permalink)
                Is it permissable to ask what happened to Clothier? I came on board in early March and clothier had maybe just been banned from the boards
                quote:
                Originally posted by stevekoe

I know that I am the resident skeptic here, but why does this have the ugly sound of an internet urban legend all over it. I am not saying that it DIDN'T happen, but this is a first post -- and this is what you choose to post about -- on this forum? I don't know if I get it. Is it possible that the poster may, for whatever reason, have a beef with either Albertson's or Krispy Kreme? I suppose my gut would tell me that if the same story were written by The Mayor, Sundancer, Bushie, et al I would be more inclined to immediately accept it as fact.

On the other hand, if Clothier had written it....well, never mind.

Steve

Sundancer7

RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Fri, 07/30/04 1:39 PM (permalink)
                  The Sundancer is suspect of the post. I guarantee if it is an attempt to get favor, the law will discover it. The interviews from a complaint like this go on for hours. Any hole in the complaint will be viewed with suspicion and will finally be found out. I have seen it here in Knoxville.

I sincerely hope that the person with the complaint is credible, but if not, I hope they bust their butt.

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
                    RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Fri, 07/30/04 2:20 PM (permalink)
                    Please let me address the issue of "new poster." I got flamed earlier this year when I first posted, and would have never come back to "our clubhouse" if someone didn't write me and say something like "you'll see they'll be nicer when they see you're sticking around."

No one should believe everything they read on the internet, anyway. After all, I bet the Fox "News" Channel has a website that repeats the prevarications they put out on cable TV.

Second the motion on "What's all this about Clothier?"! I get on my high horse about some things. Am I at risk of being banned?

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                      RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Fri, 07/30/04 4:37 PM (permalink)
                      Being a manly man, I often order the glass donuts from KK. I think what happened was that they sent out one of those with the regular dozen by mistake.

Seriously, mgr, I hope your sister is OK. No reason to pad a lawyer's pocket, though.

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                        RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Sat, 07/31/04 10:55 PM (permalink)
                        dear mgr, have you encountered a vanishing hitchhiker on the road recently, and have you come across a choking dobermann in your closet? If not, maybe your lawyer will get you some well deserved compensation for your donut glass. I mean no disrespect, but I for one haven't seen anything in the media about this. You would have think we would have.

zussers

• Total Posts: 232
                          RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Sat, 07/31/04 11:27 PM (permalink)
                          Dear MGR, If you are a sincere poster, then welcome and I am sorry for your sister and am glad she is ok. If not..well..

The Travelin Man

RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Sun, 08/1/04 1:11 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Bushie

Being a manly man, I often order the glass donuts from KK.

Lovely!

And, as far as "new posters" go, I surely do not mean to be hostile in any way. However, [start unfair overgeneralization] it does seem as though the newer posters do not attempt to familiarize themselves with the board at all before they just start posting stuff. I would think that most folks when faced with a new situation would take some time to evaluate what the norms and standards dictate. Frankly, I find the folks around here to be a whole lot MORE tolerant of newbies than many other boards I read. I know how much it bothers me when I see someone start a brand new thread on a given topic, say "Where is a good place to eat in NYC?", without having done a single search to see how much information is available already. I think that it would be more beneficial to all of us, to have one consolidated thread with all the NYC information -- rather than 10-12 splintered threads that you would then have to read and find which ones actually have the most relevant, up-to-date, and accurate information. Also, I think posters are less inclined to answer someone's inquiry that has already been asked. I also think that you will find that you will be better accepted the longer you stay active on any online community, such as this.

As for the original post, I said that I will feel really bad if this is true and I doubted it -- much the same way I will feel bad for thinking Scott Peterson is the killer, if in fact, he is not.

Just my .02...

Steve

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                              RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Sun, 08/1/04 8:20 PM (permalink)
                              quote:

As for the original post, I said that I will feel really bad if this is true and I doubted it -- much the same way I will feel bad for thinking Scott Peterson is the killer, if in fact, he is not.

Scott Peterson IS the killer, and OJ did it, and Bill Clinton raped Juanita Broderick. Some things you just KNOW...

(I'm serious.)

bou

• Total Posts: 1
                                RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Sun, 08/1/04 8:56 PM (permalink)
                                I am glad the idea of urban legends had arisen in this discussion because this has all the makings of a classic one. Accident such as the one listed can happen to any one of us at any establishment and it is that fear that breads the legends. I'll amit that I don't want to believe it because it is so horrible, and if it is true I am so very sorry and I hope everyone's healthy. And For the record, I am good southern girl who loves a Krispy Kreme. I don't have them very often now, but when I do it's like heaven. I don't think I could give them up.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                  RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Mon, 08/2/04 1:08 AM (permalink)
                                  A hint for MGR: a truly successful new urban legend has to capture a product at the height of its popularity. Krispy Kreme doughnuts aren't as hot, excuse the pun, as they were a couple years ago, and therefore, your attempt at ULing is a little past its sell-by date, much like the boxes of KKs you see at places like Albertsons. Now, if you'd said that she'd eaten a stale KK and a piece of the glaze had gotten so hard and stale that it had created a jagged edge that had cut her mouth severely, now, you might have gotten some mileage out of that.

Remember, a truly effective UL is a morality play: the person has to have suffered some trauma that would have been avoided if she had been more virtuous. The old-glaze UL would have focused in on a peculiarity of the product in question -- remember that the old Bubble Yum-has-spider eggs story was effective because BY was much softer and spongier than any other gum available at the time -- and also would have provided the story with a moral: don't buy the crappy stale KKs at the supermarket, go to the store and get them while the hot light is on!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                                    RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Mon, 08/2/04 4:37 AM (permalink)

Originally posted by emsmom

Is it permissable to ask what happened to Clothier? I came on board in early March and clothier had maybe just been banned from the boards.

While he did have some shady doings with a bagel/doughnut firm in Saginaw, MI, his passion to design attractive attire for animals was what did him in......check out redtressed's findings http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3755&whichpage=5

The Travelin Man

RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Mon, 08/2/04 11:55 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Scott Peterson IS the killer, and OJ did it, and Bill Clinton raped Juanita Broderick. Some things you just KNOW...

(I'm serious.)

Oh, and I suppose now you are going to have me believe that Mark Hacking is somehow responsible for the disappearance of his wife, too???? <we need an eye-rolling smiley!>

Steve

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                                        RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Mon, 08/2/04 12:28 PM (permalink)
                                        Clothier was banned from these boards. He is on egullet now I believe. As for why exactly, no one is really saying.

I did not mean to bash newbies eithers, after all everyone was one at some point. But to just post once about something that strikes me as the fodder for an urban legend and a "my lawyer is looking closely at this" kind of story is just irresponsible. It'd be nice if he checked back in too...

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                                          RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Mon, 08/2/04 1:13 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Please let me address the issue of "new poster." I got flamed earlier this year when I first posted, and would have never come back to "our clubhouse" if someone didn't write me and say something like "you'll see they'll be nicer when they see you're sticking around."

No one should believe everything they read on the internet, anyway. After all, I bet the Fox "News" Channel has a website that repeats the prevarications they put out on cable TV.

Second the motion on "What's all this about Clothier?"! I get on my high horse about some things. Am I at risk of being banned?

Michael,

I don't remember seeing anyone get flamed on this forum. Ignored,yes....or having your post set off pages of unconnected "humor",yes. If your first post is to promote your business, you are not likely to be well received. If you add a reply such as "anybody that likes doodah is stupid" or " doodah is digusting" you are likely to be ignored. Saying "I can't stand doodah" is much less in your face.

I would not be worried about being banned. It is not done casually and I am sure there is a lot of behind the scenes email that we don't see and is none of our business.

One new poster came back and said that they have never been on a more unfriendly board........it's kind of an inside joke. It is a very friendly board.

Cakes

citizengeek

• Total Posts: 13
                                            RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Mon, 08/2/04 2:11 PM (permalink)
                                            The "internet authority" (if that's not a paradox) on urban legends is [url]www.snopes.com[/url].

The only doughnut/donut legend they've recorded is this charming piece of jingoistic slander aimed at Dunkin Donuts:

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/dunkin.htm

The interface is a bit cheesy, but even leading folklorist Jan Brunvand refers people to it for current information.

It's a great place for a online day-trip. WARNING: Snopes.com is almost as addictive as roadfood.com...

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
                                              RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Mon, 08/2/04 2:33 PM (permalink)
                                              Cakes: any hints on where to get good doodah in New England?

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                                                RE: krispy kreme ain't safe at all Mon, 08/2/04 2:54 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Cakes: any hints on where to get good doodah in New England?

At the Camptown Races.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com